[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Keeping the same format in all your work.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
After lurking several bodies of work from professionals, i notice that all of the images maintain the same size in like, 99%.
It's obvious that they have some solid capacity of framing directly in camera, but they also sacrifice some elements in some images to keep this consistent size?
How should i treat images that wouldnt work in this "chosen size"? what should i prioritize?
>>
>fill a 64gb card everyday
>~2000 photos
>~730000 photos a year
>portfolio is usually <100 photos

there, if you have a certain "format" you just have to fit 0.000136% of your photos taken
>>
You can always crop then enlarge.
>>
I like the looks of 16:9 for landscape but think it is too tall for portrait, so crop to 8:10. I don't know if I have almost no shots that don't conform to those ratio/ orientation.
>>
>>2801307
>2000 shots a day
holy mother of snapshits
>>
Unless you're trying to make them all the same aspect ratio for a specific reason, or you're just talking about finding your general favorite AR, don't.

Sometimes moving from 3:2 to 4:5 can improve an image. Unless cohesion with the rest of a set is the goal of a photo, you should not be cuckolded by arbitrary restrictions on aspect ratio.

I personally shoot 3:2, 1:1, 4:5, 16:9 in that order.
>>
>>2801498
>taking advice from isi
protip: don't
>>
>taking advice from people that think making all of their images share dimensions is how you make a cohesive portfolio
protip: don't
>>
>>2801320
or, you know, you could be shooting sports or wildlife
2K is not out of the ordinary for either of those
>>
>>2801533
How on earth do you find 2000 opportunities to take a photo per day shooting wildlife? I tend to run more in the 10-20 area, if I'm lucky.
>>
>>2801545
He's shooting burst and actually keeping every frame for some reason.
>>
>>2801545
If you fly 3000 miles to the animal's natural habitat and shoot something interesting and unusual in its natural environment, you take more than 10 photos. If you walk to the park and shoot pidgins, yeah, maybe 10 photos is enough.
>>
>>2801578
Let's not present our fantasies, anon. You're not shooting endangered rainbowildebeasts either.
>>
>>2801581
I don't shoot wildlife at all, but the comment the guy made that's in question is:
>you could be shooting sports or wildlife
>2K is not out of the ordinary for either of those

And while you can take your 5Dc to a 12 year old's flag football game and take 8 photos, and you can take your iPhone to your backyard and take 11 photos, people who are doing those things for real will take lots and lots of photos.
>>
>How should i treat images that wouldnt work in this "chosen size"? what should i prioritize?
You prioritize the look you are going for in each image. If they maintain the same theme or "style" then it doesn't matter if the aspect ratio differs.

Most photographers have similar aspect ratios across a large body of work because they've found a framing system that works for them but that doesn't mean you need to stick to it. If you want your work to go together well in a set or portfolio than it'll be doing it on several other levels than just the aspect ratio
>>
FWIW one thing that sat with me in a photog seminar I sat in on in like '93 from a Nat Geo staff photog.

"I'll sit in a blind sometimes for weeks not shooting" then in 10 minutes blow through 8 rolls of film. Out of those I have 10 keepers and a 1 in 10 shot of having a cover."

I shoot nature the same way. I might go out and not take a single shot.
OR I might take 200.

It depends on the moment and when you're trying to capture things in flight/in motion err on the side of too many. Especially with digital. You can make the shot, but you can't make the moment.
>>
>>2801810

are you fucked in the head?
>>
any photographer that is constantly changing his aspect ratios or even coming up with weird croppings that arent even legit ratios is an amateur still finding "his thing". just a reminder.
>>
File: DP1M0819.jpg (584 KB, 1972x730) Image search: [Google]
DP1M0819.jpg
584 KB, 1972x730
>>2801937
>weird croppings that arent even legit ratios
I'm not sure I used a "legit ratio", what should I do?!

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSIGMA
Camera ModelSIGMA DP1 Merrill
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.6
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Focal Length Range19
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2015:04:27 09:50:17
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length19.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1972
Image Height730
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Unique Image ID3030333132323837511FFF5445333833
ResolutionHI
Autofocus ModeAF-S
Focus SettingAF-S
Exposure ModeA
Metering ModeA
Exposure-0.8
Contrast-1.0
Shadow-0.9
Highlight1
Saturation1.1
Sharpness1.9
Fill Light1.0
Color AdjustmentInfinite
>>
>>2801947
>I'm not sure I used a "legit ratio", what should I do?!

find your thing.
>>
>>2801947
i love this photo
>>
>>2802019
>generic upboat tripfag

aaand filtered ;)
>>
>>2801503
Buuuurn

Hey, >>2801506 how are your third degree burns??
>>
>>2802303
/p/ is worse than /b/

protip: I mean you, not him.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.