[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm considering a watermark even though I hate them.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: NZ_Watermark.jpg (361 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
NZ_Watermark.jpg
361 KB, 700x466
So I'm considering a watermark even though I hate them. How does one avoid looking like a bored housewife on pinterest?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
PhotographerNate Zeman
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width700
Image Height466
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2011:08:08 03:06:23
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width700
Image Height466
>>
add a border to only one side of the image, like the bottom, put your watermark on that

http://www.davidkennardphotography.com/blog/838-why-im-now-using-watermarks-on-my-photos.xhtml
>>
Wow, I think this is the first time in years I've come to /p/ for advice, and in a quick time gotten an honest and reasonable response.
Thank you for not being an autistic shitchild.
>>
>>2799461
use mspaint and put it in the least detailed corner of the photo.
>>
>>2799461
>So I'm considering a watermark even though I hate them
Why?
>>
>>2799461
bump for interest
>>
>>2799582
And there's the shitchild.
>>2799585
I've started noticing my stuff being reposted. Most people who repost it directly give credit, but by the second or third people dont.
>>
>>2800825

cry some more faggot. if you don't want it stolen, don't post it.
>>
>>2800825
>I've started noticing my stuff being reposted. Most people who repost it directly give credit, but by the second or third people dont.
So? What are you missing out on? Were you otherwise selling the images? What will the recognition gain you?
>>
>>2799467
Mah niggah
>>
there are 2 things i suggest:

1.) Make the watermark interesting, catchy and SUBTLE. Its as easy as your initials with a line under it, or a web address if need be. Then, you need to be subtle. Put them in the corners of your photo, with the opacity at around 20-40%.

2.)I suggest only doing them for professional gigs only. like portraits and wedding photos that are posted to facebook. That way, when the brides girlfriends share the ever living fuck out of them, people know who took the photos right away. DONT use them on your other ametuer shit, it only makes you look even more pretentious and snobby.
>>
>>2799461
There's a plugin for GIMP called Fourier Watermark (included in G'MIC) that makes a 100% invisible watermark, that can still be decoded even after JPEG compression takes place. See http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1581962.html

Basically, first apply the effect Fourier Watermark to add the watermark, and then to decode it, apply Fourier Analysis.
>>
File: what not to do.png (3 MB, 1615x863) Image search: [Google]
what not to do.png
3 MB, 1615x863
>>2802474
This is one of the dumbest objections imaginable.

Subtle works well, just don't be like this jackoff.
Whatever it is, the text needs to pop your site/you when searched if you want it to be effective in getting your name out there.
>>
>>2799461
Watermarks are to make money. If you're selling your ability to take the photos, put them on your website/portfolio without watermark. If people steal them, who cares. You're advertising your skills, not the photo, and someone taking the photo who can't reproduce it does them no good other than getting them a few views.

If you're selling the photo itself, then it shouldn't be up on social media in high res anyways, but if you're doing it on a site with sales, a simple "Sample" or whatever across the front is plenty.
>>
>>2803225
>If people steal them, who cares. You're advertising your skills, not the photo, and someone taking the photo who can't reproduce it does them no good other than getting them a few views.
Wrong attitude...it's not a matter of them getting a few views, it's them getting a few views that's not in some way advertising your site. You want people to share your shit with your watermark because that means more people are seeing it.
>>
>>2803228
>advertising your site
for what purpose?
>>
>>2803230
Recognition, business, or just whatever reason you created the site for in the first place.
>>
>>2802474
Well, people asked about the shots and the client's product. Having a watermark to direct them to a website seemed like a better way to let them know than chasing down individual questions.
But hey...I'm the kinda guy who enjoys seeing other photographers/modles/clients succeed instead of coming to /p/ to shit on everything because I'm too incompetent to discuss things like an adult, you smug asshole.
>>
>>2803223
>Should this post be reported or a 2.61MB image file? I'm neeew here guys but doesn't the sticky say 1MB file size limit??? This is killing my dial-up
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.