[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gear Bag
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11
File: 811IONxAOhL._SL1487_.jpg (247 KB, 1487x1140) Image search: [Google]
811IONxAOhL._SL1487_.jpg
247 KB, 1487x1140
What kind of bag do you use for your gear? I bought this at BH Photo while in NYC because the bag I had with me fell apart. I'm not a huge fan of this bag. Is there a hidden gem amongst gear bags out there? For example, something you could use while say shooting a wedding/can be brought on a plane as a "personal item"?
I do have a Pelican case for travel protection and whatnot, but I'd love a decent bag for field use.
>>
>>2799209

i never use a bag that screams HEY LOOK IMA PHOTOGRAPHER I CARRY PRETTY EXPENSIVE ITEMS INSIDE PLEASE RAPE MY FACE AND STEAL MY SHIT. i use a backpack most of the time.
>>
>>2799216
This
Im fond of my cheesy tactical backpack that has a couple of lame patches
>>
>>2799209
Domke F-2. Pure functuonality

>>2799216
>>2799232
The camera will more than likely be in my hand ready to use so having a bag that pretends it is something else is pretty pointless.

Also

As soon as you take a tripod out you give the game away.

People don't steal bags just because they might have cameras in, they also steal them because they think they might have phones, tablets, credit cards, cash and other useful items. The camera bag that doesn't look like a camera bag is just a marketing ploy
>>
>>2799301
I guess "travel protection" was a little vague. I meant that as more of a protection against the elements and banging around.

I agree that a camera will likely be in hand at a wedding, I typically have them strapped to my body at that point. For all my other accessories though my current bag is far from ideal in terms of carrying it around with me and having easy access. Thanks for the recommendation though! I'll check it out!
>>
>>2799209
I carry a waxed leather messenger bag with a generic eBay camera insert. It's the sort of material that picks up a bit of a patina over time so it looks nice and worn and old, really disguises the fact that it's holding about $2k in camera gear and an expensive laptop since it looks like any other student bag.

The one I have is from Fossil and was about $140
>>
>>2799310
>The one I have is from Fossil and was about $140
And that's a more likely reason for it to be stolen than if the knew it contained camera gear.

Y'all don't realize camera gear is hard as fuck to move. Thieves actually avoid that shit.
>>
>>2799308
The F-2 fits in the overhead bins on airplanes, or under the seat in front of you. It's also waterproof ... unless you put it in the washing machine, which you can also do. Though I advise you remove the foam padding from the inserts first
>>
I've been using the amazon basics bag, it's pretty alright, I'm sure there are tons of better bags but you can't beat the price for a new item.
>>
>>2799326
>>2799301
this thieves hope for a macbook, tablet or phone, not a leica that they cant sell. Have a Lowepro aw sling 120, light and more important, has rain cover.
>>
>>2799209
>>
The everyday messenger bag man
Its so pretty
>>
Any cheap alternative to Billingham styled bags?
>>
>>2799528
>everyday messenger bag
>literally wearing a purse
>so pretty
People like you get funny looks in my country. Or a stone to the head.
>>
>>2799534
NatGeo
No, seriously, the new desert colored series messenger bag looks very nice.
>>
File: billingham digital.jpg (100 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
billingham digital.jpg
100 KB, 500x333
Just ordered a Billingham Hadley Digital today.
>>
File: IMG_2499.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2499.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
I use that $25 Amazon Basic bag because it literally fit all my needs, especially the cost.

This is it fully loaded how I normally take it when I'm leaving the house, but if I'm going to go do something specific I adjust it to my needs because when it's fully loaded it's like 40lbs...

List of contents:
Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 50D
Canon Elan (35mm Film)

Rokinon 14mm f/2.8
Canon 28mm f/1.8
Canon 50mm f/1.4

Yongnuo YN560 III Flash
Yongnuo Brand Wireless Flash Trigger (don't know the model #)

Various accessories in the storage poaches (extra batteries, microfiber cloth, shutter release, notebook w/ pen, etc)

And the most important piece of gear in my bag... a hacky sack (Sandmaster)

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 5c
Camera SoftwareMicrosoft Windows Photo Viewer 6.1.7600.16385
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)33 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:03:23 16:08:36
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/2.4
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating2500
Lens Aperturef/2.4
Brightness-3.7 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.12 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2448
Image Height3264
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: 51BAGNujnIL._SY400_.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
51BAGNujnIL._SY400_.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>2799350

Except for this baby right here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TH5I0F6/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?qid=1458785916&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=igadgitz+bag

Cost me 20 quid shipment included and not only it's discrete and useful for gear+your everyday carry, it comes with rain cover.

You can get a 150$ that is made out of an ultra hi-tech waterproof fabric, or get one made out of regular waterproof nylon and an attachable plastic cover on top. Nothing is better weather sealed.
>>
>>2799216
Pretty much this, I use a 15 dollar Everest messenger bag, would not recommend but it works
>>
I don't use a camera bag, but I do use a messenger bag sometimes.
I picked a bag that looked okay, wasn't too bulky and matched the height of my camera. I waterproofed it and I dump my camera into it. If I'm feeling especially fragile I'll pad the bottom of the bag with something.
It's worked well so far and the only thing people assume I have in my bad is a massive supply of dildos.
>>2799350
Any bag is fine. As long as the camera fits into it. You can get "lens" pouches and the like on ebay for less than a quid.
>>2800027
>You can get a 150$ that is made out of an ultra hi-tech waterproof fabric, or get one made out of regular waterproof nylon and an attachable plastic cover on top. Nothing is better weather sealed.
Why not weather seal it yourself? It's not hard to waterproof a fabric at all, and it's certainly not expensive.
>2799535
>People like you get funny looks in my country. Or a stone to the head.
desu, your country should be wiped off the map to preserve mankind.
>>
I have a Lowepro Hatchback backpack. It's pretty awesome since it has an area for photography gear, but also other areas for other shit. It's more for people who carry a body and a lens or two than someone who lugs around a shit ton of gear, but yea it's been great.
>>
>>2799209
I'm not much into sling packs but this Hazard 4 one looks sweet.
Right now I'm carrying an Element camp edition with an insert, works fine, not fast tho
>>
>>2799535
Do you live in Niggerstan? I can't think about a single first world country that cares about men using bags, in what shithole do you live?
>>
>>2800818
Do you take photos on Mars often?
>>
I need a bag that can carry a tripod
>>
I got one of those National Geographic messenger bags from Aliexpress, but it's kind of boxy and big for EDC. I mostly just take my X-T10 and GR + maybe one film body anyway.

I have an insert like this, but it's too big for my two great and inconspicuous military surplus bags. Bah.
>>
File: 61aODyeabWL._SY355_.jpg (11 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
61aODyeabWL._SY355_.jpg
11 KB, 355x355
>>2800920
Forgot pic.
>>
Not sure whether to post this here or the gear thread but any recommendations for a cheap but good back sling strap? The slide looks really good but it costs a lot
>>
File: IMG_6233.jpg (589 KB, 2548x796) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6233.jpg
589 KB, 2548x796
Only actual photography bag I own is some old gigantic all weather lowepro, I only pack it when I know I'll need both bodies, several lenses and flashes. Otherwise I use a small canvas courier bag for when I'm just out shooting for myself and if it's a small shoot (like a reccy or something I know I'll only need one body/one lens and a flash for) I'll use the cheap army bag I got in Germany.

I would fucking kill for an original domke f2. If I had that I would make it work for everything and fuck all the other bags out.

>>2801005
where do you live?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.4 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:03:25 18:25:35
Exposure Time1/50 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length33.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
using a Finnish milsurp gasmask bag
sort of like a smaller messenger bag.
fits my a6000, nissin i40 flash and an extra lens
>>
>>2801014
Singapore but online sites are fine too
And love the wax on your bag
>>
File: 61l3a25NI0L._SL1000_.jpg (110 KB, 909x1000) Image search: [Google]
61l3a25NI0L._SL1000_.jpg
110 KB, 909x1000
Thoughts on the Veloce V by Manfrotto?

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MB-SB390-5BB-VELOCE-Backpack/dp/B004TA6Y8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459109960&sr=8-1&keywords=manfrotto+veloce

Aesthetically it's not my favorite, but functionality-wise, I think is one of the best I've seen, and the price is pretty fair.

My other options are the Manfrotto Active 1, which I think looks great but it doesn't seem like you can fit as much, and I'd rather have a tripod on the inside of the bag, instead of screaming "steal me" by being carried on the side.
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MB-MA-BP-A1-Advanced-Backpack/dp/B00FJVE1NC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459110114&sr=8-1&keywords=manfrotto+active+1

and the Lowepro 22L, which kinda looks like a hiking bag, but, compared to the Active 1, it's way more safe:
http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Photo-Hatchback-Camera-Backpack/dp/B008OQUX22/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1459110242&sr=8-3&keywords=lowepro
>>
>>2802508
It looks alright:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO9VmrqK1j4
>>
>>2801074
bought one of those camera bag inserts from ebay for $12 and it's pretty neat. the measurements fits the gas mask bag perfectly
>>
Can anyone recommend a decent lens holder for like belt or attaching to a belt loop?

I usually just carry my camera with a BlackRapid and then a lens case for the spare/alternative lens.

Only issue is having a shoulder strap lens bag sucks with the BlackRapid. Prefer something handsfree but that won't look dorky as hell.
>>
>>2802550
anything that attaches to your belt is gonna look dorky as hell
>>
>>2799459
I'm really considering getting this one after my current backpack becomes unusable. Can anyone recommend this?
>>
Timbuk2 Snoop small for exploring / everyday, just looks like a normal bag and doesn't say "camera gear inside, pls steal" Also being waterproof saved my bacon the other week when I dunked it in a culvert by accident. It also can be jetwashed when it becomes extremely dirty.

Domke F-6 'Little Bit Smaller' for weddings, fits 4 lenses, water, spare body, batteries etc in a very small bag. Used to use think tank but their straps were 2bulky4me.
>>
>2016
>not keeping your camera on a shoulder strap under your jacket
>not carrying a second lens in your pocket
It's like you want people to know that you're a massive dork.
>>
>>2804981
>i use point and shoots
>i have my own successful mommy photog page on fb pls share
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.