[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
- How can I improve? -
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10
File: DSC_2628.jpg (867 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2628.jpg
867 KB, 1000x667
How can I improve?
feel free to critique all you want, be as negative or as positive,
just please leave some constructive criticism.
>>
File: DSC_2748.jpg (653 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2748.jpg
653 KB, 1000x667
>>2796479
>>
plz
>>
>>2796481
I'm a beginner and I am not sure about my pics too but this is what I think:

- Not sure what youre idea was with this picture. Try to find an interesting subject or use some kind of leading line in your picture.(In this case impressive tree or an animal, not a bunch of dead trees and branches.)
- Sky is really blown out, try hdr to get some more detail in the sky.
-
>>
>>2796624
Sky's not blown out it was an overcast day here in Ireland, Thanks for the advice :)
>>
>>2796479
I really like this one but I'm not sure why, maybe the grey colors that make the forest look a little bit creepy. Just like the other picture I can't really seem to find an interesting subject or line. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems there is a trail in the picture. Maybe you could have made a picture of the trail leading into the distance. This really attracts the eye to the picture.
>>
>>2796648
I have a few shots of that, but they just don't interest me, I'll play around in Photoshop with them and post'em.
>>
File: DSC_2737.jpg (485 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2737.jpg
485 KB, 1000x667
>>
>>2796662
This is what I meant with leading lines. In comparison with your second pic, this pic has something to look at while the second pic is just a bunch of branches Nicely done. I like the dark/creepy feeling it gives me.
>>
File: DSC_2690.jpg (433 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2690.jpg
433 KB, 1000x667
>>
>>2796667
underexposed, harsch flash light, not really like it.
>>
Your photos are lacking a subject. These are good backgrounds just asking for a human element.
>>
>>2796676
Yeah I would of loved a subject but I have no friends lol
>>
File: Jazz_3.jpg (5 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
Jazz_3.jpg
5 MB, 5184x3456
>>2796678
It doesn't really need to be a human. Try shooting animals, or an interesting subject that you don't see every day.

I shot this pic of my cat not sure if it is great but I personally thinks it does.
>>
>>2796678
Get a tripod. Be your own friend.
>>
File: DSC_2751.jpg (635 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2751.jpg
635 KB, 1000x667
>>
File: SF.jpg (413 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
SF.jpg
413 KB, 1000x667
>>
i suspect this is a proper photographer taking the piss
whats wrong with each pic isnt universal
these baited threads seem a lot more regular now, i dont see the point, is it a class project on opinion? was you crisisized over a pic you thought was good and you're proving a point? i dont get it
>>
>>2796631
Trust him, the sky is blown out. Even overcast skies have detail. It's difficult to fix that beyond having a camera that has a lot of dynamic range or doing multiple exposures though.
>>
>>2796702
>>2798631
these two are a lot better because of their leading lines. being drawn from the edge of a frame to the middle is usually a much better prospect than nowhere as in your first two.

in both cases they even can replace the need for a subject. granted they could definitely still use a little more going on to make things interesting but an improvement over the first two pics.
>>
>>2798756
I find a lot of the criticism on /p/ comes from subjective tastes.

I've seen people dismiss breathtaking landscape shots as "boring" and "without a subject" on here and at the same time praised a photo of a wall.

A lot of it will come down to just what people enjoy and what they dislike. The only feedback you can really trust is advice about composition and PP.
>>
>>2798757
>Even overcast skies have detail.
Except for when they don't, which is quite often in a LOT of places in the world. And what detail would there be that would matter to that photo?

You don't always need detail in every spot in your image. In many cases, detail is distracting. If there were minor gradations and tonal variation in that sky, would it really make the photo better somehow? or would it just calm your autistic technician's checklist mind?
>>
>>2798757
>>2798827

I have to agree with 827 here.
I live in Ireland and sometimes you get overcast skies which are just a blanket of solid white. If you want to get detail you have to fuck with dehazing and clarity in post processing and results in a complete mess.
Really all you can do is tone down the brightness of the sky and leave it as the solid white that it is.
>>
>>2798823
A lot of it also comes from fears and challenges that the "critiquer" is going through. When someone dreams of taking photos on the street of someone's face, but is too afraid to do it, he tends to value street-face shots more than someone who isn't afraid of it. Not because it's great, but because he's impressed that the photo was taken at all. The same goes for photos of attractive girls, photos of other parts of the world, etc. There's also the other side of the coin. People who have decided they could never take those types of photos (subconsciously) and so they decide they're all stupid and boring anyway, so no matter what the photographer's actual goal was, or how well they achieved that goal, the photo gets attacked.

Critique should never come from your personal taste, or your personal experience. Critique should be a judgement of how well the artist achieved his goal. Not what you want his goal to have been.

Nobody will ever grow from comments like "Stop shooting what you like, and start shooting what I like in stead"
Photographers CAN grow from "I see you wanted to achieve X, but you failed due to these three issues, here's how you would get around those problems next time"
>>
>>2796702
Try without the pole in the way
>>
>>2798756
I'm not a proper photographer by any means, just looking to improve, which good constructive criticism does help...
>>
>>2798831
Yay Irish Photographers, Where you from?
>>
File: DSC_2965.jpg (2 MB, 2763x1842) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2965.jpg
2 MB, 2763x1842
I try my hands at sport photography how did they come out?

>inb4 newfag read sticky
>>
File: crack.jpg (1 MB, 970x1758) Image search: [Google]
crack.jpg
1 MB, 970x1758
I had good Craic lads
>>
File: DSC_3067.jpg (2 MB, 2792x1862) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3067.jpg
2 MB, 2792x1862
>>
>>2800167
>>2800168
>>2800173

I think a big problem with all your photos is that you've missed focus on the subject.
You also need a faster shutter speed and your editing has done this weird thing to the edges of the players
>>
>>2800167
1) Newfag read the sticky, your photos don't need to be all random dimensions and they don't need to be 2800 pixels across and a jpg that size should not take up 2 megabytes.
2) Did you do some weird masking and blurring or sharpening or something around the players? It's very obvious and looks really bad.
3) Use a faster shutter speed and try to actually get them in focus
4) The background is incredibly distracting, especially the ambulance and the EMTs in fluorescent outfits
5) The first photo is the closest to being the right moment, but the blue out of focus guy on the left is not in a good pose, the foot sticking into the edge of the frame is bad, and the green out of focus guy on the right is important to the photo but he's out of focus and half out of the frame and doesn't stand out well. The second photo is stupid and the third is also not quite timed right.
>>
>>2798827
It's like this in Seattle, it sucks.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.