[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why black and white?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
What's the point of black and white photography in this day and age? Or rather what IS it about black and white that appeals? Is it just some kind of reverence for tradition. Is it that our foundations for aesthetic appreciation in photography emerge from a history of black and white?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2009:09:27 16:19:18
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1024
Image Height816
>>
>>2794898
At least wait until the previous version of this shitposting falls off the board.
>>2791478
>>
>>2794898

read more, you uncultured faggot.
>>
some photos don't need color to convey their message, sometimes color even takes away from certain compositions. Its like cropping, if color isn't important (which it often is), remove it.
>>
OP, a question for you.

How would colour improve the image that you posted?
>>
>>2794911
>>2794904
Wow, I never said there was anything wrong with black and white. Of course the pure tonality is beautiful. I was just trying to discuss the reason it still pervades modern photography and what draws us to it.
>>
>>2794907
point
>>
if the contrast in the photo solely lies in differences in luminance, b&w can emphasise that contrast. if the contrast lies solely in the colours, it will look shit in b&w.

the point of highest contrast, where your eye will automatically go can be in two completely different places in b & w and colour.

bad example, but it illuminates the concept:
if a photo has the point of highest contrast on the subject, but theres a set of complimentary colours in a spot that diverts the gaze; you could turn it black and white and remove that interruption
>>
>>2794898
You can use a different tonality
>>
>>2795267
Makes sense. Really cool.
>>
File: _MG_4366.jpg (176 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
_MG_4366.jpg
176 KB, 667x1000
>>2794898
As someone who has only shot BW film for the last year and with honest intention of sticking with it for life, here are my reasons:

> Because of the ease of development, BW film means i can do every process of my photography myself from shooting to developing to printing

> BW removes the element of colour from my decisions when taking a photo. As someone still progressing, this has helped me focus on composition, interesting scenes and even more importantly, light and how it affects my shots without worrying about jarring colors.

>Im toying with the idea of Fine Art prints and becoming le arty faggot. BW prints look so much better framed and on a wall, colour can look fucking cool, but it can also clash with the situation in which it would be hung

>Dank Contrast Dank Grain: Lets be honest, digital grain and colour grain looks shit, but with bw film you have a licence to get down right dirty and abuse that sexy sexy grain giving you a chance for texture and low light photography that just plain looks shit with colour. Moriyama and Nakahira for example

Everything i said above is a bit of a generalization, im a big fan of some colour photographers, you can get dope prints, you can do low light, but im just saying.

Also like another anon said, there are situations where bw doesnt work as well as colour, landscapes etc. But my eye is not attracted to that type of photography, we all like what we like.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 600D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 (Windows)
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:03:18 14:05:43
Exposure Time1/40 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2795482

How are landscapes better in colour?
<ansel adams
>>
>>2795485
you know that ansel switched to color the moment the film became good enough technically right? it was just before his end though, look it up.
>>
>>2795493
Yea some of them are pretty juicy but I think I prefer his black/w
>>
>>2795493
>>2795482
the merits of b&w are the same in landscape as in any other genre
>>
>>2794898

What's the point of an instrument when we have a synthesizer?

What's the point of acrylic when we have water color?

What's the point of a sonnet when we have free verse?
>>
>>2795503
>acrylic when we have water colour
lol you don't know what you're talking about. But point taken
>>
>>2795508
Admittedly, I don't know a damn thing about painting, but I tried.
>>
>>2794898
What's the point of color?

The point of photography isn't to capture exactly what we see everyday, otherwise snapshit would be the greatest photography in the world. The point of most photography is to capture more than just a split second of time; to capture a feeling, an emotion, a fleeting idea is much more important to art and photography as an artform. B/W, as some anons already said, serves a purpose as a tool of photography to emphasize certain points that would be otherwise lost in color. This can be seen as texture, or tone or any number of things, but it can't be overlooked. It's like asking why a drawing was done in pen and ink rather than paint.
>>
>>2795561
I reckon candid photography can be much more successful at conveying the fleeting, emotional essence of point in time. How could something so staged and considered achieve this?
>>
File: 1367593305205.jpg (822 KB, 1936x1296) Image search: [Google]
1367593305205.jpg
822 KB, 1936x1296
>>2795503
I ask myself that first one every day

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3000
Camera SoftwareAperture
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)39 mm
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Image Created2011:04:02 16:17:30
Exposure Time2.5 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceFine Weather
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length26.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1936
Image Height1296
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: 07.jpg (287 KB, 1400x933) Image search: [Google]
07.jpg
287 KB, 1400x933
What's the point of potatoes in this day and age? Or rather what IS it about potatoes that appeals? Is it just some kind of reverence for tradition. Is it that our foundations for gastronomic appreciation in food emerge from a history of potatoes?

>>
>>2795793
now that you mention it i hate potatoes. they require way too much processing to be appealing.

you ever try a raw potato?

it's disgusting.
>>
>>2795669
>WIIIIUUUU

enjoy the cheesy sounding music.
>>
>>2795503
>instrument
>synthesizer
But anon, a synthesizer is an instrument
>>
>>2795823
>you ever try a raw potato?
>it's disgusting.
maybe to your unrefined palate
>>
>>2795836
>But anon, a synthesizer is an instrument

they were conceived as replacement for instruments. you know, via synthesis of timbre and dynamics.
>>
Personally i use black and wgite because color is distracting. By getting rid of it you can appreciate better the texture of whatever it is you are shooting. But then again thats just my opinion and what i like in my photos.
>>
>>2795823
>>2795838
>eating
go back to /ck/
>>
>>2795838
what the fuck?? wht the fuck??
>>
>>2795838
I agree, raw tater is delicious
>>
Because C-41 is supposed to produce analytic results. Playing with contrast and exposure makes color photos look weird because you subconsciously realize it's almost, but not quite like reality, but b&w is inherently much more abstracted so you can get away with more "creative" tonality manipulation.
>>
>>2795669
i cant even play a keyboard anywhere near as good as on a real piano.
>>
>>2795482
yeah, these are pretty good arguments, but ever since I learned how to accurately emulate b&w film and darkroom techniques, I've given up film.

you can get great inkjet fiber paper from b&w companies like ilford or adox, so with high end photo printers with advanced ink technology and good paper, you can achieve dmax similar to selenium toned darkroom prints. also, well made inket prints can be as archival as well toned and washed fiber prints

>tfw making medium format quality prints with my pocketable digicamera for a fraction of the cost and effort.
>>
>>2796607
...and fraction of the fun and satisfaction.
>>
>>2795929
>he doesn't RAW
>>
>>2796608
I got to a point where processing film became a real hassle and no longer fun, not to mention the constant costs of film. granted good film cameras are so much smoother and fun to use than most digital cameras, but it just wasn't worth it anymore when I could get higher quality and versatility from digital for a fraction of the cost/time.
I still keep my favorite cameras and have a bunch of film and products stored in case I feel an itching for shooting film, but I'm satisfied with my digital workflow for the moment.
>>
>>2796562
woah i never though of this
>>
>>2795508
>ol you don't know what you're talking about. But point taken

acrylic =/= watercolour

Just because they are both water based, doesn't make them the same
>>
>>2794898
Hiroshi Sugimoto seascapes?
>>
File: corrected.jpg (109 KB, 1024x816) Image search: [Google]
corrected.jpg
109 KB, 1024x816
/

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Image Created2016:03:24 15:45:10
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1024
Image Height816
>>
>>2800341
/mu/ as fuck
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.