[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/p/ sins and confessions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 15
Do you brag about Sonys superiority, yet you still shoot Canon? Do you recommend photobooks on here that you never even read? Or do you turn off your trip to make a monty python reference?

Since we are anonymous on here we can safely confess our photography sins to our fellow Anons, forgive each other and move on to talk about gear.

So /p/, what is it that you want to get off your chest?
>>
I will never understand why people chose anything over Sony. It's just a superior system with superior technology at a very competitive price.

>see people buying fuji
smhq.

Whenever i see a canon user or a fuji user i just automatically see them having below average intelligence.
>>
>>2793529
go away
>>
>>2793532
See what i mean OP? The most unintelligent rebuttal you can have. I assure you this was a canon or a fuji poster. Just end my life peacefully.
>>
I was once forced into doing wedding photography for a friend and my last battery was dead when I came to use it near the end of the day. For the last few group portraits, I pretended to use my phone as a remote shutter and took the photos on that.
>>
i started film photo with a pentacon 6.

then i got every mf camera i lusted for: pentax, rolleiflex, mamiya.

but my best work is still the photos i did with the pentacon early on, even won an international contest with that particular series.

feels weird mann.
>>
>>2793529
I know you're trolling, but I do kind of feel this way about Fuji.

It isn't even that the X100's or the XT-1s and such are bad cameras, they're just ridiculously expensive for what they are. I always wonder why someone would spend an extra $400+ to get a bulkier camera than an A6000.

That said, the A7 series is just as expensive as anything else so at that point, you might as well just buy a 5DmkIII.
>>
>>2793598
I know that feel. I've shot my best work with an absolute trash of a camera i'd rather not name.
>>
>>2793632
please name it
>>
>>2793650
My Holga 135 and Fuji X100S. Yeah it's that bad... Please don't bully.
>>
>>2793663
anon this is two cameras, did you put them together for the photos?
>>
>>2793679
no but they're both pretty crappy. I love my Nikon D750.
>>
>>2793591

>not having half a dozen batteries
>>
File: 1455607404811.gif (2 MB, 265x282) Image search: [Google]
1455607404811.gif
2 MB, 265x282
>>2793526
>get hyped for new DSLRs and mirrorless
>give advice about DSLRs and mirrorless
>argue about digital sensor performance
>knowledgeable but definitely not infallible

In reality all my gear is film apart from my cell phone. The only time I touch a digital camera is when borrowing someone's camera or when killing time at a camera store. I spend a lot of time learning about all types of cameras and replying to digifags on /p/. There is a good chance I'll never own a digital camera.

Now for my film sins:
>never developed a roll myself
>I pay almost 10$ a roll to get film processed
>I pay almost 20$ a roll to get film processed and scanned
>I have a scanner but recently I just don't want to deal with that
>all I shoot now is positive film
>terrible dynamic range but I just like seeing what the film looks like on the negative
>haven't projected my slides in so long that I don't even get them mounted
>the only printing I have ever done is from scans
>I shoot about a roll per month on average
>sometimes I shoot a lot more and sometimes I can go a couple of months without shooting anything
>I have gear that I don't use because I need to send it for repair

I'm all sin brother.
>>
>>2793598

Which camera did you like the most?
>>
>>2793529
>I will never understand why people chose anything over Sony.
Have you tried shooting a rally in the desert with a sony?
>>
>>2793526
a6000 is good and all but i still prefer my eos m.
colour is better without any tweak. grain is much more pleasant. 22mm lens is better than any sony offerings.
>>
>>2793700
No but i shot your mom who had tires just as wide as rally cars.
>>
>>2793747
There's not a wide angle lens in the world wide enough to shoot yours.
>>
>>2793801

there is no tele lens that can flat the huge faggot head your father has.
>>
>>2793699

ill sound like a dumbass, but i like them all, thats why i purchased them. the mamiya has the cool bellows, so close shots; the rollei is tiny and so classy; the pentax gives me 6x7 awesomeness. the pentacon ended frustrating me because images were somewhat too soft, also vignetting. but that 45mm holy fuck.
>>
>>2793828
If you shoot with Sigma Art you will lose the 3D nose.
>>
>>2793591
That's raunchy.
>>
>>2793529
Convince me to sell my 5DM2 for an a7 series camera

I shoot landscapes/travel shit, moving into fashion. The camera cost me $1100 with a battery grip + 2 batteries.
>>
>>2793853
If you need convincing then you are a skeptical delusional fanboy. I'm pretty sure all of /p/ knows how much better the A7 series is, if you are not convinced by this point then you are too far gone mate.
>>
>>2793836
hehehe
>>
>confessions
I buy cameras because I love them. I buy different film cameras because of how some of them feel.
I do some paid work from time to time but mainly I just take snapshits day to day. I could probably sell everything but 3 cameras and do what I do.
>>2793631
>I always wonder why someone would spend an extra $400+ to get a bulkier camera than an A6000.
Control. If you shoot a lot with film cameras and know how to expose a photo, then for some people it's easier and quicker to use a shutter speed dial/aperture ring. Some people just prefer that.
I tried an A6000 and an A7RII and returned both of them within two weeks because they just didn't shoot how I wanted them to.

I'm not loyal to Fujifilm though. If other manufacturers started putting aperture rings and shutter speed dials on their cameras again, then I'd probably switch if it was mirrorless FF.
>>2793695
>those film sins
My god.
>>
i clean my digital lenses by licking the front element.
>>
i put vsco on my film scans
>>
I legitimately think isi is one of the most talented photographers on the board.
>>
>>2793877
>I buy cameras because I love them.
This. Sometimes I feel like I don't even like photography that much and I just like the physics and mechanics of the awesome piece of wizardry I use to get a shot.

Other sins include shilling micro four thirds in an actual camera store, shooting/preferring mft in general, buying film cameras but never actually getting the film in them developed, posting year old photos on Instagram to make it look like I travel a lot, bokeh whoring, lusting after every new lens or camera that comes out, buying straps for their hipster appeal instead of their functionality, still not owning a camera big and unironically using a sigma camera.
>>
I shoot RAW with a NIKON

I'm a sin for /p/
>>
i have a folder with photographers i like, sorted by name. there is an "Alphon" folder inside, with many photos.
>>
>>2793918
did you save his latest street photos

http://fgts.jp/p/thread/2747051/
>>
this thread reveals a lot about just how awful p has become in the last months
>>
>>2793924

no, but enjoyed the show.
>>
>>2793891
I do this too and hope to get called out on it, but I never do
>>
File: TMY120001-3edit.jpg (343 KB, 1191x800) Image search: [Google]
TMY120001-3edit.jpg
343 KB, 1191x800
I DSLR scan.
I shoot slide film in autoexposure cameras.
I own a D U S T.
I never use it.
I have a well equipped darkroom.
I never use it.
I own a few hundred metres worth of 220 Velvia.
I don't like Velvia.
I prefer B&W, but I post colour photos because they get more engagement on social media.
4chan is the only place I post my srs art photography.
>>
>>2793877
I'm working on my sins. I'll get my gear repaired and shoot more often. Some things are just bad habits that I don't care to change. I like taking pictures, I don't want to spend a bunch of time processing and scanning film. The funny thing is that I cold stop sinning by just shooting digital but I just enjoy film so much.
>>
>>2793882
dead lol
>>
File: D3R_8236.jpg (1 MB, 4256x2832) Image search: [Google]
D3R_8236.jpg
1 MB, 4256x2832
>>2793926
We've had threads like this before. Years before and it was way worse. It's liberating because people get to see both sides of /p/. Nobody here is free of sin. We are born into photographic sin. Only our lord and savior Rockwell can forgive us of our sins.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3
Camera SoftwareVer.2.02
PhotographerKen Rockwell
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern968
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)85 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2010:09:28 11:21:36
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/1.4
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length85.00 mm
Comment(C)KenRockwell.com (760) 931-9500
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4256
Image Height2832
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationHigh
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
ISO Speed Used200
Image QualityBASIC
White BalanceAUTO
Focus ModeAF-C
Flash SettingNORMAL
ISO Speed Requested200
Flash Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
AE Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
Lens TypeNikon D Series
Lens Range85.0 mm; f/1.4
Shooting/Bracketing ModeSingle Frame/Off
Noise ReductionOFF
Camera Actuations58776
>>
File: F1HP5097.jpg (167 KB, 1186x800) Image search: [Google]
F1HP5097.jpg
167 KB, 1186x800
>>2793991
Based God Ken taught me the one tru way to test my 85/1.2L.
Here's a full-frame sample shot wide open from headshot distance:

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 550D
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.0.8
Serial Number1132529712
Lens NameEF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2016:02:09 15:14:27
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length100.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1186
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceDaylight
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
File: Caroline-zoom-33069341-400-387.jpg (18 KB, 400x387) Image search: [Google]
Caroline-zoom-33069341-400-387.jpg
18 KB, 400x387
>>2793942
>I own a few hundred metres worth of 220 Velvia.
>I don't like Velvia.

Fucking lol. Don't worry bro. I'm pretending to like provia. Once I shoot all I have in my fridge I'll say how shit it is.

Try shooting velvia for what it's not meant for. Shoot some portraits and over expose it a tiny bit, shouldn't be hard. I actually like velvia.
>>
I really believe Fuji and Sony are nothing more than lifestyle accessories.

Fuji for girls so they can take pictures of food they can can't cook in the hope of appealing to a mate

Sony for boys so they can take pictures of their cat to show how sensitive they are.
>>
File: 140618110537.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
140618110537.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1000
>>2793998
I think the problem is really that it's a special effects film for amateurs.
It's for making boring, flatly lit scenes seem contrasty and saturated. If you have to shoot something that already looks good, it's way too much.

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
>>
>>2794011
fuji colours don't look that appealing for something you eat imo, the reds are too washed out and everything is too blue

canon though, you seen that shit? they have a food mode built into the damn camera. preheats your lasagne it's great.
>>
>put slide film in my glorified point and shoot motor marine 2
>have durst enlarger, never used
>have all the chemicals, yet to develop a single roll
>shooting film over 10 year, never owned a light meter, not used any meter ( batteries died) for years
>have 20 rolls of trix in fridge I bought when I heard kodak was going down
> have 4 polaroids and a lot of discount impossible film
>>
>>2794016
This is exactly why I was disappointed with neutral film like Pro400H. I really depend on high contrast film to make my snapshits less shit. I'll get back to neutral films eventually.
>>
i have a fridge full of film i shoot at an alarmingly slow rate.
>>
File: 1365201183656.jpg (501 KB, 1024x835) Image search: [Google]
1365201183656.jpg
501 KB, 1024x835
I haven't touched my probably around $4000 worth of gear in over 2 years.

I should just sell this Leica too...
>>
>>2794030
I calculated that it would take me 5 years to shoot all the film in my fridge at my pace. I don't think I'm on schedule.
>>
File: 1k-March 04_ 2016-3.jpg (732 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1k-March 04_ 2016-3.jpg
732 KB, 1000x1000
>>2794022
>shooting film over 10 year, never owned a light meter, not used any meter ( batteries died) for years
You don't need a light meter unless you're not sure how to use a flash desu
>>2794011
>Fuji for girls so they can take pictures of food they can can't cook in the hope of appealing to a mate
>Sony for boys so they can take pictures of their cat to show how sensitive they are.
b-but I'm a Fuji guy who takes pictures of my dog. Maybe I don't fit the mould.

>>2794041
>>2794030
I've got so much film in my fridge yet I've only burned through 2 rolls in March.
Maybe it'll start to use it more when summer hits.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-Pro2
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.4 (Windows)
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)53 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:03:03 19:58:41
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/1.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating12800
Lens Aperturef/1.0
Brightness-10.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length35.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2794036
>I should just sell this Leica too...

My Leica has been sitting on my shelf collecting dust for a year already.

I regret buying it.

It's uncomfortable to use.
I want to see a preview of the photograph with the correct dof and perspective. I had a few photos turn out bad because of parallax.
I don't like having to set the exposure manually.
I always worry about damaging it unlike with a cheap SLR.
I don't have a good scanner so I won't see the superior Leica glass sharpness anyways.
Having to fill a roll of 36 photographs is difficult when you have no subjects. I prefer going out with my digital camera where I will get the photo instantly.
>>
>>2793833

im this guy. right now getting the feels for a bronica s2a. again.

should i?
>>
File: 1457708357039.jpg (14 KB, 331x344) Image search: [Google]
1457708357039.jpg
14 KB, 331x344
>>2793882
>digital lenses
>>
>>2794045
>Having to fill a roll of 36 photographs is difficult when you have no subjects.
This is why I love shooting 6x7. It's just 10 shots and the roll is gone. 36 is great for thoughtless shooting or events though. There used to be 12 exposure 35mm rolls but even if you had them some places charge the same to process a roll regardless of length. Also you can always roll your own if you are so inclined.
>>
>Based god Ken is my first stop when researching any new gear I'm interested in.
>DXO is my second.
>I prefer using D lenses over AI on my FM2 for the no dampening focus rings.
>>
>>2794079
Even if you don't like his reviews or his website there is just stuff on our Lord Rockwell's site that is nowhere else. He has the most informative page on Leica lenses I have yet to find.
>>
I speak with confidence about subjects that I've only watched a 7min YouTube video on.
>>
>>2794018
>food mode built into the damn camera
Canon include the features that people who actually USE cameras care about. Food mode for momtographers, fast focussing and burst rate for pros. All the others? and extra smidgen of dynamic range which in reality is only useful to amatards who can't expose properly
>>
>>2794044
>b-but I'm a Fuji guy who takes pictures of my dog. Maybe I don't fit the mould.

ghey!
>>
>>2794119
You are all of /p/
>>
Whenever I consider giving advice to anybody or think about sharing a trick or two I delete everything before I even post because I don't want to feed my potential competition with helpful advice.

Also:
>photography bachelor degree at one of Europe's most renowned universities
>published two books
>still spend my time on /p/
>>
>>2793695
Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is who tells you your gear is inadequate.
>>
>>2794358
>>published two books

books about what
>>
>>2794358
If you are paranoid that you might accidentally create someone better than you, you must be pretty terrible despite all of your "credentials"
>Going to a "renowned" uni for a worthless degree
>Published two books that nobody read
Better pretend to be important on an anonymous image board :^)
>>
I have always regarded Alphon's work as some of the best to ever grace this imageboard

Naturefag's landscape work was far better than what he's doing now

Alex would be just as good if he shot digital

Now for some Sugar sins

>I have probably, 50, maybe 75 rolls of 120 and 20 rolls of 135 I need to develop

>I own two large format setups, a 4x5 and a 5x7, I haven't touched either one in a year because at this point in life I can't be assed to shoot LF and I'm not good enough for that kind of setup so I'm patiently waiting to get better before I use it again because I practically stole them both and should have paid a lot more. I genuinely love shooting large format and developing it, but my pictures suck ass so it's kind of something I did for fun, maybe I'll get back into it

>I brought my RB67 on the road as a trucker and from November until my injury in February I did not shoot one single picture on it.

>I clean my lenses with a clean shirt sometimes
>>
>>2794358
You must be really shit in your field because no professional who is any good does this, they are always willing to share since they don't need to worry about people being as good as they are.
>>
>>2793631
Good luck getting good native lenses for the A6000
>>
>>2793942
Can I buy the velvia off of you?

It's 35mm right?
>>
File: 053ca482887a2f733.gif (2 MB, 300x196) Image search: [Google]
053ca482887a2f733.gif
2 MB, 300x196
>>2794358
>photography bachelor degree
>>
I stalk several tripfags in the
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N area.
I stole my first camera from a friend who died of a heroin overdose. He wasn't using it anymore. It was a D40.
>>
>>2794446
>I stole my first camera from a friend who died of a heroin overdose
You did good, he was a worthless piece of shit anyway.
>>
>>2794419
I already have.
>>
>>2794458
>inb4 power zoom and focus-by-wire
>>
>I bought a Leica M3 and found that it's an inferior camera to my Nikon F3 in pretty much every way but I force myself to use the Leica on occasion anyway because it cost literally ten times as much and I'm too lazy and afraid of getting scammed on ebay to sell it

>I regret dumping all my Nikon FF gear for an Olympus E-M1 kit. Not because of image quality or anything like that, the Olympus is more than good enough for me in that regard. I had built up a collection of Nikon lenses I liked a lot and was very familiar with and the lenses were interchangeable between my digital and film cameras and the ergonomics and controls on the Nikon DSLRs were perfectly suited for me. Even though I've now gotten used to the Olympus gear and it's a great kit it's just not as natural to use as my Nikon was.

>I never post photos on /p/ anymore because my photo threads always just roll off the board with barely any replies. I think I've gotten proficient enough that I don't get shit on for technical mistakes or really obviously bad photos, but I'm not good enough to have /p/ drooling over my photos so they just get ignored. Now I just keep my photos to myself but I wish I had someone to give me feedback and critique.
>>
>>2794481
Making your own threads was the mistake, post in the recent photo threads or any specific photo thread.
>>
>>2794483
I fucking hate the recent photo thread idea. It's just throwing everybody's photos into one big pile of shit where they all get buried without anybody ever actually paying any attention to the photos everybody else has posted. Trying to contain photos into a single massive containment thread was a retarded idea and I partially blame that for the enormous imbalance between photo threads and gear threads.
>>
File: m42_jupiter-9_85_2_aperture.jpg (64 KB, 944x500) Image search: [Google]
m42_jupiter-9_85_2_aperture.jpg
64 KB, 944x500
I bought a portrait f2/85mm Jupiter 9 prime for $75, my biggest gear expense to date, and have noone to shoot it with, am yet to take more than a dozen random test shots with it over a few rolls and can't find absolutely any use for the narrow angle bulky soft semi-tele focal. Tried forcing myself to use it exclusively but it completely doesn't cover the kind of subjects/themes or situations I normally shoot. So this most expensive element of my gear hoard is the least used, I feel like a filthy gearfag.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Elements 2.0
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2004:05:07 22:38:08
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width944
Image Height500
>>
File: D3S_5720-rear-1200.jpg (249 KB, 1200x1020) Image search: [Google]
D3S_5720-rear-1200.jpg
249 KB, 1200x1020
>>2794493
If you think that's bad, I spent like $700 or so on one of these fucking things and I don't even do portraits. It was an amazing lens and absolutely built like a brick shithouse but god damn was it big and heavy and totally useless for me.

>>
File: feel.gif (13 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
feel.gif
13 KB, 633x758
I dismiss photography taken under conditions that are not available to me out of jealousy.

>Like when someone takes great street photographs in Japan I tell myself that it's easy and the praise is not deserved.
>Or when someone takes a beautiful landscape photograph in a far away country.
>Or if someone takes an amazing photograph of an area that he only had access to through connections.
>Or if someone takes a great photograph of his pretty girlfriend.

But I don't troll the threads or anything.

I tell myself I could have done it as good if not better if I had the chance. I have not found many good photographs taken in my city or cities around me so I haven't let go of that delusion yet.
>>
>>2794496
I think we're all tempted to do that. My city is pretty boring as well. Part of being good at photography is putting yourself in those interesting situations, though.
>>
>>2794494
I operate in a different currency and price range for my babby M42 gear. It's more about the principle and the /p/ textbook case of not using accumulated gear. My $2 Smena saw more action and use than this meme M42 soviet fast portrait prime extraodinaire guff.
>>
>>2794493
>not getting the superior Pentacon 2.8/135 Bokehmonster
It's like you don't even try.
>>
File: 1445525137365.gif (3 MB, 287x191) Image search: [Google]
1445525137365.gif
3 MB, 287x191
>I have no problem exposing slide film correctly, but I fail with Ektar nine times out of ten
>also never nail 400H right, it feels like it behaves the opposite of negative film but doesn't shoot like slide either
>I don't own a digital camera of note, probably never will because I'm a broke-ass NEET
>had access to a fully equipped darkroom at my workplace and never used it until my career life ended
>I never use 50mm lenses, it feels like the most awkward focal length of my line-up
>I think street photography is one of the least interesting fields and produces almost nothing but banal results
>I love nature photography
>I use a dedicated 35mm film scanner
>I shoot 120 from time to time but have no means to scan it
>I like it when someone praises my photos but also feel an irresistible urge to deny it and remind them that I'm just an amateur
>>
>>2794494
>defocus control

wat
>>
>>2794521
I just got my hands on a 2.8/135 Cosinon, what am I in for?
>>
>>2794526
You turn the DC ring and it gives you creamy smooth bokeh.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/135mm-f2-dc.htm
>>
>>2794527
You mean you got a lens without a specific use in mind, without a pre-planned reason?
>>2794521
It came with a gen1 soviet nightvision, the entire idea was to get lel m42 meme prime cheaply in a mislabelled auction. It works, too, and has the m42 screw mount so all my glass works with it.
>>
>>2794527
A bit of glow and a little bit of softness, something you would expect of a good portrait lens.
see http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/cosina-cosinon-auto-mc-135mm-f-2-8.html
>>
>>2793598
Actually kinda shows how the camera doesn't matter
>>
>>2794534
I have a gap between 50mm and 200mm with no decent lens to fill it, so I bought it on a whim while checking out the camera shops in an unfamiliar town. I just have no experience of Cosina as a brand, but I was pretty sure it would fit the bill better than my meme-tier Jupiter 135.

>>2794535
Sounds good. Can't wait to take it out for a spin, I'm going to Budapest next week, and I guess it'll be a good occasion to take the Cosinon out for some street work.
>>
>>2794546
>135mm
>street work
>openly wielding a tele lens on the streets of Budapest in the Orbán era
That is so wrong on so many levels I am actually worrying about your own safety. When you do get arrested or beaten up just remember I told you so.
>>
>>2794557
As far as I understand, Budapest is far safer than any notable city in my country.
>>
>>2794568
Not for a photographer. Not with all the tensions right now and all the far right activists and nationalist scum walking the streets looking for someone to beat up.
Trust me, it's not worth it to go to Budapest right now or even later this year, it is much safer if you look for other bigger cities in the country.
I think small and bigger towns around lake Balaton is nice and some lower gypsy density areas in the north-eastern mountains are also a nice place including Zemplén and Tokaj regions.
>>
>>2794437
he just said it was 220
>>
>have retarded amount of film, mostly 120 c41 but also lots of b&w and 35mm
>have 8 expensive film cameras, including a 2.8 rolleiflex, a hasselblad, a leica and an fm2
>decide to switch to digital because film is too much of a hassle and I can emulate it pretty well anyway
>now have to sell all my expensive film gear
>still have a ton of film, chemicals and darkroom paper I'll never use now
fuggg
>>
>>2794578
I'm going to have to go there for a week even if I didn't want to, and that's going to be a long time without doing anything but generic tourist stuff. I'm going as a part of a group anyways, so I doubt safety will be a problem, and I've managed to survive some true shitholes without an incident (Kuala Lumpur suburbs, St. Petersburg, New York at night, for some). Being a burly white guy with slavic features helps just about anywhere.
>>
>>2794523
>I have no problem exposing slide film correctly, but I fail with Ektar nine times out of ten
How? It's next to impossible to overexpose negative film unless you really really fuck it up. underexposure is a different story.
>>
>>2794593
It always ends up with a very heavy blue tint and/or with pale, dead colors, when exposing it like I would any other negative film. I've only had success with very long exposures on a tripod. Since it isn't any cheaper than slide film around here, I haven't really bothered trying to figure it out.
>>
>>2794523
>>I think street photography is one of the least interesting fields and produces almost nothing but banal results
>>I love nature photography
10/10. Both are as interesting as each other.
>>I shoot 120 from time to time but have no means to scan it
Why don't you just go to a library to scan?
>>2794589
>>now have to sell all my expensive film gear
>>still have a ton of film, chemicals and darkroom paper I'll never use now
List the consumables on Gumtree/Craigslist/Freecycle or whatever your equivalent is for free. Get another person into photography.
>>2794597
I only tend to get the blue cast when I underexpose it.
>>
Everyone here tells me that the dof on my macros is shite, and then advise me to use focus stacking.
When I finally receive the reverse ring I ordered from Ching Chong Hong Kong, I'm not sure I'll be arsed to do it...
>>
>>2794597
Are you scanning it by yourself? if so, you might want to look up some tutorials on color correcting. I know ektar straight of of the scanner for me also looks too flat and blue. I've heard that the orange mask is a little different to some other c-41 films, which might explain it.
>>
>>2794601
>Why don't you just go to a library to scan?
Our libraries do not have such equipment. I've heard of public workshops down in the capital region where you can borrow scanning equipment, but I'm not driving two hours over to the niggerzone for that shit.

>I only tend to get the blue cast when I underexpose it.
Suppose I should go for +1 at all times then. But I'm not going to bother with Ektar until slide film becomes unavailable. I have to mail stuff out for developing anyway because local labs universally do a horrible job these days, so E-6 vs C-41 isn't the issue.
>>
>>2794413
>road as a trucker and from November until my injury in February
You failed at being a truck driver?!
How injured could you possibly need to be to not be able to drive a truck?
You haven't developed the film because you're unemployed, isn't that right?
>>
>>2794614
We're gonna need more salt for that wound.
>>
>>2794481
>iktf
My photo thread has been running for several months now, and only recieved a handful of one line replies.
>>
>I keep taking film snapshits thinking that my boring subjects will magically look good when I develop because muh film aesthetic meme.

I need to get out of this habit.
>>
>>2793526
I add VSCO to all my photographs. Without it I would not know how to edit them in a pleasing way. I just play with the sliders until I am satisfied with the result.
>>
>>2794614
>>2794614

Workman's Comp, I have plenty of cash I'm just lazy but when I swing back into Florida in a couple weeks I'm dropping it off at Flair in Gainesville.

A trailer door fell on me out in the field and broke my ankle, could have happened to anyone. I'm in town staying at our headquarters in Springfield, MO. All my surgeries have been paid for I should be back on the road in a month.
>>
I shoot Fuji, which apparently is a sin if this thread is to be believed.

I bought a bunch of primes, then when I got the 16-55 zoom I've mostly ignored my primes because I really like the convenience of the zoom lens.

I don't go shooting in my hometown unless I take my Canon AE-1 because I'm afraid of getting mugged, but I find film expensive and inconvenient so basically I have to go out of town if I want to shoot.

I check FujiRumors.com every day.

I'm very insecure when it comes to my pictures, and work and school have kept me so busy I still haven't even gone through pictures I took back in November.
>>
>>2794381
I never tell anyone their gear is inadequate. Actually most of the time I tell people if they are asking for what to get then they don't need it. I tell them to use their kit lens until they figure out what gear they need.
>>
>>2794481
I'm wondering if you are just nostalgic about your nikon gear. If you truly prefer it you should try to get at least some of it back. If you are not getting paid, all that matters is fun and enjoyment.

I know an M3 will not be better than any of my current cameras but I still want one. I like cheap cameras because I don't have to worry about them when I'm out shooting. I'll forget about the value of the gear after a while hopefully.
>>
>>2794807
>I should be back on the road in a month
You think you'll get a job now you've got a compo claim under your belt?!!?
hahahahah
You're working for that Prime company, right?
I'm an Australian, I've never even been to America, and even I know that that company is an exploitative "training program" scam.
You were never going to have a job with that company after your initial contract was up, and now you've outed yourself as a compo-drawing bitchboi, nobody else is ever going to pick you up either.
I hope that ankle paid up big...
>I'm surprised they didn't dock your pay for the freight of that memeya brick67 around the countryside
>>
>>2794957
>You were never going to have a job with that company after your initial contract was up,
You don't want a job with one of those companies after your initial hitch is up. You use shit like them, Swift, Something Brothers, etc. to get your CDL and get initial experience then you move on to companies that actually pay.
>>
>>2794589
How was the switch to digital? I'm guessing it was good since you are going to sell your film gear. I recommend you keep some of your film gear. At least your favorite camera. If for any reason you want to shoot film in the future you will have to buy it again. Also you can lend it or gift it to a family member that is interested in photography or film.
>>
>>2794591
New York at night is pretty safe unless you go to a bad neighborhood.
>>
>>2794624
Film makes snapshits look better though. If you think it looks bad on film it will likely look worse on digital. Some nicely edited digital photos will look better than film but film will likely look better than unedited digital photos straight from your camera.
>>
>>2793526

I go out and take pictures and have fun doing it. I also own a Fuji X-Pro1. I also don't get hung up on gear. Fuji, Sony Canon, Nikon? Who cares. Just find something you like and roll with it.
>>
>>2794980

I also own a flatbed scanner and a plustek scanner
>>
>>2794358
>going to Harvard for a degree in fat studies
That's how stupid you sound
>>
Alphon's photos and the resulting trend to post minimalistic, geometric architecture on /p/ was terrible. That sort of picture has no subject and tells no story. It is the embodiment of /p/ where people are told to be technically correct without any criticism applied towards moving from literal photography ("capturing light") to an artistic medium.
>>
>>2795314
>That sort of picture has no subject and tells no story.
Not true on point A and "story" isn't a requirement for part B.
>>
>>2795314
>Alphon's photos and the resulting trend to post minimalistic, geometric architecture on /p/ was terrible.

that was the best to happen to this board. now carlos, that was some damaging shit,
>>
>>2794960

Circle gets the square

I'll probably hang around here for a while though at least until I can buy my own truck cash

My current employer, as far as the big companies go, is probably the best to drive for and has an excellent benefit package. The problem is that you have lease operators and owner/ops competing with company drivers that make a fraction of the money while hauling the same load which ends up with a lot of good-paying loads going to company drivers that the company only has to pay 44 cents a mile instead of 1.29 or 2.00 or whatever.
>>
>>2794413
>I have always regarded Alphon's work as some of the best to ever grace this imageboard
>Naturefag's landscape work was far better than what he's doing now
holy hell you have the worst taste, its no wonder your photos are trash
>>
>>2795582

0/10
>>
>>2793942
Is the name of that chick Pam by any chance?
>>
>>2795673
nfi
>>
I have no idea what I'm doing.
>>
I drunkenly tried to clean my full frame sensor with compressed air, then tried to get all the residue off with tissue paper.

Fortified wine: not even once.
>>
>>2794949
Well well, my mistake. Keep on keeping on, anon
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.