[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, it's the new Sigma SD Quattro H! >new foveon sensor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: PARSNIPS.jpg (74 KB, 717x442) Image search: [Google]
PARSNIPS.jpg
74 KB, 717x442
Hey, it's the new Sigma SD Quattro H!
>new foveon sensor
>aps-h
>mirrorless
>interchangeable lens
Looking good
>Sigma SA lens mount
so much WHY
It's like they saw the Pentax K-01 and thought WHOA WHAT A GREAT IDEA LET'S MAKE ONE WITH AN EVEN BIGGER BODY AND MORE OBSCURE LENS MOUNT

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:03:10 23:26:23
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width717
Image Height442
>>
>>2790286
>SA mount
will EF lenses be compatible? that thing also looks much better with the grip. EVF location is real odd though.
>>
>>2790296
jsut herps and derps man
>>
File: 1454660154199.jpg (13 KB, 238x357) Image search: [Google]
1454660154199.jpg
13 KB, 238x357
It looks more like the Ricoh GXR than anything.
>>
OP confirmed for newfaggot
>>
>>2790286
It's a real shame that they put a stupid custom mount on it. It sounds (and looks) like a terrific camera otherwise.
However, if it's super cheap then the mount issue isn't that bad, but I doubt it'll be cheap enough to justify that.
>>
They're fucking idiots for not making an innovative mount that fits lenses from every first party manufacturer. They make third-party lenses, why not be the first to make a third-party body?
>>
>>2790342
>custom mount
It's Sigmas mount it's been theirs for a decade.
In your opinion what would be the original mount? Canon EF? Nikon F? Pentax K or M42? Is Sony E and FE custom mounts too?
>>
>>2790345
because Fuji already piggy backed off of Nikon's mount.. and that's even after the whole koda/Canon koda/Nikon crap.
>>
>>2790374

I think technically that makes them second party, but whatever. No matter how you slice it, sigma is fucking up.
>>
>>2790390
Sigma is fucking up for pushing its own mount and lenses?
That's pretty much what every other company is doing, sempai.
>>
>>2790461
those companies have more glass available

now if you want to switch, buy the body, and brand new lenses, you're out big money and you still won't have the selection available to other mounts
>>
They should have just gone micro four thirds. I'd take the dip in image quality from the smaller format if it meant I could use half decent lenses on a foveon sensor. I wonder if they tried to convince Sony to let them use their mount?
>>
>>2790461

The vast majority of their lenses are in other mounts though...

Where's the reward for the loyal customer that forked over a grand for a 50 1.4?

And yeah, pushing their proprietary mount is what everyone else does, but that's why it's so myopic and misguided. Foveon sensors are too niche and limited.
>>
>>2790461
If you're going to force people into your ecosystem, your camera can't be a crazy abomination with limited functionality. If this could mount EF lenses (or whatever) then someone could pick it up as a supplement for when they need it, but if I've got $5000 in Nikon gear, I'm not going to also get this, plus the lenses for it, and I'm certainly not going to trade FROM Nikon to get this thing, and I can't think of the type of photographer that would find that to be a good trade.
>>
>>2790461
I own three Sigma Art lenses. Guess how many of them are Sigma mount?
>>
>>2790490
Well if you got $5000 in Nikon gear it wouldn't make it better that it took EF lenses would it now?

There isn't one optimal mount to choose that would satisfy everyone, so it seems like a good choice to go with their own mount.

Also why fuck over the few people that brought earlier sigma cameras?
>>
>>2790497
>If you're going to force people into your ecosystem, your camera can't be a crazy abomination with limited functionality

Nikon has a fantastic variety of versatile bodies, and an enormous stable of lenses. Sigma has none of the former, and a weak attempt at the latter.
>>
>>2790345
sigma makes cameras.
they are first party now, nig nog.
>>
>>2790461
what sigma should have done was, make a new mirrorless mount and push their adapters.
because the new mount is short, you can adapt anything.
in time, chinks will make an adapter for it.
>>
>>2790345
Epson(Voigtlander/Cosina) did it first.
>>
>>2790509
Reverse engineer PDAF functionalty for Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony and release adapters along with the bodies. Charge $250 for each one, so you can buy the one that matches your lenses.
>>
This is why I love Sigma. They're a privately owned, family company that can do whatever the fuck they please, even create absurdly specialized cameras like this one. It may not be a quick route to mass success, but it's a way to become something of a photography legend.
>>
Personally my interest in Sigma Foveon cameras was reduced heavily after they decided to reduce the resolution of the 2 other color layers. Having three color layers with the same resolution was the whole point.
>>
>>2790542
I enjoyed reading this. And I wish baby Sigma CEO the best.
>>
>>2790530
I think there's patents on the brand-specific variations of the technology preventing fully functional cross-brand adapters.

But maybe patents aren't an issue for a mount that just moves the lens forwards and backwards so that people can compete with whoever is making the M mount to E mount AF adapter.
>>
>>2790543

You can still buy a few Merrill cameras
>>
File: dsc00050_zps1bb19f53.jpg (76 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
dsc00050_zps1bb19f53.jpg
76 KB, 800x532
>>2790509
Sony almost did just that.

Image Width800
Image Height532
>>
>>2790542
t. sigma
>>
>>2790604
t. newfag
>>
>>2790604
t. redditor
>>
File: sdim08161.jpg (996 KB, 4233x2822) Image search: [Google]
sdim08161.jpg
996 KB, 4233x2822
The true quality of foveon can't be seen in jpgs they produce, it's in prints that it really shines above all Bayer sensors. Pity people don't print their photos anymore.

Equipment MakeSIGMA
Camera ModelSIGMA DP1 Merrill
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.3 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Horizontal Resolution500 dpi
Vertical Resolution500 dpi
Image Created2016:02:23 08:54:01
Exposure Time8 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length19.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Unique Image ID30303330383437333082CB5631373430
>>
>>2790598
>W and T switch on shutter
>two hot shoes
>weird silver gyroscope thing
????
>>
>>2790620
So noisy, even at ISO 100. That sky looks like a painting (in a bad way) and the roofs are noisy as hell. Did you push the exposure in post? or was it just mad about the long(ish) exposure?
>>
>>2790598

two hotshoes?
>>
>>2790286
What other lens mount would Pentax use?

Keep in mind that the K mount can mount ANY pentax lens. And seeing as it's a pentax camera, most people buying it would be pentax users who already have lenses.

Or should they have made an entirely new one, which would be completely useless for anyone who already has pentax lenses.
>>
>>2790623

Complete darkness
>>
>>2790623
just looks heavily compressed imo
>>
>>2790543
this desu
>tfw you'll never have a compact merrill p&s with sigma art zoom lens and good high iso
>>
>>2790623
agreed.

retarded plebs might say wjoa so good pictah xd when they see >>2790620

but it is in fact complete fucking trash. completely garbo noise ruins it.
>>
>>2790620
>it captures all colors, and then randomly spreads them around the image

good fucking job sigma
>>
oh wow this meme sensor makes garbage resolution too
>>
>>2790634
If it was complete darkness, then how is there a photo...
>>
>>2790620
Why did you save that at such a shitty quality?

>>2790623
>>2790719
That's jpg compression. The fag who uploaded it probably compressed it to be under 1mb because "muh board rules"
>>
>>2790736
Well if it was around 1000 pixels he could have had a much higher quality image. Seems like a pretty obvious solution.
>>
>>2790725
That's how good the camera is.
>>
>>2790622
As weird as the two hotshoes are, the W-T dial just doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>2790604
typical
>>
>>2790620
pity that isn't a good photo, but i agree about prints.
>>
>>2790725

Foveon magic
>>
>>2790530
Sigma ALREADY MAKES a PDAF-capable Canon-to-Sony adapter.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.