[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I cop the 5Ds?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: canon-5ds-review-2.jpg (62 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
canon-5ds-review-2.jpg
62 KB, 700x394
Convince me not to buy the 5DS /p/. I'm about to drop several thousand on this thing. I'm already invested in Canon glass, otherwise I would have considered the D810 or A7rII. I shoot mainly portraiture.
I like to do a little bit of video.
CONVINCE ME NOT TO BUY IT

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width700
Image Height394
>>
>>2788874
Read the sticky, use the gear thread.
here >>2786106
>>
>>2788874
Other than "a little bit of video" what do you shoot? There are only a couple of fields that would actually benefit from the strengths of the S, and many that will struggle with the drawbacks, and if you're not in one of the "strengths" categories, you're going to be wasting your money and annoying yourself.
>>
>>2788874
Do you regularly make very large prints? If not, then don't buy the bloody thing. The 5diii makes more sense in just about every other way.
>>
>Convince me not to buy it
>I shoot mainly portraiture
>already invested in Canon Glass
I think what it comes down to is if you would benefit from in body image stabilisation like the A7RII offers. I've heard the AF/EF adapters are pretty good nowadays (though I've never personally used one).
A good way to get round this is to search someone out or rent one for a day to see how a camera works for you. If you live in the glorious European Union, you can buy one online and return it within 14 days. This is how I approached buying a new camera system.

Unless you really need those extra megapickels, I'd hold off on buying a new camera unless your new camera offers faster shutter speeds or a higher x sync speed.

Sorry that I can't help more on the A7RII/D810 front but I've just never had a need for what those systems offer.
>>
>>2788874
Don't buy it
>>
>>2788874

>Portraits the size of a wall
>noise even in lower iso due canon's lack of sense for new DSLR
>expensive as fuck, better quality and price with D810 or A7rII

Go Sony, you're already bought Canon glass, though
>>
>>2788874
Banding issue.
google it. That'll make you throw up.
>>
File: DSC00242-2.jpg (4 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSC00242-2.jpg
4 MB, 3000x2000
>>2789283

Thank god a $300 adapter can literally adapt ALL of his canon glass with no loss in functionality.

Sony 4 lyfe.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7M2
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpcm
Vertical Resolution240 dpcm
Image Created2016:03:03 19:14:03
Exposure Time1/6400 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating80
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Brightness10.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length28.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2789301
>no loss of functionality.
Other than autofocus in any situation other than ISO 100.
>>
>>2788874
Well It would be pretty good for scanning film I guess, so I think it's a worthwhile purchase.
Still a lot cheaper than an imacon.
>>
OP here.

One of the reasons why I'm very inclined to get the 5Ds is because I was prepared to buy a 5D3 and then I found that I could buy a grey import 5Ds for the same price a 5D3 would cost locally.

How well does autofocus w/ Canon lenses work on Sony A7ii series bodies? What is the best adapter?
>>
>>2789334
Homes, as someone who moved from a 24mp camera to a 36mp camera
FUCK ME THE FILES ARE HUGE.
You've got to have a *lot* more computer if you're doing heavy post, it slows down every aspect of the post production flow, effectively shrinks by around half all of your storage, etc.

Only opt for the higher resolution if you absolutely have to. It's a lot of pain in the dick for little benefit (some people need that little benefit, but odds are you don't).
>>
>>2789334
>How well does autofocus w/ Canon lenses work on Sony A7ii series bodies?
In good light, pretty well. In poor light, poorly.
>>
>>2789344
After reviewing prices a little more, I think I might get the 5D3 grey import, and spend the rest on a new mic and stabiliser which would help with my video
>>
>>2789306

Source?

Also the A7 series goes does to iso 50 so I'm inclined to believe you're full of shit.
>>
>>2789372
What hes saying is that autofocus sucks in lowlight situations you fucking twit. He doesn't literally mean autofocus won't work at any ISO other than 100.
>>
>>2789382
Sanity peeks out from behind the clouds. Thank you for being here.
>>
>>2788874
It's your dime.
>>
>>2788874
nah, consider getting a sony with an adapter or just be patient and wait for the 5d mk4
>>
>>2789306
>>2789382
I'll second the request for a source?

On native lenses, the A7R II low light performance surpasses most other cameras.
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6884391759/sony-alpha-7r-ii-can-match-or-beat-dslr-low-light-af-performance

It's not like the EF->E adapter does any AF itself or even has any glass (it mainly passes camera commands to the lens?), so I find it hard to believe that low light would be worse with an adapter?
>>
>>2789450
How do lenses perform on the A7ii as opposed to the A7rii? and will these lenses work at all:
Canon 85 1.8
Sigma 35 1.4 Art
Canon 50 1.8 STM
Canon 20 2.8
>>
>>2789450
It doesn't work how you think. The adapter slows down autofocus a lot.
>>
>>2788874
a7rii + yongnuo ef to e electronic adapter.
>>
>>2789301
doesn't af on long lenses, ~>100mm
>>
>>2789472
You mean when your CDAF is hunting around at around -3EV, it's no longer hunting quite as fast when you use an adapter?

But PDAF works past -2EV (which really is quite dark), down to *almost* that point anyhow?
>>
>>2789479
I don't think that is true on the A7R II and A7 II anymore, there are a bunch of those here:
http://briansmith.com/sony-a7rii-canon-ef-smart-adapter-tests/
>>
Buy whatever the fuck you want, it's your money
>>
>>2789481
Is the A7ii's af the same as the A7rii?
>>
>>2789496
a7ii supports pdaf on non native lens with firmware update.
the pdaf area is less than a7r ii.
video tracking, eye tracking does not work unless you get a sigma adapter which only supports sigma lenses, at least for now.

the sigma and metabones can be updated. cheap chink stuff. well i do not know.
>>
>>2789259
>higher res sensors are only for very large prints

what is cropping
>>
>>2789807
For scrubs.
>>
File: crop3.jpg (89 KB, 520x713) Image search: [Google]
crop3.jpg
89 KB, 520x713
>>2789809
>>
File: 1456513171298.gif (2 MB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
1456513171298.gif
2 MB, 384x216
>>2789829
>have good image
>ruin it with memeatic millenial white borders
>>
>>2789334
>>2789372
>>2789450
>>2789472

Worked at a studio that did still and video work, we moved from 5DMk3's to Sony A7s, used metabones adapters for Canon 24-70mm and 70-200m L glass, and we stopped using autofocus entirely for stills, it was just too slow and unreliable, relied on the A7's focus peaking instead. Also, the small bodies of the Sony A7's balance HORRIBLY on bigger glass. I know the Sony's are great from a technical aspect, but the ergonomics are shit. A boost in quality that no one will notice is not worth the extra effort and menu diving and accidental button pressing that comes with it. I personally stick with DSLR bodies because they just feel better in my hands, and balance with heavy lenses.
>>
>>2790278
and do not forget maybe next month they gonna launch another a7
>>
>>2790278
Not OP, but thinking of buying a used Sony A7s and adapting my Canon glass just solely for video. Is this a good idea?

I will not be using autofocus so I guess I can get a cheap non-af adapter?
>>
>>2790295
I use Canon glass on my A6000 with a 'dumb adapter' and it works very well. Focus peaking makes it easy. The only thing is you can't change the F/stop unless there is a manual dial for it.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.