[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi guards, /v/ here. I played last year's GOTY Life is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
Hi guards,

/v/ here. I played last year's GOTY Life is Strange and it got me interested in photography. I would like to take pictures like Max with a Polaroid, mostly because it produces good quality shots with the built-in flash (pic related, shot in a dark corner of a girls' restroom) and because it would let me save on the prints, SD cards and all that other stuff. I have not red the LIS book yet, but those of you who have, do you know if the author describes any cool techniques Max uses in the game to take good pix.

Thanks in advance. I've read the sticky about gearfagging, but I don't think this thread counts.
>>
unfortunately anonymous, polaroid ceased to exist as a company several months ago and as a result polaroid cameras are only available used, and the film is no longer in production, nor is there a single company out there making film for them, as that would be an Impossible filmstock because many of the chemicals are now outlawed by the EPA. Some still deal in illegal bootleg films and antiquated expired film that will give unpredictable results, but most often just completely black frames

There is however a shining beacon on a hilltop, or rather, on Japan, atop Mt Fuji where the 財閥 of Fujifilm has assembled their research and development forces to launch the Instax line, a more modern and incredibly widespread line of instant film cameras and film, and even a printer so you can print your favorite photos from Instagram or Facebook or your iPhone's DSLR-killer camera! With Black&White and Sepia affects available!

I hope you enjoy your newfound interest in photography, nati/v/e.
>>
>>2787031
All in all a pretty cool reply. Well handled, anon.
>>
>>2787031
>I hope you enjoy your newfound interest in photography, nati/v/e.

The better LiS discussion was always on /u/.
>>
>>2787027
Max uses a Polaroid camera similar to a 600 series. Since Polaroid is no longer a company, you can pick one up used from eBay or the like for fairly cheap. You can also buy them refurbished from sellers like Impossible Project, but they cost quite a bit. Film for 600 series cameras is quite expensive since it's a niche product and only made by third parties, like impossible project.

If you don't mind buying something a bit more modern, the newer Instax cameras are pretty good, and the film is priced reasonably. Anything that takes the 'Instax Wide' format is a good bet, since Instax Mini is much too small, the size of a credit card, slightly smaller. The Lomo Instant is pretty good, same with the Fuji Instax Wide 300.

Polaroid/instant film is a little misrepresented in games and movies. The dynamic range (the difference between the darkest part of the image and the lightest part of your image) is quite low, meaning it's relatively easy to blow highlights (e.g when shooting outside and the ground etc looks fine but the sky is just a sheet of white) or clip shadows (the opposite of blowing highlights). It can also have some weird colour shifts as well, and often misrepresents some colours.

However, don't let this discourage you. Every format has it's drawbacks. Instant cameras are great fun, especially with friends or at parties.

Do not buy any Polaroid with 'Land camera' in it's name. The last remaining film stock for these cameras has just been discontinued

big ups to Isi for providing a helpful reply
>>
>>2787531
Quity reply, thanks! Didn't actually expect to get any.
>>
>>2787027
Get a twin lens reflex instead.
>>
>>2787027
>life is SJW
>goat
>Polaroid

Holy fuck get out Reeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>2787027
Polaroid and instant film are dead. If you want to get into photography you should just buy a Sony A6300
>>
>tfw when no qt /p/ max gf
>>
File: img041_1.jpg (255 KB, 831x1000) Image search: [Google]
img041_1.jpg
255 KB, 831x1000
Due to many things that I don't want to type out at 4am, instant film isn't going to look like it would in that screenshot. Impossible Project film was all over the place last time I used it, Fujifilm Instax is better but still suffers from a lack of contrast, and Fujifilm FP-100c was the best until Fuji recently pulled the plug.
Your options are as follows:
A. Get a Polaroid 600 and deal with the expensive film that isn't true to life
B. Get an Instax Wide 300
C. Get a Polaroid Land Camera like a 250 and use it while FP100c is still on the shelves.

Pic related; "reformulated" PX70 film shot though an SX-70 Sonar.
Funny thing actually, I shot this photo like two years ago and I noticed recently that it's starting to look more "true" with the sky being more blue and less blown out.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2013:03:23 13:45:36
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width831
Image Height1000
>>
>>2788176
can you stop please
>>
>>2788813
Do you honestly believe that any of this is in earnest at this point?
>>
>>2788754
Instax wide 300 or is a better choice something from the mini series?
>>
>>2788819
Instax Wide 300 or the Lomo Instant. The Instax Mini film is tiny, not really worth it imotbhfam
>>
>>2788821
I think the lomo instant uses Fujifilm Instax Mini Film.
I'm not sure about getting a mini or a wide, because the only reason to buy something like this is only to have fun around
>>
>>2788827
http://shop.lomography.com/en/cameras/instant-cameras/lomo-instant-wide-black-combo

they sell a wide one my good senpai
>>
>>2788830
Awesome! Thanks, anon!
>>
>>2788827
I'd recommend mini.
Instax wide is for people compensating for something. It's not like the print quality of either is amazing.

instax mini also works with the smartphone printer.
>>
>>2788833
Is it worth to buy it?
Or is better to buy a used old polaroid, like the polaroid 1000? 'Cause the impossible project films are quite expensive
>>
>>2788835
You can get one of the cheaper Instax Mini cameras for under $100, even cheaper if you buy used.

The used, vintage Polaroid cameras may look cheap now but you're gonna pay through your nose for film that isn't very good
>>
>>2788838
Thanks for the tips, anon!
>>
>>2788835
If you go with Instax definitely go with wide.
The mini gives pictures so small they're more annoying than fun, while the wide is pretty okay.
The difference in price for the film is neglible for what you get.
>>
>>2788161
>life is SJW
>btw I have only superficially read lis posts on /v/ and I haven't played the game
way to go anon
>>2788176
>Polaroid and instant film are dead.
Pretty much.
I wouldn't necessarily get an a6300, tho if you really want a polaroid prepare yourself to spend a lot of money on film (in europe at least, not sure about the US) and to have a hard time servicing the camera(s)
if to you that's worth the instant print and looks then it's all good
>>2788223
stop, chloe is best grill
>>
>>2787027
I'd suggest to go with a Canon Selphy and any decent digital camera (including those on smartphones?) for cost reasons.

Polaroid film costs too much, and the camera is dead.
>>
The mini format has way better cameras tho (although now with the Lomo I guess it might be different actually) and the quality of the pictures is better, even if they're smaller a maybe because the lenses on the Instax wides aren't as good or something?

I want to a camera store and compared all of the Instaxes and shots from each camera, ended up leaving with the Neo Classic in the end.
>>
>>2788818
I'm the guy who wanted to shitpost and made the thread. Is it not earnest?
>>
>>2788863
>(although now with the Lomo I guess it might be different actually)
nope its shit
>>
File: the 500 dollar snapshit wall.jpg (211 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
the 500 dollar snapshit wall.jpg
211 KB, 1280x720
>>2787027
I did some math a few months back for Max's room in Life is Strange.

I counted (and guessed that some existed behind a few lanterns) 153 colour Polaroids with white borders.

At The Impossible Project’s current price of 23.49 USD for a single pack of 8 photos and 66.99 USD for a triple pack of 24 photos, and calculated to only purchase nothing but single or nothing but triple packs (since it’s cheaper than buying single three times, Max would never buy single), this wall is 468.93 to 469.80 USD of photos.

Polaroid is for people with access to a lot of disposable income.
>>
While we're discussing Instax, I got a mini 90 recently. After burning through three rectangles of film I only have two shots I'd call decent. Can you guys offer any tips? Most shots are too bright, too dark, blurred, or all three. The flash also really washes stuff out. I think I just have to use it more and get used to the settings. I'm pretty new to photography in general.
>>
>>2788892
Not to mention all the pics she didn't put on the wall. She does seem to be in a pretty neat boarding school and I didn't exactly get the impression that she was a business major.
>>
>>2788902
Shoot in better light, like with any auto-camera. it's instant film. It's supposed to look like shit.
>>
File: img026.jpg (574 KB, 1163x899) Image search: [Google]
img026.jpg
574 KB, 1163x899
I used a Color Pack III Land camera with fujifilm fp-100c

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width1241
Image Height959
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:07:28 11:25:56
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1163
Image Height899
>>
>>2788907
>It's supposed to look like shit.
Fair enough but most of mine are more shit than "muh vintage instant photo" shit. I'll try some different lighting set ups, thanks.
>>
>>2788913
One day you'll get old enough to actually drive the car! Keep dreaming!
>>
>>2787031

God, you're good! Now I think I should move to fuji
>>
>>2788892
Those look more like FP-100c.
Either way, I started doing something like this years ago in high school when I was really getting into perl apart instant film. Never got like that, or like some people have though.
>>
>>2788951
lmfao, just because my buddy there is a manlet doesn't mean he is a child ;)
>>
>>2788838
The price difference between the cameras is fairly meaningless when you consider the price of putting film through them.

>>2788845
This. Credit card sized photos are disappointing.

>>2788892
>>2788904
Tbf her dialogue in the game does (jokingly?) refer to spending all of her money on film.
>>
>>2789077
In the alternative timeline her mom even writes her an email about her spending on film being out of control.
>>
I got a 600 type polaroid some time ago and impossible film and I really like the results, it's pretty perfect if you're into artsy fartsy shoots. quite expensive tho
>>
>>2788904
Didnt she have a dslr in her room?
>>
File: victoria's room.jpg (28 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
victoria's room.jpg
28 KB, 500x281
>>2789922
might be thinking of victoria

just looked though some screenshots of max's room and i see noting, but max does comment on victoria having the best whatever
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.