[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TRAVELCAM IN U S A
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: uws.jpg (208 KB, 750x820) Image search: [Google]
uws.jpg
208 KB, 750x820
ive heard the previous american travelcam is mia.

and as it so happens, ive got an original ultra wide and slim. i got it in original packaging and it's in great condition. for those of you unaware of the vivitar uws, it's a pretty famous toy camera known for its 22mm plastic lens which produces some unique aberrations, especially real striking lens flares.

it has a fixed shutter speed (1/125) and a fixed aperture (f/11), so its not really suitable for anything but daylight shooting. all the same people like it and its quite collectible.

some info: http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Vivitar_Ultra_Wide_%26_Slim

and a demonstrative video i took of mine: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwdNwD9FhukOcWtXN0NNZVhIVlk/view

would yall like the vivitar uws as a new american travelcam? i've always been a fan of those threads so i'd be happy to contribute it if there's interest.

talk about it in this thread, but (and this is important!!) if you want to sign up to participate u gotta email me at [email protected]

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 5s
Camera Software9.2.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:03:02 21:41:51
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness1.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length4.15 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3264
Image Height2448
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
btw i reposted this thread because last time i dint put "TRAVELCAM" or nothing in the title
>>
Confirmed: not on the World's Number One Photographre, but also the world's number one fantastic bloke. This travel cam is absolutely awesome!
>>
isn't there a newer camera that we could use? this thing must take 4 megapixel jpegs.
>>
Are only Americans allowed to participate? I would love to but I'm from Bangladesh...
>>
>>2783363
i just want to see another travelcam thread and the technical limitations of the UWS should produce interesting results

>>2783365
its a film camera dude

btw since this has a semi-high resale value I'll probably put stickers/write stuff on it so that it cant get flipped on ebay super easy. be forewarned
>>
>>2783365
This is a completely one of a kind and optically unique 35mm film cam, foo'. Show some respect, do your research or just shut your whore mouth. Number One gives the board a fucking cool camera, if you can't find it in you to say "thanks", do the world a favour and say nothing.
>>
>>2783366
unfortunately i think that shipping overseas would unduly delay things and potentially be unfairly expensive for the person shipping it to you. there have been quite a few euro threads with the same premise in the past so i'd keep an eye out for one (or try organizing your own to run in parallel with this one!!)
>>
ps. right now it's too early to set any sort of deadline for emailing me, but once I start assembling a list of participants I'll post a followup that establishes when exactly i'll finalize the list and start the camera on its journey.

until then feel confident sending me your info, I'll add you to the list.
>>
i just signed up. where do i sign up?
>>
>>2783386
cool cool i got your info dude
>>
>>2783394
cool dude

TRAVELCAM TRAVEL AWAY!!!!!
>>
Good shit man, love this concept. Just a shame there's always someone who ruins it for everyone. If this goes well I might organise an Australian /p/ Travel-Cam. There's a reasonable amount of ozzie trips and anons on here so feasibly it could work
>>
>>2783425
that would be cool, doesnt muhmegapixels live in australia?
>>
>>2783425
Word, bro - someone always fucks up the travcam, and that's a particular risk with such an awesome piece of photographic equipment as the one World's #1 is fronting today.

Which is why I say to you all: whoever steals; whoever "loses"; whoever "breaks" this travel camera - shall die by my hand.

Oh, that man will die, but not before I have destroyed everything he holds dear. I'll kill his family, I'll kill his friends, I'll kill his highschool crush and his auto mechanic. And then I shall do things to him that shall make him, surrounded by the lifeless bodies of all he knew, envy the dead.

DO NOT FUCK WITH THE TRAVELCAM
>>
>>2783449
Yeah he does, pretty sure he lives in WA (western australia) somwhere. Eggy and a few other anons live in my city as well. Feasibly it could work, just gotta trust that someone won't fuck it up, but really with a disposable camera or a very cheap film P+S the risk is minimal
>>
Where can I buy this camera for cheap?
>>
>>2783465
You won't find it cheap cheap these days. Lomo fags have sort of latched onto it since it produces weird effects. If you're lucky a second hand shop might have one, but that's really luck of the draw
>>
>>2783465
Sign up for the travelcam and "lose it in the mail" when it's time to pass it on
>>
>>2783462
I've been after an UWS for some time, but they're uncommon in my country, how do I get on the list?
>>
>>2783477
email me and if this camera successfully makes it back to me at the end (pretty fucking big if btw), maybe i'll be ok with you paying me shipping costs + a couple extra bucks?
>>
>>2783465
http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Vivitar-Camera-powershovel-superheadz/dp/B002PK7TQQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456988404&sr=8-1&keywords=superheadz
>>
Hey, can I make a suggestion?
As we know, the main problem with the travelcam is that people steal them.
This is because most compacts are actually good, and n00bs don't realise that until they get their filthy slavic paws on the travelcam.

My proposal is that the new travelcam be something actually undesirable, like a plastic autofocus pentacks with a sigma zoom.
Not even a yuropoor would want to steal it, but the better photographers among us would actually be able to take great photos with it, unlike this fixed-exposure&focus plastic lensed garbage.
>>
>>2783477
the thing about "getting on the list" in this case (like i said in >>2783370) is that im sticking the travelcam stuff to the usa.
>>
>>2783485
feel free to organize this yourself! but desu I am interested in seeing how people can work with the severe limitations inherent in using the uws. and even though I'll be terribly disappointed in /p/ thief who may take it, im excited enough to share this particular camera that i am willing to risk it.
>>
>>2783361
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ruLqU_ndw
>>
>>2783489
Look at the flickr m8
>https://www.flickr.com/groups/57074580@N00/pool/with/24128931703/
People "respond to the inherent limitations" by all taking the exact same fucking photo.
>boring featureless landscapes with a shitload of sky, in the worst light imaginable.
>>
>>2783494
so i have greater faith in /p/ than i do in lomoshit flickr groups. especially since the camera will be shipped all over the varied landscape of the US. sure, it could turn out boring - but i have faith people interested enough to participate in this stuff will make an effort to produce interesting photos.
>>
>>2783504
Hell yeah, Broski! Bee-atch don't know 'bout /p/'s outstanding skill and awesomeness. Why people gotta spoil the vibe?

TravelCam 4 LIFE!!!
>>
>>2783485
>As we know, the main problem with the travelcam is that people steal them.
>This is because most compacts are actually good, and n00bs don't realise that until they get their filthy slavic paws on the travelcam.
>My proposal is that the new travelcam be something actually undesirable, like a plastic autofocus pentacks with a sigma zoom.
Any of the 35mm "zoom" compacts you can find on eBay for under £10 or so would be perfect for this. Something like an old Fujifilm/Olympus/Canon.
Probably something with an f3.5 lens or slower.
>>
>>2783802
homes you know that i didnt invent this thread right? like, travelcam with those sort of cameras has been done before. variety is the spice of life and i am willing to accept that the thing might go missing, so what's the harm in using it?
>>
>>2783804
DO IT MY WAY OR YOU'RE WRONG.

No in all seriousness, thanks for doing this.
>>
>>2783804
Thanks m8. I wasn't talking to you though :^)
>>
>>2783812
i just assumed you were agreeing with the guy you replied to, who was saying i shouldnt use this uws for travelcam. my bad chief
>>
>>2783812
Whine on, bitch boy.
>>
>Travelcam
>yet again, limited to the US of A itself

Well fuck. I guess I'll never get to participate in a project like that. I've missed the OG travelcam and also the US-bound one because I've been living abroad (Germany) for a very long time already.

Make it the American-European friendship travelcam instead :^)
>>
>>2783911
Why not start one of your own for our dear European colleagues?
>>
>>2783942
I think it'd be fun to have us and euro travelcam threads running simultaneously
>>
File: IMG_3170-Edited.jpg (969 KB, 3382x2299) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3170-Edited.jpg
969 KB, 3382x2299
Could this be the Euro travelcam? It's repulsively common and cheap (1€), with a disappointingly sharp f/4 40mm triplet (f/4-f/16) and a 1/30-1/250 + B shutter with flash synchronisation at all shutter speeds and as many multiple exposures as you can force a film frame to take. Focus 1m - inf, a full 360 degrees turn. It's technically full LOMO but you couldn't tell by the IQ - absolutely no toy camera qualities in how it renders images.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.0 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2013:10:26 23:32:34
Exposure Time1/640 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length24.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2784399
As in it'll cost an order of magnitude more to load it with film and ship it to the next euranon than this thing's worth.
>>
>>2784399
I could be down for that, however, everything I read about Smenas seems to indicate that these are horrible, horrible cameras for everything besides the flash sync and coated glass lens.

Ex. a wiki:

>Its shutter release is neither smooth nor easy to press, which is an invitation for motion blur that is only exaggerated by the camera's complete lack of heft. The manual shutter must be cocked before each shot using a lever on the side of the lens that will unfailingly get snagged on your finger when it comes back up, eliminating any chance you had of controlling your shutter speed.

Basically this'd be a camera where we'd shoot off a tripod and bracket for focus distance.

So in a way, maybe this is the east-European travelcam? Anything east of the Berlin wall and anywhere in Europe that borders the old Soviet Union. Organize the list in ascending order of postal theft.
>>
File: CLVtSgiWUAAcE63.jpg (57 KB, 600x619) Image search: [Google]
CLVtSgiWUAAcE63.jpg
57 KB, 600x619
>>2784454
The wiki info is incredibly exaggerated. Forgot the 1/15 speed, at which, handheld, crouching in a bush, I've managed to land a still, non-blurry shot.(and I'm a shit photographer) Worked with the camera, wouldn't suggest a piece of crap. Rugged, painfully simple and durable, lightweight and small (both for use and shipping), its everything-ever-manual nature means it's all up to the photographer's skill to utilise it fully. (used a CdS lightmeter and rangefinder attachment, focus-wise, though at 40mm you get very lenient hyperfocals even in deep shade at 1/60, like 2,5m-inf@f8, if you're that used to AF)

Never blindly believe a single subjective source of info, regardless whether it's a wiki page or 4chan tripfag post. :^)
>>
>>2784454
>Its shutter release is neither smooth nor easy to press, which is an invitation for motion blur that is only exaggerated by the camera's complete lack of heft. The manual shutter must be cocked before each shot using a lever on the side of the lens that will unfailingly get snagged on your finger when it comes back up, eliminating any chance you had of controlling your shutter speed.
It's not THAT bad.
>>
File: kalimar.jpg (404 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
kalimar.jpg
404 KB, 3264x2448
>>2784479
I was going to make a Eurocam thread with this piece of shit, the only camera I wouldn't mind losing, but the Smena would be much better.
Go for it.
>>
>>2784571
every weekly antiques streetmarket I visit has at least 5 Smenas 8M, two or three Smenas 8 (older model, same stats) and a couple Vilias, all virtually identical, lens and shutter-wise, all for scrap value. These are quite literally worthless and the only reason anyone'd want to steal one is to be an internet edgelord troll. Considering getting a Leningrad 7 I saw last week to add to the bundle with its terribad selenium goodness, can prolly haggle down to 2€ or something, still more'n's worth but it'd help the meterless digifags out there.
>>
>>2784479
you don't need lightmeter with smena lol
>>
File: il_570xN.416611299_tsps.jpg (37 KB, 570x411) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.416611299_tsps.jpg
37 KB, 570x411
>>2784649
you dont need lightmeter with any camera, comrade, but what you don't need even more are people accustomed to autofocusing, autometering / ttl cameras mucking up their precious shots, doing dumb workarounds like lugging their DSLR as a very costly spot meter - it's way more fun to have them muck up their shots with an ostensibly bad, primitive and unreliable selenium toy lightmeter.
>>
>>2784660
digibabbies shouldn't sign up for this in the first place
>>
>>2784399
Yes please!
>>
>>2784399
>technically full LOMO but you couldn't tell by the IQ

LOMO never made cameras with particularly bad IQ. Hell, they made the only Russian rangefinder that can go toe to toe with a M3. Their shitty reputation is entirely because they fell on hard times and allowed Lomography to use their name to sell Chinese toy cameras and promote a "just fuck my shit up" style.
>>
>>2783911
>you cant travel in the US

ok
>>
>>2787984
I get it.
>>2787995
Not at all what the man said.
>>
>>2787984
>they made the only Russian rangefinder that can go toe to toe with a M3
Wait what? Which?
>>
>>2787984
>Hell, they made the only Russian rangefinder that can go toe to toe with a M3.
Well, no, that would technically be GOMZ though it did evolve out of ЛOMÓ

...assuming you're referring to the Leningrad and not the other rangefinders which definitely do not compete with M3s
>>
>>2788060
>>2788270
I was referring to Leningrad, although Kometa was also a thing (but was never made in any significant numbers because good cameras are a bourgeois idea)
>>
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday #1
Happy birthday to you

Here's a big birthday huzzah to the World's Number One Photographre!

We all love you, and always will.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.