[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, I wanna do shots for fitness models. Both male and female.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: model.jpg (194 KB, 1010x1370) Image search: [Google]
model.jpg
194 KB, 1010x1370
Ok, I wanna do shots for fitness models. Both male and female.

Whats the minimum equipment that I need it to make it work? Cheap stuff or DIY welcome since Im on the third world.

Like bare minimum. Also keep in mind that Im in the third world so clients might be not as picky as in other places. This barely passable picture is considered top pro shit here. So yeah, not a picky country.
>>
>>2783264
A bunch of studio or at least portable lights plus diffusers that you can trigger reliably somehow. You could buy a bunch of Chinese ones (Yongnuo, Godox, Neewer, Cactus, ...)

A recent though perhaps low-end digital IL camera with a 35mm and a 90 to 135mm lens at the very least.

Maybe someone doing makeup, and some makeup.

A computer with Darktable, Rawtherapee, AfterShot, Lightroom or whatever.
>>
>>2783274
Ah yes, tripod and light stands. Redundant storage on HDD or SSD (data loss is also a problem when it happens in the 3rd world, right?).

And of course a studio or at least an empty-able place where you can set up a background (cheapest? pin it to the wall or something) and your lights, though of course you could shoot outdoors.
>>
>>2783274
>a 35mm and a 90 to 135mm lens at the very least.
HAHAHAHA no.

50 1.8 because dude's going to be using a crop. Also a fucking 35mm? No. Just no.

OP, minimum is literally just a crop body with a 50mm 1.8

After that, a 5 in 1 reflector
Then it depends on what direction you want to go.
>>
Thanks for the ideas. What about lights or how many should I have in order to start? I have the pc, camera, ps and lightroom and data storage.

Im wondering mostly about lights. But I start getting an idea. Btw the work will be indoors closely to the first picture.
>>
>>2783286
Google "the strobist" and he'll give you the knowledge foundation for working in lights so you can make your own decision.
>>
>>2783283
>50 1.8 because dude's going to be using a crop. Also a fucking 35mm? No. Just no.
Yes, a fucking 35mm and 90mm-135mm would be my preference on a crop body.

You can substitute the latter for a 50 or 60mm or whatever, but you still might need a ~35mm lens.

>>2783286
> What about lights or how many should I have in order to start?
Things can get done with two strong lights + reflector.

Usually, a bigger octagon or strip light diffuser might be interesting. You can get those and sufficiently strong studio strobes by Godox.

If you can do with a photo worse than the one you posted, YN560 III/IV strobes smaller rectangular Godox diffusers - or even white paper sheets to bounce light off- are a possible start.
>>
What country is it?

I'm in the same boat except instead of fitness models I shoot fashion, portraits and some more shit.

I've got a 40D and for this fashion/portraits stuff I use a 50 1.8 and a 55-250 IS STM.

I would say that unless you want to shoot portraits (headshots) do not bother with fast aperture. If you're shooting full bodies you'll be shooting at at least f7.

For lights I use YN-560's that I modded to use an external power supply because fuck batteries and modifiers are from Godox. All of this very cheap.

It works pretty well and the results are acceptable. I need to work on my lighting tho.

For backgrounds you can get decent backdrops from ebay for like 10 yuros.
>>
>>2783326
Argentina.

Thanks for the ideas.
>>
>>2783300
>Yes, a fucking 35mm and 90mm-135mm would be my preference on a crop body.
>You can substitute the latter for a 50 or 60mm or whatever, but you still might need a ~35mm lens.
You literally have no clue what you're talking about if you'd prefer a 35mm over a 50 FOR CHEAP PORTRAIT SETUP. It's too fucking wide unless you're thinking about m43 cameras. Your goal is to get near the 85mm portrait standard. 35 does not do that. Sure, it might be a good choice if you're talking about someone who will be using it as a travel lens, get a selection of other lenses, etc. but the specific case here is the guy is asking for *minimum* requirements to do studio work. That=50mm.
>>
>>2783341
eh yo en espaƱa! buena suerte
>>
>>2783264
-A camera (probably APS-C) and a kit lens (50mm f/1.8 would be good too)
-2 or 3 flashes (Powerful lights would be best, but you can make do with Yongnuos if you crank your ISO up a bit.
-Triggers (Yongnuo has nice triggers, but you can get cheaper ones from Cactus, and use the Yongnuo's optical slave mode)
-Modifiers (Strip boxes, and a beauty dish would be very beneficial, and you'd struggle without them, but they may be out of your reach)
-Stands for your lights
-Gray background paper and background stand (Can be black without light on it, and white if you blast it with light, for versatility)
-Assorted props
-People skills.
>>
>>2783411
35 and and an 85 can render a person's face the same way if they're both at the same distance, and the 35 adds more space around the subject for an environment.

of course, context here is studio work so really a null point, just a neat thing to think about outside the studio.
>>
File: Untitled.png (202 B, 68x62) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
202 B, 68x62
>>2783705
Ok, I got today the following

-A camera (probably APS-C) and a kit lens (50mm f/1.8 would be good too)
-Modifiers (Strip boxes, and a beauty dish would be very beneficial, and you'd struggle without them, but they may be out of your reach)
-5 in 1 reflector
-Stands for your lights
-Gray background paper and background stand (Can be black without light on it, and white if you blast it with light, for versatility)
-Assorted props

I still need to get this, probably the expensive part
-2 or 3 flashes (Powerful lights would be best, but you can make do with Yongnuos if you crank your ISO up a bit.
-Triggers (Yongnuo has nice triggers, but you can get cheaper ones from Cactus, and use the Yongnuo's optical slave mode)

What kind of powerful light do you suggest? Is there any hardware store replacement? I feel they will probably charge more for the photography label. I mean, its just a strong light right?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZR4BC0G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_20&smid=A1Y8HARLL1UJYC

Is this good value for 4 flashes and the trigger?

Almost there, thanks for helping guys.
>>
>>2783963
I'm
>>2783705

>What kind of powerful light do you suggest?
On a budget? Alien Bees.

You don't want just a hot-light (a light that is always on, usually the ones from the hardware store are those halogen bulbs) because they usually don't put out nearly as much light as a strobe, and also get very very hot, and will burn skin, and generally melt (or ignite) a modifier.

You'll be better off with a Yongnuo light than something you can get from a hardware store.

Some people do "okay" with CFL kits from ebay and such, but they don't put out a lot of light at all, and you're limited on the type of light you can create. They're mostly for video work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-White-Backdrop-Support-Stand-Photography-Studio-Video-Softbox-Lighting-Kit-/201279211007?hash=item2edd2d05ff:g:EMEAAOSwPe1T7YNx

>is this a good value for 4 flashes and a trigger
Well that's only 3 flashes, but yes, it's a good selection. I would take that over the kit I linked above.
>>
>>2783971
>Alien Bees
>Budget

Yeah, nah. That's what stuff like Godox, Neweer, etc is for.
>>
>>2783985
Those are cheaper, but also very hard to work with. Color shifting alone is going to give him a lot of trouble in processing, and the durability on them is going to have him buying them again after a few months.
>>
>>2783999
>color shifting
It's a studio. Gray cards and color targets make any kind of correction trivial.
>durability...buying them again after a few months
I've used my godox for three years with no problems. Had to replace two of the three's bulbs not too long ago, but that's going to happen with any light.
>>
>>2784008
If one of your lights is turing pink, and the light on the other side is turning green, no gray card is going to help with that.
>>
>>2784009
Which is a problem I've not experienced.

In any event, $250/monolight is not a budget solution.
>>
>>2784009
And actually, a gray card can, depending on how you light. It'll just take taking isolated light shots.

That said, a color target still makes correction trivial even with mixed light.
>>
>>2784017
Compared against what most monolights cost, yes, it is.

Elinchrom, Prophoto, Phottix, Bowens, etc. are the standards for studios.

I never stated that it was the cheapest, just like Yongnuo isn't the cheapest. I'm trying to balance him between burning his house down using the cheapest stuff (hardware store hot-lights) and selling his house to afford a Briese kit.
>>
>>2784019
>That said, a color target still makes correction trivial even with mixed ligh
If the left side of the face is too magenta, and the right side is too green, how does a color checker fix that? You have to go in with individual hand painted masks, or obnoxious hue/sat selections, ect.

>>2784008
>I've used my godox for three years with no problems. Had to replace two of the three's bulbs not too long ago, but that's going to happen with any light.
Post results? I had a three light kit from them when I was first starting, and found the color shifting to be unbearable. Especially using one at full power for key, and one for raking light at quarter power, they would have very obviously different colors to the light.
>>
File: 4chan.jpg (318 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
4chan.jpg
318 KB, 667x1000
>>2784024
>individual masks
Yeah, that's why I said depending on how you lit the scene. It depends on what level of mixing of the lights you have.

>results

Here's a lighting test shot. I don't remember the flash settings exactly for it, but it was around half power to full power, no edits other than export to jpg/resize.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
>>
>>2784041
Very dramatically pink in the skin, so not really a great example of how good the colors are...
>>
>>2784045
Eh, it's the last shot I used them on though (I have moved to Einsteins) and more trying to show consistency.
>>
>>2784048
But it doesn't look consistent.
The left side of her neck is fairly yellow, and her entire lower half is salmon colored.
Where were your lights positioned? It doesn't seem like you have multiple feature lights, merely a strong key and a bit of shadow side fill. Were they dramatically different power levels?
>>
>>2784053
You know people aren't always consistent in skin tone across their entire bodies, right?
>>
>>2784064
>HURR DURR IT'S THE CHEAP LIGHTS BRO JUST GET SUM FRO FOTO STUFF U KNO
>>
>>2784066
?
>>
>>2784064
Yeah, I know a lot of people with a yellow left-neck and a pink right neck. A lot more likely than the idea that some lights known for color shifting suffered a bit from color shifting.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.