[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I fly with a DSLR + Lenses? Obviously nothing is going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: airplane-890x395.jpg (53 KB, 890x395) Image search: [Google]
airplane-890x395.jpg
53 KB, 890x395
How do I fly with a DSLR + Lenses?

Obviously nothing is going in checked baggage nor overhead - so one key item is going to be a good bag for everything which can go under the seat.
>>
>>2781296
>so one key item is going to be a good bag for everything which can go under the seat.
You just answered your own question
>>
>>2781423
I forgot to add, if you're taking a tripod, throw it in your checked baggage. I've heard stories of them being confiscated as supposedly they can be used as a "weapon"
>>
>>2781296
Take lots of pictures of air hostees they love the attention
>>
>>2781423
... any suggestions on a good bag?

I'm worried i won't be able to take my body, 2-3 lenses and a 17" Laptop in a single carry-on..
>>
>>2781492

what the fuck? that shit would fit in literally 99% of normie backpacks if you bought some cheap lens bags off ebay.
>>
>>2781492
The toughest thing to fit in there is the laptop. Are you taking giant tele/zoom lenses? If not, get yourself a backpack/regular sized camera bag.
>>
'nuff said
>>
>>2781492
>17" laptop
Choosing an oversized gaymer latop is your problem. Try not to be a nerd next time and get a fullHD 15.6".
>>
File: file.png (394 KB, 640x330) Image search: [Google]
file.png
394 KB, 640x330
>>2781426
this
>>
>>2781426
I can only vouch for USA security
but tripods are fine in carryon, unless the air carrier says otherwise (UA, Hawaiian, American are super strict, Southwest is a mixed bag)
Monopods on the other hand are a grey area, best to just avoid the whole situation and pack it in cargo.
Talk to security about film and explain your reasons on xray
cameras and lenses no matter size are fine, unless your air carriers are dicks (see above) just pack
neatly dont stick your dirty laundry and crap in there. keep the camera bag, cameras only.

remember there's weight limits, which is really air carriers responsibilty not securitys. Alot of people complain about security but half the time it's really a problem with their air carrier and people cant tell the difference, too elitest (or stupid) and all working class uniforms look the same to them.
>>
>>2781296
>nor overhead
Wat.
>>
>>2781296
You are literally retarded.

How have you gotten this far in life? Or are you actually so deprived of human contact that you thought of the first question that came to your head, just so you could have a chat with people?

Jesus christ man, get a grip.
>>
>>2781509
>putting lenses in a normal bag
sounds terrifying
>>
>>2781538
It's a work laptop.

I took the 17" model for the extra drive slot and screen space when traveling, though I wasn't into photography at the time.
>>
>>2781647
You're pretty mad anon. I was just hoping for bag suggestions and any tips/tricks for security and whatnot, since you have to take every lens out of your bad for the X-Ray scanners.
>>
>>2781686

>what are lens pouches
>>
>>2781296
What bag you need depends on what gear you have. Security and such are no issue at all. Sometimes I take the camera body out of my bag and put it in a tray, sometimes I don't. I've never been searched or stopped for it.

Just get the bag that works best for you. Taking it on a plane doesn't add any extra needs, other than maybe size I guess, but I hope you don't have so much stuff that your kit won't fit in an overhead bin.
>>
File: bag.jpg (97 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
bag.jpg
97 KB, 1200x900
>>2781296
this bag worked well on my vaca:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13610

enough space to carry a camera + few lenses, extra clothes, laptop. pretty comfy to wear, as far as backpacks go

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Macintosh)
PhotographerPhotographer
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:06:21 21:56:28
Image Width1200
Image Height900
>>
Don't forget silica gel pellet sachets.
Stick them in a freezer duty ziplocks with your lenses to help prevent humidity buildup and mold.

If you're going on holiday somewhere tropical then this is particularly important. Especially if you're going in and out of air-conditioned areas to the humid heat outside.

Buy tons of them; they're cheap.
>>
>>2781892
Also keep the unused ones in double ziploc bags to prevent saturating them.
>>
>>2781903
What do you mean saturating?
>>
>>2781908
With moisture. If they absorb enough, they become saturated, and then start putting moisture out into the environment, in stead of the other way around.
>>
>>2781908
There is a limit how much moisture silica-gel can absorb, when it reaches it's limit it is called "saturation". It has nothing to do with color.
A saturated pack can be revived partially by heating it up for an hour or so in a well ventillated area with low humidity. You can build a reviving box for it but it is cheaper to just buy a new bunch.
>>
>>2781911
Oh man that I didn't know that
>>
Is mold succh a common problem with DSLRs? I see it oçasionally on this board
>>
>>2781916
>>2781911
>>2781903
How can you tell when any given packet is saturated?
They turn yellow or something, right?
How yellow are we talking here?
>>
>>2781925
It's a common problem with any lens. Fungus happens to people who can't take care of their shit.
>>
>>2781937
If I were to ever buy a camera how should I take care of it? I guess not get it wet but how the heck does mold get inside a lens?
>>
>>2781941
>I guess not get it wet but how the heck does mold get inside a lens?
Mold is everywhere. It just needs a place to latch on.

A non-weather sealed lens that's not kept properly is susceptible to mold, unless perhaps if you live in a very, very dry area like a desert or something.

Mold will permanently ruin lenses so it's as simple as getting that shit cleaned out.l
It can cause permanent damage.

I live in a tropical country and that's my greatest fear.
Perhaps I should invest in something better than the shitty chinese drycabinet I got for cheap. Dunno if it even works properly lol.
>>
>>2781943
Permanently? But it's glass, can't you use silica bags to kill the mold?
>>
>>2781931
Some silica gel may have indicator colour or few grains with indicator. When the gel with indicator adsorbs moisture it turns from blue to pink or orange to white or something. Gel without indicator stays same.

When in doubt put the used gel in about 100C oven for an hour or two and it's like new. Not too hot, gel itself does not melt or burn but containers do.
>>
>>2781945
>Permanently? But it's glass
The mold etches into the magical coatings on the glass, thus degrading image quality.
>can't you use silica bags to kill the mold?
No. That just stops the spread.
UV light, full disassembly and cleaning by professionals will do it.

Thing is, you don't want to let it happen in the first place, because once it does, that's it.
The only question that follows is how badly the mold has ruined the lens before you stop it. If it's really bad enough to be truly noticeable in images then throw it out.

If it ain't so bad you can get it cleaned.

Places with high humidity will fuck your shit up, so will taking the lens from a cold airconned hotel room out into the stinking humid streets outside - creates condensation/fogging which provides ample fuel for mold growth.
>>
>>2781950
So leave my lens always outside in the hot?
>>
>>2781954
>outside in the hot?
Is it humid hot outside?
Or do you live in the Atacama?
>>
>>2781943
>Perhaps I should invest in something better than the shitty chinese drycabinet I got for cheap. Dunno if it even works properly lol.
>tfw own dehumidifier
>tfw always dry and wipe my lenses after being out in the cold/wet
>tfw sillica gel bags in my drawers/bags

I'm pretty confident fungus won't hit me.
>>
>>2781960
I live in Cali so it's hot. But then summer arrives Nd its hot Nd humid
>>
>>2781441
If you take pictures and say Allahu Akbar I hear you win a prize and get to fuck the hostesses
>>
>>2781793
Do you have to take lenses out?
>>
i have no fucking clue how to use silica shit
>>
>>2782273
I have never been asked to, no.

>>2782275
You put some in your bag.
change it once a year.
Ta-da, you're using it.
>>
Think Tank Photo makes bags that are specifically sized to fit the most gear into standard airline carry-on sizes. I have an older Airport Antidote backpack and it'll fit under the seats of most full-size airliners once you take the laptop sleeve off, or into the overhead of a regional jet. (And the sleeve tucks nicely into the seatback pocket.)
>>
>>2781492
I have the Lowepro Whistler 350. Fucking amazing bag.
Only downside is it's expensive. I was able to justify it for myself as I do a ton of hiking.
If you have to spare cash though it is worth every $$$.
>>
>>2782310
I'm sure people will argue, but I think $200 is a pretty normal price for a camera bag anyway. If you have an entry-level DSLR and two or three lenses, you can get away with something cheap, but once you're really loaded up with gear, the cheap stuff really sucks to work with. I went through bag after bag before I finally shelled out for Think Tank, and now I have 5 of their bags. Pretty much every other serious or pro photographer I know has done the same with one brand or another.
>>
>>2782313
I'm by no means a pro photographer, but I agree, the cheaper bags I tried, sucked.
So much easier after I shelled out for the whistler.

Just checked out some of think tanks stuff - looks great!
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.