[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cant focus my rangefinder, broken?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 12273706223_c632ccba99_b.jpg (319 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
12273706223_c632ccba99_b.jpg
319 KB, 1024x681
Hello guys, I have a Konica S Hexanon 48mm lens, rangefinder. The thing is the next...I found it a couple of days ago and I cant make it focus, like, its suppoused to merge the two images I get, but when I move the distance dial of the lens, nothing happens, it doesnt move nor focus. I can make the lens bigger (when I put it on 10m distance) and smaller (If I set it to shorter distances like 1m) but In the visor i dont notice any difference, it is suppoused to be like this or it is broken? Can it be fixed? Sorry for the fatal english.
>>
The lens doesn't get bigger or smaller, it either moves closer to the film or further away (this is how it focuses). Are you saying that neither of the two images (if there are two, perhaps the mirror is broken) are moving to merge when you move the distance dial?
>>
>>2771626
Can't focus? must be a Fuji.

Focuses
Unrealiably
Just
Incapable
>>
>>2771629
The thing is that I have a fucked up english lol. Yes, it moves closer to the film or further away. It is a rangefinder, so the two images that I have to merge, they DONT merge, and they dont move neither...so I guess the lens is broken somehow? The shooter speed dial works fine (500 to 1 sec)
>>
>>2771638
I don't know much about rangefinders, but if the lens moves then I believe it's fine. There's a mirror that reflects the second image into the viewfinder and whatever turns that may be broken.
>>
>>2771645
Oh I get it now. Thank you very much, ill take it to the nearest photo shop near my house to check it...maybe I can afford to pay the repair. Its the only camera I got and Im wanting to start to /p/ but as I am a 3rd world poor I cannot afford a camera lol.
>>
>>2771648
You're very welcome, hopefully it's not too expensive!
>>
>>2771650
I hope so :s
>>
>>2771626
Cover the right window (the one you look through) and make sure you don't cover the left window.
You should see a small square, even very faintly.

If you don't see anything, or it's very, very faint, the semi-transparent mirror is either dirty or broken.
If you're feeling brave you could screw off the top and clean all the glass and mirrors with cotton swabs (be extremely careful to not damage the semi-transparent, colored piece of glass). This is often the solution and it's not hard.
If that doesn't work though and the semi-transparent mirror simply doesn't reflect strongly enough anymore, or its silver coating is damaged, you're pretty much fucked because that means you'll have to replace it with a new one and completely recalibrate the rangefinder. It's not impossible but definitely a pain in the ass and if you bring it to a camera repair shop it will cost you.

If it's a bit faint, a good trick is to draw a small square with a black marker on the right window. The images won't overlap any more, but you'll be able to focus.

If you can see something, change focus and the content of the patch should change.
If it doesn't change (which would surprise me), the coupling of the lens with the rangefinder mechanism is broken internally. If the mechanism in the Auto S is just as simple as that of the Auto S2 the camera would have to be completely destroyed on the inside. So if the outside looks ok, I'd be surprised if this was your problem.

All that aside, you don't have to use the rangefinder mechanism to make pictures. You can always judge the distance from your subject, focus to that distance using the focusing marks on the lens, compose through the finder and snap away.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.