[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Joey L >learnfromjoeyl Peter Hurley >headshotcrew Chase
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Joey_L_Photographer_Website.jpg (48 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
Joey_L_Photographer_Website.jpg
48 KB, 460x460
Joey L
>learnfromjoeyl
Peter Hurley
>headshotcrew
Chase Jarvis
>creativelive
Zack Arias
>dedpxl
David Hobby
>strobist
Alex Koloskov
>photigy

Fucking etc

So... Do you think photography is the primary income of any of these photographers?? Fucking everyone has their own subscription service these days..

For example Joey L, does he fucking live off like 5 high income jobs a year? Or is he shooting family portraits inbetween the bigger jobs?

I know Peter Hurley seems to be pretty open about shooting standard portraits (including family and children portraits) inbetween actors and shit.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePhase One
Camera ModelP65+
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width8984
Image Height6732
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2014:07:17 11:31:01
Image Created2014:07:13 16:32:55
Exposure Time2694/336749 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Light SourceOther
Focal Length150.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width460
Image Height460
>>
>>2770484

who cares.
>>
>>2770484
Wait, what? Highly successful photographers are making smart business moves and capitalizing on their successes? You don't say...
>>
Have a look at Zack Arias: http://beam.zackarias.com/#!/about

>Multiple business units within photography: Music, editorial, corporate, and commercial.

>Also does presentations and workshops

There's no reason to think he has a side job busting tables at a restaurant or something.
>>
>>2770484
Once you start making a lot more money, making EVEN MORE money becomes a main priority, and it's much easier than breaking into decent income from nothing. A bunch of successful photogs wanted even more money so they made it happen. I bet Joey could easily live off of photograph jobs alone but chooses not to.
>>
>>2770520
damn that's a disappointing portfolio
>>
I read somewhere that most of these guys live off their passive incomes (youtube, subscriptions, book/dvd sales, paypal donations for their growing family, etc) and spend a lot of their time creating passive income content.

Most of what they do end up shooting is organized, directed, and post processed by assistants, with the photog doing the shooting only.

I guess if you get a big enough name to start tagging it to stuff that isn't your pictures, that's when you make the good money in photography.
>>
>>2770629
to be fair, the bigger your shoots become, the more the role of photographer changes is that of director.
>>
>>2770667

No, not necessarily.

The guy hit the nail on the head, though. All that these commercial photographers are trying to do is sell you something. It starts with "how good i can make you look" and it dovetails nicely into "i did it, so can you! only three easy payments of $39.99. Also i'm sponsored by profoto and u should totally buy a b2 kit bruh" It's this whole queasy pyramid scheme.

Here's a hot tip I've picked up that will save you a lot of time when trying to size up a photographer:

If their website says "ABOUT" or "BIO", they're fucking garbage and you're being sold something.
If their website says "CV", you're good to go.
>>
>>2770673
i think 90% of websites have an about page, it's just part of the standard website structure.
>>
>>2770673
>>2770684

I remember reading that the "about" page is one of the most visited on a photographers site
>>
>>2770684

You're missing the point. Both are essentially "about" the photographer. While a CV is a distinguished, time-honored tradition of listing one's education, publications, and awards, an ABOUT/BIO page is another way that they're selling themselves to you. They're selling the lifestyle and the attitude and how the photographer dresses. It's all flashy cover letter and no resume.
>>
>>2770793

Oh, and I forgot to mention that >>2770708 is a well-known fact to these commercial photographers who thrive at SEO and turning their persona into a branded commodity.
>>
>>2770611
Not really. To be able to work full-time with photography is a feat on its own, and he does.
>>
>>2770503
>>2770496
instead of answering his questions, you fags went str8 to sarcasm

there are people out here trying to making a living of this shit, and his questions are quite legit
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.