[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am currently doing my Bachelor's in Journalism and Media
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: photojournalism1-26hnt3u.jpg (605 KB, 1371x837) Image search: [Google]
photojournalism1-26hnt3u.jpg
605 KB, 1371x837
I am currently doing my Bachelor's in Journalism and Media management and need to write my Bachelor's Thesis.

After thinking for a while, I kind of grew fond of the idea of doing it on photo journalism. The working title for now is "The value of photo journalism in the age of social media and smartphones" or something along those lines. Essentially I would like to discuss how the idea of photo journalism is changing (or not?), now that anybody can essentially capture relatively good pictures of major events at any time and share them with millions of people worldwide without the need of a traditional proxy (newspapers, magazines etc.)

Any thoughts on this? Any books or other ressources you would recommend me to look into?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2009:03:20 04:16:44
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1371
Image Height837
>>
>>2767562
Why would you pick a thesis topic you don't have anything to say about? And around a five year old topic at that...hell, you can't even be assed to take a stance on whether or not PJ is changing because of the ubiquity of the internet+cell phone cameras.

tl:dr do your own fucking homework.
>>
>>2767565
of course I have my own stance on the topic, but if I stated that here, due to the nature of /p/ and 4chan in general, this thread would result in a discussion about that, which I don't mind, but it just wouldn't help me much with my thesis.

I was mostly looking for specific books, papers and other material that people would recommend, not a "how to" guide
>>
>>2767567
So your thread is actually
>do my research for me
Pathetic.
>>
>>2767572
people ask for help on this board all the time, wha's your fucking problem?
>>
>>2767575
Beyond the fact that you've picked probably the laziest of topics possible for your major, one that reams upon reams of paper still wouldn't provide enough room to print all that's been written on the topic by important thinkers in the field, and you can't be assed to do your own basic research?

This is the seminal fucking work of your college career and you're coming to fucking 4chan for help on a topic that might be appropriate for a first year 500 word essay without a position and apparently without the first clue of who might have weighed in already because otherwise you'd just have gone to that already copious body of work.

You've the makings of a masterful journalist friend.

A better thesis for you might be:
>Why lazy shits like myself are the final nails in the coffin for modern journalism.
>>
>>2767562
I'm not that other guy and don't want to use a harsh tone with you, but I'll have to agree with him that the choice of topic for the thesis is pretty weak.

Now, I'm not an American, but in Europe you typically have an advisor to help out with your choice of topic and your methodology. I find it kind of strange if you are associated with such a person and they didn't point out that the topic is weak and that it'll essentially be a whole lot of methodology to unnecessarily treat a question that does not need more of an answer than a 500 word essay at your first semester. Hell, it could even be treated fine as a high school essay.

Seriously. You can do better than that.
>>
>>2767583
>>2767587
fair enough, I'm not really studying this because I want to, I already switched my major, but I already invested 5 semesters into it so I might as well finish it. If the topic is really bad, then I might choose something else, but I thought that it might actually be interesting to talk about and I kind of disagree that it's a topic that can be covered in a simple essay or something. You need to take into account the historical perspective of photo journalism, how it developed, ethical questions, find a clear definition for it, make predictions about its future based on data and currently available research, talk to photojournalists from magazines, press agencies and newspapers, look at recent and past developments that might affect PJ (especially social media and smartphones not only in the developed markets, but also in third world countries), how photographers will need to be all around work horses within the company (1/3 of news photographers nowadays also shoot video for example), maybe approach it from a business perspective as well. Again, I haven't even started yet so this is a rough sketch, but I think the topic is certainly more important and interesting than a "500 word essay in your first semester" desu

>you typically have an advisor to help out with your choice of topic and your methodology
we do actually, but I have to find my topic first and then propose it to an advisor with a short excerpt/summary
>>
>>2767565
first post best post
>>
>>2767596
>derpa derpa I can cram a lot of shit in to pad it beyond 500 words.
*sighs*
Homes, the fucking purpose of a thesis isn't to show you can do basic research. It's to show you can say something that hasn't been said. Yeah, it's not on the same level as a master's thesis/phd dissertation, but it is seriously not a good look to do a check the box topic.

You're a journalism major, you've had to have heard of the idea of a take. What possible take can you have on this topic that's in the slightest way new? What perspective do you have that adds in any way to the discussion?

At the very least, if you're going to do a topic like this, narrow it down to a specific area and how the ubiquity of such technology has altered how the world at large is working and what the field of journalism must do to remain relevant, if it can.

Basically, actually sit down and really think about this shit.
>>
>>2767562
>Picks a major that is about telling a story and explaining how events are shaping the world.
>Needs help coming up with something to say about events that are shaping the world
>I don't understand why you guys won't do my work for me why would this be a problem it's my thesis.
>>
>>2767562
Your thesis should really be about how social media and the millennial "I'm important too" movement has given a very loud voice to everyone in the first world, and yet all it's done is show the world how little anyone actually has to say, and how that's completely cheapening the idea of the average person's opinion.
>>
>>2767602
I'll consider narrowing it down, maybe to a country specific topic, but I think I'll go with the broader topic first, see what the counselor has to say. It has a high relevancy and I think I can add enough of my own ideas to make it interesting and relevant enough.
>>2767611
I'm sure that's an interesting topic, but I'm not sure how suited it will be for a journalism and media management thesis
>>
>>2767615
>Not understanding that he's talking about you.
>>
>>2767619
it's still not a good topic for a thesis anon
>>
>>2767615
>I'll consider narrowing it down, maybe to a country specific topic, but I think I'll go with the broader topic first, see what the counselor has to say.
>whaaaa help me! >gets help >nah
>thinking that geographic specificity matters in this day and age
>It has a high relevancy
No, it had relevancy a few years back. Now it's simply the reality of the situation.
>and I think I can add enough of my own ideas to make it interesting and relevant enough.
You're the same guy who thinks that this is a good topic. You can't do this, you don't have the imagination.
>inb4 nuh-uh/that's what you think
Alrighty, post one original idea you have anywhere in this field.
>>
>>2767628
>thinking that geographic specificity matters in this day and age
it does, my country has a very country specific approach to journalism and is developing differently than a lot of the other countries around it and in the world when it comes to journalism
>No, it had relevancy a few years back. Now it's simply the reality of the situation.
no, smartphones especially in the developed markets are only starting to boom in the last few years and so is worldwide connectivity. It might've been relevant in 2011 as well, but it still continues to do so today

also anon, I think you're overestimating the importance and difficulty of this thesis. A friend of mine choose "how media is affecting our idea of beauty", wrote a 1 piece excerpt and that got accepted. I think my topic should be fine
>>
>>2767624
You're right. It was an insult, dressed up like a suggestion. Not a real suggestion.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.