[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MOMA class - Seeing Through Photography
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
"Although taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us, our regular engagement with images does not necessarily make us visually literate. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art and hear a variety of perspectives on what a photograph is and the ways that photography has been used throughout its nearly 180 year history: as a means of artistic expression, as a tool for science and exploration; as an instrument of documentation; to tell stories and record histories; and as a mode of communication and critique in our ever increasingly visual culture."

https://www.coursera.org/learn/photography

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGreenshot
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>2767364
Is this a free course? What's the price if not?
>>
>>2767367
$50 to get a certificate that I guess might be able to get you a cup of coffee with a $1.50...free without the certificate.
>>
>>2767367
Nope it's free, you just have to sign up for coursera.org. If you want a certificate at the end (???) it's $50, but otherwise, free.

I highly recommend everyone here participate in this, it's fantastic knowledge that can really help anyone interested in photography.

It's about photos, expression, and art, rather than gear, the manual, or MTF charts.
>>
>>2767364
Looks great. I already enrolled and there is a lot of reading material.

Thanks, anon.
>>
>>2767364
Just now finishing lesson one's information. This can be a great tool for someone starting out, who has learned the technique and camera operation, but doesn't know where to go from here. This seems like it will be a fantastic series for discovering what it is that you don't know.
>>
>>2767364
What benefit of the 50$ cert is there? Would anyone give a fuck about it if you were to include it in a resume/portfolio?
>>
>>2767429
It's a piece of official paper that gets accounted for if you place it in a resume or CV.
>>
I'm just starting, and still getting a hang of the function of my camera, but this looks interesting.

As an academic (well, I'm a high school teacher right now) I always love to explore the critical side of things, the theory side, so this looks like it will certainly scratch that itch for me, considering I'm not in college any more.

Thanks!
>>
>>2767364
bumping this awesome thing.
>>
Thanks OP, this is fantastic stuff.

BUT WAIT

>"In her instruction manual A Guide to Better Photography, Abbot advises the photographer to use a large a camera as possible, so that the records fully detailed and rich in information."

SO WE SHOULD ALL BUY A SONY A7RII
>>
>>2768175
It came from MOMA, it's pretty legit. Everyone start saving and selling off your gear.
>>
>>2767551
>I'm just starting, and still getting a hang of the function of my camera
You're too much of a beginner for this course. Wait a year or so.
>>
>>2768175
no it obviously means you should get a 20x24 LF camera
>>
>>2768219
I'm not him, what's some good starting material then?

t. someone who knows all the science of photography and exposure but none of the art (composition/etc)
>>
>>2768318
I'd say this is good for you then. Beyond that, just start reading up on thoughts concerning artistic composition, color theory, and the like.
>>2768175
>implying it's not the Pentax 645z for when you need weathersealing and the PhaseOne 100Mp for when you don't.
>>
>>2768331
>just start reading up on thoughts concerning artistic composition, color theory, and the like.
thanks, any suggestions? i'm a psuedoautistic STEMer
>>
Is there a specific date for this or do we do it at our own pace. It's not clear fromthe website (unless I missed something)
>>
>>2768333
Here's two solid book lists. Don't think you need to read them all (which won't hurt anything, the underpinning theory behind art is something it's better to have multiple points of view on), but just pick some that sound interesting to you
http://www.noahbradley.com/blog/10-books-every-artist-must-read/
http://hubpages.com/art/artbook-composition
>>
>>2768342
Yeah you missed something.
>This course is self-paced, with suggested deadlines to help you keep on track.
>>
>>2767551
https://www.coursera.org/learn/exposure-photography
I found this one and seems more for beginers.
>>
This is excellent.
>>
This needs a bump. Interesting non-beginner, non-gearfag course. A lot of people on here could use this.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.