[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books for learning photography
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: 0711bookexc09[1].jpg (88 KB, 600x777) Image search: [Google]
0711bookexc09[1].jpg
88 KB, 600x777
I'm buying my camera tomorrow and bought this book to help me learn. Are there any essential photography books, or do you think this book and the owner's manual should be enough?
>>
I started with this and "Read This if You Want to Take Great Photographs".

I'm interested in hearing if there's anything else good out there too.
>>
>>2764650
Really, this plus owner's manual to learn how to use your camera.

Read the strobist's website to learn how to use flashes.

After that, if you insist on reading, find some basic books on artistic composition (doesn't matter if it's intended for drawing/painting/photography, it all works the same way) and color theory.

For post processing stuff, lynda.com and youtube are kings, but you're better off searching for "how to [specific technique]" than "how to use [program]".

After the basics of learning to use your camera, I'd highly suggest you start studying pictures you find interesting. Start trying to pick apart why you like them and figure out how they were done. Then practice doing that.

For the most part though, get out and shoot. Critique the fuck out of your own images. Be vicious. Still have fun, but work toward your goals. Figure out how to improve what you're doing when you're doing. Stop and think before you shoot...etc.
>>
To add to this, what photography collections are the easiest to learn from studying the pictures in?
>>
read "The Photographer's Eye" by michael freeman recently, pretty good for composition stuff
>>
>>2765835
That book is fucking everywhere, even in shit-tier book stores and supermarkets here. I thought it was a bad sign but a lot of anons here say it's very good. Should I buy it even if I already have some experience in composition theory, or it's just the usual basics stuff? I'll give it a look as soon as I can
>>
>>2764650
I tried getting through Ansel Adam's 3 famous books, but they are so fucking bland and boring that I normally go for a more concise read.
>>
>>2764652
I read that one, too and really liked it. Would recommend.
>>
>>2764650
A good start.

Bruce Barnbaum's "The Art of Photography" would be your next step.
>>
who the fuck has trouble with exposure it's incredibly elementary
>>
>>2768942
>being this autistic
>>
>>2768952
>being this buffoonish about your camera's fundamental operation
it's three things, is that too many for you anon?
>>
>>2768952
What is autistic about that? The camera manual handles it in about two pages.
>>
>>2768954
>implying it's a challenge for me

Criticizing OP for wanting a better understanding is pretty autistic.
>>
>>2768956
exposure can be explained in a few paragraphs at most, you don't need a fucking book for it you retard
>>
>>2768957
There's a difference between getting proper exposure and understanding the different elements of exposure, manchild.
>>
>>2768959
exposure is not hard you mental infant.
>>
>>2768959
Such as what aperture, shutter speed, and ISO actually do? What an under exposed/over exposed photo looks like? Because that's in the manual.
>>
>>2768961
>>2768957
>>2768955
>>2768954
No one is saying it's hard, it just seems OP is looking to better understand what's going on in a properly exposed picture. You're assuming a book that talks about exposure is talking about how to set ISO, aperture and shutter, but it is possible to have more of an understanding. You wouldn't understand this as you're all fucking idiots anyway.
>>
>>2768965
sorry this isn't a reddit hugbox

there are many things orders of more difficult than exposure in photography

if you can't immediately grok exposure you will never be good at photography.
>>
>>2768967
>if you can't immediately do something you'll be bad

the definition of a manchilds perception of the world
>>
>>2768969
you really love projecting this manchild stuff

sorry that you are very bad at photography and understanding simple concepts anon.
>>
>>2768970
I'm not the OP moron, and I understand exposure.
>>
>>2768972
seems like it took you way longer than it should have based on how butthurt you are about it

maybe you won't be very bad, just bad.
>>
>>2768967
>>2768970
le master trole
>>
>>2768973
lel
>>
>>2768959
heres a fully comprehensive and total explanation of exposure:

Aperture: Your cameras pupil. The larger the aperture (smaller f number), the more light your lens allows through

Shutter Speed: The amount of time the film/sensor is exposed to light. The faster the shutter speed, the less light hits the film/sensor, and vice versa.

ISO: The sensitivity of the film/sensor to light. The higher the number, the more sensitive to light, and the less time required to achieve a properly exposed photograph. Higher ISO also leads to more noise in digital images.

Willing to accept donations for my efforts, as you don't need to buy a book anymore.
>>
File: img3428305.jpg (29 KB, 336x410) Image search: [Google]
img3428305.jpg
29 KB, 336x410
>>2768991
If you by any book, get something about different types/aspects of photography, not some bullshit about technical stuff, because any idiot can figure that out by taking pictures and looking at the settings they used, not to mention fucking internet access. Something like pic related would be much more valuable in helping you determine what you might want to or enjoy shooting most

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeIPEVO
Camera ModelPoint 2 View
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>2768991
Are you trolling or are you really that fucking retarded? Do you think you'll be able to reproduce something like Titarenko's photos just by reading the definition of shutter speed?
>>
>>2770020
if they're not retarded and know anything about light, then yes. my point was that you dont need to pay for some shit book when you can easily figure out everything you need by taking pictures.
>>
this whole thread went to shit.
WHy don't we focus on helping OP rather than start talking about each other... each other meaning people we don't know shit about.

watch youtube videos. If you want books, use google to find the most recommended books.
>>
>>2770038
but there's no need for any of that, the best answer you could ever hope for is already ITT >>2768991
>>
>>2770041
yup. this. and actually trying it out... putting each things to the max to see what happens. trial and error. and you start to realize how to use your camera.

OP PROTIP: WHITE BALANCE AFTER YOU LEARN THE BASICS

/thread
>>
Wow...I've never seen so many people with their heads so firmly up their asses.

The book isn't for you (I'm willing to bet any amount of money you care to name that you would learn something you didn't already know if you read it, but that's neither here nor there).

If the book helps people understand concepts, it helps people. There's nothing wrong with it. I especially love the asinine, absurdist reduction of "everything you ever need to know about exposure is just aperture shutter speed and ISO" too...fuck me you're some self righteous dicks.
>>
>>2770087
>everything you ever need to know about exposure is just aperture shutter speed and ISO
>implying there are other aspects besides those
>>
There's a difference between knowing what the exposure triangle is and figuring out how it has an impact on the picture you're taking.

Plus this book in particular goes into much more detail about all the control you have over the end product of your pictures.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.