[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
a7s users pls help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: howdoia7s.jpg (73 KB, 728x551) Image search: [Google]
howdoia7s.jpg
73 KB, 728x551
So I just bought an a7s to shoot videos, I always used my cheap t2i and good prime lenses, never felt the need of a better camera for videos until the last year, had the money and decided to do the next step. I'm a noob with this new stuff so pls don't kill me.

I was fucking around with picture profiles to see how they looked and pp4 seems to behave in a different way than the others. Even with the smallest amount of overexposure, colors become really weird. They kinda shift to a brighter/washed out version, some just become white but others seem to stay there and not give a fuck until I overexpose a lot more. It's this ITU709 that make it behave this way.

I knew about the usual greysh tint of s-log, cine and that most picture profiles look "bad" straight out of the camera, because they're only used to give you more details to work with in post. All the other pp behave as I expected, the usual low contrast look.

Am I just freaking out because my t2i was so shitty compared to this one that when overexposing it would just make everything white without even trying to save some information, or is my a7s having some problems? Holy fuck I feel retarded to ask you people this stuff.
>>
Ok I just checked the actual files on my computer monitor and they don't look "weird", it seems like the monitor/viewfinder of the camera made them look a lot more saturated/vivid.
It happens when I select "ITU709". I don't know what the fuck i'm doing, yeah
>>
>>2762040
Learn to do your color grading in post first.

Plus simply do not use the profiles that don't work for you, if you don't need to.

> is my a7s having some problems
How would we know, we can't even see samples. But rather than making us do the work, how about you compare your stuff yourself to gazillions of pieces of published materials from other A7S & find out.
>>
>>2762046
The problem is this happens only on camera. It's ok on my computer monitor.

I may have been a bit too modest in my post, I know how to use raw files and I always do my color grading, the color just seem really fucked up only on my a7s.
>>
File: Gamuts.jpg (125 KB, 1024x632) Image search: [Google]
Gamuts.jpg
125 KB, 1024x632
>>2762047
> The problem is this happens only on camera. It's ok on my computer monitor.
On what, tethered capture, on a color calibrated monitor, with software that you know will represent colors accurately?

And either way I think this is all irrelevant, why not just capture with the profiles that aren't shit, that you understand, that work?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution144 dpi
Vertical Resolution144 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1526
Image Height942
>>
File: a7s1.jpg (407 KB, 1731x668) Image search: [Google]
a7s1.jpg
407 KB, 1731x668
>>2762051
It's not a color calibrated monitor, it's a Dell ips panel and I'm using camera raw 9.4, I thought they should still let me see something similar to what I see on the a7s, unless there is something I'm doing wrong and that ITU709 should only be used in a specific way. I never had this problem with my shitty rebel so that's why I am asking why this is happening.

I don't think it is irrilevant, I don't know if it's supposed to happen or it's something wrong I'm doing, how can I know if I need it or not?

Pic related is what I see on my pc and what I see on my camera. Sure it's taken from a camera phone and you're using a different monitor but the differences should still be visible. Is this normal?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
>>
>>2762055
I mean left one looks dead, right one is almost a lsd trip. On my t2i I never got this issue and this happens exclusively with that picture profiles. Other photos took without or with different pp are not that different. I need someone with an a7s that can tell me why it happens and when I should use it/if I should use it.
>>
>>2762055
> I thought they should still let me see something similar to what I see on the a7s
Never really the case unless all your display devices are calibrated and can kinda represent the same range of colors visible to the naked eye.

Either way, that's probably the smaller issue here.

> I mean left one looks dead, right one is almost a lsd trip.
Okay, what's supposed to be on the left side of that image?

Is it a screenshot of the same video footage that is playing on what is presumably the display of the A7S on the right, but played on a computer?

Or is it a shot of the same scene made with a different camera that does NOT map its sensor data into ITU-709 color space?
>>
>>2762068
left is the raw file converted in jpeg using default settings on camera raw. When I look at it through my monitor and smartphone, it looks the almost the same, same dead look. I'm ok with it.

Right is a photo taken with my smartphone of my a7s screen. Everything was put together on paint (lol) and saved in jpeg.

Using my eyes and looking directly at both monitors, and then looking the composition through my pc monitor only, there is no difference, as left and right still look very different.

Now, from what I read on google this color space is mostly used by our current tvs, I don't know how it works but I suppose you need to save those files with the same color space otherwise you will have some kind of inconsistency with the colors, right? This means the a7s monitors don't use ITU709 and that's why it looks like shit if saved like that?
>>
>>2762076
So the next question is: do I need an external monitor that uses ITU709 to see a similar image to the one displayed on a TV that uses the same colorspace?

Is there a way to make the a7s monitor/viewfinder show it the way it's supposed to be while still using the ITU709 in the picture profile settings?
>>
>>2762076
So the left side is RAW->Adobe RGB or something.

And the right side was sensor data of your A7S mapped to ITU-709 on the camera, not color graded.

Okay, well, this is the obvious thing that will happen with "the usual" (there are a bunch of variations, but eh...) way to map from a wider color space to a narrower one.

Completely normal, also easy to see that it happens on other devices:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYmAyHsitNc

You fix it by understanding (you know, *including* the most basic of basics such as color spaces - especially if you fuck around with them) and doing your color grading.
>>
>>2762080
Try playing back the video that the A7S recorded with ITU-709 on your computer, not just the A7S. I think you might notice something.
>>
>>2762040
this is what you get for buying sony. the tout high specs on paper but deliver a product that is subpar to the competition.
>>
File: 1450562768944.jpg (87 KB, 531x505) Image search: [Google]
1450562768944.jpg
87 KB, 531x505
>>2762106
OP might perhaps turn out to be a masterful troll, but you have nothing.
>>
>>2762109
Nope, I'm just someone who got an a7s as a present and never cared or had a problem with color spaces, not like that at least. Also someone who freaked out because it costs a shitload of money compared to what I can normally afford and thought something was wrong. I tried google but didnt find a good answer, so I came here. Were you born with camera-basics inside your brain?
>>
>>2762102
Only tried with photos, I'll try with video to see what happens, but I think I got it now.
>>
>>2762055
the a7s is shit.
send it to me and get a canon t6s
>>
>>2762208
I'm sorry anon I know I'm being a huge fag right now but I promise I'll study all the technical shit asap.
Where should I start tho?
>>
>>2762098
Now that I've read the thread relaxed the answer seems obvious but being scared of having a faulty camera made me more retarded than what I usually am. Thanks anon, I'll try to read about it a little more to broaden my little knowledge.
>>
>>2762301
No problem then. Sorry it took me a little long to figure out what probably was wrong, eh.
>>
>>2762302
So I was experimenting with the camera and that 709 gamma option and I still don't understand what is really going on.

If I select 709 and take a jpeg photo, it'll show on my pc monitor pretty much as it looks on the a7s monitor, saturated colors. Its color space when I look in "details" is still sRGB. What is the camera doing? Is it "limiting" the colors information using 709 as a reference while still using sRGB, to be then correctly displayed on monitors that actually use this 709 color space? I'm very confused.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.