[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
noko
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 16
I'm looking for a slim everyday "man bag" that I can also use to carry an a7s+lens and maybe another prime, nothing more,
Priority is small size, easy fast and kinda stealth access (fuck velcro) while still being relatively safe when closed and a look that doesn't scream "camera bag". Don't care about water-proof materials, not in my country.

I saw a shitload of bags on amazon but they're all like this:

a: big camera bags, they all obviously have "I have a camera inside, pls steal it" written on them. I may seem a bit too paranoid but it's nice to not think about this issue and I don't want to drag too much attention with a "photographer" look if you know what I mean.

b: ok messenger bags with velcro everywhere that I personally hate, too noisy. Also most of them don't seem too safe because they don't have a zipper, just a big flap with velcro that covers the bag. I may be able to modify them but I'll leave that as a last option.

c. very small camera-cases shaped like boxes, too small, not very practical and they're obviously...camera cases. I need something like a normal man bag.

Pic is the closest thing to the bag I'd like that I've been able to find (Cullmann madrid maxima 230), but If you people know something similar with a zipper it may be a lot better.
Another candidate is the Lowepro Event Messenger 150 and it also solve the velcro problem, probably better material than the cullmann, it's a bit fugly tho

If I won't find anything better I will probably go for pic related or the lowepro, unless you guys have something better to suggest
>>
Also I fucked up the subject. Anyway this is the other bag, maybe the 100 version, smaller than the 150, is better for me.
>>
Check out the Ona Bowery, looks a tad gay but it's really small while still having enough room for a camera and a couple of lenses.
>>
>>2756738
>Ona Bowery
Yeah it looks less gay depending on the colour, I like it. Problem is it's definitely out of my budget, the bags I posted cost less than 50$.
>>
File: PCK-WB-BLK-006.jpg (222 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
PCK-WB-BLK-006.jpg
222 KB, 1400x1400
i use my DPSTCH waist bag (aka a fanny pack turned cycling pack) to carry around my A7ii. each front pocket can fit a lens. i found it to be the most light weight bag that doesnt scream "camera here"

theres no padding included so i just use microfiber clothes i bought in bulk at lowes

i like lowepro sling bag as well
>>
File: AY25119014_440x500.jpg (56 KB, 440x550) Image search: [Google]
AY25119014_440x500.jpg
56 KB, 440x550
>>
>>2756865
That watch looks huge
>>
File: 509016.jpg (35 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
509016.jpg
35 KB, 500x500
Buy a normal slim everyday shoulder bag. Then buy bag inserts for your camera and lenses.
>>
>>2756933
Or don't bother with inserts and stop treating your camera like it's a baby.
>>
>>2756933
Yeah that was the last plan, I'm a bit worried about the width of those normal bags once you put the inserts inside but it may work. As >>2756962 said I may avoid the inserts but 3000 euros of gear I think deserve a little bit of extra protection just in case
>>
>>2756962
there's treating your camera like its a baby in a gigantic lowepro and then there's rubbing your gear needlessly against each other when padding it with a tshirt would have done the trick
>>
File: develop+Grey+Gym+Bag.jpg (13 KB, 356x474) Image search: [Google]
develop+Grey+Gym+Bag.jpg
13 KB, 356x474
>>2756933
I use a normal gym bag with some 5EUR amazon insert. Works perfectly, I have space for my body, three lenses, a flash and some small stuff like batteries or wireless flash adapters.
I also don't look like a giant faggot with a shoulder bag and I don't scream "I've got a camera in here" halfway though my ghetto with it.
>>
>>2756662
Where do you hang out that is so discerning that people steal only camera bags? Just having a bag that looks like it MIGHT contain iPhones, iPads, credit cards etc is probably enough for most casual thieves. They'll snatch the bag regardless.

Or is it a case of not wanting a sensible Domke or something, that has been designed for the job, because they are too unfashionable
>>
File: il_fullxfull.284825856.jpg (214 KB, 1500x1058) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.284825856.jpg
214 KB, 1500x1058
>>2757081
>I also don't look like a giant faggot with a shoulder bag and I don't scream "I've got a camera in here" halfway though my ghetto with it.
No but now you look like a giant faggot who substitutes a normal bag with gym bag

shigiddy
>>
>>2757085
A normal bag is often too large for when I'm only carrying my camera and one lens.
>>
>>2757083
It's not like I live in Bogota but it makes myself more focused and relaxed, also makes people around me less concerned about the camera, keep in mind I'm using this rig for street photography and because I want to be able to carry my camera+lens everyday around the city just in case there is something cool. I always used a slightly big backpack but I can't keep taking it everywhere, it's a pain in the ass and most of the time I only need 1-2 lenses and no accessories.
>>
>>2757099
And with street photography I just mean taking shit photos around the city for fun. I have the a7s because I shoot videos, when I carry steadicam, lenses, accessories and all the audio stuff I look like I am going to war, everyone stares at me and shooting stuff in my city attracts a lot of people.

In this case though I can avoid attention so a small anonymous bag is very appreciated
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
This for everyday & city photo.

Lowepro Passport Sling III for heavy duty (a.k.a. country) and traveling.
>>
>>2757095
If it's just one body and one lens, why does it have to be a camera specific bag? Just get a tote bag or some shit and if you must, put one of those camera/lens inserts in it.
>>
>>2757129
The one in the photo is still too bulky for me, the sling bags are definitely cool but yeah, that's for traveling, they're a bit awkward for just taking a walk and maybe take some photos.

I think I'll just modify the first bag I posted with some strap clips and fuck it.
>>
I had the same problem as you OP. I just wanted to take my camera out with me but didn't need the bulk of a camera bag, I looked around for a decent and cheap-ish solution for a while but had little luck.

In the end I just bought a few messenger bags from Amazon based on their width and went with the one I liked most. Just measure your tallest/EDC camera and buy a bag wide enough.
>>2757301
>The one in the photo is still too bulky for me,
Then take out the insert.
>>
anyone have experience with these? They're on a good price via Aliexpress.
>>
File: Think-Tank-Retrospective-7_5.jpg (336 KB, 960x639) Image search: [Google]
Think-Tank-Retrospective-7_5.jpg
336 KB, 960x639
Think Tank Retrospective.

Incredible build quality, really intelligent layout and design, and looks like a normal messenger bag. They make a whole array of sizes and colors.

I don't know why so few on /p/ seem to have caught onto Think Tank. I've owned pretty much every major bag brand out there, in all kinds of styles, and TTP blows them all out of the water. I now have 4 different TTP bags and love them.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D700
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Windows)
Photographer©Romanas Naryškin
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern802
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:03:08 08:53:24
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/1.4
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/1.4
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastSoft
SaturationLow
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2758119
>really intelligent layout and design
>lets water in unless you use the awful rain cover

I sold mine, eventually couldn't stand it any longer.
>>
>>2757917
I ordered one of the messenger style ones a couple weeks ago, but haven't received it yet. I can add my comments whenever it arrives.
>>
File: domke.jpg (228 KB, 1385x1330) Image search: [Google]
domke.jpg
228 KB, 1385x1330
I use this Domke F-5XB

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009R89L/ref=twister_B004ZW0S4C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have the black one. I use it for my Leica kit. It easily carries my M262 with lens, some additional lenses (small ones), extra batteries and other small stuff.

I cut off the giant red DOMKE logo. It looks like just a plain boring bag. It's small enough that it also limits me from buying too much gear.

I'll pack it up and post photos, but I can't say enough good things about it.
>>
File: MACW0472.jpg (564 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
MACW0472.jpg
564 KB, 1000x667
front of the domke
>>
File: MACW0473.jpg (560 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
MACW0473.jpg
560 KB, 1000x667
top view, packed
>>
File: MACW0475.jpg (678 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
MACW0475.jpg
678 KB, 1000x667
Here's all the gear unpacked.

I can fit more inside easily and it doesn't look like one of those shitty camera bags with fancy bright insides or fancy logos outside. Cutting off the domke logo actually makes it look pretty shitty.
>>
>>2758480
You just need to try to get rid of the rest. Either try to sharpie the red away or cut out the excess with an X-acto knife.
>>
>>2758504
I don't really notice it most of the time. I don't think it's worth the time. Probably could do either of those things, though.
>>
>>2758191
Water has never been too much of an issue for me with TTP's bags, but I also live in Southern California where it barely rains.

My gear got a bit damp when I was out in the downpour this past Sunday, but it's all pro or prosumer stuff and can handle a bit of water. I agree that the rain cover is a bit of a hassle, I usually don't bother with it and just throw whatever's handy over the top of the bag if it's pouring.

Aside from that issue, though, I still think they're the best bags out there. They totally nailed the pockets, sizing is just right, they're the only bags I've ever had that don't hang crooked when fully loaded, and they don't look like camera bags. (I actually get a lot of people remarking that they thought I just had a laptop bag or normal messenger on my shoulder when they see my camera come out.)
>>
>>2758504
I think it gives the bag a "eww I don't wanna steal that shit" effect, breddi gud
>>
>>2756662
such a thing as a "man bag" doesn't exist, use a backpack with a camera back inside of it to just hold your camera and lens etc. shoulder bags will only make you stand out that you're carrying expensive gear and make you a target to thieves and people in general, a back pack essentially says "i hold my shit close to me so none of you fuckers can fuck with me,"
>blackjansportmasterrace
>>
>>2759546
Agreed
>>
>>2759552
>easy and fast to access
>a backpack

dude
>>
Just going to throw my own bag related question here, I'm looking for a larger but sort of slim bag for my camera and a few lens.

I love Kitbag style bags but I'm a pretty big guy4u and normally backpacks look really sort of pathetic on me so I'd love to have something for carrying my junk on public transport and whatnot, if all this makes sense.
>>
>>2759985
What gear do you have?

DSLR? Mirrorless? An iPhone? The answer changes based on the specifics.
>>
>>2760038
Dslr, d7200 to be exact, usually only carry one lens and one flash with me.
Straps for a tripod is a huge boon but is not a deal breaker without.
>>
Anyone can reccomend a bag with a outside pocket without velcro so i can put a gm1 with a 20mm and add a bit of padding there?
the main part of the bag would be for carrying a light jacket, a zoom lens, a bottle of water and stuff like that
>>
>>2760057
Shoulder bag? Backpack? Want it obvious or conspicuous? Do you carry a laptop or anything else? Do you need space to put other things besides your camera gear?

Right off the top of my head, I would recommend the Everyday Messenger by Peak Design. It's a shoulder bag with room for all the stuff you described. I have one and it's really well made. It looks cool, too. Doesn't look like it's full of camera gear, but it doesn't look cheap.
>>
>>2760079
Over the shoulder or backpack? Obviously a camera bag or not obviously a camera bag?

If obviously a camera bag, then maybe the LowePro Slingshot will work? It's got a zipper side pocket to get out your camera. It's also got some room for a light jacket up top.
>>
>>2758475
>>2758477
>>2758480

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcvNUtVGLu8
>>
File: kånken.jpg (579 KB, 2070x2070) Image search: [Google]
kånken.jpg
579 KB, 2070x2070
I use Kånken's bag with photo insert in it.

http://www.unterwegs.biz/en/kanken-photo-insert-495688.html
>>
>>2760529
are you a swede or are you a hipster? pick one
>>
>>2760532
Not that anon, but as a Swede I can confirm that only hipsters use them here, too.
>>
>>2756662
>"man bag"
You mean a purse? Just say purse, bruh.
>>
>>2760532
Not him, but they're common here in Finland too. Probably all the Nordic countries to be honest.

University students and hipsters mostly here, also old people and nobody really cares. I have a No 21 medium and it's great but I don't use it as a camera bag, though I have an insert if I want to throw my camera stuff in.

IMO backpacks just suck as camera bags, at least if you intend to shoot from it.
>>
>>2760732
Also unrelated but I thought it was p cool that the product shots of that bag show it with a Hasselblad inside.
>>
>>2760520
LOOOOOOL

10/10 will try on the Domke.
>>
File: everydaymessenger0.jpg (108 KB, 680x400) Image search: [Google]
everydaymessenger0.jpg
108 KB, 680x400
Everyday Messenger Bag looks hella promising

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width680
Image Height400
>>
>>2760907
I have one. Ask questions if you'd like.
>>
>>2760909
How well does that origami separator work? does the bag work well overall?
>>
>>2760916
The separators (there are three) work very well. I was pleasantly surprised. The bag works well overall. very nice quality, very sturdy, very classy looking. It says it fits 15" laptops, but it does not fit my 15" Thinkpad by just a hair. Pockets all feel good and solid. I find it a little small to carry my entire kit, but as a day bag with a water bottle, spare shirt, one extra lens, and the camera body, it's really really good. Also, I have the capture clip on the side like they suggest, and it works okay, but I find it bumps into a lot of stuff, so I only use it when I know I won't be walking through tight situations.
>>
>>2760939
Sounds pretty good! Flexible kind of bag. The capture clip looks like a strong tool but the idea of holstering your camera on your body looks pretty bulky.
>>
>>2760988
>idea of holstering your camera on your body looks pretty bulky.
Yeah it's not ideal. Even compact cameras are relatively "tall" and so the weight feels very strange, and your lens tends to get in the way of your leg or wherever, since it wants to tip further downwards.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.