[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gear Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: ZURSILVERBODY-2.jpg (116 KB, 1024x770) Image search: [Google]
ZURSILVERBODY-2.jpg
116 KB, 1024x770
Gear Thread

If you have questions about a new camera, what lenses to buy and anything related to gear or wondering about getting into photography, post it in this thread.

Do not attempt to make a new thread for your new Rabal, broken glass and being new. You have been warned!

I repeat, ANYTHING GEAR RELATED goes in here!

And don't forget, be polite!

Previous thread: >>2752767
>>
As a newbie and someone interested in the X series, would I run into anything that really pissed me off about the X100?

Where would you recommend starting on the X100, X100s, X100t continuum?
>>
I'm trying to decide, what to get as a birthday present, so /p/, would you please help me?

I'm mostly interested in landscapes and a little bit about street photography. I also have to shoot portraits and events sometimes but I don't like those that much.

I have:
D7100 + grip
18-70, 12-24 and 35 DX Nikkors
Polarizer for the standard zoom
Three gradual NDs
Remote for the camera
A decent Manfrotto tripod
Tamrac Evolution 8

What is missing?
>>
>>2755938
The X100t is the most advanced and refined, so without any constraints or knowledge about you whatsoever, the X100t.
>>
Different guy here. Somewhere between beginner and intermediate. Just bought an x100t but considering returning it and pre-ordering the x70.

I really like the OVF on the x100t, but don't think it's quite worth an extra $500. I think the 28mm lens will be fine for my needs (landscapes and people mostly).

What do?
>>
>>2755948
X100T owner here. I never use the WiFi function, and the PiP Viewfinder is fucking worthless. I'd get the X100S if I could do it again.
>>
>>2755957
Return. I was not happy with my X100T and realized that too late to return. Hurt my wallet
>>
olympus (OM something, whatever) 28mm f2

or

nikon (FM something, whatever) with 28mm f2.8 Ais (or even f2? surpizingly it seems cheaper, is there a reason to that? I definitly like more speed!!)

they are both pricey. I currently got an OM2. but if the nikkor 28mm f2.8 is THAT good, i might as well change to nikon. (on the other hand, the 28mm f2 is supposed to be zuiko's best, so...idk)

thanks!!
>>
>>2755982
Order both, take them both out shooting, compare results, then return one. I did this when I had narrowed down to two and it made my decision a lot easier.
>>
Is the X-Pro 1 still worth it? The prices are getting good and I really like the form factor and hybrid VF. Would likely pair it with the 18mm f/2.

My current digital camera is a Panasonic Lumix LX3, so it would still be a big upgrade. I don't know how to feel on spending $400 for a used body from 2012 though. I wouldn't even upgrade but I'm tired of not being able to shoot above ISO 400.
>>
I plan on buying a ball head but I don't know if I should go for one with a load capacity of 2kg or 4kg.
The camera and lens combination I'll be using weights a total of 1.8kg.
>>
>>2756012
Always double the weight when you shop for a ballhead. Get the 4kg, sturdier, much less wobbling and vibrations.
>>
File: 702002.8.png (85 KB, 561x421) Image search: [Google]
702002.8.png
85 KB, 561x421
HALP

I desperately need a telephoto zoom for a function tomorrow!

I'm stuck between these three, so which one should I go for any why?
>>
>>2756020

The Canon

Because Tony says so.
>>
>>2756020
If you can afford the Canon, get the Canon. The Tamron and Sigma are not that much cheaper.
If not the Canon, then get the Tamron, Sigma has microcontrast issues.
>>
>>2756020
If you need it tomorrow, just dial up craigslist and see whats out there. Teles are the most available in my area.

But tomorrow? Little late it seems
>>
>>2756003
Depends. Look on dpreview at the things available there and decide for yourself. I was in the same boat, and bought a Sony A7-ii. I'm okay with an AA filter, and can get it removed if I cared enough.

If you're dead-set on the xpro 1, then wait for the price to drop even more. Or buy a camera now and forget everyone's grumblings about each system because who cares you bought an amazing camera.
>>
>>2756028
>Little late it seems
I was planning to borrow my friend's 70-200 f/4L but he told me he was going to use it.

>>2756025
>>2756026
Canon is pricier, but I guess it's worth it.
>>
File: Morgan_Imply.png (127 KB, 239x207) Image search: [Google]
Morgan_Imply.png
127 KB, 239x207
Posting the link to my first question.
>>2752987

I was hoping someone could help if they knew anything about Better Light scan backs.

Also, what Nikon lens to EOS mount adapter should I get on ebay?
Some say they can't focus to infinity, I don't know whether that's just because of the shitty translations or what.

How do I adapt macro bellows?
There was a nice Leica screw mount set I had my eyes on and I already own an M39 to EOS adapter, but I couldn't find an M39 to Canon FD adapter to stick at the other end.
>>
So I just won a bunch of film cameras, and some lenses, in an auction, I dont know the conditions of the lenses or cameras.

minolta 450si with a lens 35-70 af
canon AE-1, Rebel 2000, no lens on this
a nikon FE, 2 Rebels GII, flash sunpak 355 AF, flash sunpak Auto 522, camcorder RCA CC547 and a panasonic OmniMovie. I think they also include a canon lens, but im not sure, wich one it is.

I got all of this for $22 USD,

I know is a good deal, but how good it is? i plan to use the canon AE-1, see if the nikon is in good condition and use it, and the lens, how good is this lens? Also how much i can sell the rest of this stuff? anyone interested in something? Can I use this flash with a d3200 or is it going to fry it?

Pic related, but not the actual lens i won.
>>
File: 300f45AImidwestSMLjpg.jpg (18 KB, 532x231) Image search: [Google]
300f45AImidwestSMLjpg.jpg
18 KB, 532x231
>>2756034
argg, pic related, the 300 mm lens
>>
>>2756036

How much was shipping?
Was this on ebay or local?

If the FE works, you can get your money back (and more) on ebay.
>>
>>2756039
It was local, no shipping, I think it was police equipment, so maybe this cameras have seen some nasty stuff.

The FE looks more damaged than the others, I only have nikon lenses, thats why i was interested on this lens.
>>
I'm going to do it.

I'm going to get an X100S for about 600 on KEH as my first real camera.

Is this a dumb decision? Should I just get a DSLR?
>>
A few years ago I had to sell all of my equipment because money. Getting back into photography, and I'm rebuilding my accessories - Already got the camera, lenses, and a couple of wireless manual strobes. Feelsgoodman.jpg

Bonus time at soul-sucking job is coming up, and I'm looking for a tripod, light stands, and umbrellas because studio. I hate ball heads with a red hot fire-y passion. Tripod should be carbon and sturdy, but not overly heavy. Willing to spend a bit. Probably will end up with halfway decent umbrellas that are reversible.

I've been out of the game for ~5 years, so i don't know what's good anymore.

Any recommendations?
>>
File: 35mmOS.png (268 KB, 1050x873) Image search: [Google]
35mmOS.png
268 KB, 1050x873
Okay, since I've picked a telephoto zoom, now I'm looking for an optically stabilized 35mm prime.

Now, which one to go for?

I'll pick it up with the 70-200mm f/2.8 tomorrow.
>>
>>2756043

You should always start with a DSLR as your first camera.
>>
>>2756041
>maybe this cameras have seen some nasty stuff

Any film in any of them?
>>
>>2756051
terrible advice

>>2756043
Sure. The only mistake could be that the focal length wouldn't suit you. If you have done your research and think 35mm is right for you though, it's a fine choice.
>>
>>2756055
>terrible advice

Why?

I mean used of course to see if you enjoy photography.
Quality DSLRs have been around a lot longer than mirrorless and are going to be cheaper.
>>
>>2756032
>Some say they can't focus to infinity, I don't know whether that's just because of the shitty translations or what.

Nikon lenses (nikon F) have a very large Flange Focal Distance - That's the distance between the rear element of the lens and the flange that mounts the lens to the camera.

From wikipedia - In order to produce an adaptor that permits focus to infinity without corrective optics (a rear element in the adapter itself), the flange focal distance the lens is designed for must be greater than that of the camera body it is to be adapted to, giving room for the adaptor. Camera systems with a large Flange Focal Distance have lenses that can be widely adapted, while those with a small flange-to-film distance can take adaptors for many types of lenses.

To answer your question, canon has very adaptable camera bodies. Buy the one with the correct distance to get infinity focus. Do some youtube crawling.
>>
>>2756052
I dont know yet, but i dont think so, ins this auctions they usually erase all the stuff, or even sell it without hard drives or ram, it would be pretty stupid if they left some rolls on it, or a tape on the camcorders, but you never know. Im picking them up on monday.
>>
File: poor camera.jpg (37 KB, 570x221) Image search: [Google]
poor camera.jpg
37 KB, 570x221
>>2756039
the damage on the FE, Is it a easy fix or just an inconvenience to use? or is it fucked?
>>
>>2756062
>Do some youtube crawling.

I knew about flange distances and Canon's adaptability.
That's why I bought a Canon 350D instead of a Nikon D100.

I was hoping someone could link me to a listing on ebay.
I got an OM to EOS adapter that was real nice and I got an M42 adapter that was crap. The edges weren't even properly polished.

The Chinese that can't translate whether an adapter maintains infinity focus (when a Nikon/EOS obviously should) only makes me wonder.
>>
>>2756063
>it would be pretty stupid if they left some rolls on it, or a tape on the camcorders

Most wage earners don't know how to even open a film camera and most tape camcorders won't open without power.

>>2756067

Try pushing the rod down.
It might just need a crank.
You'd be better off selling it for $30 like it is than trying to fix it if everything else works.
>>
>>2756048
if they're the same optical quality, then the canon is cheaper and name brand.

>>2756043
at least it's digital. I learned on a FM2+35/2. you'll probably end up learning to see in 35mm FOV, and 50mm may feel off for you if you move to a SLR setup. 35mm gives a very natural FOV. now go outside and take pictures.
>>
>>2756057
>Why?

Because there's nothing unique to DSLR's which makes them good for beginners. Having a mirror doesn't make learning photography any easier. As long as the camera has manual modes, it's most of what you need for learning.

Someone who wants an x100 and has the money to spend on it is just going to end up hating a DSLR, buying an x100 anyway, and then end up having wasted money on a camera they didn't like. Not only that, but shooting a lot is the best way to get better, and lugging a DSLR around everywhere sucks big time.

I hate using DSLR's and if my first camera had been one, I likely would have never used it.
>>
For a m42 lens with auto/manual aperture switch, do you HAVE to modify the pin to use an adapter?
>>
I want to make a sync cable for my old manual flash. Is trigger wire enough or do I need grounding too?
>pic semi-related

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution600 dpi
Vertical Resolution600 dpi
Image Created2015:04:15 12:36:17
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1751
Image Height2500
>>
>>2756102
No. Just switch to manual.
>>
>>2756105
Oh thank god. I didn't wanna ruin a lens. Thanks.
Why DO people modify it then? For lenses that are only auto aperture?
>>
>>2756110
Yes, with auto aperture you have to modify the pin so that it is always pushed in.
>>
>>2756104
That will depend on what port / cable you use, eh.

If it's a PC Sync one, you just somehow need to short the two connections attached to it.
>>
>>2756121
Oh, I forgot to mention it will be hotshoe to hotshoe cable.
>>
>>2756048
Owner of both. The Canon is the better lens and is much nicer to use. I'm still selling one atm since I switched from Canon.
>>
>>2755938
x70
>>
>>2756048
the smegma 1.4
>>
how rain proof is the average lens? I notice that m43 has no weather sealed lenses other than the Pro series, O14-150, and a few of the Panasonic X series lenses.
>>
>>2756082
>lugging a DSLR around everywhere sucks big time

Everyone acts like a DSLR weights a 100 pounds.
I don't understand, I just put my Canon with a 50mm or my 28-85 in my jacket pocket.

If he's certain he would like photography, then then the Fuji might be great for him. I personally enjoy the higher frame rates of DSLRs and the quicker access to controls they allow.
>>
>>2756217
Mostly not very rainproof. Especially not zoom lenses.

You will get enough water inside to have droplets or stuff inside. Depending on the lens, that may or may not evaporate quickly. Sometimes water might also move around oil/lubricants onto optical elements or introduce a little extra solids / dust or whatever.

Maybe just use a 'camera raincoat' or umbrella to protect the lens in rain.
>>
>>2756030
Not necessarily. Tony is just one of those nerds who thinks that specs alone make something good, of course he's going to reccomend tha Canon, it's more expensive and to him everything that's more expensive will always equate to better overall even though it probably isn't. Focus breathing isn't really an issue unless you're a cinematographer.

Listen to what a real photographer recommends, not some geek who's obsessed with technical shit
>>
>Nobody is talking about Sony's FE 28-70mm f/2.0 patent
>>
>>2756122
Then that depends on the hotshoe in question.

Typical ISO hotshoe has trigger in center and neutral on the rest. Might use 24V or might use 6V or less, depends on vendor.
>>
>>2756240
I have Sony but I really can't bring myself to care about rumors and patents.

It should at least be announced for release with review samples delivered if not already on the market before I care.
>>
>>2756221
>I don't understand, I just put my Canon with a 50mm or my 28-85 in my jacket pocket.
What the fuck kind of jacket do your wear? A jacket for giants?
>>
>>2756241
Lol, thanks, but that doesn't answer my question at all. I just want to know how safe is connecting flash to a camera without grounding. I understand it exists for a reason, but is it really necessary? I mean, I rarely give a shit if a power socket has a earth pin or not. It just makes my super simple connector more complicated.
>>
How do I start photo assisting in the commercial market? and for those who know what is the most crucial ting to know when approaching photogs? I have been on set a few times and understand the lingo, but I want to make this into a full time thing after college. tips and tricks?
>>
>>2756259
I think you just find a wedding or something photographer (whoever might need help) in your area and ask him if he needs someone to help him/her.

> and for those who know what is the most crucial ting to know when approaching photogs?
Probably mostly seeming like a sane person who will turn up and do their job. With the normal number of hands and feet.

Photography is an unqualified job, and assisting with lights and stuff also is.
>>
>>2755938
If you have money to burn, get the X100T. I just got an X100s and it's not worth it desu. It seems like it has X-E1 performance at X-E2 prices (second hand) and it's not even that sharp.
>>
>>2756043
I got my (used) X100s for 650 NZD (~400usd). You can do better desu
>>
File: Sony-A7II-grip[1].jpg (55 KB, 640x520) Image search: [Google]
Sony-A7II-grip[1].jpg
55 KB, 640x520
what subjectively makes the a7 meme? literally new to p

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5.1 Macintosh
Horizontal Resolution400 dpi
Vertical Resolution400 dpi
Image Created2014-11-22T23:31:26-05:00
Image Width640
Image Height520
>>
thinking about getting new lens for my 50D
now i have 18-200/3.5-5.6 IS and Tamron 8mm Fisheye
I'm stuck between EF-S 24/2.8 and 50/1.8
mostly I'm shooting skate and automotive
I'm worried that 50 will by to narrow on cropp, but I'm thinking about upgrading to full frame but then, i have no lens that will work with FF so 50mm will be a good start
halp
>>
>>2756238
>Listen to what a real photographer recommends

Which would have to be you, I'm sure.
>>
>>2756243
>What the fuck kind of jacket do your wear?

It's just a standard U.S. battle uniform.
The front pockets are quite spacy.
>>
>>2756297
Sony is gud at making cameras and great at making sensors. So they released FF mirrorless cameras in their A7 lineup that have almost everything. Competitive price, extremely good specs, IBIS and other features... really nice cameras.

The A7R II particularly won most of the important awards for pro camears recently.

They also partnered with Zeiss, so they also have some of the best lenses on that same system.

Basically, they broke the Canon / Nikon (near-)duopoly in various camera categories (low light, high-end FF, ...).
>>
>>2756300
35mm Sigma Art f/1.4 might be good. I'd try that one.
>>
>>2756217
Pentax WR and * lines are weather sealed and there are quite a lot of budget options amongst the WR lenses.
Coupled with the well sealed bodies, even the beginner ones except the K-S1 "clownshoe" and the K-500 "nobody cares because there is a K-50" it is the best way to have a full weather sealed kit for a hobby.
>>
What is the best way to store camera bags when not in use to prevent mold and fungus?

I have quite a few camera bags that I use depending on the situation so the rest go into long storage (some not being touched for several months) until the situation changes, so I'm wondering how to prevent any mold and fungus from growing on them.

Some are leather, some are waxed canvas, and some are of the more modern variety.
>>
>>2756297
the A7 has none of the features the later models have (A7II, A7sII, A7RII).
Has an okay sensor in it's class, has apalling AF capability, no stabilization, not very rugged, weak sealing. It is cheap though so most plebs are rushing over it to have bragging rights on sensor size and pseudoscientific nonsense instead saving up a bit more to buy the A7II or even the A7RII for better AF and effective stabilization.
Most A7 owners care about specs, charts and numbers more than actual real life usability, probably because they don't really take much photos, hence the A7 meme.
>>
>>2756324
> What is the best way to store camera bags when not in use to prevent mold and fungus?
Uh, in the sun but dry, probably. Has other problems though.

Just normally dry will usually do the trick. If you're in a very wet climate, presumably you'd get it done with silica gel and plastic bags?
>>
>>2756300
I have a 40D and got meme'd back in the day and bought a 50 mm. It's not worth it unless you are going to make a lot of portrait work, cause it's just too narrow for general use. Go for a 30 mm or even a 35 mm instead. Alternatively, if you're more of a 35 mm guy, grab a 24 mm (Samyang has 24 1.4 I believe which I heard is bretty gud).
>>
>>2756267
>x100s
>not sharp

You must be shit
And there's nothing about the x100t that's different from the S in terms of image processing.
>>
>>2756340
The Canon EF-S 24mm pancake is the best lens for the system. I'd also recommend looking into it.
>>
So I'm new to photography and just grabbed an X100.

What sort of accessories do I need for quality of life purposes here? I've heard that a UV lens with a hood and adapter ring is the best way to go over using a lens cap. I've also heard that some sort of sling strap will be ideal so I don't have to worry about dropping the thing.

Anything else I'm not thinking of?
>>
I'm thinking about selling my xe-1 and getting an xe-2.
Is this pointless?
The new firmware update coming for the xe-2 makes it look very appealing.
>>
>>2756352
You don't really need a lens cap since your glass is strong, but if you're concerned about it, yes you can get a hood or UV filter. If you go the Filter route, be sure to get a good one (not one of the ones they sell for $10 out of a bin) but know that even a high quality filter is going to very slightly degrade your image quality (usually won't matter at all) and in some lighting, can dramatically affect your results.

A strap can be a good idea if you don't always want to be holding it in your hands. You can get a neck strap, a sling strap, or even just a small wrist strap.

I have a variety of straps for a variety of cameras. My go-to for my Fuji cameras is a peak design Leash. It's light, small, comfortable, adjustable, quick, and not overkill for the camera.
>>
>>2756362
It's not pointless if the improvements to the system will benefit you. The benefits are clearly stated in many places online. Go read them. Will you be happier with the new one? If so, will you be happy enough to outweigh the price you'll pay for the upgrade?
Ta-Da.
>>
>>2756352
I use a cheap UV filter to protect the lens and to avoid having to use a lens cap. I've not noticed any decrease in image quality (there probably is if you're looking at 100% crops, but c'mon...be a photographer, not a tech nerd), but you can sometimes get a bit of smearing and ghosting with light sources, and shooting through other glass like windows can make for weird reflections. Pretty rare in practical use, but it can happen.

I use a wrist strap or the neck strap that came with my canonet. Definitely get some of those little rubber things that stop the strap lugs from scratching up your camera.
>>
>>2756352
Get a good quality circular polarizer filter, it will make your landscapes and portraits much more vivid.
>>
>>2756352
Spare batteries. Have three available and you'll be fine.

The teleconverter is p good.
>>
>>2756407
>Spare batteries. Have three available and you'll be fine.
Mirrorless "master" race
>>
File: 1.jpg (386 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
386 KB, 2000x2000
Soooo, i'm graduating as Audiovisual /gd/ next month and i'm really planning to become a photographer.

Thing is, i've outgrown my old little crop camera ( alas, it was a good workhorse ) and i want to get a fullframe, besides the plastic fantastic i haven't really invested in lenses and money isn't a issue either.

My choices are:

Nikon D810

Extremely good batterylife
Crazy high dynamic range
Good lens line-up

But

Not sure how smooth it handles as i'm pretty fond of canon's button layout.

Also it might be pretty bulky but this is something i might oversee after getting used to it.

And the Alpha 7Rii

Great in low light
Light camera body
Decent lens availability
( I believe it has the best sensor out right now )

But it has a horrible battery life, EVF which i'm not too font off and a better model might be just around the corner.

If anyone likes to have a opinion or share a experience about either camera then i'd appreciate any.
>>
>>2756426
If you like canon's button layout why aren't you considering a Canon full frame?
>>
>>2756426
>graduating with a useless degree and heaps of student loan
Have fun in life. I really wish you will have lots of fun making photos, it will be the only positive experience in your life for a long time.
Then you will realize you don't need a degree for this and most people running a successful business on it didn't spend so much money on a degree.
So I wish all the luck for you, you will need it.
>>
>>2756427
I've read a bunch of reviews when i was considering which camera to get. Apparently the Canon's sensor is lacking behind compared to the competition.

On top of that, it's more expebsive compared to the others which i'd rather put in glass.
>>
>>2756431
Wait for the Pentax FF announce, it will shake things up a bit.
>>
>>2756428
Not sure where you live but i got paid monthly for studying, this was also required until i was 18.

No student loans for me and lots of experience but hey thanks for your input mate, i'm sure your social skills will help you in whatever you're doing!
>>
>>2756428
Not sure where you live but i got paid monthly for studying, this was also required until i was 18.

No student loans for me and lots of experience but hey thanks for your input mate, i'm sure your social skills will help you in whatever you're doing!
>>
>>2756435
>>2756428
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit boy
>>
>>2756410
Not all mirrorless cameras are batteryhogs like the x series

I can tell youve never bothered to try one
>>
why isn't there some superzoom with a stupidly high aperture, like a 24-105 with a constant 1.4 f-number. Is it physically impossible or would it just be absurdly expensive or we dont have the technology yet?
>>
Are Black Rapid straps the go to?

Am I going to run into any issues with them?
>>
>>2756455

Pretty much all the ones I've tried were still pretty shitty in that department, regardless of the fact that some were better than others.
>>
>>2756428
wow, someone's mad they didn't take advantage of their college experience.

Just because you thought getting C's and a degree would get you a job, doesn't mean everyone wasted their time in school.
>>
hey guys i have a question, im looking to get my first dslr to get into photography, a local guy on kijiji is selling a nikon d5100 for 300$ with the kit lens, the shutter count is around 500 only, is this a good deal?
>>
>>2756473
it would be huge, expensive and the lens abberrations would bad. Sigma's 18-35 1.8 is a weird miracle of lens design even now.
>>
>>2756485
300 is a good deal

500 shutter is nothing. It's a problem for consumer cameras when above 50,000
>>
>>2756410
Why would carrying extra batteries be some condemnation... If you're on a serious shoot where you'll be taking more than 400 photos in a stint, you aren't showing up with just your camera and a single lens, whether you're shooting mirrorless or a DSLR.

Toss a spare or two in your bag, or your car, or your pocket. It's not even something to mention. Also, many of them have battery grips that you can attach when you need the longevity, and remove when you don't.
>>
What should I look for in an external flash? I know I want it to have a slave trigger.
Any recommendations? Preferably under $150
>>
>>2755941
If you don't know what you need then you don't need it
>>
>>2756512
I disagree. Apply your logic to someone who has just started and you'll see it's flawed. Also I know, that I'm missing filters, lenses, flashes and tons of other stuff but I want to hear ideas on the order of my next purchases.
>>
>>2756514
If you need a longer lens, you know it, because you can't reach. If you need a graduated ND filter, you would know it, because even in good light at the right times of day, you'd have clipped sky or crushed shadows in your foreground. If you needed a tilt-shift, you'd be struggling with perspective in architecture. If you needed a flash, you'd know it because you're trying to get a certain look and can't nail it with available light.

If you have no issues, then you have no needs. The end.
>>
>>2756514
You're pretty well set up as it stands. Camera, standard lens, wide angle, graduated ND filters, tripod, bag.

A bicycle or a passport, next? A new pair of glasses, if you're myopic? A map of cool shit within 20 miles of where you're at?
>>
>>2756518
I have issues with all of those but that doesn't really aswer my question.

>>2756519
Already have a bicycle and a passport, don't need glasses and have tons of maps.
>>
>>2756522
>I have issues with all of those but that doesn't really aswer my question.
hahaha sure you do.
>>
>>2756524
Why wouldn't I have?
>>
>>2756473
Found you one. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840561-REG/Fujinon_hk7_5x24_f_28_180mm_T2_6_Premier_PL.html

>>2756267
Don't use Adobe to convert images.

>>2756362
The AF improvements alone make it worth it.

>>2756485
D5200 is better, with the 24MP APS-C sensor, and the CAM4800 39-pt AF system. It's a small jump in price for quite a bit of capability. It shouldn't cost much more really.

>>2755941
Your kit's pretty complete. A speedlight would be useful though. YN568 for TTL, YN560 for all manual.
>>
>>2756529
>A speedlight would be useful though.
My friend also suggested it but I'm not so sure, because I'd only need it when shooting events and that doesn't really interest me.
>>
Help me out here. i'm trying to figure which AF-D series lenses a gud for current cameras. do I have this right?
20/2.8: gud
24/2.8: ok
28/2.8: shit
35/2: ok really weak corners
50/1.8: based
50/1.4: based
85/1.8: gud
85/1.4: based
105/135/2: based
180/2.8: gud
35-70/2.8: ok
80-200/2.8: gud

>>2756532
a speedlight is always a useful tool. you cant take photos if you dont have light. you'll find it useful for fill light, bounce, and the ability to grid/spot/spread light over an object. read the strobist's blog.
>>
What about the Sony RX100m4? I want something easy to carry inside a jeans pocket. Price is no issue.

The reviews say it's pretty decent, packed with functionalities and has rather admirable image quality for its size but with the usual Sony drawbacks: heat, poor battery life, and complex UI.

I'm planning to go to Best Buy and see/handle it by myself but I wonder if /p/ has any hands-on experience with it?
>>
>Canadian Dollar right now

I really just came in here to complain that I can't justify gearfagging right now.
>>
>>2756547
just get a flipbac g4 grip.
best camera if you have the money to burn.
>>
>>2756548
iktfb

>mfw D500 has a preorder price of $3000 here

RIP 7DII competitor
>>
>>2756537
>strobist's blog
I'll look into it. Thanks!

And your list looks about right, from what I remember reading. Your list is missing at least the 14/2.8, 18/2.8 and 28/1.4. First is a bit poor for its cost but the other two should be fine and especially the 28 has been praised.
>>
Newbie here. I'm wanting to buy a camera and tripod for simple stop motion, but prefably that can also be used to film short films, what do you guys recomend?
>>
File: meowdeds.png (2 MB, 1192x1200) Image search: [Google]
meowdeds.png
2 MB, 1192x1200
New D7100 owner here.

1)The noise levels on the D7100 are horrible. Jesus Christ. From ISO 1000 onward my pictures are unusable. Previously I had a D5200 but it got smashed in a car accident. I used to rev up my ISO to 64000 with that and I didn't get that much noise. Is the D7100 worse when it comes to Signal to Noise Ratios or I'm just imagining things and the D5200 was probably as bad (if not worse)?

2) how necessary is a screen protector for the D7100's screen. In my earlier camera (D5200) I would just rotate the screen so it wouldnt be subject to scratches or damage? Aside from the car crash, lel.

Cheers.
>>
>>2756556
>Your list is missing at least the 14/2.8, 18/2.8 and 28/1.4
The first two are 2wide4me, but yeah, and the 28 is hilariously expensive.

>>2756582
D7100 has banding issues after about 3EV push. Also, are you shooting RAW? Post sample photo. The D5200 and D7100 have the same sensor I believe.

http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.ca/2013/04/nikon-d5200-and-d7100-band-aid.html
>>
File: DSC_8068_1_01.jpg (945 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8068_1_01.jpg
945 KB, 1200x800
>>2756582
I too have a D7100 and useability is relative. This pic was taken at 6400. It has noise but looks still decent. Indoors it starts be a problem for me. According to DxO, D7100 and D5200 have identical SNR, so I think you've become more critical of the image quality. Have you checked, that the setting you're using are identical? More specifically the Noise Reduction?

I haven't had any problems with the back screen on my camera but I'm being very careful with it.

>>2756592
I've come to the conclusion, that a few thousand for a lens isn't really that expensive, considering how some people can waste the same ammount in a year on tobacco and alcohol for example.

The banding is a separate issue.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D7100
Camera SoftwareViewNX 2.9 W
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern1004
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)18 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:01:01 22:42:10
Exposure Time30 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating6400
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length12.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1200
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2756426
Bulky shouldn't be a problem. You'll pack bulky lenses on the A7R II quite often anyways.

That said, the A7R II is what I'd go with.

> Decent lens availability
Stellar, actually. With an adapter it's basically all of the Canon EF glass with AF. Plus manual lenses of all generations are a very practical choice too due to IBIS, focus peaking coupled with a sensor that has really good ISO range and very short flange focal distance that usually means you require no glass on the adapter, just additional distance.

Soon it possibly also might all the recent Nikon and Leica M glass with AF for both if the prototype adapters end up working well.

Never mind the native glass lineup is really rather good for high-end normal primes.

> horrible battery life
You can easily get over 350 photos without even a battery grip. That's a lot more than with film, and plenty of time to swap batteries.

> EVF which i'm not too font off
Did you try it and decide "well, all the extra helpers like focus peaking, much better sight than the human eye when it gets darker, magnification, exposure preview, interface, and so much more are useless", or is this just the "EVF sucks"-meme view of things?

EVF are largely superior to work with in most situations, if you ask me.

> and a better model might be just around the corner
Always might be. Time to earn money to pay for it when it's out if it's good enough then.
>>
>>2756616
>You can easily get over 350 photos without even a battery grip. That's a lot more than with film

But I have several film cameras that don't use batteries at all, anon?
I count shoot several thousand photos without ever needing to change batteries.
>>
>>2756582
>From ISO 1000 onward my pictures are unusable
Sounds too extreme even for the D7100.

>>2756625
> But I have several film cameras that don't use batteries at all, anon?
Film weighs how much per 350+ exposures again? And how many times do you need to swap internally stored film cartridges?

> I count shoot several thousand photos without ever needing to change batteries.
I can't see too many situations where this would be more helpful than still shooting 350+ photos with far more capabilities on the camera.

And even then, you could still use a battery grip or external power packs.
>>
>>2755923
I have no experience in photography. What would be a somewhat cheap, yet good camera. What else would I need? In terms of gear. I already have photoshop, so I have that covered. I plan on photographing wilderness and abandoned buildings.
>>
>>2756687
A good camera and essential gear is subjective but a DSLR and a standard zoom will get you far. If by wilderness you mean ani-mals, a telephoto lens is usually favoured. I don't know your budget but for example Nikon D3300 + 18-55 mm + 55-200 mm will get you started. Nikon has many versions of those lenses, so go for the latest models with Vibration Reduction. Next thing to get after those is a good backbag.
>>
>>2756693
How much would that run me? The nikon, lenses, stand, and a backbag?
>>
>>2756694
Which country are you from?
>>
>>2756687
> What would be a somewhat cheap, yet good camera.
Nikon D3300, Pentax K-50, Sony A6000 are frequently chosen for value, but certainly not the only options.

Note that you ultimately might have pretty much have the same needs as any experienced hobbyist photographer (could be a FF DSLR / MILC that fits you best), even if it's hard to tell at this point whether this is the case.

Even a good part for starting kinda depends on your personal wealth. If you're middle class with an income and no kids, maybe just start with a D750 or A7 II instead of the cheaper cameras I mentioned.

> What else would I need?
Lens(es) better than the kit lens, tripod, carrying bag, bigger external speedlight are typical choices.

Not everyone needs one of these though, perhaps just get a camera kit first.
>>
>>2756694
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119766-REG/nikon_13473_d3300_dslr_camera_with.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/748119-REG/Manfrotto_MK293A3_A0RC2_293_Aluminum_3_Section_Tripod.html
This is the cheapest set I can recommend.
>>
>>2756697
USA
>>
>tfw own an olympus om 10
Is there a good fully manual lens for cheap that works with it? Stock one has done sort of ---priority that I'm too lazy to see proper name
>>
>>2756713
Already posted this:
>>2756706
>>
>>2756706
I think ill get this. Pricey but ill save up. Thanks
>>
>>2756717
Pricey and cheap are relative. Like I said earlier in this thread, some people put thousands to tobacco, alcohol and junk food every year, so investing the same ammount to camera gear is more affordable in the long run, because you don't end up flushing it all down the toilet at the end of the day.
But you're welcome.
>>
>>2756700
Middle class and no kids means starting with a bottom of the barrel used DSLR over here, like a D3200 tops. Most people over here who don't want to use their phones just get the cheapest chinese knockoff point and shoot from Aldi. Not kidding.
Only higher class people have Canon point and shoot cameras, not even DSLRs.
My country is the definition of a shithole.
>>
File: DiC-MiC-Golden-E302C.jpg (252 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
DiC-MiC-Golden-E302C.jpg
252 KB, 1000x1000
>>2756717
> $120 manfrotto tripod
I'd get a Dic&Mic E302C (carbon) instead.

Costs the same, but is lighter, can take more load, has a standard arca swiss plate, is convertible to monopod, smaller collapsed size, can use spiked feed, larger maximum size...
>>
Is buying a small compact makes sense if smartphones takes better and better photos? I mean if there's enough big difference to have a profit in quality of photos? I'm thinking about buying Canon powershot gx 9 for outdoor photography. Is this a good choice?
>>
>>2756743
>going full manual
>RAW
>most likely better video performance

you get more control basically; which should in turn widen margins
>>
>>2756743
High end compacts have far better lenses and ergonomics.

It's like all of a sudden because of smart phones people forgot lenses matter.
>>
>>2756730
It was the cheapest thing I could call decent, because the person who asked was clearly looking for something affordable. Of course there are also better Manfrottos for more money.
>>
Best strap?
>>
>>2756729
I'm not saying everyone from the middle class has to have a priority in buying a FF DSLR.

Just that the middle class' financial means should likely easily suffice to pay for like $3k / 5years or whatever you opt for, *if* it is a hobby priority.
>>
>>2756758
GORDYS
O
R
D
Y
S

>mfw CAD exchange rate
I should have bought one when it was good ;_;
>>
>>2756755
Consider it an alternative suggestion. There is also the $90 alu variant if you don't mind something heavier (but still lighter than that Manfrotto).

> Of course there are also better Manfrottos for more money.
For studio use I can think of some (I own one of them), but for travel...?
>>
File: 1447530929536.png (205 KB, 505x431) Image search: [Google]
1447530929536.png
205 KB, 505x431
how am i supposed to hold the camera
where is the strap supposed to go

i was told around the neck is bad but i saw people with good gear who looked like they knew what they were doing with the strap around their neck
>>
>>2756775

hold the camera however you want. use the strap however allows you to stabilize the camera. the strap is also useful for hanging yourself after blowing shots.
>>
>>2756770
Gordys seems really thin and like it would dig in and hurt after a while.
>>
>>2756771
Well I carry a previous generation 055CXPRO4 and a 498RC2. They're fairly compact and does everything I want. Others may of course want something different but it's something I could call good in any case.
>>
>>2756778
i mean should the strap go around the neck, or over the shoulder/arm?
>>
File: dsx1000.jpg (111 KB, 325x251) Image search: [Google]
dsx1000.jpg
111 KB, 325x251
I primarily shoot film with my DSX-1000, which uses the M42 system. The issue is that the only lens I have is the one that came with it, 1.8 50mm. Should I seek out some other M42 lens or just sell the camera and get one with a more common mount?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.5
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2004:10:27 06:18:02
Exposure Time1/2 sec
F-Numberf/22.0
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/22.0
Exposure Bias1/3 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length120.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width325
Image Height251
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>2756823
m42 is excellent. There are a _huge_ number of excellent cheap lenses for m42.
>>
>>2756838
Thanks, I'll stick with it
>>
I have a Canon 7D and a Surface tablet. I want to use the tablet to instantly preview photos as they're taken. Is this possible?
>>
I've been using primes with my Pentax. Any suggested zooms? I'd LOVE to get something in the 24-70 f2.8 range, but I'm just a hobbyist and won't need the lens quality, nor do I have the money to buy something really expensive. What do you guys think about the Sigma 28-70 f2.8?
>>
>>2756927
http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/
>>
Hey, just bought a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 for my 70D, planning on doing night photography/landscapes but dont have a tripod, any decent tripod and any other gear recommendations. Thx!
>>
>>2756974
There's one shill here that will recommend a piece of shit dic&mic, don't fall for his faggotry.

Tripods are not something you cheap out on, it's best to spend as much as you comfortably can as it's something that can last you a lifetime.

You need to give us more info though, what's the maximum/minimum height you need? Do you need a travel tripod that can fit in your backpack? Do you want Carbon Fibre?

I recommend checking out some professional brands such as Sirui, Manfrotto, MeFoto, Benro and if you're made of money, a Gitzo.
>>
>>2756986
>I recommend checking out some professional brands such as Sirui, Manfrotto, MeFoto, Benro and if you're made of money, a Gitzo.

It's fucking crazy how many tripod brands there are now. It used to be that there were basically four: Bogen Manfrotto, Gitzo, Reis, Berlebach.

The rules really have changed in the last decade for photography accessories.
>>
>>2756974
I bought the DIc & Mic E320c on /p/'s suggestion, pretty solid advice and I'm loving it.
>>
>>2756974
i bought an induro 8m 114at from B&H for like 75 bucks (no head) and it's great. granted, it's more along the lines of a travel tripod, but it's been sturdy for me, whether using it on dry pavement, wet grass, light mud, whatever. you might want to get the 214at if you want something bigger, but its still only like 100 bucks at b&h. if you've got the money tho, they also offer nice carbon fiber models. also i've heard feisol tripods are great
>>
Is the nikon d5300 considered a good camera?
>>
>>2756974
Unfortunately the Dic&Mic just plain are better budget travel tripods than most of the brands mentioned.

Half of which don't offer carbon tripods until you pay at least twice-thrice as much, and then generally still have less of the desirable specs / features on their travel tripods.

And Gitzo certainly isn't "somewhat cheap" either, they've been near consistently good, but really relatively close to the top of the price bracket.

>>2756997
Linhof and quite many more also have existed for a long while now.

But yes, China has started making good tripods under many brands, and I guess that makes it so you need to know even more if you somehow pursue "the best" deal.

Now there are many rebrands of these in the west, maybe attempts by western contractors to get tripods to sell for more than they're worth.

MeFoto is extremely likely to be just another incarnation of Horus Bennu, Induro, Triopo AKA Benro.

Dic&Mic also extremely likely is some rebrand.
>>
My 1DmkIII won't let me set expanded ISO, it only want to go between 200 and 3600 even though I have the settings for L and H in the menu, da fuq is going on here?
>>
File: sirui_ps_monopod.jpg (34 KB, 925x230) Image search: [Google]
sirui_ps_monopod.jpg
34 KB, 925x230
>>2756974
>>2757017 (cont'd)
The Dic&Mic E302C is the best offer I'm aware of.

Sirui also has this sweet monopod with a small tripod foot (depicted). It's really rather good for urban use, indoors & at events. If you shoot *urban* landscapes primarily (which I really don't know you do), this might be interesting.

The reason why it's not so good elsewhere is that while it can compensate for some inclination, it can't do much about uneven ground. Tripods with individually adjustable legs (~everything not downright terrible) can all do that.
>>
>>2757011
Hm. Maybe "fairly average for APS-C - but that's not bad" is a fair enough description?

There are much better FF cameras, there are pretty strong reasons why you might also want the D7x00 series (especially about AF and lens compatibility - a lot of the cheaper older lenses with no AF motor on their own require the AF motor that is found in the D7x00 or better), there is non-Nikon competition like the A6000 or K-3 that have quite a few advantages and also some disadvantages even for APS-C cameras in ~the same price segment, and of course there are the newer Nikons in the same line of cameras with their improved sensors and other small things that might be big depending on what you shoot.

And then your shooting experience and image quality and stuff also very much depends on what glass you use. (Better have some money left to spend on that if you're not already perfectly equipped).

It's not a perfectly easy question that you asked, eh.
>>
>>2756616
Hmm, you have some fair points.

I'm not too font of the EVF because it's yet another big battery consuming piece of the camera and because, and well i'm just one of those who like their equipment less reliant or electricity, basically the same with cars.

I am actually learning to shoot film at the moment you know, 300 something shots is a huge improvement over the...what 14 pieces of film in one camera. That's all but true.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (97 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
97 KB, 1280x720
Which one? I have a 10 year old DSLR and I would like to get a new camera, but not a DLSR. I would like something I can take on trips, keep in my briefcase that I take to work each day, and do some outdoor photography on the weekends.

Also general photos at family events and out with friends.
>>
>>2757028
Well, I really think shooting rolls of film in almost any setting other than sniping rare wildlife after waiting for days results in bigger, heavier, costlier baggage than batteries do.

And an EVF is a very powerful tool. I think you should give it a try in person, see how those histograms and the low light vision and MF assistance features make your life easier.

You can still simply buy a digital camera with an OVF if you don't like it.

> over the...what 14 pieces of film in one camera
Most would compare digital cameras to 24/32 rolls of 35mm film.

Though I guess the 40MP+ cameras could now be considered quite equal to medium format, which then would be 3-16 exposures on a 120 roll of film.

Well, for either of these, the batteries are easily the more compact / more lightweight option unless you just watch and don't shoot for *very* long intervals.
>>
>>2757037
They're very close in terms of what they can do.

I'd tend to the RX100 IV because of that. You obviously wanted a compact camera, and that one is just a little more compact.
>>
I'm selling my Panasonic GX7 which i've owned for a little over a year, the shutter is broken and only operates on electronic shutter.

How much should i sell it for? i'm thinking 200 or less.
>>
>>2757048
That sounds okay, so the new owner can get the shutter fixed for another 200.
>>
>>2757053
still debating whether to keep it or not, it still functions well on e shutter but features are limited. Thinking of getting the GX8 as a replacement.
>>
>>2756341
Coming from an X-E2 w 18-55 and 35mm f1.4 it wasn't as good as I thought it would be, especially for the price. In terms of autofocus, processing speed, screen resolution it's X-E1 tier but it still commands a high-ish price.
>>
>>2756352
Get some batteries, if you're in USA get the wasabi brand.
>>
>>2756362
I did this a few months ago, initially I was kind of disappointed but the XT-1 EVF speed and higher res screen are really nice. With the new firmware, it will be leagues ahead of the X-E1.
>>
>>2756714
No. The om10 is aperture priority. The lens you put on it won't change that, the standard om10 doesn't allow you to select the shutter speed. However there is a dial that you can buy that plugs in to the hole just to the left of the lens. This will allow you to select shutter speed.

Have a look on eBay, the come up all the time
>>
Guys, I bought a Nikon FE.

This machine is fucking awesome!
>>
Gordy's sling or Black Rapid Metro for a mirrorless camera?

Which would be more comfortable and safer?
>>
>>2756362
x-e1 is junk in low light.
the evf and live view is slow as shit.
>>
>>2756426
the bsi sensor won't get replaced anytime soon.
it will be used in newer cameras for at least 2 years. next sensor upgrade probably will be stacked memory, which doesn't improve iso capability a hole lot.

just get more batteries.
>>
>>2756485
enjoy your new camera at used price.
>>
>>2757037
the lx100 is not small.
get the suny.

>>2757060
fuji is all hype.
get a canon eos m3 instead.
the 22mm f2 is the best.
>>
>>2756823
Takumar/Pentax lenses before the K mount were all M42 and very very good + now cheap.
Adapters for M42 from Canon or Nikon were available so more or less anything can be put on you Mamiya - a great camera BTW.
>>
>>2756497
This
>People carry big 2.8 zooms or tele, various lenses, dedicated flash etc.
>hey anon carry a couple of extra batteries on a pocket: NOOO, IS PAINFUL.
>>
I'm a complete layman to the world of photography (I take some shots with my phone but they're probably all mostly rubbish, or at the best cliche) who just purchased a X100S for travel purposes. I figure I might as well start getting better at photography in general and just do some shots around my town/city too to start getting better. I might branch out and see what topics interest me the most, though I already have an inclination towards street and travel photography.

In any case, what do I need to know about my camera to get started? Where should I start with it? Any advice would be great.
>>
>>2757173
This site seriously helped me get the technical aspects down, most stuff is explained in detail: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/
>>
>>2757037
LX100 is obviously the better choice.

It's only marginally larger but has a larger sensor, better glass, better zoom range, full manual controls, has a hot shoe (put a big flash on these and the results are great), innovative system for choosing among aspect ratios, a switch for manual focus, better ergonomics, and looks better.

The LX100 is the photographers compact, the Sony is a meme and only good for people who buy megapixels, not cameras.
>>
>>2756986
>Tripods are not something you cheap out on, it's best to spend as much as you comfortably can as it's something that can last you a lifetime.

but will a tripod work with every major camera mount? (serious question i don't know jack about them)

and what about when some new camera shit comes out like sony's mirrorless, are they all backwards compatible?
>>
>>2757134
Doesn't sound to me like most people would need either of these... how about you just use the stock strap?
>>
>>2757203
>how about you just use the stock strap?
not him but it's good to get rid of the stigma ASAP
>>
>>2756431
>Apparently the Canon's sensor is lacking behind compared to the competition.
in some corner cases

keep in mind the mirrorless squad is basically incapable of doing quality sports photography or birding.
>>
File: dic&mic_e302c_head.jpg (196 KB, 900x1608) Image search: [Google]
dic&mic_e302c_head.jpg
196 KB, 900x1608
>>2757198
>but will a tripod work with every major camera mount? (serious question i don't know jack about them)
It works like this: You attach the tripod system's quick release plate or some camera "L" bracket (frame to mount it in horizontal / vertical orientation) to the screw hole at the bottom of the camera. Then that goes on your tripod head.

There are only two commonly used screw sizes for that screw hole, so yes, almost every tripod head system is "universal".

That said, other systems have much fewer 3rd party manufacturers than the quasi-standard that is Arca Swiss (-compatible) now. (Manfrotto has some, the rest usually is just that one vendor, none nearly rival the Arca Swiss mount.)

> and what about when some new camera shit comes out like sony's mirrorless, are they all backwards compatible?
They'll still have the usual screw holes unless the camera manufacturer is insane, yes.
>>
>>2757141
I have a few manual K mount lenses that I'd like to find a M42 mount for. If I could get my 28mm or 135 on to the Mamiya I'd be content for a long time. So far I can only find m42->K but I need a K-->M42
>>
>hear about this ken rockwell fella
>know /p/ hates him
>google him
>find out /p/ hates him because he shoots canon
>>
>>2757209 (cont'd)
By the way, the tripod heads themselves very often screw onto tripod/monopod feet by means of one of those same two screw sizes.

So you could for example screw a Manfrotto head with a Q5 type quick release on Sirui legs.
You could even stack them on top of each other (rare, but you might for example want to have a macro rail head on a QR plate on a regular head for convenience's sake, or mount a ball head on top of a panorama pan head with discrete steps).

That said, some tripods have permanently fixed heads too. My suggestion would be to avoid these, same as with non-Arca Swiss QR systems.
>>
>want to buy something to hold other lenses / camera / etc
>turns out backpack is the worst possible thing for it
oh
>>
>>2757223
>>turns out backpack is the worst possible thing for it
why? i bought a lowepro flipside sport 15L and love it. I mostly use a 55-300mm but if i need to change lenses, i dont need to take the bag off, it just flips around, but theres a rain cover included if you do need to set it down where it's wet.
also i really hate the style of sling bags and stuff. plus if you hike or anything theyre pretty inconvenient compared to a backpack
>>
>>2757220
>find out /p/ hates him because he shoots canon
No. It's mostly because Ken Rockwell's random opinion brain dumps are as unpleasant to some as other internet reviewer's random opinion brain dumps.

There are reviewers with more objective approaches to reviews and /p/ generally doesn't even care to discuss them at all. [They also not rarely might be using Canon or Nikon... what are the odds, eh.]
>>
>>2757223
What? No, backpacks work fine.

You *might* want the compartment for the camera accessories to be somewhat rigid, sectioned, padded, and front/side-accessible, so you'd possibly have a more specialized backpack than just some random backpack or at least insets to that effect, but again, backpacks work fine.
>>
Thx everybody for your input!

>>2756986
I think a light tripod is what im looking for if i'm gonna be hiking for various hours, also I will like it to fit inside my backpack. I'll be using it for traveling and during hikes. Really don't know how the height of the tripod benefits/affects me (my stature 5 '8''), any recommendations? I would carbon since its more lightweight. Thx man, I will check all those brands.

>>2757006
Thx, it looks like a good sturdy tripod

>>2757009
The Induro 8X CT-314 looks great but almost $400 is a bit out of budget right now, the aluminum version looks great, does the load capacity makes any kind of difference with the gear i have?

>>2757017
thx mate

>>2757021
Im looking for a tripod that can be used outside in unstable terrains, but this looks really versatile. Thx.
>>
>>2757037
me again. I decided to just go with the Nikon7200 and get back into photography in a more serious way.
>>
File: trolling-origins.jpg (34 KB, 729x145) Image search: [Google]
trolling-origins.jpg
34 KB, 729x145
Speaking of Leica..
ah back when "trolling" was a novelty and so rare that it deserved it's own quotation marks

PhotographerAJ
>>
>>2757260
>does the load capacity makes any kind of difference with the gear i have?
i've used a K-3 with 55-300mm zoom, and a pretty heavy pistol grip head, and its fine, even with my smaller 114at. the 214 is a little bigger and has a higher weight limit, but you should be good either way. i think the 8m alloy versions are discontinued, so you can find them for cheap. plus idk what you shoot, but the twist grips on the induros are supposed to be water/dirt resistant, so that's a plus
>>
>>2757271
at B&H the 214at is 100 bucks. you'd have to buy a head, but it's a great tripod for the price. can't speak to the quality/stability of the dic&mic, but for 110-130 a carbon fiber sounds good.
>>
>>2757260
>I think a light tripod is what im looking for if i'm gonna be hiking for various hours, also I will like it to fit inside my backpack. I'll be using it for traveling and during hikes. Really don't know how the height of the tripod benefits/affects me (my stature 5 '8''), any recommendations? I would carbon since its more lightweight.
Check out the Sirui T-024X Carbon Fibre tripod, it fits your requirements perfectly. They also have the better known T-025X model, but I don't think the centre column can be lowered, only raised.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-31_17-55-27.png (375 KB, 1030x697) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-31_17-55-27.png
375 KB, 1030x697
What do you say, anon?

Ricoh FF-1
Analogous film camera.
35mm prime lens.
Very compact.
Ricoh build quality.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Ricoh_FF-1
http://www.lomography.com/magazine/6375-ricoh-ff-1
>>
>>2757271
Really liked the at-214, shooting landscapes and night photography, any head recommendations?

>>2757273
The T-025X($240) is cheaper than the T-024X($270) on B&H, really like that it includes the ball head, in your experience, is the ballhead stable?
>>
>>2757289
I'm using pic related, from my first tripod. I like it because I can quickly just squeeze the trigger, spin it around to any angle, and take a shot. good for planes, birds, wildlife, etc. I also just ordered a cheap ball head for if i go on longer hikes and need something smaller and lighter (my tripod is like 3 lbs and that pistol head alone feels like 1-3 lbs).
>>
File: pistol grip.jpg (15 KB, 229x439) Image search: [Google]
pistol grip.jpg
15 KB, 229x439
>>2757294
forgot pic
>>
I'm about to get a Nikon FM2n with a nifty fifty. I want to get the 105mm f2.5 as well, but I cannot figure which wide angle I should go for.
Best nikkor wide angle with an aperture ring?
>>
>>2757294
Is it difficult to maneuver the head and camera w/o the pistol head?
>>
>>2757302
don't know, havn't gotten my ball head in yet, but tons of people use ball heads so I can't imagine it being very difficult or anything
>>
>>2757289
That's because the T-024X is the better model. It also comes with a short centre column so you're able to shoot inches off the ground (not sure if that's important to you).

The only advantage the 25X has over the 24X is that it's even smaller/lighter (and cheaper obviously), however the 24X is still small enough to fit in your average backpack, or strap to the side.

> in your experience, is the ballhead stable?
The ballhead included is one of their cheaper models, but still very high quality and yes it's stable.
>>
>>2757307
>>2757306
thx for the fast responses, will do a little bit of research on other brands and compare
>>
>>2757299
Get a Tokina 28mm 2.8. I have one and it's amazing
>>
>>2757289
> really like that it includes the ball head, in your experience, is the ballhead stable?
Different anon (suggested the Dic&Mic, got the Sirui PS) but I also have a K-10X series ball head and Sirui tripod, and those are definitely very neat.

The brand in general only has well-manufactured gear, as far as I can tell.

That said, B&H's prices for Sirui equipment as well as most Chinese stuff in general are a bit too high.

A T-024X is $225 with shipping on Aliexpress and Aliexpress is not the cheapest place for a lot of Sirui gear.
>>
why would you use a lens hood inside? do you guys do it?

Image Created2013:08:23 01:00:06
>>
Considering buying the D7200. Is having a full frame sensor in the D750 worth an extra $1,000 ?
>>
>>2757377
Yes and yes. It may or may not help, but it never hurts.
>>
>>2757377
Off-camera flashlights and protection against clumsy tired idiot human photographers (myself) bumping his lens into things.

Yes, I do.
>>
>>2757377
Most people think it looks really 'pro' and it does decrease the amount of light which is already scarce indoors, the only reason I could see is that you're less likely to bump your front element into walls if you're working in tight spaces and if you're working with strobes light should not really be a problem
>>
>>2757379
LOL
>>
>>2757379
Yes... but actually possibly no if you have to ask.

Also, that shouldn't be $1k more, but ~$500. Are you adding lens costs too?
>>
>>2757379

Depends on what you plan on doing. Once you have that part figured out, which camera is a better choice should be obvious to you.
>>
>>2757389
Yes, including cost of lens with body.

Just getting back into photography, currently have a 10 year old Rebel XT and need something new.
>>
>>2757393
Will be mostly outdoor, travel, hiking, camping photography.
>>
Hi i'm planning to get my first camera, i want to learn photography but making video aswell.
Have on mind thoses cameras :
Eos 700d
Lumix gx7
OM-D E-M10 Mark II

Which camera/lens should i take ?

+
i wanna keep on the 700$ price range (for camera and lens)

it will be mostly used for close distance subject and i would like to shoot things at night if possible)
>>
I would go with the a7rii because of the crazy amount of glass that you can use and the evf is quite good too. IF you are doing landscapes or arquitecture as a main subject then probably the nikon though because of the lower base iso.
>>
>>2757394
Well, I'd possibly get that D750 or an A7 II, sure.

But I figure a D7200 or A6000 will also be really quite nice. Also it might be nice to spend that $1k on another high-end lens for those instead. In particular if your budget would be somewhat exhausted for a while if you had otherwise spent the money on the FF camera, this might really be the better option.
>>
>>2757394
What do you shoot? Full frame provides advantages that most people never use or need, so if you're in the sort of photography that can benefit, it might be somewhat worth it, but for most people, no, the extra cost, size, and weight, aren't really getting you anything.

Also, coming from an Xt to a D7200 will feel like trading a 1992 ford escort for a Maserati. You won't be disappointed.
>>
>>2757203

About a year back I tested a bunch of stock straps I had lying around.

I tested by strapping them to progressively heavier plates. I was impressed when a shitty canon strap from a T3i failed at ~60lbs.

IMHO they're only really 'unsafe' because they advertise that you have expensive shit to steal.
>>
>>2757348
thanks bro
>>
>>2757397

You might want to go with whatever is smaller. I personally don't mind lugging my D810 and a big ass telephoto around, but I can see how something similar could be a real pain for some people.

Are you looking for new or used?
>>
>>2757402
>failed at 60lbs

Why would that be a problem? What the fuck are you using it for? how heavy is your camera? Or are you one of those /k/ fags who just KNOWS that someday, he'll be in some tacticool situation where he's sliding off a cliff and the only thing that staves him is his camera strap getting caught on a bit of rebar and he has to climb up...
Or like in Die Hard in the ventilation shaft, where you have to turn your camera with its telephoto lens sideways and wedge it in a vent opening, and use the strap to lower yourself down to get away from Hans and the gang...
>>
>>2757386
>it does decrease the amount of light
by how much? i just took to pics inside, one with and one without lens hood, they do look identical and the light meter didn't move
>>
>>2757412
It does not decrease the amount of light, at ALL.
>>
>>2757408
New.
>>
>>2757411

I have a shit load of straps lying around, and I also have a weight set.

So, one night I thought "Man, I wonder how much some of these can hold?", and then I tested a couple. They're a lot stronger than I thought they were.
>>
>>2757398
you can had the A6000 to the list
>>
>>2757299
the AIs 28/2.8 is probably the sharpest 28 they made until the G series lenses. the 20/4, 24/2.8, and 35/2 were all good lenses. I dont think there were any outright bad Nikkor AIs primes.
>>
>>2757430
is there one of them who's really better than the other ?
>>
>>2756529
>Don't use Adobe to convert images.
But i've already subscribed to the 1 year CC
>>
>>2757412
It doesn't is the answer here.

More specifically, it doesn't decrease the light you want to capture from the subject you're shooting.

A lens hood shields against light coming from random sources from the side. Those just *never* help to record your subject.
Granted, without bright sources like speedlights strongly reflecting or firing from the side into your lens, the effect is also pretty much always too subtle indoors to matter on usual exposures. So it doesn't actually really help in that sense in that environment. But that hood also *still* won't take away any light from your subject.
>>
May be a stupid question but is there any filter recommendation for night photos with street light..etc as the main light source?
>>
>>2757445
Probably the A6000.

You can run the basic spec comparisons on snapsort or imaging-resource.

Granted, the E-M10 has fairly okay (not really great) IBIS, and the GX7 might be interesting for 1/8000 and 1/320 flash sync speed or such to some, but the A6000 has a wider range of advantages than the rest.
>>
>>2757498
Yes. For shorter exposures or handheld shots, use the Sony A7S or A7S II or A7R II.

Or if you can do long exposures on a tripod, you can quite possibly use your current camera.
>>
>>2757498
What do you mean. Like, for film cameras?

Most filters like UV filters for DSLR's cause very noticeable ghosting and flaring when up against bright, small light sources like streetlamps.
>>
File: IMGP3445.jpg (117 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
IMGP3445.jpg
117 KB, 1000x665
>just shot 500 shots
>battery still all green, 4/4 bars
>8.3 fps burst
>24 shot raw buffer, 60 jpg
>weather sealed body
>usable shots up to ISO 6400
>cost 650 USD with 50mm 1.8 and hotshoe flash
Why is Pentx so based?
Shot isn't cropped btw

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.3 (Windows)
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)450 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:01:31 16:13:38
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/5.8
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/5.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
File: IMGP3445.jpg (113 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
IMGP3445.jpg
113 KB, 1000x665
>>2757514
though i did forget to remove that bit of vignette

Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)450 mm
Image Created2016:01:31 16:15:08
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/5.8
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/5.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2757508
Also on long exposures you get reflection and refraction problems and what not.

And there is no UV light that you have to filter to begin with, you'd almost have be using that UV filter for "lens protection" stupidity.
>>
>>2757506
>>2757508
Ok thanks, guess I'll just use my camera, I have a Nikon D5300.
>>
>>2757514
> usable shots up to ISO 6400
More like ISO 1600, after that you get tons of noise.

But it's a decent camera, sure. And you got a good deal on it, apparently - it costs more here.
>>
>>2757520
If you go with the long exposures plan, try shooting them at or near base ISO, that usually works better than high ISO.
>>
File: IMGP3744.jpg (569 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
IMGP3744.jpg
569 KB, 1000x665
>>2757521
this was taken today at 6400 ISO
not a technically great shot or anything, but its more than enough for what i need it for.
and yeah adorama had a sweet sale before Christmas

Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)390 mm
Image Created2016:01:31 16:25:44
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/10.0
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating6400
Lens Aperturef/10.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length260.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2757535
>F10
>bumps it up to ISO 6400
for what purpose
>>
>>2757536
Auto modes do weird stuff like that.
>>
>>2757536
>bumps it up
doesn't
>Exposure Program Not Defined
mean he shot this manual?
>>
>>2757536
i usually try to keep it at f8 for best sharpness, but sometimes i push the dial with my thumb when focusing
>>2757538
>>2757539
i was using TAv mode not auto (basically manual with auto ISO
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.