[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Revenant is a perfect example of why photographers should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
The Revenant is a perfect example of why photographers should let themselves be inspired by movies, not random people on /b/, not your college photography teacher, not magazines, not "prominents on the interwebs". Also, it is a perfect example of how white balance can be used for artistic effect, unlike what many /p/eople here say ("muh grey cards, muh corrections").
>>
>filmed on digital

thanks but no thanks, buddy.
>>
>>2755309
>>>/tv/
>>
Also, if someone could tell me how they managed to get this shot in that weather with such a narrow aperture at that speed, that would be great.
>>
>>2755315
magical cine cameras
>>
>>2755315
Lots of the film has a small aperture. I think they'll be using something like the Sony A7r. Maybe a Black Magic or Red have cameras with ridiculous ISO too.
>>
>>2755315
>overcast day (still pretty bright)
>reasonably wide lens
>aperture likely not that narrow
>relatively high iso (digi cine cams operate well at iso's much higher than still cams)
>>
>>2755322
It was shot on Arri Alexa 65, Arri XT, and some on the RED Epic Dragon.
>>
what has revenant done what other filmmakers havent?

Nothing

Stop projecting your shit onto the faceless void of /p/ or fuck off
>>
>>2755309
>colorist unable to get the white balance right
>fuck it, we'll just call it "style"
yeah right
>>
File: snowangel2.jpg (491 KB, 2048x1362) Image search: [Google]
snowangel2.jpg
491 KB, 2048x1362
>>2755315
meh

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeJoint Photographic Experts Group
Camera ModelJpeg File
Camera SoftwareCapture One 9 Macintosh
PhotographerKimberley French
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created--
Image Width2048
Image Height1362
>>
>>2755309
>>2755333
It's not even about white balance anymore. Movies always have a specific color scheme and Revenant is all in the blue just so the audience knows it's really fucking cold.
They even muted the red on his lips and the blood on his face.
All the colors are intentional in movies
>>
bit of an assumption to say that photographers are only inspired by posts on 4 chan or magazines or internet advice nerds.

weird to make a thread about it in fact.

most photographers are inspired by photographers (sometimes they'll see the work by photographers in magazines!!!!!!1)

I'm going to assume back at u that this is the first thing you've ever seen thats inspired you and you've had to rush to make a thread about it.

WIERDO
>>
>>2755378
>I'm going to assume back at u that this is the first thing you've ever seen thats inspired you and you've had to rush to make a thread about it.

this to be honest. kid's probably 18 or 19 and The Revenant is the first 2DEEP SERIOUSART movie he's seen.
>>
>>2755330
>faceless void of /p/

Jesus christ, you're pretty much on the ball but this makes you sound like an acne-ridden fedora.
>>
>>2755326
Thanks. I don't know about the others but the Alexa 65 tops out at 3200. I thought the shutter speed (water droplets look pretty still) and aperture (DOF looks pretty big) would need more than that but I haven't got any experience in that kind of thing.
>>
>>2755447
No problem. Exif here >>2755344 reveals it was taken by Kimberley French, the set photog, which I guess makes our discussion moot.
>>
>>2755315
everything was natural lighting except for a scene by a campfire.
>>
>>2755333
I'm pretty sure the people who did The Revenant can get white balance right. Yet they STILL do colors.

You're just being an autist about this.

>>2755372
>All the colors are intentional in movies

As they should be in photography

>>2755378
>most photographers are inspired by photographers
Not my experience, but yes, I was making this for a particular audience.

>>2755384
It's not even 2DEEP.

>>2755659
Yes, if natural lighting is colored. lol
>>
>>2755309
White balance can be used to artistic effect in support of a visually directional scene. Making a photo of a bowl of fruit blue doesn't instantly make it sad, or lonely. Just like hitting a washer with a hammer doesn't actually get anything done, randomly using white balance "for artistic effect" without support is useless. Most of what /p/ critiques color about is due to this issue.

Just throwing that out there.
>>
>>2755890
This should be obvious to anyone. Those examples get closer to "entertainment effect" than actual "artistic effect", or well, just poor bad judgment.

But there are real people out there who will shake their fists at anything that hasn't been grey carded to hell, even if it looks utterly shit and does about the same for the scene/photo as the photo of a bowl of blue fruit.

Good input. Thanks.
>>
Bumping for based Lubezki and Inarritu's masterpiece.
>>
>>2755456
Oh right. I thought it was a frame. Still, from the clips I've seen it does seem to have really big DOF with very little motion blur.
>>
Leo was overrated as fuck in this

Based Hardy is a much better actor

>he ate raw liver or some shit and got inside a dead horse

Protip: that does not = acting

On a related note, cinematography was excellent and looked way better than the cinematography in the hateful eight
>>
>>2755886
>Yes, if natural lighting is colored. lol
White balance
>>
>>2755372
it looks like ass though
>>
>>2756112
I thought the Hateful 8 cinematography was pretty good, as Tarantino's last few films in general are, but the 70mm ultra-Panovision-rama-luxe was definitely overhyped and not needed for a film that was 80% interior close ups.

Agreed that Revenant blew it out of the water, though.
>>
>>2756583
agreed, I was super excited for those huge wide landscape shots and then...in a cabin...those fucks
>>
>>2756583
Tarantino is just a wanker. H8ful8 was a pretty good movie, though.
>>
Fuck you guys. "Not on film, no thanks", one of the most short sighted and fedora tipping things I've ever heard. If you like film more than digital for your work, that's cool. But if you believe they don't each fit better in different scenarios then you're seriously missing something.

Nothing individually hasn't been done before in any movie. ultra-wide angle, bone chilling color grade, PoV and long continuous shots. But when put together in varying proportion you get this weird thing called style that I understand few people on /p/ have an eye for.
>>
>>2755309
Revenant bluray when?
>>
>>2757320
relevant bluray when
>>
>>2759380
I need dat sweet bear asshole in 1080p m8
>>
Inspiration is everywhere, not just in photos/movies or art forms in general.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.