[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Digital Storage/Back Up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
File: LRcata.png (7 KB, 239x112) Image search: [Google]
LRcata.png
7 KB, 239x112
Hey /v/, what's the best solution for digital storage and back ups?

I current run a single 1TB HDD internally for storage and an external 1TB HDD for 1:1 back-ups. Thinking of creating an off-site/cloud storage for triple redundancy but not sure exactly on how to do this (NAS, Google Drive? etc.)

I want to know how you guys deal with this stuff.
>>
>>2754260
>/v/
Apologies com/p/adres. I is stupid.
>>
File: 1345354676625.jpg (25 KB, 446x300) Image search: [Google]
1345354676625.jpg
25 KB, 446x300
>mfw I've taken zero photos since I've been waking up at 7pm every day for the past month

god im shit
>>
>>2754275
I force myself to use my gear since I've spent so much on it. Thankfully though that I'm getting paid for it, not regular enough to live on, but enough to buy more gear.
>>
>>2754260
For RAWs + lightroom catalog, I also use a 1TB external. I backup once a week or so. Edited pictures then get shitposted to FB, my site, and sometime /rpt/.

If you really want online backups, Google Cloud Services is basically the best infrastructure you'll find (in terms of speed/reliability/never losing your shit/etc). "Nearline"-tier storage is $0.01/GB/month. Note that egress is $0.12/GB, so pray you don't need your backups. See https://cloud.google.com/storage/pricing

IMO it's too expensive. 100GB of RAWs will cost you $1/month, then if you need to restore you're paying $12. Better just keep buying externals for $30 and go rent a safety deposit box for another $20/year to get your offsite backups.
>>
File: .jpg (16 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
16 KB, 700x394
I just don't shoot too much, 30-60 photos, delete all crap(90%), RAW on PC and external disc, jpg in flickr/google/other things.
>>
File: 2016.png (7 KB, 242x143) Image search: [Google]
2016.png
7 KB, 242x143
I'm starting to fill up my HDDs...
>>
I run 2 1TB internal HDDs, one for random data and the other just for my Lightroom catalogs, and then an SSD just for OS + programs.

There is only 10GB left on my Lightroom HDD and I'm trying to figure out what I should do next... I'm thinking of buying another internal HDD and start another catalog, and then buy an external HDD and back up my filled Lightroom HDD.

Any other ideas?
>>
I keep small files like raws directly on my home server's zraid and work directly on a smb share
it automatically syncs the important volumes to a backup machine in the basement so it's not really offsite but every now and then I pull some extra backups of important stuff manually on a drive that sits on a shelf at work, but it's not that consistent
cloud services are much too expensive for the amount of data one would need, same with root servers of that size
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.