[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is photography even art, how does it compare to painting? [EXIF
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: unnamed.jpg (313 KB, 1200x950) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
313 KB, 1200x950
Is photography even art, how does it compare to painting?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwarePicasa
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width1200
Image Height950
>>
>>2751884

Yes and no.

A lot of paintings aren't what I'd call 'art' either.
>>
>inb4 175 replies and all of the worst aspects of /p/ because retards just cannot help themselves from replying seriously to obvious bait.
>>
Why is painting considered art?
>>
>>2751884
>Is photography even art

only when its abstract.
>>
File: arts-graphics-2008_1183879a.jpg (14 KB, 350x284) Image search: [Google]
arts-graphics-2008_1183879a.jpg
14 KB, 350x284
I subscribe to the notion that anything intended as art is art.

See Duchamp's Fountain
>>
>>2751884

If it's "art" then does that make it better somehow? Who the fuck cares what art is? Fuck art.
>>
Painting is the superior form of art. Most photographers are just failed painters or draftsmen. Painting in it's expression is much more potent, the range of expression in photography is shamefully small compared to painting.
>>
>>2751884
I contend that art must reference itself as the thing in question and then transcend its own limits, that is it must be art and be about art and be capable of informing a view beyond what is tangible at least to one of the senses. This is where photography gets a bad name - it's very hard to look past the content of a single image. Equally overlooked is the fact that never is this achieved in a single work of art as a single work of art is only a piece of art; a part of a greater whole. Starry night by itself is no profound statement on anything but the body of Van Goghs work is perhaps the most profound statement on style and honesty and subjectivity. This is not to say the size or scope of ones work is important but only that it takes intense dedication to demand a meaningful value just as it takes entire paragraphs to articulate a single point. What makes art is an artist and an artist is no less a creation that requires the same commitment.
>>
>>2752036

...draftsmen? Really? It's not that hard to be a draftsman.
>>
>>2752277
In art terms it means someone skilled at drawing, not someone who draws plans and technical drawings.
>>
File: 1449425477196.jpg (16 KB, 450x320) Image search: [Google]
1449425477196.jpg
16 KB, 450x320
>>2751910
Thats not helping photography's case as being art though, Duchamp made sculptures primarily and that's what the piece was about; the limitations as to what can and cant be used to sculpt. Just because theres a picture of it doesn't make photography art. Though i totally believe photography can be an art form.
>>
>>2751910
Oh fuck i mis-read this.
Yeah no OP he's right.
>>
>>2751884
Photography can be used to interpret landscapes, architecture, faces et cetera. If used to do this in original ways, it definitly deserves to be called art.
>>
File: scream.jpg (131 KB, 312x385) Image search: [Google]
scream.jpg
131 KB, 312x385

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width321
Image Height420
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
Image Created2016:01:25 15:02:52
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width312
Image Height385
>>
>>2752307

That's pretty much a matter of putting in the hours unless you have parkinsons or something.
>>
>>2752734
I do believe you can be taught to draw/paint but some people just suck at it. A bit like playing the guitar, some people just get it and others spend years at it and still murder "House of the Rising sun".
>>
I think people are very overwhelmed with the thought of painting, and never even attempt it. They may find it easier than they thought.

Perhaps its the same confusion as when you see a real camera for the first time and you have to understand aperture, ss, iso and all else together
>>
File: owl.jpg (70 KB, 500x407) Image search: [Google]
owl.jpg
70 KB, 500x407
>>2752871
>>
>>2752869

I kinda disagree on that.

Most douchebags who spend years without gaining much technical proficiency are the same jackasses who don't actively practice, and read/take lessons, and only look at the same tabs over and over.

Same deal with painting. Being technically proficient is pretty easy. Whether or not what you paint is anything people will like is a different story.
>>
>>2752897
I kinda agree with you.

Learning to play an instrument or paint does require real discipline.

>Same deal with painting. Being technically proficient is pretty easy
Do you paint?

These days you can skip drawing skills at art college because muh art

When I did art collge years ago there were some real drawing nazi tutors. Everyone hated them. I didn't.
>>
>>2752912
>These days you can skip drawing skills at art college because muh art
I thought it was the other way around, namely that they skipped it because they assumed that everyone would already have the necessary skills before they enrolled.
>>
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/art-definition/#InsDef
>>
>>2752914
lol no

At best most teenagers will turn up for interview with some drawings of their favourite band copied from the album cover. That isn't drawing.
>>
>>2751884
my photography teacher used to say that photography is like painting with life

the art of capturing moments in time or some shit like that
>>
>>2752912

I paint for shits and giggles. My main job is being a cartographer so I do have to make shitty illustrations sometimes too.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.