[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a pro anything >tfw no Jackie Chan 550D
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
Ask a pro anything

>tfw no Jackie Chan 550D
>>
>>2749295
show us what you got. then we wil judge if you are a pro. ya cunt
>>
>>2749295
He's a big guy.
>>
>>2749295
>tfw your EOS is older than Jackie Chans
feelsbadman
>>
>Jackie Chan can't afford a fullframe
>can't afford more than a kit lens
>>
>>2749295
How to make it as a band photographer?
>>
>>2749295
What makes you think you a pro?
>>
>>2749438

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l00Ey3n37E

>>2749448

I own a FF camera.. Oh, and I my firstnamelastnamephotography.com business made over 100k in 2015.

Take your pic.
>>
>>2749466
you have a website!!

What do you specialize in?
>>
>>2749473

I specialize in making money with my one and only skill.

If you want to make money from photography leave /p/ forever, the 3art5me photos that this shitty board rates so highly do NOT make money, they are valued by no one and no one gives a shit about /p/s wow great capture street film snapshits (unless you are Eric Kim).

I am here to give practical advice on photography BUSINESS.
>>
>>2749481
I asked what kind of photography do you specalise in? ie; What work was the main providor to that 100k figure you said..
>>
>>2749481

Strange... not seen one piece of practical advice yet.
>>
>>2749481
I'm starting to really believe this. I think I take "good", techinically proficient photos but I still haven't managed to ever find work. I don't want to say "pander", but maybe separate artistic pursuits from a "career"?

I'm probably not making any sense. Basically I'm a competent photographer that probably doesn't take the pics necessary to attract clientele for portraits or events based on what the average consumer likes. Also, I'm not retarded but probably don't quite have "business sense".
>>
File: 3484011749_38a78194a3_b.jpg (190 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
3484011749_38a78194a3_b.jpg
190 KB, 1024x683
>>
>>2749481

Okay, so how do you get the high school senior's parents to order the deluxe package with the extra 5×7's and key chain?
>>
>>2749295
>18-55 kit
>>
>>2749295
>>2749295
How in the fuck do I remove all the fucking noise in my raw photos and add some more of the original Colour? I've been editing this picture of a model posing on a runway but her eyeshadow does not show in the raw pic and I can't make it visible. Also there are so many little grains but turning up the luminescence simply blurs out other features I need like the folds in her dress. Also I need a way to bring more wariness to the Colour of her skin but turning up vibrancy just makes her more yellow.

Pls help an amateur student who didn't bother to listen in photo composition class.

Other advice on fashion photography is greatly appreciated. I usually just bum around at 12-3am taking grainy ass pictures of buildings and stuff because that's what I enjoy, fashion is something entirely new to me that I really enjoy doing.
>>
>>2749613
can you post it as an example?
>>
>>2749613
stop shooting at iso 6400
>>
>>2750446
That's the thing, I can't help it when shooting an indoor runway where everything is dark as shit. Any advice aside from buy a better lens? I have the basic canon dslr lens.
>>
>>2750522
if you can't buy a better lens, then buy a better body. also, is flash photography allowed?
>>
>>2750524
I was using a canon 700D, my aperture was at its lowest, shutter speed was 1/100- 1/125 cos the models moved quick. I had to turn up the ISO else the pics were too dark.
>>
>>2750524
Actually it might've been a 70D
>>
Not one 'pro' comment in this whole thread.
>>
>"pro"
>>
Ask a pro who won't answer any of your questions anything.

;^))
>>
>>2750555

I am monitoring the thread while I edit todays work, if any decent questions are asked about photography as a career I will answer.
>>
For someone just put of school looking to get into a career in photography - where would be a good place to start? Finding work as an assistant for a photographer/photography business?
>>
>>2750563
Not photography but business question: I work with my father in a family business. I started saving up money on my hobby which turned into saving money for education (STEM degree in connection with the family business). The tuition fee is due next month.
My father as business partner regularly asks for the money I make in the business including my savings to spend it on bad business decisions and tonnes of his own debts. Right now he wants my education funds I try to keep separately. I don't want to give it up to him and he is quite angry right now. What do?
>>
How do you sell to your clients? Do you negotiate a price beforehand or do you upsell your work afterwards? Do physical prints help in your process?
>>
>>2750589
Not op, but get the idea of an upsell out of your head.

Say you shoot a wedding.
You sit down with the client before hand and go through packages/options and variously set expectations. Once they agree on a package (that generally includes some number of prints), and how the service will take place (e.g. multiple days? is the rehearsal dinner included, posed shots before the service, after the service, on a different day), you'll either take payment in full (best idea) or a deposit.

All pictures get taken, you do a cull and post process a bunch, then deliver them the proofs. They select what gets printed per the original agreement, and you include like a flier with pricing if they want to increase the number of prints (which you'll often tell them about during the original package negotiations because sometimes they get tied up on what print package to take and it takes a lot of pressure off if you can tell them "hey, just pick a smaller one for now, and after you get the proofs, you can still order more"). When the finished products are delivered you give them information on how to reorder prints.

If you find yourself trying to squeeze clients for more money after the initial deal is set in almost any other way, you're going to get a bad reputation in a hurry. One of the biggest things about being in the service sector these days is managing expectations. The best way to do this by being open, clear, and upfront about the things that will cost money.
>>
>>2749521
Go to pinterest and search for things like "wedding photography" "senior picture" etc. Look at the stuff that gets pinned. If you want to make money consistently, do something along those lines.
>>
>>2749418

For you.
>>
>>2750584
not pro guy but is your father owner doubling as ceo? if yes hire outside help or lease out your business
>>
>>2750613
I'm planning to leave the business and start on my own in a far away country but I need the degree first. So far I could hold on to my hard earned money because my acknowledgment is needed to transfer it, otherwise he would've taken it earlier.
I only have to put up with his shit for 3 more years and I'm gone.
>>
>>2750620
Go work on your own. Nothing good can come of the current situation.
>>
>>2749295

As we've not had one single 'pro' answer yet....

OP,

- what area of photography do you work in?
- what was your gross turnover for the last 3 financial years?
- who underwrites your public liability insurance?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5.1 Macintosh
PhotographerJesse Wild
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern1354
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width5533
Image Height3682
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2013:04:04 16:15:08
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/9.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/9.0
Exposure Bias1/3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceCloudy Weather
FlashFlash, Compulsory, Return Not Detected
Focal Length24.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width610
Image Height406
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2750623
Yeah, I know it is pretty grim but I pay my education from this. Without me in half of the situations my dad is helpless so he knows I'm needed which gives me a bit of ground, plus I am performing well at the uni.
On the first opportunity I will have to stand on my own I will leave, there is no question about it and venting on this made me even more sure.
>>
>>2750597
With this method there are two instances you are upselling. At the initial agreement you can set your price for your work. That flyer afterwards is already a useful tool if they really love your photos. If you squeeze them it's pretty desperate, but you are informing them what their money is worth. If you can provide them more value for what theyre paying, then you can walk out with perhaps a little extra in your pocket and satisfied customers.
>>
>>2750626

OP? Anywhere?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.