[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I used to have a Canon 7D which I loved very much, but I had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: s-l400.jpg (27 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
s-l400.jpg
27 KB, 400x400
So I used to have a Canon 7D which I loved very much, but I had to sell it due to reasons. I'm looking to get a new DSLR (primarily for video, but I'll be taking a lot of photos as well) and my budget is limited. I was looking at the Nikon D3300, and I'm wondering are there any better alternatives? 1080p 60fps and 24fps is a must, and I'm motivated to buy something that's very good in low light
>>
>>2741380

Why are you interested in migrating to Nikon? SHouldn't you stay with Canon and use the glass you already have?
I'm a nikon shooter btw
>>
>>2741383
I sold the glass as well, I'm really just looking for the best camera in this price range
>>
>>2741380
Why not get a 7DII? It should drop its price considerably when the D500 comes out.
Or just a used 7D, those are still very good cameras.
Don't buy an entry level plastic shit.
>>
>>2741380

> I'm wondering are there any better alternatives?
>DSLR

not at that budget
>>
You will want to stick to Canon for video use. Nikon is nicer to use than Canon for still photography, but gets absolutely stomped by Canon in videography. Go with the SL1 and a 50/1.8 STM
>>
>>2741430

>but gets absolutely stomped by Canon in videography

Not anymore until you get to C100-C300 level, in which case Sony FS5-FS7 are best anyhow. Current gen FF Nikon video is perfecly fine.
>>
>>2741438

To my knowledge, all the current Nikons (Except possibly D750/D810/D4) do not allow you to change the aperture while Live View, and consequently, Video Recording, is active. You have to disable Live View or stop recording, set the new aperture, and then continue.

Canon is able to change all the settings while Live View and Video Recording are active, even on their baby cameras.

Thereby, Nikon gets stomped in video recording for lack of adjustment during the shot.
>>
>>2741530

>To my knowledge, all the current Nikons (Except possibly D750/D810/D4) do not allow you to change the aperture while Live View

This is no longer true with the upper FF. Also you are assuming using lenses with no ring.
>>
>>2741546
>>2741530
Pentax also allows changing aperture during Liveview and video recording.
>>
>>2741380
get a used 7d from craiglist, its very much king for video at its price.
>>
>>2741380
For video? Mirrorless from sony.

The film AF tracking is thousands times better than canon or nikon.

And you can have in body image stabilization with 5 axis.
>>
File: shoots.jpg (21 KB, 250x278) Image search: [Google]
shoots.jpg
21 KB, 250x278
What the hell happened to keeping gear faggotry on the gear thread?

I thought they fixed this like 2+ years ago? What happened to /p/ since then?
>>
>>2741530
>Thereby, Nikon gets stomped in video recording for lack of adjustment during the shot
Adjusting in camera looks janky and causes unwanted vibrations. Using a lens with an aperture ring is always the preferred method and anyone using a DSLR for video should know this.
>>
>>2741573
>AF
>video
Are you that anon that's keeps trying to say that AF is superior to MF for video in that other thread?
>And you can have in body image stabilization with 5 axis
A proper shoulder rig will get rid of the shaky handheld look without the need for in body is. People keep saying IS is a necessity for video but it isn't, a properly balanced rig is much better for getting smooth looking video than IS. Hell even a cheap glide cam can get you much better results if you lift and train hard enough.
>>
>>2741686

Yeah, but then Nikon's have their glorious fEE error which shuts down the camera if your aperture ring isn't locked on f/22 on the D and AI lenses. And Canon's EF lenses never had aperture rings on them. Even if they did, most photography specific lenses that normal people would use for video have aperture rings with click stops, which also causes video to look janky and vibrated.

So unless you're using some specialized cinematography lenses that are entirely declicked, and in Nikon's case, allows the camera to continue normal operation, it's not really an argument to have an aperture ring on the lens versus dialing the aperture in camera.
>>
>>2741719
Wrong. My D7100 allows me to use the apperture ring from D lenses.
>>
>>2742033
>Yeah, but then Nikon's have their glorious fEE error which shuts down the camera if your aperture ring isn't locked on f/22 on the D and AI lenses
As >>2742033 pointed out this is is completely untrue, even more so with AI lenses that have no electronics, which forces the camera to give you complete control(camera is usable only in manual mode for d5xxx and lower models).
>So unless you're using some specialized cinematography lenses that are entirely declicked
Which I am. Old Nikkors make excellent stand-ins for cinema lenses because they are butt-fucking easy to declick and have long focus throws. My entire lens set is completely declicked and it took me no more than 15 mins per lens to do so and add felt for added dampening. I've had no problems using them on my d5100, and aperture changes are silky smooth and precise.
>>
>>2742060

Well, forgive me for spreading shit, then. I last used a Nikon for video when I owned a D3300, so it was either just that model, or I'm misremembering stuff.

My D700 didn't do video for me to test Nikons video abilities, and my current D600 has the Live View/Aperture adjustment fuckery.

The 6D I was using in school worked great for videos. Was a hell of a lot nicer than my Nikon experiences with video. That was the reason I recommended Canon originally.
>>
>>2742109
As long as we can get the correct info out the world's alright. 6Ds have terrible moire, and Canon's DSLR video is aging very quickly. They were fine 3 years ago but now they're behind the curve. Nikon's are extremely quirky and finicky, I will not deny that, it took me a couple months to completely figure out how to set them up for video. That said, their current generation of DSLRs put out some great video images and if you know how to use them properly you can very easily get better results than with a Canon. The only true advantage Canon holds is the use of magiclantern, which Nikon has no direct competitor to. Nikonhack helps somewhat but it's still missing a lot.
>>
I have used the D5300 and it has been awesome. you are going to want to get and external audio recorder though because the built in one is some ass
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.