[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to street photography /p/? I will be shooting tomorrow but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: static1.squarespace-51.jpg (87 KB, 640x433) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace-51.jpg
87 KB, 640x433
How to street photography /p/?

I will be shooting tomorrow but I fear that I will get confronted. I'm amazed at how photogs are able to shoot at these close up range. They say that in order to get good street photos, you need to be close enough. Pic related is kind of hard to do especially with kids.

I will be using my film camera but it doesn't have a working meter. I think my phone will suffice. I prefer colored film as well but should I be using B&W film?

tl/dr how to shoot street /p/?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJI PHOTO FILM CO., LTD.
Camera ModelSP-3000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width750
Image Height507
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:07:16 10:53:37
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width640
Image Height433
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2739533
use a wide angle lens, stop down considerably, shoot at hyperfocal, viewfinder basically just to compose quickly

~5000 stranges over a few years, only 1 confrontation

most people don't give a shit, some will give you dirty looks, and others will seem flattered by the attention

don't act sneaky, act like it's your fucking job, be confident, own it

life's too fucking short to care about the perceptions of strangers whom you'll likely never meet again ever in your life, just fucking do it
>>
>>2739540
>use a wide angle lens

I only have a 50mm f1.8 zuiko is that already enough?

>stop down considerably, shoot at hyperfocal, viewfinder basically just to compose quickly

Does that mean I should have a large depth of field even though I am shooting people?

>~5000 stranges over a few years, only 1 confrontation
>most people don't give a shit, some will give you dirty looks, and others will seem flattered by the attention

I hope so. Does that mean you don't shoot in the exact location twice? So you won't meet the same people again?

>don't act sneaky, act like it's your fucking job, be confident, own it
>life's too fucking short to care about the perceptions of strangers whom you'll likely never meet again ever in your life, just fucking do it

Thanks. That is really encouraging. Well aside from being affected by others is using my phone as lightmeter slow me down? My main problem with it is when the sun is shining and suddenly it gets clouded and I need to adjust the exposure or when my subject get's into a dimmer area.

What happened with the confrontation? Actually I fear that I might take a photo of a qt then he might get a police and say I'm a stalker or sexual offender.
>>
>>2739533

get good inspo. your pic related is an awful photo of nothing. went to that page (http://www.peterscottdavison.com/shooting-film/) and found similar snapshits. you have started wrong right away if you think thats a good picture, let alone a "street photo".

you can only be as good as the quality of your inspiration. unless youre a genius. but even then you need some proper references.

go and shoot in a place that makes you a bit uneasy. ive seen shit street here on /p/, photos inside literal shopping malls, dont do that. they are safe spaces, but are the dullest places on earth.
>>
File: IMGP3394-2.jpg (152 KB, 798x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMGP3394-2.jpg
152 KB, 798x1200
I tried to get into street when I was in Colombia and started out with pictures like the attached one, after a while I became more confident and the pictures became more personal. As posted before, confidence and presence is key...

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.2.1 (Windows)
PhotographerZAKARIYYA MEISSNER
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:10:29 21:25:40
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastHard
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
>>2739547
>I hope so. Does that mean you don't shoot in the exact location twice? So you won't meet the same people again?

Lol, what city are you in?
>>
I'm also going to do some street /p/otography. Do you guys ask the people before you take pictures of them? Where do you live? Which of these countries are good/bad for street photography? Germany, Tanzania, Nepal, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Canada, Iceland
>>
If you're a pussy like me take a few safe shots first where you know there's almost 0 chance of confrontation.
On the few occasions I have been confronted if it happens right away when I start shooting I feel pretty demoralised and don't feel like taking any more photos and end up with shit photos or going home. If it happens later it normally doesn't bother me as much.
>>
>>2739607
Google average year long temperature of these countries

The warmer ones are probably better
>>
>>2739540
Tis.

'Street' has some of the strictest rules of any photographic genre but fuck them. Shoot with whatever lens you have or whatever feels best to you. It's YOUR photography let it come from you not some stupid internet rule book
>>
>>2739633
>Tis.
THIS grrr
>>
>>2739540

>>don't act sneaky, act like it's your fucking job, be confident, own it

truth. i also shoot in the same locations daily so people warm up to it after a bit. they will even engage you to ask about the project/who you work for.
>>
>>2739533

forgot to add... NEVER take pics of strangers children or young daughters (if you are a male). This does not apply to female street togs (double standard eh?).
>>
>>2739550
Actually its just among the first photo that popped up on my search for street photography film colored. Most street shots are b&w and I don't have black and white film because they cost more than the cheap colored film that I use.

What street photos do you recommend then? Colored not b&w.
>>
>>2739712
>bw is more expensive
try lucky or fomapan or arista.edu processing bw is cheaper so you gotta factor that in, too

also it really doesnt matter if you shoot bw or color for inspo
>>
>>2739540
this
also, being curious and talkative is a plus
>>
>>2739547
Just sunny 16 that shit
>>
>>2739712
I think you're getting bogged down in what other people do/use. Take whatever you have into the city or whatever and start taking pictures. Don't worry about others. Act like you own the place and it'll be good. As stated probably best to avoid children and young girls though
>>
>>2739540
>>2739788
>>2739817
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8-yjR0gPQE

good vid about what you're all saying
>>
>in a public hospital waiting room right now
>looks like an old dude ran a bunch of people over
>family members are all here, plus tons more of sick people
>all these looks on people's faces
I'm tempted to go get my camera from the car. This is priceless.
>>
>>2739895
do it
>>
>>2739912
>qt blonde female cop crying in uniform
>>
35mm or 50mm for street photography?
>>
>>2739953
>not bringing your camera, lenses and flashes to the hospital
Git gud
>>
>>2739642
If you're a man and don't look pure as jesus and santa combined, you probably want to avoid kids as much as possible. You can try, of course, just understand that you may need to have a chit chat with an enraged mother + police on occasion as a result.

If female you more or less have immunity from this particular issue.
>>
>>2739970
take to twitter and post about how white feminists/internalized mysoginists are trying to silence your lbgtmg rights and then kickstart an online video series called little girls vs street photography
>>
>>2739547
>>What happened with the confrontation? Actually I fear that I might take a photo of a qt then he might get a police and say I'm a stalker or sexual offender.
You shouldn't be getting in trouble if you're just taking normal photos desu.

Don't shoot people in their own house and don't shoot on private property.
Not that guy, but I've gotten into a few confrontations. They all went absolutely nowhere, all of them threatened violence or to call the police. Offer to call the police yourself and tell them they were in a public place. If they ask for name or details, just give them fakes.
>>
>>2739989
Does having a card helps? Like a calling card containing your photo site or blog even instagram. So that they will think you are a pro or really a photographer?
>>
>>2739989
If you get assaulted, can you make some money from it if you press charges? ...now I want to try my hand at street photography :D
>>
See inspirational video at:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d8e_1413271084
>>
>>2740464
>http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d8e_1413271084

>implying he'a not already in jail
>>
>>2739825
>Just sunny 16 that shit

>implying sunny 16 isn't an unreliable way to predict exposure especially when you are indoors.
>>
>>2742651
>shooting street
>indoors
seriously?!
>>
24 or 35mm
higher iso
small aperture
don't take pictures of people's backs
>>
>this thread again
>implying street photography isn't just a glamorize creephotography by sexual offenders and pedophiles
>>
File: 6814981099_921b18ca54.jpg (86 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
6814981099_921b18ca54.jpg
86 KB, 500x281
>>2743301
>back

Care to tell why? I believe it can work on some photos.
>>
>>2743541
>love foever
>>
>>2743403
>implying landscape photography isn't just done by closet gays
>implying fashion photography isn't just done by openly gays
>implying model shots in general aren't just done by girls and ugly guys who are never going to get close to pretty girls without a camera
>implying wildlife photography isn't just done by zoophilists
>implying macro photography isn't just done by guys with small dicks
>implying stereotypes don't suck
>>
>tfw live in Quebec
laws are fuckign dumb here. you can take photos but cannot post them online without the persons consent. obviously the person will never find the photo, but it just gives the subject a reason to argue back.
>>
>>2739533
Yes
>>
>>2743578
I live in Austria and you can't even take another person's picture without their consent I don't really do street so it doesn't matter much to me but it's still stupid
>>
>>2743586
that's awful dude
>>
smile

dad is an amateur and has been shooting streets for years. he says that smiling is what lets you get away with it. it must be you look non-threatening and out there for fun.

Also, this might seem obvious, but try to talk to the person while shooting. don't necessairly ask for a photo (otherwise you can ruin the scene), but say hi, ask them how they're doing, comment on the weather or something dumb or remark out how you like their coat.

just make it a pleasant experience for them. most people don't want some grimacing dude hovering around them.
>>
>>2745919
What if you have a creepy rapey smile?
>>
being confronted is the best part though. dont get me wrong, i'm not a dick on purpose, but i enjoy getting indignant and talking about street photography as high art.

shooting film is ideal because then they can't ask you to delete it. if you are using digital, just pretend to do it, very rarely will they actually check that you've deleted it.

overall people just want to feel powerful, and that they have the right to their image. so when confronted just swallow your pride and back down, apologize and start walking away.

and fuck... if it comes down to it, just walk away. most people don't care that much, they just found it a little rude and walking away is enough to diffuse the situation.
>>
>>2739540
but you have no photos?
>>
File: selfportrait.jpeg.png.meme.png (37 KB, 1396x1144) Image search: [Google]
selfportrait.jpeg.png.meme.png
37 KB, 1396x1144
>>2745922
just remember to smile whilst framing once they notice you. you'll look totally normal like so:
>>
File: selfport.png (49 KB, 1396x1144) Image search: [Google]
selfport.png
49 KB, 1396x1144
>>2746107
I forgot to draw the rest of the body. rate my picture out of 10 /p/
>>
>>2746002
>being confronted is the best part though. dont get me wrong, i'm not a dick on purpose, but i enjoy getting indignant and talking about street photography as high art.

autism: the post
>>
>>2745919
>Also, this might seem obvious, but try to talk to the person while shooting. don't necessairly ask for a photo (otherwise you can ruin the scene), but say hi, ask them how they're doing, comment on the weather or something dumb or remark out how you like their coat.

So you talk first before you shoot or shoot first then smile, approach and have a convo?
>>
>>2746109
7/10 boring background
>>
Maybe this isn't the same thing, but I just took a bunch of shots of kids on a carousel and nobody batted an eye.
>>
>>2746887
shoot then talk then shoot while talking
>>
>>2747388
are you fat an hairy? If not, that explains why.
>>
>>2747404

No, I'm very skinny and don't keep much body hair. I'm the exact opposite of what you've described.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.