[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Making creepy/unsettling photos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: images.jpg (28 KB, 312x472) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
28 KB, 312x472
Let's talk about creating a mood.

I enjoy making creepy/unsettling photos, but I'm not very good at it. What are some good techniques for making some creepy stuff? Lighting tricks? Camera angles? Processing? What do you do? What are some of your fears, that, if they showed up in a photo, would make you uncomfortable?

Also, post some examples of your best creepy shots, and your favourite photographers that make creepy stuff. OP is a photo by William Eggleston, who is about the only creepy photographer I know. (Not like Uncle Terry creepy, but like, the photos make you feel a bit uncomfortable for no reason.)
>>
>>2734547
bump for interest.

pic maybe somewhat related?
>>
>>2734549
Yeah, I'd call that somewhat creepy. The weird colours are probably the main factor in that, but the great expression and the necklace really pull it together. (Sorry, I know that was pretty obvious, but I'm just trying to dissect the photo and it helps me to write it down.)

I'm not really sure that weird crop (where her whole elbow is not in frame) is helping the mood or not. Opinions?
>>
eliminate all reflections from eyes

easier to do it in post
>>
File: eyes.jpg (193 KB, 747x1000) Image search: [Google]
eyes.jpg
193 KB, 747x1000
>>2734565
>>
>>2734565
>>2734569
Oh god the dead eyes. That's a solid tip. Thanks!
>>
>>2734547
>illiam Eggleston, who is about the only creepy photographer I know
wot
>>
>>2734585
By this I obviously mean that my photo education is lacking. But his photos tend to just give off a creepy vibe, if you look at a bunch of them in a row.

Any suggestions for photographers I should look up that are better than him? I know they're out there.
>>
>>2734586
>But his photos tend to just give off a creepy vibe, if you look at a bunch of them in a row.
nah
>>
>>2734594
"creepy" in this thread seems to be defined as "photos of a girl" so who knows what creeps out people with poor social skills and an inability to process emotions.
>>
File: willa-holland-15266.jpg (100 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
willa-holland-15266.jpg
100 KB, 1920x1200
>>2734565
I once eliminated pupils in some pics it was fun.

Anyone remember these creepy as fuck pics of little girls with makeup on sitting in front of a pie and an adult hand on their shoulder? Was looking for that series a while ago but couldn't find it.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2014 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width1920
Image Height1200
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:04:19 23:05:06
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1920
Image Height1200
>>
File: 1415395758479.jpg (865 KB, 1679x1999) Image search: [Google]
1415395758479.jpg
865 KB, 1679x1999
>>2734598
Here you go.
>>
>>2734601
Kids these days.. there are no emotions left in their faces.
>>
>>2734601
flol thank you
>>
Easy, have a simple image then something. A single thing that offsets the image. Creates a sense of desperation in the image. Even if it is multiple things they must have a single theme or concept.
>>
>>2734610
what
>>
>>2734547

chec out todd hido. maybe not straightforward creepy, but definitely knows how to create dark mood.

oh his model series in hotels have been defined as "creepy" by betas and some women, because they suppossedly give off a rapey/whore murderer vibe.
>>
>>2734669
Man, this guy is pretty good, just browsing the top Google images results. I'll have a better look later when I have WiFi, but I really dig the mood he creates. Thanks for the suggestion!
>>
>>2734610
I think I get what you're saying here. Something that just totally throws off the balance of a normal image? I'll give it a try next time I get to shoot. (Which will be as soon I learn all this thermodynamics -_-)
>>
If you shoot nudes remove nipples/genitalia to make the models look creepy and doll like.
>>
>>2734586
you're just autistic
wtf dude
>>
>>2734569
Is the catch light the only difference? Fuck that's a good trick.
>>
>>2736577
>techniques for taking unsettling pics
obviously sexual pictures of children. the younger the more unsettling.
>>
>>2734547
The good old days, when a single chain across the entry would keep criminals away.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.