[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk careers in photography. How the hell do you become
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: hawkingthug.jpg (183 KB, 2048x1366) Image search: [Google]
hawkingthug.jpg
183 KB, 2048x1366
Let's talk careers in photography. How the hell do you become one of the people who gets access to shooting photos and people like this??
>>
>>2733314
>thug

is being a "thug" something acceptable nowadays? like socially desirable? what a time to be alive.
>>
>>2733316
Time to give way to us young whippersnappers.
Now, about my question...?
>>
Is that Antonio Banderas, Wooly Willy, and Stephen Hawking?
>>
>>2733330
At least it's Hawking. IDK the two others.
>>
I'm not a /p/ro but I'm a freelance writer who has gotten some press credentials for some events. I bought a DSLR last Fall so I'm going to use the press stuff to get my foot in the door for some freelance photography.
>>
>>2733314
know the right people

have connections

networking
>>
>>2733429
That's so vague it's meaningless. You might as well said "take good photos" and "have a functioning camera"
>>
>>2733457
it shouldn't be that vague

make friends with the right people, and you'll be able to swing this kind of thing eventually

if you don't know anybody, you aren't going anywhere
>>
>>2733457

double kek
>>
>>2733465
Unless you're going to explain who the "right people" are and how to meet them, telling people to meet the right people, make connections and network is useless.

Just like how saying "have a functioning camera" is a useless piece of advice if I don't talk about the different kinds of cameras, how to find one that meets your needs and how to use it (or at least direct you to where you can find that info).
>>
>>2733524

If you have to ask how and with whom to network, you're already doomed.
>>
>>2733524
What kind of photography career do you want?

If you want to shoot portraits, do some for free until you build a portfolio. Continue to develop a good reputation and you will get progressively better gigs.

If you want to hang around celebrities and do snapshits, then you need to move to California or New York or something and try and go to as many parties as possible. eventually, you'll move up the ranks.

another thing you can do, if you want to do 'party photography', is just go to a club or EDM show and start taking lots of pictures. Bring cards with your name on them and then post the pictures on Facebook. people will look for the pictures of themselves and you'll 'meet' a lot of people that way.
>>
Photojournalist here. Regularly photograph major events and celebrities when they visit my area.

Newspapers are shedding snapper jobs but they're still the first responders, investigators and major providers of vision when it comes to important things happening.

My advice: get into press photo. You might be able to get in with no qualifications if you have an insane portfolio.

Otherwise you'll need qualifications.

I have a bachelor of journalism and a masters of digital media. I also freelanced and worked for free for a year to get in. You might need less, you might need more.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.