[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is abandoned structure photography completely overdone? I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_0342jpg.jpg (3 MB, 3676x2752) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0342jpg.jpg
3 MB, 3676x2752
Is abandoned structure photography completely overdone? I have a lot of abandoned homes photographed, but I'm leary about posting any of it online because I think it might be cliche at this point.

A lot of instagrammers like "Tonydetroit" made urbex mainstream, and then it seemed to become oversaturated from there.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot G11
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.16
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Lens Size6.10 - 30.50 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.00
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:12:30 16:47:05
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
ISO Speed Rating80
Lens Aperturef/6.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length6.10 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeCenter-Weighted
SharpnessNormal
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeSingle
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingUnknown
Macro ModeNormal
Subject Distance3.450 m
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed149
Image Number101-0342
>>
Everything is completely overdone.
>>
>>2732906
So if everything is overdone, then nothing is more overdone than anything else?

I personally enjoy some minimalism photography, and am sometimes surprised how a minimalist image can pop out at me. I also enjoy the fuck out of ALL landscape photography. I don't care if it's the Teton mountains or a flat field.
>>
I don't think it's the subject so much as the execution that is cliche. And that applies to any subject matter. You generally find that urbex seems to have crushed blacks and over-saturated colours, street is, more often,than not, black and white and slightly out of focus while landscape is shot with the widest fucking lenses money can buy.

I think the reason for this is because so many people go on forums like /p/ and plebbit and ask questions like "I want to try my hand at _____ (insert genre), what lens shall I buy?" They then do what the loudest echo in the chamber tells them to do and everyone ends up following each other like sheep.

So, do it but try something different.
>>
>>2732912

There are 80 million photos uploaded to instagram each day. Are you looking for the genre that only has 1 million photos uploaded a day? Even if it was 100,000 photos a day, that'd still be over 1 a second. Is that obscure enough for you?

The point is that you shouldn't be afraid or leery of doing something because someone has already done it, or because it's already popular. If you believe that your work is good, you should do it. Unless you're James Franco then never mind.
>>
File: TY1XUFS.jpg (66 KB, 625x417) Image search: [Google]
TY1XUFS.jpg
66 KB, 625x417
>>2732864
its cool so it doesnt matter
>>
"Urbex" was mainstream long before Instagram even existed.
>>
>>2732944
I'd say the actual activity was, but urbex being the subject of photos wasn't as mainstream
>>
>>2732864
From a money making standpoint? Just don't be a professional photographer and be happy with life.

From just a hobby standpoint? Do whatever the fuck you want.
>>
File: Sunken City.jpg (1 MB, 2583x1845) Image search: [Google]
Sunken City.jpg
1 MB, 2583x1845
I think it's always fun to share photos. I started off with urbex which transitioned into me taking photos of the places I went to and saw here in los angeles. Now it's more about just taking photos of what I see or my travels. It's more of a hobby. Sometimes I get paid gigs from it, but for the most part I post whatever I want.

Don't ever call your stuff cliche. The moment you start putting labels on your work is the moment you start limiting yourself. If sunsets are your thing, do it. If abandoned places are your thing, do it. Post whatever you want, man.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.3 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:12:21 15:30:12
CommentProcessed with VSCOcam with m5 preset
>>
>>2733274

No, it definitely was. You just lack the age, experience and historical perspective to know this.
>>
>>2732864
photography is over done, most art is for that matter but photography especially since digital created the perception of affordability to the average Joe has gone over board.

>>2732942
is that one of the old BC hydro plants?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.