[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good evening. I just went out and purchased a Nikon D3300. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
Good evening. I just went out and purchased a Nikon D3300. I was hoping someone could direct me to a good website or book so I can use it to its full potential and really get to know my new camera. Thank you. Pic is the first picture taken with it.
>>
>>2729948
the manual.
>>
Manual is a good start. Ken Rockwell's website should be treated as God's word for about a month or two (that's with heavy reading), but after that, browse /p/ and you'll learn what to disregard on his website, because deep down he's a little fuck. Enjoy your camera!
>>
>>2729983
Assuming this is sarcasm. If not - please don't follow this.
First you want to start with the basics of lighting, aperture, shutter speed, etc. This is mostly all googleable but there's bunches of decent books on amazon (just search photography) if you want.

Once you get past the basics, you're basically going to want to focus more on the art side of things. For the love of God, avoid large amounts of /p/ browsing, it'll leave you with a completely warped and likely gear-fagged/nitpicking outlook. There isn't a single source to learn this, nor can it be really "taught". Do things like look at books of Renaissance paintings to get an idea of composition and light or google around/go to the library for books of famous photographs and see which ones you like and try figure out why you like them. Don't worry about creating your own unique style, just do what looks good to you.
>>
>>2729948
Bryan Petersons books are gold, start with Understanding Exposure and after that read the rest of the series.
>>
Thanks everyone.
>>
>>2729948
Read the manual. seriously. If there is ever a time to read the manual, the camera's is one of them. Then read Understanding Exposure. Then go outside and dont ever come back to /p/.
>>
Reading the manual back to back will not teach you anything when you don't know the basics. But when you do know the basics it's going to be very useful

Understadning Exposure is a good place to start if you're alright with torrenting (much of /p/ isn't). It's not worth buying for money. All of the concepts can be found online just as well-written as the book

Stuff you need to learn:
The exposure triangle
Depth of field and aperture
Motion and shutter speed
How your camera meters light, how to use different metering modes, and how to use exposure compensation
>>
>>2730242
>The exposure triangle
>Depth of field and aperture
>Motion and shutter speed
>How your camera meters light, how to use different metering modes, and how to use exposure compensation
This is literally all in the camera manual. The manual is good for literally nothing BUT the basics. There is nothing in the manual about finding or creating good light, directing models, how to use layering to create a sense of depth, etc.
>>
>>2730197

probably the best advice i've seen on this board
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.