[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Event Photography
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1431119940425.jpg (144 KB, 1423x950) Image search: [Google]
1431119940425.jpg
144 KB, 1423x950
Going to be shooting an event tomorrow. This will be my first event. What mode do you recommend I shoot in?

Pic related is what I dont want to shoot in.
I was thinking of shooting in aperture priority so I can capture motion or freeze the action as I see fit.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D800
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.2
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)105 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width7360
Image Height4912
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2013:10:15 22:37:49
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length105.00 mm
CommentJokin hauska kommentti
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1423
Image Height950
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastSoft
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2729750
>Aperture priority
>to capture motion or freeze action as I see fit
>Aperture priority
>>
>>2729752
>>2729750
Shit I meant to say Shutter priority.
>>
I was also considering shooting in P mode so I dont have to worry about settings.
>>
>>2729756
youll always worry about settings. believe it or not: it feels better when the photo is badly exposed because of you, than when some little computer chip fucked up for you.
>>
>>2729766
No matter what mode you are in, if the photo is fucked up, it is your fault. Priority modes are completely predictable, and completely reliable. Blaming a priority mode for your exposure is like blaming your car for crashing.
>>
> not shooting everything in manual
>>
>>2729802
>Not realizing speed and little room for error are big parts of event photography.
>>
>>2730031
then dial in the right manual settings and leave them there.
>>
>>2730033
But then any time you want to change the shutter speed to say capture people laughing without it looking blurry yo have to change the aperture and or ISO too. Much quicker to be in a priority mode and let it do the compensating for you.
>>
>>2730034
then those are the right settings.
>>
>flash
Set ISO to the lowest, with my flash I set the highest flash sync shutter speed and stick to one aperture, if you have a modern flash you might have more flexibility.

>no flash
Set ISO to auto and use whatever other settings you want.

Unless people are posing they move around and your hands move a bit too so keep the shutter speed at least at 1/60, preferably at 1/125 or 1/250 if photographing little kids.

Spend the beginning shooting a lot of useless shots just to get the settings how you want them. I don't know where you will be shooting but most environments don't chance so often. If you spend the entire event messing with your setting you will have a bad time.

If you are struggling go Auto everything. Having a nice picture is more important than feeling like a pro and taking a bad photo.
>>
>>2729802
sarcasm or newfag?
>>
>>2730070
You really don't get it, do you?
>>
>>2729750
Well it depends what sort of event it'll be. I shot ChromaCon and DocEdge (smaller events here in NZ) indoors at daytime. I kept ISO on 800 and shot manual (because it wasn't too dynamic) which got me at f5.6 smallest and 1/120s at fastest (the place was lit with candle-like bulbs and shut in four walls like /b/ fags, despite it being for well-known celebrity artists and designers) and I got decent shots, posted to website and referred for more jobs so I think that went well. Now I'm not sure if you have a Canon (pic) or Nikon D800 (as it says in EXIF). But either way if it's a full frame, it should be perfectly fine with such ISO, as I was shooting on a D5100 with kit lenses (18-55 55-200). And, no flash.

I also posted the same thing you did, 2 years ago for my first event :3
>>
I don't really get the question, OP. If you're a competent photographer then you wouldn't be asking this question. Are you ready to do an event?
>>
Put in P overexpose by a stop call it a fucking day.

event photography is purely documentation not art and in the end the quality wont matter.
>>
>>2730131
Relax it was for a friends family.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.