[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Borders, watermarks, and other /p hated print conventions...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: citybw2.jpg (221 KB, 1200x901) Image search: [Google]
citybw2.jpg
221 KB, 1200x901
hello /p:

long time lurker here, I occasionally post a photo or two in threads but mostly just read and attempt to learn, amidst the gear threads, shitposting, and noise.

I have an honest question for the amateur/pro photographers - it seems there is a fair amount of hate for any sort of borders on photos - and not just the cheesy VSCO or Instagram type borders. Is it artistically "better" to leave off any sort of border whatsoever with your photos?

Question two - watermarks. I would think it would be better to protect your images, even though anyone halfway adept with photoshop can remove them. But is it an unpardonable sin to use watermarks to protect your images online? just a basic "copyright 2015, photographer name" is all I am thinking of, not some big logo or cheesy byline.

While I am at it:

I hope the /p 2015 photobook gets made
Isi is not too shabby of a photographer
Daido Moriyama is GOD
Eric Kim rustles my jimmies
Kai is a cute (ok no homo)
My first 10,000 pics are indeed sucking
>pic related - one of the only pics of mine I actually like

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-GX1
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Elements 14.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.6
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)84 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width4592
Image Height3448
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:11:22 20:05:22
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating160
Lens Aperturef/6.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length42.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1200
Image Height901
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2727234
Borders are unnecessary when posting online. They add nothing to the photo

Watermarks are an acknowledgment that you think your photos are good enough to be stolen. Until someone actually steals your photo, don't worry about it.
>>
>>2727234

1. I hate borders, for many reasons, but do whatever you feel.

2. You probably just answered your own question. I think it detracts from the image and anybody who will steal it will either crop it out or edit it out. Maybe if it is shared without attribution and not edited/cropped out, but I've only looked up those photographers to make fun of them.
>>
Another way to look at is if any of the photographers you like do this stuff?

Daido doesn't even have borders in his PRINT work (at least in bye bye photography)
>>
>>2727234

borders are meme bullshit for plebs that havent ever printed their stuff (lolzines dont apply). they think this board is akin to a museum, its kinda cute.
>>
>>2727234
> Is it artistically "better" to leave off any sort of border whatsoever with your photos?
It's trying to emulate something physical, like a framed and/or matted print. "Fake" borders just look awful on a screen.

>"copyright 2015, photographer name" is all I am thinking of, not some big logo or cheesy byline.
It makes your images look pretty trashy. There are very few images (I'm struggling to think of any really) that I hold in high-esteem that have any kind of watermark. +99% of images that are watermarked are just like old white guy shit pics.

Adding "copyright XX" does nothing copyright-wise, you already have rights to the image regardless. The ONLY reason to watermark is for branding / name recognition purposes, and that can all be done with proper captioning / titles, wherever you choose to post it.
>>
File: par46330-web.jpg (188 KB, 1200x808) Image search: [Google]
par46330-web.jpg
188 KB, 1200x808
>>2727242
>>2727244
>>2727245
>>2727274
>borders
>>
File: 1450848622542.jpg (555 KB, 1160x771) Image search: [Google]
1450848622542.jpg
555 KB, 1160x771
>>2727393

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:12:22 21:32:47
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1160
Image Height771
>>
>>2727396
That's a great shot.

Some pretty incredible balance. Though I can't say I've ever tried to hold a baby like that with one hand.
>>
>>2727405
>Though I can't say I've ever tried to hold a baby like that with one hand.

He's actually throwing it. Decisive moment and all that.
>>
>>2727408
Ah. An excellent shot, then.

Thanks.
>>
>>2727408
The decisive moment would show him throwing the baby, not merely holding it. Also, that halo. Still not a bad photo, but decidedly not the decisive moment.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.