[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I took a photo on my iPhone 5S that I want to make into a 36x24'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (751 KB, 2003x1529) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
751 KB, 2003x1529
I took a photo on my iPhone 5S that I want to make into a 36x24' poster. The nice man at the store said it would look bad with the file size it is now. While I agree it won't be amazing... how bad is bad? Is there anyway to make this photo into a large picture? I had him make me a 8x10' just to see what I'm looking at, but it won't be ready until next week. Pic related.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 5s
Camera Software9.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:11:08 09:59:37
Exposure Time1/789 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating32
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness12.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.15 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2003
Image Height1529
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
8x10 is probably going to be as good as it gets.
It's already quite bad digitally. Are you using one of those zoom accessories? I didn't know they were *that* horrendous.
>>
>>2724623
Thanks for the advice. This photo was taken no zoom with my phone held into a pair of binoculars. I just cropped the photo on the phone. I might have even used to photo enhancer option. Really crappy circumstances for a photo but I love the shot. Maybe I just need to buy a real camera.
>>
>>2724613

bad enough that you'll try and try to get this poster made despite anyone and everyone saying that it'll look bad, and then when you actually get it you'll be disappointed and try to get your money back

i assume you mean inches instead of feet

a 36x24 will be over ten times the size of an 8x10
think about that for a bit
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
One of the originals, no editing.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 5s
Camera Software9.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationBottom, Right-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:11:08 09:59:01
Exposure Time1/855 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating32
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness12.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.15 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3264
Image Height2448
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2724627
Yeah, I meant inches. I'll just stick with the 8x10. You guys are all confirming what the man at the store said. Thank you though, I know very little about this kinda stuff.
>>
it can be saved by making it b&w.
>>
The printer can make a proof for you (a thin section of the photo) at the desired size so you can get a preview of what it will look like. Getting a proof done is usually a few dollars or even free, depending on the print shop.

Printing your low res shot out huge will look like shit though, guaranteed, as others have already explained.
>>
>>2724626
>maybe i just need to buy a real camera

Bingo.
>>
Yeah it'll look like shit close up but also consider where you want to place it and how far away you'll be viewing it from. A poster is pretty big, you probably won't be standing a few inches away from it staring at the tiny details like you might with a small print so it could still maybe look good enough.
>>
>>2724626
>maybe I just need to buy a real camera
With the condition you had there was nothing to do, maybe the iPhone was the best option. Then it has what, 8mp? The quality is high enough, you won't get the best poster but you'll get a poster with your picture in it and that's it. Keep in mind that bigger prints are supposed to be watched from a higher distance so you'll probably won't even notice the lack of details until you'll search for it. The image is not very detailed but to me it's a good shot and for you (again) it's your shot, if you like it print it. Don't listen to gearfags in here, i'm tired of all the consumerism in photography, we are literally surrounded by high quality cameras nowadays and still I have to hear daily irl people asking for the best gear
>>
>>2724785
Shut the fuck up. The image looks bad. A proper camera would have given him a better picture. A picture he could print on a poster.

Faced with a ruined picture that would have been great with better gear (not even expensive gear, just non-shit gear), and you gear-doesn't-matter-fags still spew your bullshit.
>>
>>2724785

This is terrible advice. You obviously have little to no experience making prints.

In order for this poster to look good you'd have to hang it in your neighbor's house and look at it through your window.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.