[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Canon Powershot G11 vs. iPhone 5
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_0127jpg.jpg (2 MB, 3676x2752) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0127jpg.jpg
2 MB, 3676x2752
Is the Canon Powershot G11 any better than an iPhone 5 camera?

I just bought the Canon Powershot, and have been editing photos with GIMP. It doesn't really seem like it's that much higher quality than my iPhone. Am I just not utilizing this thing the right way?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot G11
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.16
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Lens Size6.10 - 30.50 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.00
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:12:15 21:38:33
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
ISO Speed Rating80
Lens Aperturef/7.1
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length6.10 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeCenter-Weighted
SharpnessNormal
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeSingle
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingUnknown
Macro ModeNormal
Subject Distance4.250 m
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed149
Image Number101-0127
>>
>G11

thats an oldass camera. get a newer one.
>>
>>2724394
Okay, so the pictures are just going to be lame and that's the end of it?
>>
>>2724656

Nah, it looks like you're doing something wrong.

Keep in mind that in broad daylight with a bright blue sky, most cameras are going to take photos that are indistinguishable from one another, from a sony a7mk2 all the way down to an iphone.

Shoot in more diverse, challenging conditions and you'll see an improvement.

You did buy an old-ass camera, though. I hope you didn't spend more than 50 bucks.
>>
>>2724657

Oh, and I'll qualify the above statement by saying

>most cameras are going to take photos that are indistinguishable from one another

at web sizes. 100% is obviously a different story.
>>
>>2724657
I got it for $150. My friend who is a professional photographer suggested it as an upgrade from my iphone. He said just editing with GIMP would be a good start into photography.

I'm basically just doing this for instagram/flickr. A lot of hiking and cityscape photos.

>>2724657
Do you know what I'm doing wrong? I shoot on the manual setting (raw) and turn the shutter speed, aperture and ISO down low to increase the sharpness.
>>
>>2724683
get off manual mode and just turn the dial to "A" until you do some reading and learn about shutter speed, aperture, and ISO....
>>
>>2724683
>I shoot on the manual setting (raw) and turn the shutter speed, aperture and ISO down low to increase the sharpness.

l e l
>>
>>2724739
Fuck off, I'm a newb. I just found this article and it looks pretty decent.

Can anyone confirm if this is solid

https://photographylife.com/iso-shutter-speed-and-aperture-for-beginners
>>
>>2724740
Can't really be wrong. Have you read the manual to your camera? There's usually some pretty easy to follow instructions in there, about the basics.

For optimum sharpness on APS-C or full frame:
Lowest ISO you can get without a bad exposure
Fastest shutter speed you can get (or a tripod)
Aperture between f/4 and f/8
>>
Probably the image quality is a bit better but the iphone focuses faster
>>
>>2724740
the article is solid, but it doesn't seem like you really understand it.
>>2724742
>lowest ISO
not under 100. in the OP's pic, he used an ISO80, which is most likely an artificial, ISO100 toned 1/3 of a stop down.
>>
I give this to every newb
>>
>>2724765
can't read shit faglord.
and from what I can make out, at least the histogram part is going to make more disasters than anything.
and beginners generally only have one camera, crop factor doesn't matter.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.