[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Leica Hate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7
Why does /p/ hate leicas?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeRICOH
Camera ModelGR DIGITAL 3
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.9
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width3648
Image Height2736
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2012:11:12 23:09:47
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/1.9
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating154
Lens Aperturef/1.9
Brightness0.7 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length6.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width620
Image Height473
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2724370
Same reason /g/ hates Apple. Not saying it's right or wrong but the mentality is the same
>>
>>2724370
It's not the camera, it is their owners.
Worst circlejerking collective in the photography world.
>>
I dislike them because they're on some weird pedestal that I never understood. You can do street photography with ANY camera. Leicas and rangefinders don't offer any kind of advantage. It is gear whoring at its finest.
>>
File: DSC_0432.jpg (442 KB, 1125x1500) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0432.jpg
442 KB, 1125x1500
I think they're excellent cameras and great fun to shoot but I also think it's just a goddamn camera, not a lifestyle or a religion or whatever. I don't see why people get so worked up about them.

Also I certainly wouldn't buy a digital one, much less a digital M. The rangefinder is a god damn dinosaur and has no business being brought into the digital era as a painful clunky toy. The only one that's even come close to interesting me is the Q, but I don't really see much point in it since that would basically just amount to super-sizing my GR for 4 grand.

Equipment MakeSony
Camera ModelD6503
Camera Software17.1.2.A.0.314_9_f300
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:12:18 00:23:42
Exposure Time1/32 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
ISO Speed Rating160
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length4.90 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1125
Image Height1500
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: 2510407332_184941e6c8_o.jpg (1 MB, 3724x2548) Image search: [Google]
2510407332_184941e6c8_o.jpg
1 MB, 3724x2548
>>2724371
this^

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D200
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2008:05:19 01:42:47
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias-1/3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFlash
FlashFlash, Return Not Detected
Focal Length35.00 mm
Image Width3724
Image Height2548
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlNone
ContrastHard
SaturationLow
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2724370
The cameras are fine machines. Lots of circlejerking but avoiding it is easy.
>>
>>2724377
i find the IQ, color, sharpness better on my m9 and MM better than my d800.
>>
>>2724370
jews.
/p/ is /pol/
>>
>>2724382
Oil on your sensor can cause lots of IQ degradation.
>>
>>2724382
I forgot about the MM, that one is neat too but mostly just because no other manufacturer has the balls to make a proper black and white camera.

I just don't like the combination of rangefinder and digital, I guess. With the digital Ms they try to be all purist and stripped down like the film cameras, but I just feel like digital inherently is best suited to a slick modern camera with molded ergonomic rubbery grips and autofocus and autoexposure and lots of buttons and stuff. The design philosophy of a simple pared down metal brick with a couple of knobs and a couple of buttons on it is great for a film camera but it sort of falls apart and becomes really clunky on a digital camera. But I guess maybe it's all because I fall into the M3 sect of Leica instead of the M6 sect.
>>
Their owners are either clueless hipsters, tasteless nouveau riche chinks, or ancient photography fudds who spend more time polishing their leicas than putting them to use.
>>
>>2724390

>I'm an unpopular, poor racist.

Makes sense.
>>
>>2724392

spot on, sport
>>
I have an M8. Kinda the shittiest Leica to have, but I think it really improved my photography. You really have to work harder for shots. ISO 640 and up is practically unusable, nothing is "Auto", but getting a good picture feels so much more rewarding for me.
But i'm getting close to sounding like a Leica douche, so I'll quit while i'm ahead.
>>
>>2724392
You are? You'II fit in great on /p/ then!

For a few minutes at Ieast.

>>2724381
This anon is right. You have to ignore the shitty users (aII of them basicaIIy) and enjoy it for yourseIf. Chinks just get them cheap used because

>no beenis
>>
File: _1060918.jpg (93 KB, 589x442) Image search: [Google]
_1060918.jpg
93 KB, 589x442
>>2724370
Because some people honestly believe a little red sticker on a Panasonic camera really does make it worth 10 times more money and there's nothing retarded about buying that.

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-GX8
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/10.0
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/10.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFine Weather
FlashFlash
Focal Length45.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
>>2724370
Because insecure poorfags gonna fag.
>>
>>2724370
Because the majority of /p/ are poorfags who have too big of an ego to admit it.
>>
>tfw own Leica
>tfw spend more time shooting with other film SLR's
I don't hate the results even, I just prefer to use other cameras.
The "small & lightweight" camera you take everywhere is a total lie though when the body is close to 700g.
>>
>>2724382
>mm

I wish I had the money for such a niche camera. It's probably the only Leica camera I've ever lusted after
>>
Not wrong with the cameras, just with the wankers who use them.
>>
>tfw you will never dismember Eric Kim

why live?
>>
>>2724370

Because /p/ is about photography, not fashion accessories and status symbols.
>>
The Leica SL is an abomination.

But if someone gifted me a bunch of Leica lenses, I'd happily use them.
>>
Leicas are like macs. Overpriced, nothing too special about them and they're only "alive" because of the community. People dislike Leica because how overly exaggerated their prices are.
>>
File: pS85ZM8.jpg (123 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pS85ZM8.jpg
123 KB, 640x480
Because /p/ is full of beginners/amateurs who tend to be completely obsessed with gadgets and technology instead of spending any time learning about photography as an art form.

They lock themselves into a faulty logic of thinking that good photography comes from gadgets rather than the skill of the photographer. This is why beginners buy and sell equipment in cycles searching for the magic silver bullet that'll make good pictures for them (yet all the while never actually taking pics - just posting lens test images online and taking snapshots of family pets).

To these gadget obsessed idiots a Leica looks terrible compared to whatever silver bullet they think is the latest must have gadget. They judge everything in inane parameters like high ISO noise as if it's the only thing that matters.

Because they have no expertise in a specific area they think in very general terms and tend to obsess over multi-purpose cameras like dSLRs. They've no experience of using niche gear like rangefinders, MF, LF, for very specific purposes. They hate on Leica because it's something they know a little bit about... but they say nothing about even more expensive and niche items like MF and LF because they're utterly fucking clueless about them.

I've spent way more on LF gear than I ever have on Leica stuff and it's way more niche and limited. No LF haters on /p/ though because they couldn't tell the front of a view camera from the back and there's no easy way to compare a dSLR to it for pixelpeeping bullshit.

Cameras are tools. They just do a fucking job - that's it. It's the end result that matters and if a Leica is that tool that works best to get you there then just use it. If a holga works then use that.
>>
>>2725263
MF is more expensive than a leica? Bullshit
>>
Digital MF is much more expensive than digital M series.

Plenty of used MF rangefinders are more costly used than used film M cameras.

Regardless, you entirely missed the point.
>>
I've had a M3 for a short while, great camera, summicron DR is excellent, but it had little use. If I had money to spare, I'd buy a MP or M3 again, for family pics, traveling and such.

One great thing about is that the negatives were way sharper than I expected to be handheld, when compared to slr, but this could be said of any mirrorless camera.

>inb4 shaky hands
A friend of mine, very experienced photographer noticed the same; and even Sandy King has made comments on the matter.
>>
>>2725263
/thread
>>
>>2724371
Because their users are insufferable and their reasoning for buying one is more about being tricked by the marketing?
>>
I don't hate Leicas but they don't offer anything more than a camera that is a fraction of the price.
>>
>>2724375
>You can do street photography with ANY camera. Leicas and rangefinders don't offer any kind of advantage.

RF cameras are smaller, unobtrusive, and unassuming for the quality they give. They are also really quiet which is important. Many of the advantages of TTL viewing are lost when all you use is primes in the range of 28-50mm, and the RF focusing really is a nice way to reliably manual focus which is useful in street when you tend to set everything in the camera up first so you can shoot quickly.

You can do street photography with any camera, but you can do almost any kind of photography with any camera. Walking around with a big DSLR and it's mirror clacking all the time is not the best way to shoot street, just like using a RF with a 28 mm lens is not good for shooting wildlife. People freeze up in front of DSLRs while they tend not to notice RF's and similarly styled mirrorless camera's.
>>
>>2725494
>smaller, unobtrusive, and unassuming
Makes you look like a sneaky pervert who will plaster pictures all over the internet. Remember, the vast majority of people don't know the difference between an expensive Leica and a cheap perv and shoot. This "smaller is better for street" is just bullshit sales patter. It's not the size of the camera that attracts attention its the act of putting something in front of your face.

>They are also really quiet which is important
Rubbish. By the time they hear the click the picture is already taken

> reliably manual focus
ahahaha you mean guarantee a high ratio of missed shots. Trying manual focus on a constantly shifting scene is dumb to the nth degree ... though it's probably faster than a Sorry A7
>>
>>2725513
>Makes you look like a sneaky pervert who will plaster pictures all over the internet.

No, this is exactly the feeling DSLR's give. Smaller is better, people will still notice but they do give a less intimidating feel. People tend to ignore. DSLR's have a commercial vibe and people think their photo's will be used to make money or to get plastered on someone's promotional site way more often.

>Rubbish. By the time they hear the click the picture is already taken

The sound is the difference between someone not giving a fuck and not knowing you even took a picture and HEY DID YOU JUST TAKE MY PICTURE DELETE THAT.

>ahahaha you mean guarantee a high ratio of missed shots.

ahahaha not really. Unless you are shooting wide open zone focusing will rarely miss you a shot since you should have somewhat of an idea for the zone you are looking for in the first place. The only thing you should really need to do is compose and click. All the other shit should be set up. If you need to change, RF is a quick and easy way to do it. There's a reason f/8 and zone focus has been a staple of street photography for ages, it's easy and reliable. You want a great way to miss shots? Use autofocus on a hectic street scene.

DSLR's are simply not the right tools for street. You can use them, but you're going to get worse results, hassle more, and absolutely get more negative reactions. Why are DSLR users so butthurt about the fact that there are other types of cameras in the world that are actually better at a few things.
>>
>>2725534
>HEY DID YOU JUST TAKE MY PICTURE DELETE THAT
hahahah this has nothing to do with the camera. If you spent as much time out on the street as you do reading Eric Kim you would know that it is more about how you carry yourself. Act like a creep and people will believe you.

>HEY DID YOU JUST TAKE MY PICTURE DELETE THAT
Huh, 'Muricans. Twats who see their government bullying other countries around and think that they can do the same to other people on the street. Or Britbongs who are trying to copy 'Muricans.

The correct response is:
I ALREADY DELETED IT YOU UGLY GIT NOW GET OUT MY FUCKING PICTURE BEFORE I CALL THE COPS ON YOU FOR HARASSMENT.
>>
>>2725494
people freeze around cell phones.

People actually look at me when Im shooting with my A77 or 5D.

RFs are dinosaurs bruh
>>
>>2725263
I find that the people with leicas are more obsessed with gear than the average /p/ user.

Rangefinders and MF are not niche. I have them and they are pretty common among film photographers which there are a lot of on /p/. Leicas are not niche either, they are very abundant but pricey. Also if you think there is no LF haters on /p/ you have never seen a LF thread on /p/.

The only thing I figured out from your post is that you know absolutely nothing about /p/.
>>
>>2725513
>Makes you look like a sneaky pervert who will plaster pictures all over the internet.

Fuck off. Nothing's worse than a new "street photographer" posting for their Tumblr with telephoto DSLRs. I've seen so many arguments on the street because of the way they shoot (hiding away with a long lens and hope no one sees them but they're so clearly visible).
>>
>>2724423
Are Leica cameras normally as expensive as this SL?

Because goddamn, that kind of price will scare away people.
>>
>>2724423
the SL is a fucking clown camera.
>>
>>2724371
this, its all perceived value. those who get Leicas are usually egomaniacs, and its the same for Macs. Although I'm more likely to forgive mac buyers just out of ignorance. I owned a Leica M6 for almost a year and the novelty ran out after the first couple of months.
>>
>>2724370
Circlejerking is 1000 times more fun than the solo masturbation that is auto focus.
>>
>>2725616
I think owning a Mac is more of a Monkey imitation syndrome at this point.

It reached critical mass, and now students buy them because they see other students buy them.
>>
>>2725287
I got an c330 plus 65, 80 and 105 for 500euros. Wouldn't even buy me a decent Leica© body
Yasiscamats 100-150 Euros
I think leicas are pure sex, just not comfortable doing street/urbex/fucked photography with a camera that's worth a months wage.
>>
>>2725587
>hiding away with a long lens and hope no one sees them but they're so clearly visible

as opposed to hiding away with a short lens on a glorified perv and shoot?

Anybody who "hides away" in doorways or minces along trying to sneak pictures of people without them noticing, no matter what camera they have, is the very definition of a creep.

Stand up straight, face the crowd and be proud of what you do. Use the most capable camera available to you (no, that ain't a Leica). After all it's the picture that matters not the number of knobs you had to twiddle to get it, right, RIGHT!

Oh, sorry I forgot, you're more interested in the pose than you are the picture
>>
>>2725717
who the fuck do you think you are with all prejudgement?
>>
>>2725651
>now students buy them because they see other students buy them.
>at this point.
>now

nigger, it's been like that for 15 fucking years, and that's just for macbooks.
>>
>>2725592
Bait
>>
is Leica the /p/ equivalent of Apple for /g/ ?
What would be the /p/ equivalent of the /g/ 's thinkpad?
>>
File: AB023-2 (Custom).jpg (362 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
AB023-2 (Custom).jpg
362 KB, 1000x666
Rangefinders in eneral let you manually focus easily and without delay like a by-wire camera like an X100,and more reliably than a DSLR lens's crummy distance scale. Fast autofocus is nice, but it's nicer to focus before pointing the camera at a subject.

Does anybody else here know what I mean? Like seeing someone approaching and thinking "okay, when that guy gets to where I want him in the scene, he'll be at 2 meters," turning the focus ring to 2 meters by feel, and then framing/taking the shot in one motion?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.3 (Windows)
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2014:08:29 14:43:49
>>
>>2728265
On rangefinders? Voigtlanders for sure.
But /p/ being /p/, it has to be an dlsr, and I guess it would be Pentax k3 ii.
>>
>>2728265
>What would be the /p/ equivalent of the /g/ 's thinkpad?
A6000 or

R I C O H G R
I
C
O
H

G
R
>>
>>2728315
How does Leica dlsr compares to their concurrents?
Do you pay mostly the name and design of you happen to buy a Leica? At equal performance and in a pricerange inferior than what Leica offers, how does the built quality of the concurrent is doing?
>>
>>2725263
>he never used a leica
>>
>doing street photography with anything other than the Olympus XA
>>
>>2728265

pentax k3
>>
>>2728317
Definitely the GR.
>>
>>2729117
>m4/3
Might as well use a smartphone.
>>
>>2729153
>Lolympus XA
>m4/3

Not sure if serious
>>
>>2729153

Lol its 35mm film numb nutz, a great lil compact rangefinder too
>>
>>2725704

Tell me more about your "fucked photography," Anon.
>>
File: IMG_0754.jpg (3 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0754.jpg
3 MB, 3456x2304
>>2728301
>Does anybody else here know what I mean?

Yeah, I always have to work to keep the sidewalk in focus if I'm riding as a passenger.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Firmware VersionFirmware 1.0.3
Owner Nameunknown
Serial Number0420209152
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2004:10:09 01:21:14
Exposure Time1/800 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/inf
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length0.00 mm
Image Width3456
Image Height2304
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
SharpnessNormal
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeManual
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceCloudy
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Camera Actuations-1748893454
Color Matrix0
>>
>>2724373

THIS. I actually enjoy shooting my Leicas, other than the occasional existential dread of running into one of those Leicafags, as they are completely fucking insufferable.

Most Leica owners are no more competent photographers than most Porsche owners are competent drivers. They are poseurs hoping someone mistakes them for being competent.

The cameras are actually completely fun.
Also, while rangefinders are a very specialized tool with advantages only in fairly narrow use, the rangefinder is not useless by a longshot. It still has advantages for certain kinds of shooting, ones that cannot be duplicated with an SLR
>>
>>2724377

Damn, your M3 serial is only like 600 or so off of mine.
I love that number range as all the technical improvements were implemented by then, but the fanboi morons only know to look for 'over one million'. So, all the functions and no collector price gouging premium for a high number. Best of both worlds.

Welcome to the "your M3 serial its not over 1,000,000 so it ain't shit" club, mate!
>>
Leica have an extremely premium feel that I have never felt in any other digital camera system, the clicks of the aperture ring, the buttery smooth focus, the design it is all great, I love Leicas after I tried one in a store. But Leica CANNOT justify the cost of the damn things, theres is no reason for it especially when it uses a focusing system that can cause loads of error because of parallax effects, yes I can just learn to compensate, but when I'm shooting the only thing I need to be concern about is composing and getting the image, not fiddling with Parallax error and manual focus, yes photographers in the past have overcome these variables, but what matters is getting the shot.
>>
>>2729864

So... Leica's are good, but too expensive because you can't into parallax?
>>
>>2729866
>
Sure,I could overcome it, but photography is about getting the image, not having to worry about variables, theres a reason why photography is so technology driven, if it were truly better we would have gone with SLRs
>>
>>2724370
>why does /p/ hate leicas?

maybe because of their shit build quality and complete shit lenses
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.