[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the hell can't I get the film to consistently spool
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: JOBO.jpg (69 KB, 1000x482) Image search: [Google]
JOBO.jpg
69 KB, 1000x482
Why the hell can't I get the film to consistently spool on the roll? I'm using pic related and 35mm film.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height482
>>
>>2723265

because youre a retard.
>>
try cutting the anterior edges of the film in a 45° angle. make sure to only cut a small part away and do NOT cut into the sprockets. It's a little hard to do in the dark, but you get used to it.
>>
Because you're bad at it and plastic reels are trash. Buy a stainless Hewes reel and practice with it a few times and that will fix both issues.
>>
>>2723271
How do you not cut into the sprockets? And how big is the mitre?
>>
You do know that by turning each side of the plastic spool at different times it sucks the film in right
>>
>>2723275
The issue is when the film reaches each one of the cross-bars it catches
>>
>>2723273
You feel it and you here it while cutting. Once you managed to cut the lever in a straight line not cutting into any sprockets, you feel where sprocket is and lay your thumb on it with just a small corner looking out under your thumbnail (pinch with other hand). Then slowly cut along your thumbnail and you get the perfect cut to spool your film onto the reel.
>>
i read once that the plastic spools get jammed because residue from the chemistry builds up on the plastic and bearings making it hard for the film to slide. a bit of hard scrubbing from a toothbrush to clean the spool is supposed to help.
>>
>>2723290
clean your stuff as soon as your work is done and you won't run into that problem. You wouldn't use your lenses with fingerprints all over them as well.
When shooting film and developing it on your own, your development kit is part of the gear and you should treat it accordingly.

>>2723272
What's the great advantage of the stainless steel reels and tanks over the plastic ones? never used one.
>>
>>2723290
final wash is the biggest cause of this, so use only as much as you need and clean your equipment when you are done
>>
This thread brings me back to high school
>>
>>2723296
Stainless reels don't have any moving parts and are easier to clean thoroughly so they don't get caked in shit from the chemicals. They're just a lot more reliable in my opinion, a plastic reel might mess up and chew up your film but if a stainless reel chews up your film it's entirely your own fault.
>>
>>2723300
ah, okay. I thought it was something about temperature like at cocktail shakers. Never had any issues with the plastik reel.
>>
>>2723276
I used to often have issues with the film catching partway through (very irritating when you only have a few inches left) but found that shaking/knocking the reel when it happens almost always solves the problem.
>>
I've had problems with reels that aren't bone dry, otherwise easy-peasy
>>
the spool should be bone-dry, otherwise the film will stick at some point

the video below is a very good and quick demo on how to use it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py0APGTrJGs
>>
>>2723271
>film leader retriever.
>>
>>2724045
When I shoot a roll, I make sure I don't spool the film completely into the canister.
I often develop films for friends and they almost always spool it in completely. In that case I crack the canister open in the dark, take the film out and then cut it. Got used to it.. just finished a tri-x for a friend.
>>
File: HALP.jpg (62 KB, 320x318) Image search: [Google]
HALP.jpg
62 KB, 320x318
I started dev with a Paterson tank and reel but I've had a lot of issues with them, someone suggested removing the ball-bearing can help. I've seen suggestions to cut the film leader at an angle and to clean the reels thoroughly and only use them when dry which I've all done.
The reels will still jam and one reel in particular for me jams when 75% of a roll is wound.

I switched to steel tank/reels for 35mm and I got a standard reel. I have some trouble at the first stage trying to hold the film to spin it round.
I've seen a lot of recommendations for Hewes reels and I've searched for videos and looked at the site but I can't 100% confirm that it'll solve my problem.
If anyone owns a 35mm Hewes reel, can you confirm if the film stays in the reel at the start? It's really troublesome for me to hold it in place while turning (I've already dislocated my wrist doing this in a changing bag).
>>2723300
>a plastic reel might mess up and chew up your film but if a stainless reel chews up your film it's entirely your own fault.
I have hypermobility in my hands, wrists, fingers and shoulders and I can absolutely guarantee that the second statement is not 100% true. I trashed a few practice strips trying this in daylight. Not everyone is fully able to use these.
>>2724175
I do this too. It's really helpful, you can almost always hear the film pop out of the spool when rewinding. You're fucked if it's a motor camera tho.
>>
>>2726129
>I can absolutely guarantee that the second statement is not 100% true. I trashed a few practice strips trying this in daylight. Not everyone is fully able to use these.

So the second statement is true...
>>
>>2726132
>People with disabilities only have themselves to blame if they can't complete the same tasks as others.
Totally their own fault desu
>>
>>2723265
Git gud fgt
>>
>>2726129

I've only rolled steel reels with test film in the light, as I was never confident enough to do it in the dark.

The first loop or so is the hardest. The actual hewes ones the film stays in pretty easy. Some of the shitty ones with weird clips can be a little wonky, though.
>>
>>2726129
>someone suggested removing the ball-bearing can help

If you removed the ball bearings, it wouldn't pull the film in when you twist, so how would you load it? Push it all the way in?
>>
>>2726279
Wat
That's not how mine work. My bearings just sit there. They don't "pull" anything.
>>
>>2726129
>>2726170
My steel reels are LPL brand, it's got little teeth for the sprocket holes.
Do yours not have that?
The 120 reels have a clip as well.
>>2726129
You just seem like a fucked retard.

My reason for switching to steel was to eliminate the little undeveloped patches I always almost seem to get along the edges of the film, and also to stop 120 film snagging.
I've managed to butcher a few rolls with creases and scratches, and those issues are exascerbated by me often using oooold film, which tends to have its curl set very tight after 20 or so years on the spool.
>>
Just use metal reels. If you don't drop them, they'll last a lifetime.
>>
File: disgust.jpg (257 KB, 1000x629) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
257 KB, 1000x629
>>2726279
I have 3 Paterson reels so it wasn't really an issue to remove it. You have to push it onto the reel itself but it's pretty much the same thing. It would work for me if I had the full range of movement available.

>>2726286
Thanks for quoting me twice senpai. Also thanks for clarifying that you don't understand what a physiological disability is.
>My steel reels are LPL brand, it's got little teeth for the sprocket holes.
>Do yours not have that?
No, my reel doesn't have sprocket holes. My butchering the roll with a crease or a scratch comes from a muscle spasm or my finger not being able to turn thanks to hyper extension. That's why I wanted to know about the Hewes reels before picking them up.
>>2726170
Thanks, I'll probably pick one up soon and give it a try.

Equipment MakeSEIKO EPSON CORP.
Camera ModelEPSON scanner
Camera SoftwareEPSON Scan
Horizontal Resolution6400 dpi
Vertical Resolution6400 dpi
Image Created2015-12-21T20:35:10
>>
>>2726279
almost worked for me recently. Only had to twist for about 6 exposures.. rest went in by just pushing it.

>>2726286
I need to get one.. the patterson reels are a pain in the ass at 120 film.
>>
>>2726284
Look at your reels more carefully. When you twist in one direction the ball bearings will be caught in the narrow end of their channel & push down on the film, gripping it via the sprocket holes. When you twist in the other direction the ball bearings will move to the wider end of their channel, no longer gripping the film & moving past it, so they grip the film ~5mm further up the next time you twist the other way.

At least that's how it works in theory. In practise the bearings can quickly get dirty enough that they just stick in one position & I recently bought a new reel that was so loose it wouldn't grip at all.

>>2726309
Okay, I can imagine that. I might try it with an old reel.
>>
>>2726309
One thing shitty about the steel reels though, the 120's can't take 220 as well.
So I guess I'm back to fucking paterson tanks for those.
>trying to get a meter and a half of phat film onto that plastic garbage
>kill me now
>>
File: 1450290270720.jpg (91 KB, 1000x482) Image search: [Google]
1450290270720.jpg
91 KB, 1000x482
shit's broke nigga

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height482
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.