[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Camera for rugged trip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: sony-a6000-handson-lampa.jpg (121 KB, 1200x939) Image search: [Google]
sony-a6000-handson-lampa.jpg
121 KB, 1200x939
Hey /p/, going on a fairly long trip through some rugged terrain and rugged activities (a bit of mountain climbing, etc.) and I'm looking for a camera to take with me. I've come up with a few requirements, and I think I have a camera that fills them, but I'm pretty new into the beyond point-and-shoot/cell phone picture taking and post-editing.

This is what I'm looking at:

-First and foremost, small (looking for pretty much as small as I can get because I need space for many other things and I want to be able to carry it in non-dedicated bags/cases)
-Able to change lenses for versatility and future proofing (specific lenses for more photography)
-Superb photo quality and resolution
-Rugged construction and/or good protective accessories
-Somewhere <600-800 dollars

Been looking at the Sony A6000. From the reviews I've read and based off the specs, it seems to fit what I'm looking for pretty well, but what do y'all think /p/? Is there anything better all-around?

I am amenable to a point-and-shoot despite what I've said, but not something mediocre and lacking in features (or shoots about as a well as a f/2 phone camera).
>>
>>2722705
Get a used em5. They are like $200 used rn, weather proof and the lenses are small and light. It's only slightly worse at high iso than the newer cameras
>>
>>2722705
Hi OP, maybe you could consider the Olympus TG-4 (25-100mm lens but you can add to it an optional tele/fisheye/waterproof wide angle)...about 350$ (275$ used)
>>
>>2722724
Seconded. em5 user here (got it when it came out for like $1,100. ugh)

It's a fantastic camera. It's small, solidly built, takes great pictures, weatherproof (make sure you use weatherproof lenses too), and you can customize it to pretty much any shooting style. Sometimes I use it as a light, quick, automatic beast. Sometimes I flip the screen, add the grip, and go full manual to use it like a slow paced waist level MF camera (I really wish it let you flip the image along the vertical axis like a real waist level vf). IQ is great up through 1600, or 3200 if you don't mind a little noise that you can easily remove anyway.

If you can actually get one for $200 I wouldn't hesitate. It's beyond worth that.
>>
>>2722724
>>2722753
Yeah, it's amazing how much the price has dropped, isn't it? $200 for a perfectly fine working E-M5 is a steal.
>>
File: 1412213671369.png (241 KB, 435x431) Image search: [Google]
1412213671369.png
241 KB, 435x431
>>2722705
just get the a6000
>>
The A6000 fit the bill except for rugged construction with/or good protective accessories.
It's pretty strong for conventional shooting conditions, but your locales might see moisture and dirt and dust.
Body and most E-Mount lenses can't take it. And no good cases too.
Maybe adapt other mount lenses because E-Mount is magic, but still leaves issue of vulnerable body.
>>
>>2722890

Any good suggestions? From what I've read is that the EM5 isn't actually IP6 (or any other) rated for waterproofing and is just splash/dust proof.

Moondust (super, super-fine sand) is definitely going to be a thing in of the locations.
>>
>>2722896

IPX rated I mean
>>
Just get an old rebel or 7D off eBay and beat the shit out of it, you'll get better shots.

I literally have a shelf of nifty fiftys just to destroy if I need to. Having gear you don't give a shit about is really liberating and your photography changes a lot.
>>
>>2722890
Don't forget the shitty EVF.
>>
>>2722901
this

took my 7d on a trip to brazil, took it to a waterfall where it got absolutely soaked and the camera was fine

7d is basically one of the toughest cameras out there, take that shit into a war zone im sure itll survive
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.