[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pro-level DSLRs may not have scene modes, but they all have auto
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: sysadminotaur-039-Camera.png (924 KB, 1600x1060) Image search: [Google]
sysadminotaur-039-Camera.png
924 KB, 1600x1060
Pro-level DSLRs may not have scene modes, but they all have auto mode. Does auto mode have its uses, or is it degenerate?
>>
>>2722359
for when your folks want to take a family picture with your fancy camera.
>>
Because with a good enough camera/lens you can just shoot auto and post process

composition and finding something interesting to shoot matters far more than if you use manual or auto
>>
>>2722374
kind of true, kind of not. auto exposure will probably not be an issue especially in decent lighting, aperture will be more of the issue. it's way better to just use A, 100 iso and exposure compensation in decent light. in poor light auto ISO is fine. assuming no tripod. completely different with tri ofc.
>>
>>2722359
>but they all have auto mode
No
>>
>>2722359
pro level DSLRs do not have auto mode...
>>
>>2722397
which one doesnt?
honest question.
>>
>>2722399
All over pro cameras. Program and auto is not the same.
>>
>>2722401
>all *the* pro
>>
>>2722399
The 1Dx. The D4s. All of the Pro-level DSLRs.
>>
since were on a stupid questions thread

whats a "pro-level camera"
>>
>>2722408
A camera without an auto-mode.
>>
>>2722408
see
>>2722405

Below that are 5D, D810, D750, which are "semi pro" and below that are "enthusiast" or "entry level"

Or, since you said pro level CAMERA, rather than pro level DSLR, digital medium format, large format view cameras, etc. For full time studios putting out quality work, a 1Dx is sort of the bottom rung.
>>
>>2722410
top kek
>>
>>2722359
>Does auto mode have its uses, or is it degenerate?

Fuck off back to /pol with your degenerate memes
>>
>>2722359
I use it when I'm high/drunk/not the person holding the camera

that's all there is to say on the matter
>>
>>2722359
They don't have auto modes.

They have semi-auto modes like P, A/Av, and S/Tv.

Some butthurt purists get upset at the use of something like aperture priority and claim it's not full-manual patrician mode, so maybe they made this comic just to bash on people who don't shoot in "M" all the time (even though it's completely unnecessary)
>>
>>2722555
>A masterrace reporting in
>>
File: 1448241675921.jpg (59 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1448241675921.jpg
59 KB, 540x720
I stay in Manual but have my green button on the back set to program. So if i don't have time to meter and adjust something i just hit the "retard" exposure button and get the pic.
>>
Ive heard from some guys at the photo shop I work at that with the increasing complexity of digital cameras that the scene modes are becoming the preferred way to shoot. They say you can possibly change all this shit fast enough, so you're always either missing the shot, or not using all of the functions of the camera.
>>
>>2722902
cameras are not any more complex to operate now than they were 15 years ago. It's still shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and AF.

In your down time, you can tweak and customize your AF system, but it's not something you're doing mid-shoot. Other than that, they're full of shit.
>>
>scene modes
>auto
kek. It's pretty much aperture priority for the vast majority, shutter when you want to convey motion, and manual for the certain times where you need extra control
>>
File: wtf.png (123 KB, 603x567) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
123 KB, 603x567
Damn... I've been shooting with a 5D3 for almost a year already and never noticed this shit.
>>
>>2722360
This pretty much. P mode would be the "auto" for someone who actually owns the camera. The dummy auto mode might have some use when strangers dont know how to operate your backbutton focus. Still, if the stranger was taking a picture of me I wouldnt want the dummy auto mode to decide to pop the flash up. It would probably be most effective to set a custom profile to use when handing your camera to strangers. In that case, I really cant think of an actual use for the dummy A auto mode.
>>
>>2722410
This guy wins the thread.
>>
>>2722398
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Canon_EOS_digital_cameras

I have a 7D, page above says "professional DSLR", and it has green auto mode.

5D also has green box mode, also "professional". No idea about the 1D.
>>
>>2722555
What kind of hyperautist actually uses M mode all the time? The only time M mode actually works is when you're sitting still and have no time constraints..
>>
>>2722983
The same logic could be applied to Manual transmissions in automibiles.
>>
>>2722985
Proceed
>>
>>2722985
No it can't lol. Nigga you dumb.
>>
>>2722985
...if it was possible to have a car where you could switch between automatic and manual in half a second. Then we were arguing about which mode to use, and I said that I like switching to auto in stop-and-go traffic, and you autism'd out about how you only use manual all the time.
>>
>>2722983
Hey, I do. It's not that hard. I change ISO whenever the lighting in the room changes, and change shutterspeed/aperture depending on the shot. I just know what settings are on my camera at a time. Only times I ever have to do any drastic (2+ stops) editing of an exposure is when the shot is a total Hail Mary because something cool happened further away than my flash was set for.
>>
>>2722996
this desu

I find it easier to use M than mess around with EV on Aperture or Shutter Priority modes
>>
They lose basically no customers by having it but are also able to sell to rich people who'd produce the same shots with a compact.
>>
>>2722359
>all these niggas thinking P isn't A.

P is full auto.

A/S are the only semi auto modes.
>>
>>2723194
/p/ isn't full auto at all, as you still have complete control, and also retain access to raw format.

You just don't know how to use your camera.
>>
>>2723194
Bullshit.
Full Auto mode does shit like lock you out of Exp. Comp., automatically pops the flash, and all kinds of shit. P mode is also easily forced into a pseudo-A/S mode using the control wheels, at least on my D700 and D800.

This thread is retarded.
>>
>>2723197
>>2723198
Daww, butthurt babies crying about the truth.
P selects all triangle settings. You can change them, but that doesn't mean that P didn't select them first.
In A you have to choose an aperture.
In S you have to choose a shutter speed.

P is full auto.

Also, what kind of trash shit do you shoot that locks out raw in A?
>>
>>2722985
People drive in manual because they find it more fun, more engaging and that they have more control.

People might find the M setting on a camera enjoyable for the same reason; the problem is that if you're an environment where the light/exposure is constantly changing, it doesn't always "make sense". For that reason some people can't be bothered constantly spinning dials - or shifting gears, in the cause of an automobile.

For the record, I shoot in Aperture Priority 95% of the time. Not because I don't understand exposure or am lazy, but because I find that while my desired aperture tends to remain very consistent (somewhere above f/5.6), the shutter speed is usually rather inconsequential. If I need the shutter speed to be faster, I just raise the ISO, without changing the aperture, because I generally don't like shooting too wide open.
>>
>>2723203
>In A you have to choose an aperture.
>In S you have to choose a shutter speed.
No you don't. The camera will start at whatever value you had it at last (or a default value) and you can fire away without any input at all. Sounds like if P mode is full auto, by that definition, then A and S are full auto too.
>>
>>2723204
>People might find the M setting on a camera enjoyable for the same reason
A camera, and its settings, are tools. Using the wrong wrench because you enjoy it is fine if you're a pipe-wrench enthusiast, but anyone actually using the tool for a job (or even a hobby) is going to make fun of you, and rightly so.
>>
>mfw I use aperture mode all the time
come at me
>>
>>2723233
>implying not changing is different from choosing
>missing the point that in p all triangle settings are always chosen by camera, you just can override

You're a special kind of stupid.
P is A with more control when you want it. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just your ego can't accept you shoot automatic because you have to lie to yourself about being better than others and this is one of your little arbitrary criteria.
>>
>>2723236
>settings are tools

Dude what?

Do you also make fun of people who shoot film and manually focus because it's not the way you'd do it?
>>
>>2723233
>The camera will start at whatever value you had it at last (or a default value) and you can fire away without any input at all.

You could do the same with M though, even if the exposure is wrong.

But it's no different in A or S: if you have the exposure compensation or ISO set incorrectly and it results in a shot that's too dark, too bright, or too grainy.
>>
>>2722992
What is DSG (or just any auto with a select shift)? Transmissions for $400 please.
>>
>>2723022
This. What you use M all the time you can just read the light and set appropriately. Always used manual when shooting sports as well.
>>
>>2723241
Considering that using manual nowadays is simply running the wheel until the light meter in the viewfinder is centered, which is something the camera can simply do automatically for you, aperture priority is the superior choice
>>
>>2722359
I simply use Auto when I see no particular reason to use A/P/S or M.

Sony does automatic settings pretty well (including AWB), so the results are -in a way- pretty predictable and the modes that do things automatically are rather useful.

Still gotta use A/P/S/M sometimes because of either rapidly moving subjects, manual flashlights, or because I want my exposure to happen to the left / right, and not centered.
>>
>>2724273

that's the wrong way to shoot manual, m80.
>>
File: 1339980561686.jpg (117 KB, 398x323) Image search: [Google]
1339980561686.jpg
117 KB, 398x323
How has no one posted this yet?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePhase One
Camera ModelP 25
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width640
Image Height480
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2011:01:03 19:26:37
ISO Speed Rating50
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width398
Image Height323
>>
>>2722359
Auto/P mode when speed > quality or when I give the camera to somebody to take a pic.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.