[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gear Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: Pentax_645D_tripod.jpg (100 KB, 480x367) Image search: [Google]
Pentax_645D_tripod.jpg
100 KB, 480x367
Gear Thread

If you have questions about a new camera, what lenses to buy and anything related to gear or wondering about getting into photography, post it in this thread.
Do not attempt to make a new thread for your new Rabal, broken glass and being new. You have been warned!
I repeat, ANYTHING GEAR RELATED goes in here!

And don't forget, be polite!

Previous thread: >>2718307

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 7D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
PhotographerMiles Hecker
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.4
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2011:04:07 11:00:17
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance3.19 m
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length236.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width480
Image Height367
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
1. Anyone have experience shooting street and landscape with the 50 prime on a crop sensor? How was it? Did you feel that you needed something wider?

2. Should I get D7000 with 35 1.8 or D600/D610/cheapest full frame available and use the 50 I have (this is packing for a trip. Just a camera and a versatile lens.) maybe some info on image quality? Not too worried, I have good glass and I use Lr.

I'm not fussy over what gear it's that I'm indecisive.
Thanks
>>
>>2720968
50 on crop is a short tele, general portrait range. Select your distance accordingly. If you feel you need wider, then go for a 35, 24 or 18mm prime (50, 35 and 28mm equivalent on APS-C).
>>
>>2720968
hit submit too early...
I'd rather recommend the D7000/7100/7200 because it is a mid range body with crop sensor. The D600/610 even if it has a FF sensor it is an entry level body with features dumbed down. You get a full workflow on the D7x00 while you will feel limited an the D6x0.
If you want a good FF on a budget, look for a D750.
>>
>>2720980
>>2720978
Alrighty d7x00 it is then. I think I'll be getting a 35 1.8 as I'm on a pretty tight budget too considering other lenses.

Hey thanks heaps mate
>>
>>2720982
35mm on crop will give you a standard view angle, you can do a lot with that lens.
>>
File: Picture4.png (2 MB, 953x796) Image search: [Google]
Picture4.png
2 MB, 953x796
Why should I get an external Flash?
Is it really that necessary?
I've got my eyes on a crazy deal locally so wondering if I should just buy one
>>
How close/far should the lens' focus be for portraits without facial distortion? I'm just using my 18-55 kit lens and it makes peoples' faces look asymmetrical below like 25mm or maybe it's just me
>>
>>2720980
What important stuff does the D610 not have that the D750 does? group AF, what else?
>>
>>2720988
It has something the D750 doesn't have: a plastic body.
>>
>>2720987
Distortion comes from your distance from the subject. For full body stuff, you want to be at about 85mm full frame equivalent. For closeups like head and shoulders work, you want to be around 135mm full frame equivalent.
>>
>>2720988
This is an easy Google search away
>>
What type of flash would you use with any KMZ camera?
>>
How can I go about taking and selling my photographs online? I want to supplement a bit of income while I finish up uni. Any websites I can publish and sell my photos on?
>>
>>2721030
You'll be better off with getting a part time job. With out established connections and being known amongst the clientèle it is extremely hard to get a paid job.
Get a proper job where you can meet lots of people from all kinds of places and find a way to get known. Then you can start thinking about paid photography jobs.
>>
>>2721031
its just as a hobby. I like taking pictures. If I can get paid on top of that, I'm all the happier. That's all I'm talking about. My dad did photography freelance a long time ago when he was a fireman and won a lot of prizes for his photos in contests and stuff, I was just wondering if theres stuff like that. I'm a full time student pursuing a specific career, not planning on a career in photography. Just interested in the possibility of selling the best of the best shots
>>
>>2721034
There are so many photographers out there, it's not a huge possibility to sell any photos.
>>
>>2721034
Nobody will pay you for the photos you want to take. People may pay you for the photos that they want taken, such as engagement photos, senior portraits, birthday parties, etc. Advertise your services on social media along with relevant photos you've taken in the past to give potential clients confidence in your abilities.
>>
>>2721038
>>2721034
damn submit again...
Ask biff about it, he got an exhibition running, I'm also interested if he managed to sell any.
Last time I looked his site was also down.
>>
>>2721041
damn biff.tk is ded wait ill ask him what happened :(
>>
I got my babbys first camera a couple days ago. I have the lenses they give you in the T5 rebel "starter kit" (18-55mm and 75-300mm) as well as a 50mm f/1.8 I bought shortly after.

Today I am going to go to the state park and I am just wondering if I should be swapping out lenses for different shots or if I should focus on improving my work with just one lens?
>>
>>2721041
okay so he's still posting on fb. Asked him to come to this thread. Hpoefully he shows up
>>
what size sd card do yall use? and what speed? i have a small micro sd card and adapter but probably not big enough for sufficient raw image storage
>>
>>2720986
If you're not running in to scenarios where you're thinking you'd like to have a better flash then skip it.
>>
>>2721051
General walking around? A 64GB that I got on clearance.
Paid work? Brand new 32GB SD/16 GB CF
>>
>>2721057
2x Sandisk Extreme 32Gb
Regular size, no microSD bullshit.
>>
>>2721051
I think mine is 64gb. It doesn't really matter much if you aren't running out of space often.

As for speed, i use 150mb/s just because i use continuous shutter for animals and the extra speed clears the tiny (5 frame raw) buffer on my D7100 faster.
>>
>>2721046
Take both. You want to learn what your lenses can and can't do, right?
>>
>>2720955
Are SD to CF card adapters any good?

Do they bottle neck the SD cards speed?

http://amzn.com/B001DKO7R8
>>
>>2721080
You know CF cards are far faster than SD, right?
>>
>>2721097
Yeah, but I was wondering if adapting it from a different memory type would make it considerably slower.

Im considering it cause SD cards price per gb is half.
>>
>>2721050
Hehey!
>>2721041
I've sold about 10 posters, but havent made much cash because the printing was quite pricy and I didn't want to charge too much for the posters. exhibition is closed since end of November btw
>>
>>2720980
>>2720984
okay so I spoke too soon. How's a 5D mark ii?

>>2721105
>damn i'm banned
lol man
what camera did you use when you were here in NZ?
>>
>>2721122
Canon 6D with mainly 2 primes, 24mm and 50mm
>>
Thinking of buying a D3200 for $200. Will be used for shit like taking pictures of my kid and family. I want a 70D but it's a little too much for me price wise and fear it might be a little too much camera for a beginner
>>
>>2721126
> Thinking of buying a D3200 for $200. Will be used for shit like taking pictures of my kid and family.
Why not?

> and fear it might be a little too much camera for a beginner
Nah, not really a problem. You could operate a better camera than that very quickly. Actually, the better your camera & lens, the easier it gets.

But, well, on a low budget, in most cases you probably better spend your extra money on glass.
>>
File: Konica_Pop_Rouge.jpg (107 KB, 387x283) Image search: [Google]
Konica_Pop_Rouge.jpg
107 KB, 387x283
How much for a Konica Pop?
They are mostly overpriced in ebay, but I haven't seen them in flea markets here so I guess I'll get on online.
Max I should pay? 10, 20? 30 starts feeling retarded.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 350D DIGITAL
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows
Image Width387
Image Height283
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2012:02:11 12:45:19
Exposure Time1/2 sec
F-Numberf/10.0
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/10.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePartial
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width387
Image Height283
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
Canon 10-18 IS or Sigma 10-20?
For a crap sensor 550D.
The canon for me clearly wins because sigma seems to have more focusing issues from what I've read and does not have IS like the canon.

If there are any other things I should consider or if anyone has tried these lens input would be much appreciated thanks.
>>
>>2721125
alright sweet as man thanks.
have a good one
>>
>>2721136
I have the 10-18 IS and use it on my a6000. It's a beast in tems of image quality - for this amount of money. The IS works VERY well and handheld shots at 1/5s are no problem at all. Plus, the STM AF is quick as a motherfucker. I can highly recommend this lens.
>>
>>2721143
thanks, your putting confidence in my decision to buy this lens.
>>
I have a D750 and need a 24-70/2.8 and a 70-200/2.8 to put together a wedding setup

Can anyone who has shot both the Nikkor and Tamron version of these zooms speak to their quality? The Nikkor zooms are absurdly expensive and I'd like to buy the Tamrons instead. Any particular reason not to do that?
>>
>>2721167
Because they are lower in quality. AF is slower, sharpness is lower. CA is controlled less accurately. Durability is less. There are dozens of comparison articles written up all over the place. Go read some. the number of photographers on /p/ who own and use both sets of both lenses are probably not as high as you (inexplicably) think.
>>
>>2721171
These things are all worse based on your experience with the lens or you're re-reading an article to me?

I don't care about gear articles, I can find them easily enough and I don't trust them. I want to hear about experiences.
>>
>>2721175
>the number of photographers on /p/ who own and use both sets of both lenses are probably not as high as you (inexplicably) think.
>>
>>2721177
So then you haven't used them

Then why are you talking?
>>
I'm buying my first camera for video and don't have all that much of a budget. But I also wanted something that can support an external microphone and will give me a lot of manual control so I have room to learn and grow. Is the t2i a good decision for this?
>>
>>2721180
The reviews are lying to you. Get the Tammy. It's better than the nikon one.
>>
>>2721180
Good luck.
>>
>>2721223
It is not. The lowest you should go in the Canon line is the T3i. Buy something cheap, and used, and get cheap manual focus lenses in stead of paying for modern AF glass.
>>
>>2721044
Could you link me to somewhere where I can view his photos please? I've been trying to see his work but have had no luck.
>>
What's a nice mechanical film camera that I can get for around 200 dollars (body and lens)?
>>
Sup /p/,

I switched a year ago from an entry level DSLR (D3200) to an X-E2 with few lenses (18mm f/2 and 35mm f/1.4). It's awesome in great lightning conditions, I absolutely love it.

However, last night I was at a party in very low light and I was really disappointed by focus speed, it was not working at all and I even missed some shots.

I am considering switching back (or add as an additional system) to a DSLR for when I need extra performance.
Currently, I am thinking something like a 6D or D600, something that would be great and fast in low lights.

What would you recommend ? I don't know if the price would really justify for when I need extra speed,
I only shoot family events, vacations, partys with friends, etc; I just want great IQ in the end.
>>
>>2720955
I am a complete beginner to photography. I want to get a camera and learn. Is this a good deal for a beginner?http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T5I-SLR-Camera-700D-18-55-mm-IS-STM-7-Lens-Kit-16GB-/221270940955
>>
>>2721316
i wouldnt buy kits like that, they bundle stuff you dont really need to up the price and liquidate items that are taking up space in inventory.
heres a great camera in the price range on sale

http://www.adorama.com/IPXK3.html
>>
I currently have an entry level DSLR (D3300), and I'm pretty satisfied with it. However, I'm looking to get more lenses. I see mostly people saying get FF lenses so you don't have to rebuy when you upgrade, but should I be buying lenses when I don't know what future body brand I would be getting? Makes no sense to buy Nikon lenses if I end up buying a Canon.
>>
>>2721316
Do not start with a Canon camera unless you have a good reason to. Get a used D7000, or Pentax K5 or K3.

Canon cameras are usable, but they are also noticeably behind the others, image quality wise.
>>
>>2721318
Thanks for the advice. I am mostly interested in the extra lenses included with the kit. The rest is just fluff to me.
>>
Canon EOS M3 with 18-55mm lens for $350?

It's on clearance for $500 plus $150 cash back...
>>
>>2721320
opinions on 5D mark i and mark ii in terms of image quality?
>>
Thinking of upgrading from Fuji x-e1 to sony a7. Any reason i shouldn't upgrade to a7?
>>
I normally shoot full frame with a 50mm/1.4 wide open, or close to it. Suggestions for a mirrorless setup which will come as close as possible to replicating this, while still being pocketable? Willing to spend up to $2kish.
>>
>>2721338
A7 comes to mind
>>
I've asked this in the stupid questions thread but haven't gotten any answers. Using LR3, when I try to export a file I can only export it to my user file, desk top, same folder as original and the only other option is my dropbox folder - which was the last folder I was exporting to before this happened. I'm not able to choose an option for exporting it to say a different folder in my F drive.

Has anyone ever encountered this and how would I fix it? Google really hasn't been much help to me.(I know I should upgrade but it does what I need it to so I'm good for now)
>>
Do any of you know what I'll need to mount a Pentax smc lense on a Minolta x-570 body?
>>
>>2721395
A Pentax to Minolta adapter.

>>2721365
Sorry friend, no idea. Never happened to me before.
>>
>>2721397
Do you know which one specifically? I've looked but I've got nothing to show for it.
>>
>>2721320

Beginners should NOT be answering other beginners on here when they have no fucking clue what they're talking about.
>>
>>2721402
Okay, let's say beginner buys a camera and starts shooting. There is the obvious first steps which are the same for everyone. Then he runs into situations where lighting is not very good and ends up details covered in deep shadows. With a non Canon camera he can pull the shadows and recover his shot. With a Canon he also tries to pull shadows and ends up with noise instead of detail.
Running into such a problem and limitation early on is not nice and can make the following experience suffer.
Starting with a Canon usually means some Rebel and it will be a huge mistake sooner than later. Suggesting to spend the same money on a better beginner body is the best tip any beginner can get.
>>
>>2721415
+10 years shooting, ~7 years photo store. This is some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Seriously, you shouldn't be giving advice at all.
>>
File: AE374__8_.jpg (160 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
AE374__8_.jpg
160 KB, 600x600
>want to get a yongnuo yn600ex-rt to use with my 430ex
>will be using it mostly on a 60d
>some ebay listings specifically state that it won't work with a 60d, while some do

rather specific question here, but has anyone tried using a yn600 with a 60d successfully?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 7D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Image Width5184
Image Height3456
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2015:01:12 16:56:09
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/14.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/14.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.71 m
Metering ModeSpot
Focal Length35.00 mm
Image Width600
Image Height600
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
>>2721416
Canon might have been relevant 10 years ago but today there are far too many better cameras for less money, offering lots more features. Just take a look at Pentax, beginner bodies have better weather sealing than a top line Canon and none of the pentamirror dustmagnet. Not to mention better sensors than the one in the flagship Canon 5Ds.
Canon is literally the worst choice a beginner can make and shills like you are making it even worse for them. Shut up and be a dinosaur somewhere else.
>>
>>2721427
Want to know the absolute #1 thing for beginners choosing a camera? Ergonomics.
Every modern entry level camera is more-or-less the same performance wise. Seriously. If this is enough of a difference for you to go on your anti-Canon tirade, you are literally retarded. Any of the entry levels from any brand will be perfectly adequate for any beginner or even amateur photographer, if you don't think that's the case, I think you have a long ways to go in your photography.

>Just take a look at Pentax
Who also aren't anywhere near as successful as Canikon, for several reasons.

>and shills like you are making it even worse for them
Not a shill, I would easily rank Canon near the bottom, and definitely "push" people to buy it least often. But arguing against Canon from a performance standpont for beginners 100% retarded. You can try to make the case on the pro class of cameras, where min/max specs actually matters, but really, most pros that need top level performance aren't even using DSLRs to begin with.
>>
File: capiso.png (292 KB, 573x260) Image search: [Google]
capiso.png
292 KB, 573x260
>>2721432
>>
Can someone help me demystify TTL flash with the Ricoh GR? The information on the internet is just not good. One site said it uses 'Type R TTL' which as far as I'm concerned is not a real thing
>>
>>2721432
>Who also aren't anywhere near as successful as Canikon, for several reasons.
Yeah, the main reason being marketing, not performance.
>>
>>2721434
The Nikon looks slightly cleaner, but I'm also seeing more CA
>>
>>2720968

I shoot with d5000 and 35 1.8. Shit's cash, pretty versatile on a crop since I find it easier to shoot landscapes than with a 50mm. I had the 50mm and I didn't like it.
>>
Hey guys

I shoot with a Nikon D5000 and a 35mm 1.8 lens. I often find myself feeling limited to the very slow autofocus on the D5000, so I'm deciding to switch to canon to upgrade to the 6D...

HOWEVER, my dilemma is actually if I should save my 35mm 1.8 and upgrade to a Nikon D610, or should I sell my D5000 with the 35mm lens and upgrade to a Canon 6D with a 35mm Sigma Art lens? I'm pretty conflicted.

Also, anyone know a few ways to earn a grand or two in a month an a half? I started selling prints which got me around $400 right now but I don't really know how to market my photos to my friends and family (they don't really have the money to toss around at art)... I'm working full time...
>>
>>2721454
Get the 6D and a Rokinon 14mm along with a nifty 50.
>>
File: reynox-dcr-250.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
reynox-dcr-250.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
Was wanting to get into macro photography and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the raynox DCR-250. I can't afford a new, proper macro lens, so should I get this, or should I try and find a cheap vintage macro lens? also, any recommendations for cheap lenses would be helpful. thanks
>>
So, i got the sony a6000, with the kit lens, but I've a zenit 11 too, with a 44m helios lens.

What kind of adapter I need? Lens or ring adapter?

Also, any experience using old lenses on a dslr/mirrorless? If the "combination" works or..?
>>
>>2721466
Forget that shit, just get a set of extension tubes for your kit lens.
>>
>>2721452
>>2721454
Are you two the same?

Anyway, I sold my D5100 and yea I bought a 5DM2 (it was a cheap deal - body + battery grip and 2 batteries and CF card for $1150 which is in NZD). I plan to go 50 1.8 alone or with a 35/28/24 whatever a cheap wide angle will be.
As far as I know (and well hope) that'll do me good for street/landscape/ for travels.
>>
Hey guys, I bought the Sigma 35 1.4 Art for my 6D and love it to bits but it has a heap of front and back focusing issues on the outer autofocus points. Is this normal? Should I exchange it, sell it and buy the Tamron 35 1.8, or what?

Help pls.
>>
>>2721476
doesn't it have that USB dock thingy where you can adjust focus and stuff
>>
>>2721476
Use the center point or correct manually
>>
>>2721478
It miss-focuses by centimetres sometimes. It also front and back focuses. Its not even consistent in the issue.
>>
>>2721484
Try calibrating with the USB dock thing
>>
>>2721492
I didn't get one with the lens
>>
>>2721263
Anyone?
>>
File: 5690247164_4b02d3b8fc_z.jpg (93 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
5690247164_4b02d3b8fc_z.jpg
93 KB, 640x427
What is this, and why is it there? And why won't it push down, when I screw then lens on my Zenit 122? I can't change the aperture when it isn't pushed down.

>>
>>2721136
the 10-18 is 5/5 bretty gud for the price

something I dislike about it is when you have to manually focus it, it seems to have full-time manual that only works around half the time
>>
>>2721539
Switch it into Auto, it must've been switched over to Manual
>>
>>2721544
There is no auto
>>
>>2721545
On the lens. It has to have a switch for auto or manual aperture since it has the stop-down pin.
>>
>>2721539
there should be a little actuator in the camera that presses it in when shooting

so you don't have to change aperture setting to focus before stopping down again
>>
>>2721539
The one on the bottom tells the camera what the aperture is set to if the camera supports it. The one on the top stops down when you take the picture. If your camera doesn't have a lever to push the pin in when you take a picture then you need a lens with A/M setting.
>>
>>2721547
Those lenses don't, which is why they're useless with cameras that don't directly support them. That's why I can't use my Helios with my Minolta despite having the adapter, unless I shoot wide open the entire time.
>>
>>2721467
anyone?
>>
>>2721572
why on earth would you shoot a helios anything but wide open?
>>2721575
m42 to e
>>
OKAY GUYS I REALLY NEED HELP.

Should I buy this brand new, only used a few times from my friend?

Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit and Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR and Camera Bag

£275

Should I? Please be frank and as honest as possible
>>
>>2721167
I have the tamron and the big one for me is absolutely NO teleconverters work with AF. The canon variant does sorta, but not the nikon. If I would have known that, I never would have bought it. The IQ is absurdly good but I'm sure the nikon is slightly better. AF is also extremely fast, accurate and quiet (best of any lens I've ever used) but I'm sure nikon is slightly better.
>>
>>2721691
Meanwhile at Pentax
>>
About to purchase the GX8, only reason i'm picking m43 is because all my current lenses are m43. Is there a better m43 camera around the same budget? 4k capable preferable. I want this to be a upgrade to the GX7 that broke on me.
>>
>>2721592
We know literally nothing about you other than you may have at least one friend. How about some background? Do you need an "almost new" low tier camera for some reason?
>>
I'm looking for a wireless trigger system for speed lights. I've got 3x Nikon SB-24s that I'm looking to use with some older film cameras. I need the transmitter to be fired via a PC Sync cable. So far all I can find online is cheap Chinese shit with poor reviews on reliability. Anyone have any suggestions.
>>
>>2721723

pocket wizards are the standard.
>>
Picked up my first MF body today, Contax 645 and 55mm f3.5. I need to wait for a back and batteries before I can test it out.

Because the body has the waist level finder w/ loupe, I don't have a hotshoe for flash.
What's going to be the best way for me to get wireless flash with this setup?

Any lenses I should lookout for or any adapter & lens combos?
Thanks fellow gearfags.
>>
>>2721747
Should've got a Pentax 645n or 67
>>
>>2721747
PocketWizard through the PC port.

Also, use the Contax lenses. They're amazing.

>>2721750
wat.
One of those is worse in every way, and the other is completely different.
>>
Alright so I'm in my home town and I can't find any photo gear for sale. I've visited 7 thrift stores, and 15 antique mall/stores.

All I found were Kodak Pocket Cameras from 1920, and a Nikkormat FT but it was 57.

Where the fuck else can I seek out cameras? This town blows. Canton, Ohio here
>>
File: 2-of-10-would-not-bang-5.jpg (156 KB, 600x751) Image search: [Google]
2-of-10-would-not-bang-5.jpg
156 KB, 600x751
>>2721446
>the main reason being marketing
They can afford the massive marketing because they've been so successful. Hell, Canikon + Olympus + Pentax have been in the game for decades, Sony's a relative new kid on the block and they already have 93% of all mirrorless sales and taken up position #3 for overall camera sales.
If a beginner is starting out, it's much better for them to have a brand that they have easy access to. You can find Canikony cameras, lenses, and accessories in just about any electronic store. It's so much more of a hastle when you have to special order stuff, and not even get a chance to try it out in person.

>>2721451
And if that miniscule difference makes or breaks a photo for you, you should quit photography all-together. The differences are a non-issue, especially for beginners. People that argue over this shit are literally doing the same as pic related, but with cameras.
>>
>>2721766
You're the one arguing. Stop shitposting! Make a damn contribution to the thread or fuck off!
>>
File: 1428789689804.jpg (307 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1428789689804.jpg
307 KB, 1920x1080
Hi guys
Live in the UK and am an avid bird watcher, really enjoy it and have recently decided I want to get into photography perticularly of birds. Have litte to no expereice, any tips or advice?
>>
>>2721793
You will need a rugged weather sealed camera with longer telephoto lens. The Pentax K-50 or used K-5II with HD DA 55-300 is a good start. With this setup you can bird in rain.
>>
>>2721803
what kind of carry gear should I use? as I walk a long way I know from using telescopes the mirrors can get dislodged wiith vibrations
>>
>>2721815
SLRs give zero fucks. Throw it down the stairs and it won't be thrown out of alignment.

Probably.
>>
>>2721825
Ohh right haha so is pentrax quite a reliabe starter SLR?
>>
>>2721826
Very much so , but you will want to be sure that you have access to long Pentax telephoto lenses that you will need for birding.
>>
>>2721827
I use a Tair 300mm photosniper. Cheap, sharp reliable. When you get the hang of the manual focusing it is actually quite easy to use.
>>
>>2721825
>>
Thankls for the help, Does /p/ like photos of birds? would it be worth shairing them here?
>>
>>2721836
no thanks
>>
>>2721836
There's usually a bird thread around. If it's not in the catalog feel free to make one.
>>
>>2721263
>>2721528
Yea sorry sorry, I didn't check my fb messages. He sent his tumblr which is still up, only his url died.

http://biffmood.tumblr.com
>>
I have never touched a DSLR before, is D3300 generally a good camera to start with along with the standard kit lens?
>>
What's the rule about long exposure/focal length for shooting stars? divide by 600 for the max before star trails? or 400.
>>
>>2721857
its a wonderful camera. however, if you have the money, get the D7100.
If you dont have the cash, get a 3300. its a great camera.
>>
>>2721320
But canon IS great for beginners because they don't really know what quality is or what it means, they are cheap as fuck and everywhere.
I don't know a DSLR + flash + prime as cheap as canon (new).
Sure, they've read about chromatic aberration and noise and burned pixels and shit but they don't really know what it means in a practical sense.
In their later newb state they will complain about noise performance, or ca, or whatever.
Then they will learn that most of it either doesn't matter for what you need, or that it can be fixed easily most of the time.

>>2721857
It's good, if you can, try to buy a "prime" too, which is basically a 50mm lens.
Nikon or Canon are good choices since it's easy to find glass, and other hardware for them, if you keep at it this will be important because you'll want to buy a flash, or other lenses, or add ons (battery grip, wireless shutter, etc.).
Don't listen to: >>2721860
Always put the least amount of money into the camera body.
Optics > Hardware > Camera body.
Camera bodies are replaced like cellphones, all the time.
Optics last (ideally) forever and are compatible (ideally) forever, so they are a better investment. Followed by regular use hardware (tripod, bag, lights, reflectors, etc.).
>>
>>2721858
Full Frame Equivalent Focal Length/500
>>
>>2721320
>Canon cameras are usable, but they are also noticeably behind the others, image quality wise.
probably meant to say
>Canon cameras are NOT unusable, but they are also noticeably behind the others
>>
Really basic question here.
If I fire a speedlight remotely via canons built in wireless function (transmitted by the built in flash) does both the external speedlight and the on-camera flash fire?
>>
File: K3.jpg (146 KB, 612x450) Image search: [Google]
K3.jpg
146 KB, 612x450
>>2721864
>I don't know a DSLR + flash + prime as cheap as canon (new).
canon doesnt have any deal this good
>>
>>2721873
I guess it depends on where you live.
I can find pentax bodies here for cheap, but new glass is rare.
Though old pentax glass is nice, and there's a lot of that in flea markets here.
And the flash you put in there doesn't even swivel, no faggot will learn about bouncing flash off the ceiling and shit with that, although if it has a wireless trigger that would be nice for shooting hobby products.
>>
>>2721880
>would be nice for shooting hobby products
Not everyone is an introvert figurine fucker. Get a life, mate
>>
>>2721864
I don't have a lot of money to spend anyway, I don't mind having to just have the kit lens for the first few months of having it.

If buying used, what body and lenses would you recommend?
>>
>>2721884
>implying implications
There's trains, bonsai, watches, electronics, selling shit on ebay, whatever.

>>2721887
Kit lens are good to learn, although there's that newb mistake of framing with "zoom" instead of framing with your feet/body (i.e. moving around), that's why primes are recommended, but not required, don't worry.

If used, whatever entry level or higher dslr past 2009 is good.

For Nikon I'd start at D3000. The previous nikon entry level was the D40, it was a popular choice for photography students, and they go for super fucking cheap used now. It's old now by digital and internet standards though, and might feel super archaic but hey, cheap as beer.

Canon, their entry level was the 1000D/XS (europe name/usa name), also super cheap, lacked features but since it was cheap and it had the basic control it was also popular for beginners. The 450D/XSi was a step above it and also really popular.

Everything above those, in years or range is worth it if found for a decent price. But it's hard to recommend something specific because it will depend on where you live, the price, conditions, etc.
>>
>>2721858
thanks
>>
Is there a /p/ approved list of backpacks?
I'm looking for one around $30-$50 that can hold my camera + tripod.

Thanks!
>>
40 mb/s sd cards will be plenty fast for shooting the occasional burst shots in raw right?
>>
>>2721696
Didn't Tamron make something similar to this?
>>
>>2721946
You don't even want to tell us what camera you're using? We're just guessing whether you mean 3 frames per second from a 12mp camera, or 12 frames per second from a 24 mp camera? You doing bursts with the a7Rmk2? You're going to need a better card than that.
>>
>>2721952
k3
i live on a good piece of land with woods in the backyard so theres lots of birds and critters and i want to be able to take short bursts from time to time. i can get two 16 gb 40 mb/s cards for pretty cheap, or a 32 gb 150 mb/s for about twice that
>>
>>2721946
SD card speed only affects buffer clear speed and buffer full continuous speed. with a UHS I or II card, most cameras will do about 3-5 FPS with the buffer full, depending on settings. don't know about K3.
>>
>>2721848
Cheers man
>>
The new EF f/1.8 50mm STM looks pretty nice. They shrunk the minimum focusing distance some, and added more aperture blades. It's also pretty cheap at $110 new (too new to hit ebay).

Only bad thing is on my APS-C crop, it's a bit tele for my tastes - is there anything in a comparable in the price range for 35-40mm, but still a big aperture for bokeh porn?
>>
>>2722076
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-18-35mm-f-1.8-DC-HSM-Lens.aspx

apparently this is rather noice, albeit a bit pricey
>>
>>2722076
It's by far the cheapest lens Canon offers. There isn't anything fast and wider unless you're paying "real photography money". It's made so that you can use your kit lens for most of your daily stuff, and then use the nifty fifty for portraits on your baby crop camera. There's a cheap-ish 35mm prime, but "ish" is still a lot more expensive than the nifty 50. Also, the 40mm pancake...
>>
>>2722103
>albeit a bit pricey
Not at all considering it's the fastest zoom lens for APS-C bodies, and its performance is also extremely good.
>>
>>2722105
OK, good that I didn't miss anything. This is going on an ancient 350D, I might switch systems in the future so don't want to make a huge investment in glass.

I was looking at the 40mm pancake too, but f/1.8 to f/2.8 is a big jump for little other benefit it seems.
>>
File: tumblr_nxkq2fNYdT1qggwnvo1_1280.jpg (269 KB, 1280x852) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxkq2fNYdT1qggwnvo1_1280.jpg
269 KB, 1280x852
Best cameras to take portraits with?
Posting samples of the type of pictures I want to take.

1/4

Camera SoftwareInstagram
Image Width2560
Image Height1704
>>
File: sophia-loren.jpg (551 KB, 936x1106) Image search: [Google]
sophia-loren.jpg
551 KB, 936x1106
>>2722143
2/4
>>
File: twiggy-too2.jpg (506 KB, 2400x2390) Image search: [Google]
twiggy-too2.jpg
506 KB, 2400x2390
>>2722144
3/4

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
PhotographerRonald Traeger
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2009:09:23 12:16:26
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2400
Image Height2390
>>
>>2722146
4/4

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Width2419
Image Height3000
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2015:01:26 12:15:45
Image Width2500
Image Height1407
>>
>>2722143
Pretty much any ILC with the appropriate lens. The lens is really gonna be the most important part. Most any ILC from any brand, film or digiral, will easily get you pics like that.

So I'd look at other features, aesthetic, ergonomics, etc if you want to narrow it down.
>>
>>2722151
ILC?
>aesthetic, ergonomics, etc
I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>2722164
ILC = interchangable lens camera.
>I have no idea what you're talking about.
My point is that just about any camera with interchangable lenses can take those pictures.
>Best cameras to take portraits with?
There just is no "best', there's literally thousands of them. It's like asking, "best car to get groceries with?", pretty much any car can do that. So you have to look at other things to help decide, like how many seats (are they heated?), do you need in-dash navigation, automatic or maual transmission, do you want it to be electric motor, what color of the car, etc.

It's the same for cameras, so aesthetics (how the camera looks), ergonomics (how the camera feels in your hand), and other specifications. Do you want an articulating screen? Do you need an optical or electronic viewfinder? Etc. Describe your ideal camera other than "I want it to take pictures' and we can probably find the right one for you.
>>
>>2722172
I want it to take GOOD pictures and be cheap.
A flippy screen would be cool, but not necessary.
>>
File: DSCN1556.jpg (694 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1556.jpg
694 KB, 2000x1500
Who else poor here?

Also, what do you guys think of Yashica? This FR 1 is broken, but my dad's always been a fan.

PS sorry for shit pic took it quick with wife's point and shoot.

Equipment MakeNIKON
Camera ModelCOOLPIX S2800
Camera SoftwareCOOLPIX S2800V1.1
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.2
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)26 mm
Image Created2016:01:13 10:47:39
Exposure Time1/25 sec
F-Numberf/3.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating80
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Auto, Red-Eye Reduce
Focal Length4.60 mm
Image Width2000
Image Height1500
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
Color ModeCOLOR
Image QualityNORMAL
White BalanceAUTO
Image SharpeningAUTO
Focus ModeAF-S
Flash SettingRED-EYE
ISO SelectionAUTO
Image AdjustmentNORMAL
Auto FocusSingle Area, Bottom Selected, Top Focused
Scene ModeAUTO
SaturationNormal
Noise ReductionOFF
>>
>>2720955
Fucking large format...why did they have to change everything up once you get above mf? Trying to learn enough about them to decide what to get is like learning photography in the first place.
>>
>>2722194
i have a nikon N70(F70) and my 5D mark ii is on the way which i could only afford after selling my D5100 and the two kit lenses. I have a 35-80 and a 50 for the nikon and buying a 50 for the 5dm2. I like your yashica.

general question:
You guys reckon a 50 1.8 on the 5DM2 will serve me well for travel? we're talking landscape, astro, street etc
>>
>>2722206
>Fucking large format...why did they have to change everything up once you get above mf? Trying to learn enough about them to decide what to get is like learning photography in the first place.

what's confusing you? it's all pretty straightforward.
>>
best mirrorless for under $400?
either used or refurbished or new. I am leaning towards a fuiji x m1. But I am kinda on the fence with a d5200 dslr with a vr2 though. Which should I get or what are some better options for the price range?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image Width3744
Image Height5616
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2015:07:19 13:44:17
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/5.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length22.00 mm
Image Width600
Image Height900
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
>>2722076
EFS 24/2.8, dummy
>>
File: 1407842204108.jpg (398 KB, 837x673) Image search: [Google]
1407842204108.jpg
398 KB, 837x673
>Finally find the perfect camera
>It costs a million dollars
>>
>>2722194
>Who else poor here?
Not poor. Yet.
>Also, what do you guys think of Yashica? This FR 1 is broken, but my dad's always been a fan.
I really like the cameras, they're small and viewfinders are nice. I had an FX-D Quartz that died two frames into a roll. advance lever locked. Couldn't be repaired.
Currently use an FX-3 Super 2000, I really like it. lightweight for a 35mm SLR but it feels a bit flimsy. I've had the frame advance lever jam once so far and it doesn't feel as sturdy as something from Canon around the same time.
There's no depth of field preview on the bodies I own for C/Y lenses which can be a pain if shooting tele.
Glass is good and you can adapt M42 lenses no problem. Mechanical shutter is also good and fairly accurate.

If you can get it repaired and have glass to shoot, it can really be worth it.
>>
>>2722262
>I am leaning towards a fuiji x m1. But I am kinda on the fence with a d5200 dslr with a vr2 though.
The X-M1 is alright if you can live with no viewfinder. If you're on a strict budget you may find it hard to afford lenses for Fuji X.
Pick it up if you have a lot of old glass that can be mounted with an adapter.
>>
>>2722262
Is that your photo?
Have you got a website?
I wanna see more of your photos with 5D M2
>>
>>2722291
> more photos
I meant landscape/cityscape and less models
>>
>>2722282
Im thinking about how tough it may be to live without a viewfinder. But im not really sure. I may have to go to a store to test it out. I dont have any lenses right now, I use to have a d3200.

>>27222
He is on tumblr and facebook. Amazing japanese photographer. Makes you feel like you have a personal relationship/story with the model. His name is actually in the picture
>>
/p/ jokes aside, what do you guys actually think of the Pentax K3 ii?

I already have an X-pro1. I like street photography, portraiture, and am very interested in astrophotography, both the landscape flavor and the telescope-mounted flavor.

I don't really need full frame but would like it since I also like low-light performance.

My general plan was to get either a 6D and a 70-200 f4 L, or an XT1 and a 50-140 f2.8.

But now that I'm reading about this body, it's looking more attractive, especially because it's cheaper.
>>
>>2722295
I used to use an EOS M without a viewfinder. The biggest impact is to composition or close focusing distance since the camera is usually at arms length. This can be solved by stepping back.

I was thrilled when I got a viewfinder, but it didn't change my life.
>>
What experience do you guys have with buying cameras and lenses on ebay? How often do scammers try to sell things that aren't as they described, like selling something marked as new when it's clearly used?
>>
>>2722277
mow some lawns
>>
which dslr below 1000€ would you recommend for filming in nice quality?
>>
>>2722332

It's rarer than you think. It happens, but you have to consider that the only time people write anything about their experiences is when they're bad.

You can always contact ebay and ebay will heavily side with the buyer in almost any case provided you have some kind of proof.

If you're still apprehensive about it, use KEH. craigslist is also good.
>>
>>2722334

a used GH4.
>>
>>2722332
All my photography shit was bought on Ebay, never once had a problem. Just don't buy from sketchy dealers with shit feedback, and always read some of the negative feedback the dealer has.
>>
Just bought my first roll of film. Kodak colorplus 200. I have a Zenit 122 and I'm not sure if the TTL metering is accurate on it. I don't really trust it.
>>
>>2722366
Use your phone, there are literally hundreds of free lightmeter apps
>>
>>2722368
Thanks for the advice, never thought about it for some reason. I'm still curious though, is it often that the metering is off on old film cameras?
>>
>>2722366
>Just bought my first roll of film
I feel old.
>>
>>2722303
I have the K-3 with a separate GPS. I posted my shot of the M42 nebula in Orion in the astrophotography thread not long ago. At the time I didn't have the astrotracer so it is a 50 something number of 1s exposures stacked. I'm waiting for the clouds to clear up, maybe just in time to get a glimpse of Catalina comet.
I'm planning to do a wide-field long exposure stack on the nebula system around Orion with either a 35mm or 58mm lens.

With astrotracer you can have tracking on a simple tripod without getting one of those ready made barndoor tracking mounts or the need to DIY one, or even getting an expensive motorized EQ mount. So it is a wise choice indeed.
See Youtube tutorials from Forrest Tanaka and Ian Norman on ETTR method and postprocessing. You will witness some outright black magic.
Also look up short or small refractor astrophotography videos, you will find some really useful informations.

A 200mm lens is a good start, but if you can get a cheap old film lens around 300-400mm range you can dip your toe into deep sky photography. 300mm has the frame to fit Andromeda galaxy, some 7 times bigger than the moon.
>>
>>2722372
Most old camera meters are based on Selenium which can and will age and give an off metering if it even works. The newer film cameras have Silicon based lightmeters that are much more reliable.
Test the meter, see how much it is off compared to the lightmeter app.
>>
>>2722391
It seems to overexpose by 2/3 of a step, so it's still very useful. Thanks for the help.
>>
File: flickr greatestdancer.jpg (172 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
flickr greatestdancer.jpg
172 KB, 640x640
Hi. I've been thinking on getting a dSLR in order to get back on shooting and recording events, mostly ballets and some proms. That is, I want a decent video and somewhat decent stills.

Problem is that the Brazilian Real is very devalued these days, being too costly to import anything, so I'm left with older cameras to buy.

> Would a Canon 5d mk2 be a bad choice nowadays?

> What about Pentax k-3 ii?
>>
What meters does /p/ use? I need a good pocket one to use with a tlr. Of course I want an old weston because they're sexy and cheap but I'm not sure I should
>>
>>2722508
both of those cameras are great and have lots of old lenses that can be had for relatively cheap. i would go with the pentax tho
>>
>>2721026
Bumping..
>>
File: luigi ghirri - alpe-di-siusi.jpg (94 KB, 800x537) Image search: [Google]
luigi ghirri - alpe-di-siusi.jpg
94 KB, 800x537
>>2722541
Yea, I've done video work with 5dMKII and it was good, but I guess it's getting to old to buy today. The main advantage of canon is the availability of lens, batteries etc; around here, every commercial photographer uses Canon cameras.

>i would go with the pentax tho
I've taken a look at Pentax and Nikon cameras as well, they seem to be more up-to-date, but can't seem to find good reviews on video recording modes of the cameras.
Have you got any thought about it?
>>
>>2722539
I use minolta autometers, currently IV version. It's very very good, but not cheap nor pocket-able. Sekonics make very small and reputable lightmeters, though, such as L-208/308. I'd go for one.
>>
>>2722560
If you want primarily video recording then >>2722337

If you want videos and stills, get a Canon 60D and use Magic Lantern. FF is for serious work with stills.
>>
>>2722258
Nothing really confusing about them, it's just the setups are alien compared to the rest of photography. Biggest annoyance this far is selecting a lens/figuring out all of the differences between them. Field camera versus monorail was easy once i realized how little the weight of the camera matters in the whole setup.

Eh, it's just different I guess.
>>
>>2722608
>GH4
It is a very expensive camera here in Br (about 2100 dollars, used). This is more or less what also costs a 5Dmk3 with grip.

>60d
I'll take a look into it, thanks.

>FF is for serious work with stills.
Well, it is for work. I've been doing portraiture with an RZ67, but I want a digital to get back shooting ballets, concertos and such.
>>
>>2720980
>You get a full workflow on the D7x00 while you will feel limited an the D6x0
complete bullshit.
>>
>>2722616
The 5DMkII does fullHD and is supported by Magic Lantern.
If you have the budget then get the 5DMkII and an 24-105 L or 24-70 L lens with IS. You will need the IS. ML will give you lots of options for videos.
If it's out of your budget then get the 60D with same lens above, also put ML on.
>>
This really isn't a gear question but the SQT is somewhat slow. I got offered to teach the kids at my local HS how to use a camera/basics of photography and decided to do it since kindness and whatever. Anyway I noticed that the teacher had pretty much everything that I would cover on the rubric like shutter speed, aperture, ISO, WB, focal length, etc. Though I noticed that he didn't put anything down for crop factor for when it comes to the actual cameras that they're using (D90s and D3100s).

Would it really be all that beneficial to teach them about it since the actual focal length is more narrow? I thought so just in case there were a few kids that wanted to get a bit serious with the technical issues since their PJ class isn't an easy A, but who knows.
>>
>>2722631
Yep, definitely.
>>
>>2722631
Absolutely, yes, much less stupid questions on forums about crop factor is a good thing.
>>
>>2722631
It's worth spending 2 minutes on it, but no point in making a /p/ level deal out of it.

Focus on how to make good photos, not on how to operate a camera.
Day 1) Aperture, shutter speed, ISO, Focal length, getting into Shutter Priority mode.
Day All the rest) Subject, light, perspective, eye, patience, bravery, getting out of your daily routine, confidence in creativity, etc.
>>
experiences with Tamrac camera backpacks?
more specifically the mirage 6
>>
>>2722630
>60D with same lens above, also put ML on
Yes, that sounds like a good set. Also, I've seen recommendations of Sony a6000 on /vid/ thread, any thoughts on it?
>>
>>2722664
It has less controls on video than ML and kind of awkward to work with it. It is primarily a hobby camera.
>>
File: 0415itpanasonic001.jpg (52 KB, 600x496) Image search: [Google]
0415itpanasonic001.jpg
52 KB, 600x496
>>2720955
what's everyone's thoughts on the LX100? i don't intend on lugging around a DSLR (having spent some time carrying a 1200D), and although slightly cheaper mirrorless cameras come to mind i'm more into the convenience of something pocketable. also, bokeh whore

>inb4 no inbuilt flash
>>
>>2722631
>>2722636
Yes, it's good to present crop factor and really all the basic of focal lengths. But I've taught photography workshops for hs students, architecture students, media studies students etc, and from my experienced only one student or two will understand what you're saying without practicing it, or at least seeing with their own eyes. So bring along a MF camera, a crop dSLR, a smartphone, so they can try and see. Still, many won't realize what perceiving, bc many people are not used to think about physics, but they'll perceive it at least. Also, what I've found to be very effective on teaching photographic principles is to bring many technical examples: for instance a bunch of large format pictures which explore thin dof, large perspective, large tonality etc (such as sally Mann, clyde butcher, August sander), a bunch of small format pictures that shows the large dof, the compressed appearance, contrasty tonality, grain etc (such as Josef koudelka, Cartier Bresson, etc); and do this for every matter, such as digital/film, low/high contrast etc because that will teach them to understand visually what are the effects of each matter/technique, which is more important and generally more quickly learned than theoretical technique. Also, the class will be worlds less boring, especially if you present a great variety of styles.
>>
>>2722674
>1200D
>cumbersome
Hit the gym, weak sauce!
>>
>>2722674
>lx100
>pocketable
get rx100.
>>
>>2722674
I'm assuming that you still want to be able to change lenses. If that's the case, stick with a dslr. Mirrorless cameras become top-heavy when medium to long lenses are put on and do not have good ergonomics. This will cause you the same or more lugging around and strain in the end.

>>2722692 is right. Either go to the gym, or stop using ILC cameras.
>>
>>2722713
>being a telecreep
pancake lens exist.
>>
>>2722716
>There is literally nothing else than street photography
Try harder, weak sauce!
>>
Can I tether my 5D mark II to my iPad without eye-fi or external accessories?

Just a cable and an app on the iPad?
>>
What are /p/'s thoughts on the Olympus 150mm f/2.0? I'm thinking of saving up so i can get one with an em10 and adapter. Has anyone tried using it with extension tubes for macro work?
>>
So I bought a Nikon D3200. I knew it had no autofocus motor, the same situation as on the D40 that I had some years back.

Could not afford a more expensive camera. Still can't. The viewfinder is not really big enough for going manual focus, I guess.

What are the best cheap prime lenses that have an AF motor?

Alternatively, should I practice manual focus and maybe get a viewfinder magnifier so I can still take advantage of the wonderful world of old glass?
>>
>>2722774
And why didn't you buy a Pentax K-50? AF motor, full compatibility with old lenses, multiple focus assist for manual glass.
Cheaper than Nikon D3200.
Weather sealing and bright pentaprism viewfinder.
You gave up all this only to pay more.
>>
>>2722785
I didn't come here to reconsider my purchasing decision. I knew Nikon's entry-level model already, broke my camera, and was in a situation where I needed a new one immediately on the cheap. That's how it was.

...meanwhile, your comment adds zero value. An answer to either of my questions in stead of a mental exercise in time traveling would be far better.
>>
>>2722793
>your comment adds zero value
You are totally right, that guy was talking bollocks.
You were much better off with a Sony A6000, you can put any glass on it and focus much easier. It also has excellent native lenses that are also FF compatible.
>>
>>2722798
Okay. But if I buy a new camera one day, I will buy something at a higher price point with its own autofocus motor, so... this also doesn't add any value.

I have two simple questions and nobody's answering them.

People would much rather cruise DeLorean into centuries past than answer two simple questions.
>>
>>2722802
Maybe because those two simple questions are so simple you can literally google them and come up with an answer on the first link.
>>
>>2722804
>the first answer is the best answer
>there's no difference between asking /p/ and asking people who are paid

Also, that only counts for the one about lenses. Not focusing. So maybe not.
>>
>>2722804
>If you have questions about a new camera, what lenses to buy and anything related to gear – OP

>BUT FUCK SIMPLE QUESTIONS FUUUUUUUCK
>>
Should I get a battery grip for my 5d3?
>>
>>2722811
Go for it, anon. But then, get the original Canon one. Sure, it's a tad more expensive but the quality is outstanding (magnesium alloy versus cheap plastic).
>>
>>2722265
>>2722076
>>2722103

got a dumb question about the lens upgrade path for my SL1, I have the kit and the 50mm, how is the 24mm 2.8?

the sigma 18-35 1.8 would be my ideal choice but thats basically more than what my car is worth and seems a bit much for someone who just started photography.
>>
>>2722820
Reviews for the lens are readily available, and you won't get anything better here than you you will there.

What do you plan to use it for? That will really make the difference.
>>
>>2720955
1.4 really worth getting when I got a 50 1.8?
>>
>>2722862
imho, if you're shooting digital, no 50 1.4 is worth it. it's not even a whole stop faster, you get too much oof/bokeh when wide open, if you close the aperture even a bit it will perform pretty much the same as the 50 1.8.

some 50 1.4 are useful for film, such as the first of all 50 1.4, the smc takurmar, bc of constrastier color rendition. but usually is not a good deal, especially if you shoot nikon (nikon took a long time to get 50 1.4 right, their 50s 1.8 are usually much better).

btw, 50mm is not a very useful focal lenght either: it's a tad longer than normal (7mm), but not enough to make good close portraits nor wide enough to not 'feel' cropped; it's alternative, 35mm (7mm shorther than normal), is more encompassing, more easy to envision. so, if I were you, I'd look into a 35mm 1.8.
>>
>>2722867
yeah true, but 5 blades over 8 is a noticeable difference
>>
>>2722867
Wait, how come 50 primes are recommended then?
I get that 35 is great for street, open field, etc. since it tends to get a lot of what you see into the picture.
And I understand that 80mm and above is great for portrait (ideally above 135mm) because it doesn't distort the image and keeps the subject flat.
>>
>>2722877
muh standard film length
>>
>>2722877
50 is for people who find 35 to be a bit too wide, for full frame, and on crop, it's for a cheap portrait lens.
>>
>>2722877
Everyone is different. 50mm used to be the standard for a long time, before zooms came around. For SLRs it was one of the simplest designs to produce. For a long time people knew how a 50mm would perform. Now that a 35mm is ubiquitous some prefer it over the 50mm. If you have a zoom you should see which part of the zoom you use and enjoy the most.

Personally like most I started with a 50mm and then moved to other focal lengths to accomplish different things. Every time I pick up the 50mm again it just so fucking versatile. Other focal lengths are great but for me 50mm is the perfect point of reference to decide whether I need something wider or longer. Most of the time I need nothing else.

Think of it this way: the wider you go the more scene you can capture and the longer you go the more you can focus on a single subject. Also think how far you are going to be. An 85mm is great for taking headshots at a reasonable distance but if you know the person getting a 50mm right in their face is just as good if not better. On the other hand if you are a party animal and you want to take a picture of a group of people in a small room a 50mm will have you pushing against a wall while a 35mm or 28mm will be much better suited.

35mm or 50mm are general recommendations but it's unlikely that they will be the right choice for everyone since people shoot different things.
>>
i need your help /p/! so basically im upgrading my t3i but i don't know what to buy. im between the t6s and a6000. I mostly take photos of architecture and street photography. what do you recommend me? thanks in advance.
>>
How has the original X100 held up?

I'm after something small with good controls. With the 35mm the X-series ilc's are all pushed out of my budget. I'm also considering the Ricoh GR.

The EM5 has some decent prices on eBay AU but its a bit harder to find well priced primes that keeps it all within my budget (under $650 AUD)
>>
>>2721337
AF is a tad slow at times, battery life is garbage, feels really cheap (The A7II series doesn't have that shiny black plastic body so it's a step up), and there's no in-body image stabilization (unless you get the A7II/A7RII).
I still love my A7, but those are some points that I feel make me want to upgrade to the A7II.
>>
Any good ideas for cheap wide-angle lens for crop canon?

I was thinking about this pancake 24mm f/2.8 (reviews say it's super sharp, on the other hand it's still a pancake) but i'm still looking for alternatives.

I'd love to get something in similar price range (~$150), but i don't mind getting higher used one.
>>
File: Pentax-DA-40mm-F2.8-XS.jpg (51 KB, 787x519) Image search: [Google]
Pentax-DA-40mm-F2.8-XS.jpg
51 KB, 787x519
>>2723044
>Pancake he says
lol, pic related
>still having AF
>>
>>2723049
Canon needed space for the AF/MF switch :^)
>>
>>2723044
I have one, they're very good for the price but, with an APS-C I find it a little tight to be considered 'wide angle'. Definitely a better choice on a crop sensor than the nifty fifty for any use besides portrait.
>>
Motorcyclist here, what's my best option under £1000 for shooting 2160p24 that's reasonably compact? I currently use a Hero 4 Black with a G4 for handheld shots but the lack of zoom is frustrating. The Hero with protune represents about the level of quality I'm looking for.
>>
>>2723058
Your setup is the best you can do for your purposes. I couldn't suggest anything more compact and rugged than the GoPro.
Maybe a Sony RX100 IV for compact stills and video.
>>
Fuji 35mm 1.4 or 2? does the 35mm make sense when I already got the 27mm? would I get nearly the same shot with the 35mm that I get with the 27mm by just stepping two steps forward?
>>
>>2723059
Thanks. I wasn't so much looking for rugged (i.e. for filming from the bike) but more for filming when I'm stopped (capturing landscapes, ect). I have dry boxes so I can keep things protected and free of water but space on the bike is limited.
>>
>>2723055
How does it holds against 'normal' lenses? I mean, i fear that there are some bad sides of lens being small. I don't mind not landscape-wide focal length, right now i think more about some pleasant non-portrait-more-surroundings street photos than landscapes.

I already have nifty fifty and i love it.
>>
>>2723076
Pancake lenses are based on the Tessar optical formula which makes them really small with IQ being sharp and relatively CA free.
Never used one but I can safely say it will be a good street lens.
>>
>>2723082
So, size doesn't matter? There are no downsides of 'pancake technologies' against normal-sized lenses at all?

Guess i'll get this one, thanks. Shame there are no relatively cheap ~18mm landscape primes though.
>>
>>2723061
You have the 27mm. What is making you feel that you need to buy the 35?

Do you need f/1.4? Do you need faster quieter autofocus? Do you need less size? the comparisons between the two are absolutely obvious. We don't know how you shoot, we can't answer for you.
>>
>>2723096
I certainly do not need the 1.4 and rarely go wider than f/5.6. The faster AF would probably be my main point here as the one of the 27mm is pretty slow in my opinion. Might 35mm give me more options over the 27mm is the question here. I mean it's 53mm vs. 40.5mm and not that much of a difference. 1-2 steps closer to the subject I guess?
>>
>>2723100
>Might 35mm give me more options over the 27mm is the question here. I mean it's 53mm vs. 40.5mm and not that much of a difference. 1-2 steps closer to the subject I guess?
Don't buy a lens you might think might maybe might give you maybe some better options. If you don't need a tighter focal length, and haven't noticed a need for the lens, don't buy it. You're wasting your money.
>>
>>2722867
The canon 1.4 is very worth it. The build quality and focus ring are massively better. The manual focus ring on the 1.8 is almost unusable in comparison. The only reason to get the 1.8 is you cannot afford $300 ever. It's very worth saving for. Also, with canon, you're talking 80mm effective focal length, so slightly more useful than 75mm
>>
>>2723104
I usually use either 27mm or 50mm (adapted) and something between those two would probably be best. I'm going to Rome soon and also thought about the 18mm, which however would be a little wide for daily use.
>>
>>2723105
was ment for >>2723101
>>
>>2723105
So buy the 35 f/2 then. What is the question you are really asking?
>>
>>2723105
I have a 35/2.4 and it is very good for daily allround shooting.
>>
>>2723107
if it makes sense to buy it in terms of steps I have to get closer/more far away to/from my subject compared to the 27mm. I've never used 35mm on crop.
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 500x333
I've grown out of my 500D, I can get a 60D right now for $350, or a 7D for $425. Is it worth the extra $75 for a faster shutter and dual digic 4s?

Image Width500
Image Height333
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.