[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tips and Tricks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: one_trick_horse.jpg (206 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
one_trick_horse.jpg
206 KB, 1000x667
This is a thread to share your tips and tricks, or just stuff you found useful, be it small or large, useful or fun, that you have discovered in your photographic endeavours.

-If you have an iphone: Settings - General - Accessibility - Triple-click Home and select Invert Colors. You now have an instant negative viewer. Works very well for MF and LF, but the camera sometimes struggles with focusing 135, tho you will still get a pretty good idea. Works well for both B/W and color.

-FP-100C does not have to be opened after the required time has passed, but will self-terminate developing, so you can open it when you get home, if you feel like it. May be obvious to many, but it took some time of shooting it before I realized.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution360 dpi
Vertical Resolution360 dpi
Image Created2015:12:11 22:58:33
>>
Back button focusing. No need to have the AF try to set just to shoot or meter.
>>
>>2719799
I've never understood, what's the advantage of this over the half-shutter press?
>>
sharing online doesn't compare to showing physical prints to your family and friends
>>
>>2719827
Lock focus without locking exposure? I dunno, I don't like the feel of it, but I also spot meter and use the back exposure lock...
>>
>>2719827
you get the functionality of single focus, continuous focus, and manual focus all at once.
It also saves battery on some Nikon camera models.
>>
>>2719850
Where's a good place to get prints ? I could ask google but I don't trust it
>>
>>2720503
If you're in Canada/US, Costco. There's also a page dedicated to this in the wiki, link is in the sticky.
>>
>>2719827
You can focus on a subject and recompose without having to go into oneshot/af-s mode or change af points. It's pretty cool, but I wonder if the act of rotating the camera disrupts the focus plane. Triangles and whatnot.
>>
>>2720766
Try using AF-A 3D mode.

You can tap the button for AF-S. Or, keep it held and it'll follow your subject using AF-C while you recompose. No more triangles.

I guess it might not work too well if your camera has crappy autofocus but it works flawlessly on my D610.
>>
better tips please
>>
sunny 16 rule
>>
Tips:
Stop worrying so much about what's in your hand, and worry more about what you point it at.

Want your digital to look like film? Lower contrast, a LOT. Then work to unify the tones in the image. Film will make skin look like it's mostly one color, with lots of different tones, where digital will pick up all the different colors of the skin, and give you a "too real" look. So find your oranges, and push them together. The same with reds, greens, etc.

Slow down. Look at your frame with an eye for interest, balance, exposure, distraction, etc.

Don't use Manual unless you're shooting with strobes, or if you're shooting in some crazy light that you can't manage with your EV Comp wheel.

Remember that your final product is literally all that matters. If you have to take a 10 shot HDR, or walk through chest high water to get where you need to go, or whatever. A good reason for not having a good photo is not the same as having a good photo.

Look at photos, and take your time to think about WHY you like the things you like. Examine what's in the photo, how it's presented, and just as often, what's NOT in the photo (distracting backgrounds, sloppy wardrobe choices, bad light, etc)

Come to an understanding of the plain truth: Better equipment will NOT improve your photos. Better resolution, better sharpness, more bokeh, etc. it won't help. You need to improve your effort, your bravery, and your creativity. That is literally it. (Unless you're shooting sports, wildlife, or underwater)

keep a charged battery and an empty memory card in your pocket/bag
>>
learn photography using a fully manual film camera. Exposure, focusing, composition will then be forced onto you for taking time to take good pictures (cuz ya can't spray and pray).
>>
>>2721907
Worthless advice. Anything you can do with a full manual film camera, you can do 10 times better with a digital camera. Especially considering the week long wait to see if your photos came out okay or not.

>This one is under exposed pretty dramatically... what were my settings? uhhh... better do it... different... next time...?
>>
>>2721915
My nigga. I'm dumbfounded when these filmfags ostensibly affirm that film will get you learned. The person who cares about photography will search to find out why they are taking shit pics and try to get better. You'll get better by experience and reading about photography, not by waiting two weeks to get your exposure developed and then seeing how you missed the shot and can't go back to retake it
>>
>>2721915

Worthless advice. Anything you can do with a full manual digital camera, you can do 10 times better with a film camera. Especially considering the inherent gearfagging that tends to hamstring 99% of digital photographers

>>This one is under exposed pretty dramatically... what were my settings? uhhh... better go buy a full frame camera.. that a7ii can use better, faster settings... nah, fuck it, i'll just fix it in lightroom
>>
>>2721915
>>2722129

Film teaches you better habits and takes away all the nonsense options. Just take a few months to learn on film, then sell the gear and go to digital is the best way to LEARN photography.
>>
>>2722133
>>2722136
what

If you want to only shoot a few photos to learn to value your shots, you can do that on a digital camera. If you want to not look at image review to learn to trust yourself, you can do that on a digital camera. If you want to not use any priority modes at all, and go full manual, you can do that on a digital camera.

On film, if you fuck up a roll, you wait a while, you see your photos finally, then you try something different to correct it. With digital, you can see your mistake, and take those exact "try the solution" attempts 30 seconds later. You're not taking any more photos, you're just learning faster.

When you want to learn, you go to a class, where you have a teacher in front of you, helping you right now. Imagine if every time you wanted to learn something, you had to go take a final exam, wait three weeks to get it graded, find out you failed, look at which answers you missed, go look up the solutions on your own, then take another final exam, wait another three weeks...

There is literally no benefit to limiting yourself with film. The issue is that you don't seem to like PEOPLE, and you seem to believe that anyone who doesn't choose to artificially limit themselves the way you have are somehow worse.

Your mediocre photo isn't somehow more impressive because of all the hurdles you put in the way of getting there.
>>
>>2722158

Ask me how I know you've only ever dabbled with film in the most superficial sense.
>>
>>2721915
>week long wait
???

If anything film is easier to shoot than digital. You can overexpose the fuck out it and it's still recoverable.
>>
>>2722173
So then why would it be better at teaching you exposure? If you fuck up it doesn't matter as much, so why learn it?
>>
>>2722160
I shot film for 30 years before getting a digital camera. Ask me how I know you're under the age of 25 trying to make yourself stand out by making life harder and waiting for your reward to make up for it, rather than using the best tools, to actually create something.
>>
can you digifags stop shitting up my thread and post your tips and tricks instead?
>>
>>2722196

And you still think it takes a week to get your photos back, rather than the 45 minutes or so it takes for the negs to dry?
>>
that goes for you filmfags too
>>
>>2722259
For a first time photographer trying to figure out the exposure triangle and how to focus? Yeah.
>>
File: christmas pussy.jpg (246 KB, 823x1000) Image search: [Google]
christmas pussy.jpg
246 KB, 823x1000
/r/ing more tips and tricks

Doesn't have to be a big deal, just small stuff you picked up that you hadn't thought of before.

I just remembered a trick I learned recently, for nailing focus on LF groundglass; a reversed lens at full aperture works amazingly well as a loupe, and is super easy to use. My nifty fifty got a lot more nifty after learning that trick.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution360 dpi
Vertical Resolution360 dpi
Image Created2015:12:15 22:17:27
>>
>>2720831
Just googled. As a newbie this was immensely helpful.
>>
>>2722923

Keep in mind that it isn't foolproof for digital, as camera manufacturers can use five different standards to determine what ISO 100 actually is, and they don't always match up to film.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.