[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alex Burke you are our only hope. Nah but really, I feel l
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
Alex Burke you are our only hope.

Nah but really, I feel like this is perfect for him

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3449245957/us-national-park-service-looking-for-the-next-ansel-adams
>>
>>2718708
never understood why people think black and white photography of the outdoors makes it more epic or important or whatever.

i mean... they invented color film for a reason. its like taking a photo of all this naturally beautiful colors and then being like "naa fuck that"
>>
>>2718758
I'm sorry you're a fucking retard and don't understand the concept of archive images.
>>
>>2718774
Or even "tones"
>>
>>2718708
Alex and biff
get in here
>>
>>2718804

It was already posted in Alex's thread like three times, which is weird and sad in its own way.

The job is going to go to someone's fuckup son or nephew, because that's how government works anyway.
>>
>>2718805
b-but what about biff, thats who I'm going for
hes (imo) the best photographer here.
>>
File: hat tip.jpg (33 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hat tip.jpg
33 KB, 480x360
>>2718774
>mfw ansel adams had access to color film
>mfw you are retarded

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width480
Image Height360
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: 1449533750671.jpg (85 KB, 615x816) Image search: [Google]
1449533750671.jpg
85 KB, 615x816
>>2718758
What everyone is getting at is that black and white film is hilariously stable. I forget exactly how long it's supposed last but it is in the 75yrs+ range while some slide film starts to shift pretty rapidly. Again I forget how quickly the shifts are noticeable but fast enough to make black and white way better for archiving projects
>>
What a dick slurping faggot you must be, OP. Your entire exposure to the world of photography revolves around this mongol board. How pathetic.
>>
>>2718992 #
Yet selenium toning doubles the longevity of the negatives. And a pd/pt print has no 'expiry date'.

There were color additive processes that were stable af too, such Kodachrome, dye transfer, and the most stable one, carbon color print. But such methods are either extinct (Kodachrome) or very very laborious and restrict nowadays (the other two).
>>
>>2718774
>>2718992
Oh but digital images never degrade.
>>
>>2719022

digital images are born degenerate, m8.
>>
File: JOHNSON.gif (2 MB, 235x240) Image search: [Google]
JOHNSON.gif
2 MB, 235x240
>mfw you are all arguing over what film makes a photograph last longer
>mfw drawings last forever
>>
File: _62428393_frescopic.gif (397 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
_62428393_frescopic.gif
397 KB, 1024x576
>>2719043
>>
>>2719022
The media that the digital file is stored on starts to degrade much faster than black and white film. In addition, formats change.

We may not have machines that even read jpegs or tiffs or whatever in 100 or 200 years.
>>
>>2719054
>we may not even read machines that

You can be fairly certain that if we don't have direct backwards compatibility, the new OS's will start automatically converting jpegs to whatever the new format is. You cannot honestly believe that the technology industry is going to simply render jpegs obsolete and provide no way to recover them, not in an age where modern journalism companies are now demanding incredibly important historical photographs to be submitted in jpeg only.
>>
>>2718708
Thats hard. Ansel Adams has died quite some time ago.
They probably have to find someone else.
>>
>>2718774
not previous poster, but
you don't understand the concept of the archive.
>>
>>2719054
You win the ridiculous statement of the thread award! Congrutalions! Competition was stiff, but in the end, your post was the clear winner!
>>
>>2719054
>upload it to google drive
wow literally exists forever
>implying google will ever collapse
>implying their servers won't outlive humanity
>>
>>2719072
0/10
b&w film is the ONLY stable, archival media for photographs. period.
>>
>>2719143
Unless there's a fire, or a flood, or someone scratches it, or it gets filed incorrectly, or...

I have my digital files stored in 4 different places (more, if my cloud storage has redundant servers), with zero effort or hassle. There is no reason my photos will degrade or disappear.
>>
>>2719161
>he doesnt know what digital rot is
>>
>>2719161

they've already disappeared into a pile of mediocre shit
>>
>>2718708
I will literally cum all over my chest if Alex Burke gets this job.
>>
>>2719143
you don't understand the concept of the photographic archive.
>>
File: tWrDyPF.jpg (36 KB, 158x199) Image search: [Google]
tWrDyPF.jpg
36 KB, 158x199
>tfw they will do background checks and see this thread
>tfw alex or biff will never get this job because they go on a pedo site
>>
>>2719161
Keep believing that retard
>>2719255
you literally have no argument? are you just shitposting?
>>
>>2719365
Speaking of having no argument...
>>
>>2719365
you don't understand the concept of shitposting.
>>
>>2718708
I wonder how many thousand applications they'll get from 19-year-olds with rebels and lots of Facebook Likes
>>
Alex pls do this!
>>
>>2719050
the irony of that is how the fucked up version is now more iconic than the original, lol.
>>
>>2719543
>the fucked up version

spotted the plebe.
>>
>>2719517

Are you implying that you're somehow better?
>>
>>2719649
he implied that exactly nowhere.

and if that hurt your feelings, there's probably a good reason it did.
>>
This has been a ridiculous week to be a large format photographer. I've gotten at least 20 emails and messages about this job posting and now there's a thread with my name in it.

Yeah sure I decided I would apply but felt quite silly while doing it because the job is hardly related to what I do. Social media instantly romanticized this job by calling it the next Ansel Adams which is a joke. If anyone read the questionnaire they would have seen that 10% of the questions were about large format photography and the rest were all about your experience with creating, storing, transporting, and archiving historical images to the standards of the library of congress and working with local and federal offices to manage and preserve historical documents. In other words I had to answer "no experience" to at least 80% of the questions. This job will go to someone that has extensive knowledge in historical archival procedures that can also fiddle with a field camera.

I bet they were expecting no more than a handful of applicants. I feel sorry for the poor hiring officer that will have to sort through ten thousand applications now. Good work petapixel, dpreview, buzzfeed, etc, you've done it again...
>>
>inb4 Peter Lik wins it
>>
>>2719686

It was implicit when he singled out that one demographic of photographers out of all the others.

My feelings are fine, by the way, but thanks for asking.
>>
>>2719687
The only vague similarity to Ansel Adams is that "large format photography" is in the job description. But hey, why would bother fact checking when they have exaggeration and hype? :^)
>>
>>2719366
>>2719501
So you still have no clue about what constitutes archival?

Stop posting unless you have an actual rebuttal you fucking retard.
>>
>>2719687
I applied, and luckily I've done some historical preservation/documentation, so I might technically have a somewhat better chance. However, I've heard of ex-Army photographers and other older guys that have worked in that field applying, so probably there's no way either of us have a chance, especially with the Vet preference.
>>
>>2719954

You've got literally no chance.
>>
>>2719959
You literally have no idea whether I do or not. Fuck off.
>>
>>2719964

Wow, the instant butthurt tells me that you actually hold some seed of hope in your heart that you'll actually get this job.

I don't have to know literally anything about you (though I'm sure you're "binders fulla 4x5" guy) to tell you that you won't get the job, and never had a chance. Cush-ass government jobs always go to cronies. Always. They listed it as a bureaucratic formality, but you can rest assured that the position was filled long ago.

Keep being defensive tho.
>>
>>2719979
lol. you literally have no idea, but you're just pushing the cronyism bullshit. furthermore, I also happen to know that this job was opened once before but was not filled due to either budget concerns or lack of qualified applicants. long story short, you're wrong, so get over it. I doubt I'll get the job due to a few factors, most notably not being a Vet, but I do think it possible that I get a call for an interview.
>>
>>2719988
>but I do think it possible that I get a call for an interview.

let me know when that happens. ;)
>>
>>2719993
k bro.
at least I'm putting myself out there, and frankly I have the highest chance of anyone on this board, so whatever.
>>
>>2719979
>it's an "anon makes an armchair-expert post that reveals how jaded and ignorant he really is" post
>>
>>2719994

I wish the best for you. I really do. I want you to come back and prove me wrong and wipe that smug grin right off my greasy little face.

But you won't, and I also would hate for you to get your hopes up.

Also,

>and frankly I have the highest chance of anyone on this board

has to be one of the cringiest things i've read around here in months.
>>
>>2720001
>has to be one of the cringiest things i've read around here in months.
I'm not sure why you are so butthurt.
It's actually true, but no it's not really saying much since most of this board is retarded rabal-toting high schoolers.
>>
>>2720001
>But you won't, and I also would hate for you to get your hopes up.
Oh, and one more thing. Yeah, you'd hate for that to happen - you'd rather everyone be depressed and hopeless like you, right? Fuck you. Have fun in your little world of sadness.
>>
>>2720001
>has to be one of the cringiest things i've read around here in months.
He applied, so he has more of a chance than you, fuck face. Lighten up and stop being such a pessimistic bitch.
>>
File: 1446436347669.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1446436347669.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
ITT: People applying for jobs who don't know how to fill out application forms.

You poor souls, you could have the job if you used competencies close to what they were asking and met the minimum requirements. A lot of government and civil service jobs list things that are completely flexible, even when they mark it as essential.
>>
>>2719687
There was another LF aerial job that was listed a few months back that was a similar thing.... Really just looking for an ex military archivist who can use a field camera as you said.

Good luck anyways tho!
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.