[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
High ISO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_0796.jpg (5 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0796.jpg
5 MB, 5184x3456
What does /p/ think of using high ISO?
>pic related, 550D at ISO12800
Got this picture just before for you guys.
General opinions and ISO related shit ITT

>inb4 pic not scaled
Just so you can see the 550D noise performance.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS Kiss X4
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:12:06 20:27:38
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating12800
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2716084
I'd rather have a grainy photo of what I want than no photo / a very blurry photo
>>
>>2716084
>What does /p/ think of using large aperture?
>pic related, 550D at f/3.5
>Got this picture just before for you guys.
>General opinions and aperture related shit ITT

Sensitivity is just another variable that should be manipulated to how you want your pictures to turn out.

If you're interested in using super high ISO's that gearfags dare not think about without stroking an A7s, look at Peter van Agtmael's work from Iraq and Afghanistan.
>>
>>2716093
Grain is not the same as noise.
>>
>>2716112
Not him but photo applies to film
And I hear people describe noise as grain all the time, I know its technically wrong but I know what they mean.
>>
File: _MG_0174.jpg (115 KB, 735x1000) Image search: [Google]
_MG_0174.jpg
115 KB, 735x1000
I don't mind the results I get with it.

Here's a badly framed shot I took that shows the noise isn't too overpowering. It helps a huge amount to have a camera that deals with high iso well.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Image Width735
Image Height1000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:12:10 14:24:36
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/3.2
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/3.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width735
Image Height1000
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
ugh
>>
having the D750 which handles ISO so well gives me a ton of options, technically and compositionally

love that fuckin camera
>>
I went from a T3i to a 6D, and jesus mother fuck the ISO performance is (no pun intended) night and day.
It's a seriously huge difference, a lot more than I expected. There was a lot of chromatic noise in the rebel, but that's completely gone in the 6D. And twice the max as the 5DII, not sure bout the mark III.
I can snap at 6400 all day and it's really minimal quality loss.
>>
>>2718784

I went from my 450d which according to Wikipedia is a EOS Rebel XSi to a 6d and I'll never regret it. The 450d was straight up a piece of shit unless everything was perfectly lit.
>>
I ordered a Nikon d3200 on sale (it's like 2 lenses and the body for ~400 on amazon is that good?), did I make a good choice or should I return it and get something else
>>
File: FB_IMG_1449763487804.jpg (54 KB, 1087x720) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1449763487804.jpg
54 KB, 1087x720
Pentax K-5. ISO 6400 (12800?), 13mm f/2.8, 1/2s.

Would have preferred a tripod, but I didn't have one with me. Better to have a picture than no picture at all.

Well, except for the horrible noise which sometimes doesn't work out, making you resort to aggressive noise reduction and/or a non-HD final picture.

Sometimes I just go high ISO cuz carrying tripods make me lazy.
>>
>>2716084
It depends on what the final product is going to be.

If I know I'm going to make the finish photo small I don't mind taking a higher iso as re-sizing smaller makes noise disappear.

If I need a large photo for post editing purposes that I would try to either increase aperture and lower shutter speed.

Its always just a balance to find for a picture.
>>
>>2716084
i use to mask the noise with agray/white layer run through ps' noise filter and some gaussian blur.
>>
File: IMG_7685.jpg (426 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7685.jpg
426 KB, 1000x665
ISO 1600, highest I can go on my camera
looks surprisingly decent after some very mild noise reduction
I usually avoid going above 400 but decided to give 1600 a go

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 350D DIGITAL
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.10
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:12:12 00:16:31
Exposure Time1/8 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Focal Length18.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
>>
>>2719004
When I'm too lazy to carry a tripod I keep a long loop of string in my pocket. Loop one end under your foot and hold the other end in your right hand/loop it around a finger. Gently pull the string taut to stabilize.

It's not perfect, but it's much better than nothing when you don't have a tripod on hand.
>>
>>2719004
Hmmm, I like this. Noise and all. I think I am going to try out deliberately noisy photography for a bit and see if I can get tumblr spergs to circle jerk my shit.
>>
File: _MG_2860_2.jpg (169 KB, 1200x748) Image search: [Google]
_MG_2860_2.jpg
169 KB, 1200x748
>>2719800
You can have "extended" 3200, there is a hack for that (3200 is rarely useful because of noise but it also features other functions like intervalometer or smaller iso steps). I had 350d and this hack was a good thing to have.

I did this one on 350d-1600. 350d sensor was pretty alright for low-light photos, i'm willing to say that in most situations it was "good enough" in entire ISO range - up to 1600.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 350D DIGITAL
Camera SoftwareShotwell 0.20.2
Lens Size18.00 - 55.00 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware 1.0.3
Owner Nameunknown
Serial Number1230772069
Image OrientationLeft-Hand, Bottom
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time30 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length18.00 mm
Image Width3453
Image Height2151
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
SharpnessNormal
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeManual
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed288
Camera Actuations957022252
Color Matrix0
>>
>>2716084
>What does /p/ think of using high ISO?
Use it when you need it, but the light isn't going to be very good, so your photo had better have a story.
>>
Noise is added to your photo in three stages: Sensor noise, signal gain (ISO) and software noise. ISO works like gain on a microphone, does not improve signal-to-noise ratio but also raises the noise floor. Two of these stages occur in-camera.

Lens sharpness (measured in MTF) matters less than adequate shutter speed to compensate for your hand not being steady, and to freeze motion of the subject when desired.

Therefore, in terms of the cam: Have one that handles noise well, don't up the gain (ISO) unnecessarily, and use an adequate shutter speed combined with a DAMN steady hand.

Most dSLRs today handle ISO well, even my shitty D3200. So get the above right. You won't see notable loss of ISO detail on that camera until ISO 6400 or HI 1. ISO 3200 if you are picky.

It's not a big deal, especially not if you remove the chroma noise and use SPECIALIZED noise reduction plugins like Neat Image or NoiseNinja.

The MTF curve (used to measure lens sharpness) of an image improves when you use software sharpening, but so does noise as software gain. So not only is ISO not a big deal, you can improve the lens sharpness by mastering smart sharpening techniques in, say, Photoshop (NOT Lightroom) and dominating advanced settings for specialized noise reduction software. It will be monochrome noise that is only slightly noticeable and not EVER worth worrying about unless you are printing a 24 MP (6000x4000px) picture taken in a nearly-black environment as a print 60 inches on the long end (100 PPI).

Aesthetically, there is nearly nothing to worry about if your camera technique and your sharpening/noise software technique is good. We are all used to seeing noise both in old photos, current magazines, as an aesthetic effect, and even in some cinematic movies. It doesn't bother anyone but autists.

Enjoy shooting, mate :)
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.