[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fake colored lighting and cheap battery operated fog/smoke machines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
Hi /p/, I'm a noob to this hobby and I've been taking photos of people and scenery for a while now. I want to move forward and try my hand at effects and fake light.

How do you get colored lighting effects like the pic I uploaded and which kind of light equipment I should buy? Does anyone know where to find cheap and portable fog machines? Every cheap fog machine I have seen needs to be plugged and the battery ones are in the €1000+ range.

Any help towards the right direction or suggestions would be much appreciated.
>>
>>2714415
>How do you get colored lighting effects like the pic I uploaded
Shoot a nice sharp picture with a good camera and good illumination from speedlights, then do digital post with photoshop or some other editor.

The background with the gradient might even be shopped into the image.
>>
>>2714415
> Does anyone know where to find cheap and portable fog machines?
Also, here: Dry ice. Not technically a machine, of course, but it is fairly portable and doesn't need a power plug.

Alternatively, try ultrasonic foggers like for fountains.

If you want portable power, use a like honda generator and power your fog machine - forget batteries for bigger appliances, they'll be way too heavy overall
>>
>>2714438

I dont know how to use PS but I can try your suggestion. Thanks for the input!

>>2714441

Is there a way to change the color of the dry ice?
>>
>>2714452
> Is there a way to change the color of the dry ice?
Probably if you find some chemist. Never done that, though.

But even in the picture the fog itself is white... like water fog typically is.
>>
Ugh.
A lot of that picture was processed to hell and back.
The blue light rays? post. the skin? post. The fog looks like it's been added in post too, must be just some sort of asset. and rather bad job compositing them together.
there is lightning, but nothing colored on the shot, regular plain white lights there.
>>
>>2714453

So basically all I can do is just let the lighting lend the fog some of it's hue?

>>2714458

I see. being the noob I am, I simply assumed that there were lamps that emitted those kind of lights similar to those you see in concerts and in movies.
>>
>>2714461
>So basically all I can do is just let the lighting lend the fog some of it's hue?
Yes. Or you can even just make it red in photoshop or whatever editor you like. I think this is maybe most likely even how it was done here... but it's always a little difficult to be sure.
>>
>>2714415
colored light effects like pictured are done with color gels http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FSE0FI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00
What lights to purchase is a separate and rather long discussion. Depending on your budget and seriousness Alienbees are ridiculously good and if you live in a big city can often be nabbed and CL for good prices. Yongnuo flashes are also quite cheap but serve a somewhat different purpose. Really it comes down to your needs.

There's two main ways that fog is made for photoshoots, dry ice and foggers. For the kind of work you're talking about a fogger will be most useful. You are unfortunately not going to find a cheap battery operated option. Plan on using extension cords. You can do this to a car but recycle times will be much much slower if the car outlet can even handle it.
>>
>>2714464
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FSE0FI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Can I take them with me outdoors or do they only work with an available extension cord?

I'm planning to use the foggers in a snowy forest area so extension cord are out of the question. I guess I will have to make do with dry ice or bring some can and burn stuff in it to get smoke.
>>
>>2714464
>colored light effects like pictured are done with color gels
I really kinda think it was digital post. Light probably wouldn't work like that if it were color gels only.
>>
File: 20140427-_MG_0022.jpg (271 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
20140427-_MG_0022.jpg
271 KB, 900x600
>>2714467
dry ice will work like complete shit in cold conditions like that and mostly stays along the ground anyway

Yonguos are battery operated and alienbees can be batter operated. Paul C Buff (who makes alienbees) also makes a vagabond power supply for them.

>>2714468
yeah okay the leg area is pretty terrible. It's pretty effortless with gels, even when you're lazy. Image related

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Macintosh)
PhotographerReagan Davis Pufall
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width5616
Image Height3744
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2015:12:03 12:23:00
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.67 m
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length45.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width900
Image Height600
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2714477

I have those Yonguos as an attachment to my Speedlight so they can be portable and work without needing to be attached to my camera. Are those things in the link you gave me something to be attached to my light source or will it be a light source on it's own?

Sorry for super noob. This is the first time I am faced with this and I have no one to talk to about things like this.
>>
>>2714477
>It's pretty effortless with gels, even when you're lazy. Image related
Agreed, They're very viable.

A set of 36 different colors of portable speedlight - sized gels is $6.5 in China, with shipping, and you clearly save on post *if* you can easily use them.
>>
>>2714480
they're sheets of transparent plastic each about a foot in size. You can get much smaller ones for speedlights and literally just tape them on. It used be really common to order sample packs and just use those for speedlights.
>>
>>2714484
>You can get much smaller ones for speedlights and literally just tape them on.
Or you can get fancy for like $15.

Duct tape it is for me, though.

By the way, the cheapest set I found on a glance is 12 for $1.37 shipped:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-pcs-Flash-Color-Lighting-Gel-Pop-Up-Filter-Universal-Speedlite-Color-Filter-Kit-For-Canon/32470727644.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_6_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_1
>>
>>2714415
Don't go for this look, man. I shoot cosplay sometimes and I am bored to death to see this blue/red gel look. It is way too overdone. I like contrast and complimentary colors but this is just a bad way of doing it.
The fog is pretty standard post work in cosplay.You don't need fog machines for this faint fog. The lights most likely gels like everyone said, again, red/blue gels is a cosplay standard, don't go for it.
>>
>>2714491
>The lights most likely gels like everyone said
Nope, I said it was most likely digital post.

Anon in >>2714477 kinda agreed, at least for the leg area.

My guess is that the model was shot with just white light, actually, and that it's probably all digital post... but I can't be certain.
>>
>>2714415
Flash and gels
>>
>>2714493
... And simply get smoke grenades
>>
>>2714484

Oooh! Thanks for the tip!

>>2714489

Thank you for the link!

>>2714491

I see. They look kind of pretty though. I was thinking of using them for a creepy/horror themed photoshoot for practice. What do you suggest then? Any advices for a noob like me? I would really appreciate any help/advice you can give me at this point and I am very open to ideas.
>>
>>2714495

Wont those be more expensive in the long run?
>>
>>2714492
If you were doing everything digital, why would you put a red spot under the towel in bot left of the image? Looks like a backlit gel speedlite to me. Even though the picture was post processed like fucking hell I don't believe someone would add that distracting point under there digitally. If you check his other work, he uses a lot of backlight.
http://kirahokuten.deviantart.com/art/Evangelion-Rei-Ayanami-567870169
>>
>>2714505
Why wouldn't it be there if it was shot white and then tinted red digitally?

I'm not saying speedlights weren't used - they were.

[Also that makes it looks even more like the background was shopped in under the towel and stuff she's sitting on... if that too isn't shopped.]
>>
File: hq_by_joviclaire-d99j0wm.jpg (499 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
hq_by_joviclaire-d99j0wm.jpg
499 KB, 600x900
Are the colors in this one post processed, too?

How do you identify a post processed light effect and an on the set lighting?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 7D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width3456
Image Height5184
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2015:09:14 11:25:45
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/5.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width600
Image Height900
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
The smoke in OP looks like it was done in Photoshop. Source - have worked with smoke machines, hazers & low foggers.
>>
>>2714534

NEAT! Do you know of a cheap portable machine for smoke/fog/haze?
>>
>>2714550
No, sorry. Everything I've worked with has been expensive pro stuff (Martin/Jem, etc.)
>>
>>2714516
Not at all sure. But in that one I see a decent chance that it might have been done with flash gels.
>>
>>2714550
Halloween/Party supply stores. Maybe check craigslist to see if anyone is unloading their fog machines now that Halloween is over.

On one film project, a friend used an insect fogger with mineral spirits. Though this was out in the woods, don't think it would be too good in an indoor studio.
>>
>>2714415
Why is the photo sharp around hey gave and torso and pixellated to oblivion under the chair?

That should be your first clue it's not all in-camera.
>>
>>2714452
Dye the water when you freeze it and the fog should be the color of the dye.
>>
>>2714489
Wouldn't something like this throw a red hue on the subject if you shoot the flash right at them?
>>
>>2714464
This. Though OP's photo may or may not have been done with gels. With a little practice it gets easy, and you can control direction with a grid or even a strategically placed reflector.
>>
>>2715181
that's the point, anon.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.