[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I attempted a bit of product photography. How did I do, /p/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: Xocoveza.jpg (502 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
Xocoveza.jpg
502 KB, 2048x1365
I attempted a bit of product photography. How did I do, /p/?
>>
>>2714281
I understand there is a christmas theme to the shoot, however I find the background very distracting. Perhaps shooting the drinks in a studio with some mistletoe or something may have been a better approach to it but I'm not sure.
>>
seconding, backgrounds steals the attention, even if out of focus. it's way too busy.
your product is also quite in the dark, needs much more light on it. what's bright attracts the eye, and in here, your background is brighter.

by all product photography standards, you did bad. I kinda like your approach on colors though.
>>
File: cerveza.jpg (231 KB, 900x819) Image search: [Google]
cerveza.jpg
231 KB, 900x819
has lots of errors, but you got the mood right so youre well started. thats a key element.

box looks unimpresive. id put it centered, shot from an angle, and with more separation from background. aka. smoother bokeh.. id do this using telephoto from a corner (get up a chair) or some cool wide angle big aperture lens. also use back lightning on the subject to give it shape, right now its an ugly shadowy bulk. subject is underexposed, needs a direct light source too. also white balance, looks tungsten as fuck.

post corrected version anon.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:12:03 09:40:52
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width900
Image Height819
>>
>>2714281
>>2714358
The box has very busy details, the busy background is stealing the focus, always leading my eyes away from the product.
Try the same box with a much more even light background with one single tree branch, maybe a couple of ornaments.
The main thing is to keep the focus on the product details.
>>
>>2714281
Badly. I don't even shoot photography but I can see your photo is bad. Too much emphasis on the background, too little focus on the product, no clear theme except "X-mas motherfucker", the name, logo and product label graphics are overshadowed by the background, etc. You'd do better if the sixpack was wrapped in wrapping paper partially ripped open revealing the name and logo with one of the bottles missing or open laying under a christmas tree. Then you'd have a well integrated theme, an element of curiosity with product placement and an idea you can sell to a customer "On Christmas buy Stone Xocoveza beer."
>>
>>2714281
Your product is the part of the photo you've given the least amount of attention to. It's dramatically under exposed, and the light that does fall on it is flat and boring. The rest of your scene is a huge distraction. You would not be hired.
>>
File: xoco-2.jpg (612 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
xoco-2.jpg
612 KB, 1000x667
Hey /p/als, OP here. Thanks for the replies, observations, and criticism. As I set up the picture I did focus too much on the background and failed to realize that the six-pack itself was underexposed and only a small part of the frame. Even if the background is out of focus there are still a lot of distracting elements and at the moment the only way I can remedy that is by cropping out some of the more distracting elements near the top left corner.

Here's my reattempt - I did the cropping, muted the background a bit, decreased contrast, increased exposure on the beer, and reduced the luminance of reds (since that's mostly in the decorations in the background).

What do you think this time?

Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
>>
>>2714578

That's literally identical to the first one.

Did you even read the comments?
>>
>>2714578
I would say bring brightness of product down a little bit, it looks unnatural
>>
File: xoco-3.jpg (600 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
xoco-3.jpg
600 KB, 1000x667
>>2714630
Check your monitor, definitely not the same.

>>2714634
How's this?

Horizontal Resolution94 dpcm
Vertical Resolution94 dpcm
>>
>>2714655
Try using a lens with much less distracting bokeh.
>>
>>2714655
>>2714578
it's not about the post-process, re-shoot with proper light on the product, and a less distracting background.
>>
looks like some hipster beer
>>
>>2714655

>Check your monitor, definitely not the same.

It's not my fucking monitor that's the same photo.

It's the photo itself that's the problem, not the processing.
>>
Maybe try increasing the distance between the beer and the tree? The lens doesn't seem to be blurring it enough and it's super distracting.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.