[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm pretty new to photography, I have a Canon Powershot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20151115_062002.jpg (4 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151115_062002.jpg
4 MB, 4608x3456
I'm pretty new to photography, I have a Canon Powershot SX520 (I know, kinda on the cheap side of things) I was thinking about getting filters, but I had questions that I didint know where else to ask. First, is it worth it to buy filters? Second are there specific filters for each camera or do they all work for all. I took this pic a few months ago. Settings on auto I think because I had gotten the camera two days prier so I was still figuring things out. (First camera that wasn't like a $50 Kodak)

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot SX520 HS
Equipment MakeCanon
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Maximum Lens Aperturef/6.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2015:11:15 06:20:16
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Exposure Time1/500 sec
ISO Speed Rating200
F-Numberf/6.0
Lens Aperturef/6.0
Color Space InformationsRGB
Metering ModePattern
Exposure Bias0 EV
Image Height3456
Image Width4608
Focal Length180.60 mm
Scene Capture TypeStandard
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
RenderingNormal
White BalanceAuto
Exposure ModeAuto
Image Number100-0152
>>
I have a better version of this, but not on my phone right now
>>
Zero : there are many things much more important than filters, and you don't seem to even know what sort of filter you're looking for. I wouldn't recommend you to even bother with that, yet.

1: depends
2: no, it's dependent on the lens diameter.
>>
I was thinking just the simple UV, maybe even a macro cause sometimes I like to try to do small things just can never do it
>>
>>2713558
Also just the normal ones, like polarizer as well
>>
Bump, want more then one opinion. Not to say the one is bad.
>>
You absolutely don't need filters. Just go and shoot with what you have.
>>
So is everyone's general consensus that people just shouldn't get them?
>>
And I know I don't NEED them, but they could help make somthing look better then what it would otherwise
>>
>>2713546

polarized is useful, others are probably a waste
>>
>>2713888
No.

If you want your photographs to look better, you need two things: (1) Learn how to take fucking pictures. I don't mean learn how to click a button, I mean learn the basics of photography. Learn exposure. Learn aperture. Learn shutter speed. Learn ISO. Learn the basics of how it all works. A filter will not correct shitty technique. It'll just add a shitty filter on top of poor technique. (2) Take pictures of interesting things. Content is king. A filter will not make a boring thing un-boring. It'll just be a boring thing with a shitty filter.
>>
>>2713899
Never thought it would, it doesn't make something from awful to great. It could however make something that's already good, just a little bit better, little somthing extra.
>>
>>2713546
> Second are there specific filters for each camera or do they all work for all.
The filter part works with all, but you will usually require the right size for your lens' filter threading diameter.

> First, is it worth it to buy filters?
Apart from polarizers and maybe ND filters, you can do basically everything in digital post.
>>
>>2713913
Thanks for the help, so I'm thinking just the polarizer then
>>
>>2713908
If you don't know why you might need a filter or what filter you might need, then you're not at the point in learning where you should be fucking around with them. It'll only distract you from figuring out the basics.

Are there some times where filters are helpful? Sure. CPL's are great when needed. A red filter is good in certain circumstances.

But if you learn that now, you're just going to go out and try to get filters and use them just to use them. That's bassackwards. (BTW, has anybody here heard from Bass in a while?) Eventually, if you keep practicing, you will run up against limitations. When you identify a limitation, then you can go searching for the solution. THEN you might find that you need a filter. That's how you learn.
>>
fuck filters. there are times when you can make good use of them but you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

Learn about the playoff between ISO, shutter speed, and aperture.
If you're not comfortable with manual shooting yet, work your way up to it with aperture priority and shutter priority.
Learn to manually adjust white balance.
Learn how to use the flash.

Basically, learn every single thing your camera before you stick extra bits on it.
And when you do stick extra bits on it, a flash is a priority.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.