[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you become a war photographer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 130830220517.jpg (108 KB, 980x552) Image search: [Google]
130830220517.jpg
108 KB, 980x552
Apart form the obvious danger, what is stopping me (or you) going to a warzone and taking pictures and selling them to an agency or on a freelance basis?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
PhotographerEddie Adams
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width3000
Image Height2163
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2013:08:30 19:49:58
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1280
Image Height720
>>
The fact that I don't want to be a war photographer.
>>
>>2710763
>no guarantee of a reliable internet connection or power source
>not with any paper or news agency so no guarantee of income
>bad lungs (just me)
>don't speak anything middle eastern languages
>no connections there
>no guarantee of making it back alive
>worrying friends and family
>>
It'll be hard to verify your work without extensive checks.
>>
>>2710763
I would fucking love to do it but I have family.
>>
File: McCullin_documentary[1].jpg (21 KB, 258x388) Image search: [Google]
McCullin_documentary[1].jpg
21 KB, 258x388
>>2710763
I'm actually interested too
I have my military service coming up (unless I bullshit my way out of it) and it would seem like a good place to get started with it
it's not like I have any family or friends to worry about me
also you guys should check out McCullin, a pretty powerful documentary
>>
>>2710798

the unedited pics would speak for themselves, no?
A picture of a carbomb blast in the centre of Beirut would surely be evident that it's real...no?
>>
Visa and money are the two big things you'd need. Visa to get you into the country of your choice, money to bribe people into helping you with

Then you'd also need connections, accreditation, and some experience. Because without those you are just some dumb tourist on a holiday from hell.

The bright orange jumpsuit for your souvenir beheading video, however, is free of charge.
>>
>>2710816
>_____________, no?
Stop that shit, you fucking mongoloid.
>>
Like you, i want to start a carrear as a war photographer. I have the good luck (or not too good) of live in country with a low intensity war (Colombia). I live in a kind of dangerous city call Cali so i have seen a lot of dead people....

My biggest problem are that i have family and i´m colombian, so if a go to a conflict zone probably the national army is going to put in a jail for some days...

My recommendations is to start in a conflict country without a big war. For example you can go to Central America or Mexico.
>>
>>2710859
did he butt him with the gun or did he just shoot that kid?
>>
>>2710859
I would go to protests and riots to start with, take a mask and a helmet that has PRESS on it.

I'm heading to a protest in Edinburgh on Saturday the 28th of November and even though its gonna be peaceful, I'm not taking any chances.

Build a portfolio and go out to any newspapers in the area (Easier with a motorbike/car) and try and freelance for them. I do work for a local newspaper.

Also, get into a union like the NPPA or another one in your country (I'm from Scotland, so I'm a member of NUJ (National Union of Journalists) They are great for if shit hits the fan).

For traveling with gear I say travel light, I dont even use a camera rucksack for my assignments so just stick with an ordinary backpack, rougher areas can be hostile so be on alert.

If you want some pointers, even though I'm no war photographer, let me know
>>
Mostly the fact that US troops are known to "disappear" journalists in warzones.
They don't want another 'nam, where people suddenly start caring because photographers made art of all the murders.
>>
I'd love to do this, also. My main problem is a sense of paranoia. I've been to semi-dangerous places and events, and it's not hard to get contacts. My problem is a fear of using those contacts. For example, go to an event where a militia is showing up, or a rally of separatists, they give you phone numbers, facebooks and emails.

But what happens if you contact them? You may be putting yourself at risk.
>>
>>2710763
Combat photographer. *

Don't embed. That's all the advice I've got.
>>
>>2710763
>>2710804
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06g7sk2/hardtalk-don-mccullin-photographer
>>
Where can I go to find out what to include in a portfolio? I've got a few photos of different events I could include, but I don't know what else I should put in or in what order. Is it just a scrap book like a photo album?
>>
>>2711261
Wut?

>pack rabal
>buy ticket to Istanbul
>???
>profit

Make sure you tell your Mum you love her before boarding the plane.
>>
File: 37121.jpg (2 MB, 2415x3239) Image search: [Google]
37121.jpg
2 MB, 2415x3239
I'd love to go to countries like Afghanistan and photograph the people, but I'm afraid of getting killed or kidnapped

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
PhotographerSteve McCurry
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width2422
Image Height3239
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2009:10:08 16:58:55
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2415
Image Height3239
>>
the era of photojournalism is dead.
your work will be ignored in favor of on-the-spot cell phone footage
>>
>>2711605
It's not that bad, just don't forget to bring your tampons.
>>
>>2710950
This and its just not the same anymore, to paraphrase mcullin its people shooting snipers through the walls. Attaching yourself with the military means censorship.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.