[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Amateur Journalism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: press-card-generic1.gif (124 KB, 1968x1112) Image search: [Google]
press-card-generic1.gif
124 KB, 1968x1112
I had a few questions about journalism. I'd love to do this on my off time for events that are happening near me, and would even do it for next to no money or even free, I just really love photographing rallies and events.

But I have a few questions:

>press cards
>requirements

Some of the rallies I go to, I don't want to be associated with, and if I have a press pass I'll stand out (in case my face shows up in the paper). If I go to an event, I'd like a press pass, but have no idea how to go about getting one, what one entitles me to, or if it's legal to print a bullshit generic one like in pic related.

What sorts of requirements would I need, a degree or any relevant college experience, or just a camera? I just want to photograph and share, not necessarily write opinion pieces or articles.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>2710132
>and would even do it for next to no money or even free
this is why people can't make a living in photography. any amateur with a camera thinks he's good enough and on top of that tells a multimillion dollar media company he'll work for fucking free *becauz itz fun XDDD*
>>
>>2710155
This.
>>
>>2710155
>>2710169

Maybe you two retards are just shit at photography and can't outshoot someone willing to do it for free. That's your own fault.
>>
You get paid what you're work is worth and you want to shoot for free. That's telling the whole world something about your abilities.
>>
>>2710171
yes because i've often thought to myself "hmmm i really want to take my photos and give them to newspapers". that's fairly ridiculous but here are my thoughts as to why op thinks this way.

1. he thinks it'll give an air of legitimacy to his "work".
2. he thinks he'll impress someone when he goes on and on at a bar or party about how he has press credentials and then whips out the little badge he carries everywhere.
3. he wants to use the press credentials to gain access to events normally excluded from the public, backstage at a local show etc. to impress whoever.
4. he's read spider-man his whole life and thinks he's a real life peter parker and wants to be stringer to emulate his comic book hero.
>>
>>2710132
>but have no idea how to go about getting one

A legit press pass that is actually recognised by people isn't something that you can just buy or apply for online. You don't necessarily need to have particular qualifications, but you will almost certainly need to prove that you earn a substantial proportion of your income via press work, by being able to present a portfolio of published press work.

It sounds like you want to work freelance, which means either you'll have to build up your portfolio by exclusively shooting events that don't require a pass to access, or you'll have to sign up with an agency that will gain you access to events via their weight/permissions. Of course such an agency will probably require you to have already covered a decent number of events that don't need a pass anyway.

tl;dr - this isn't something you can just acquire overnight, it's the result of months or years of dedication to the area.
>>
>>2710171
Idiot. The point isn't that nobody can outshoot OP, the amateur. The point is that in a world where newspapers are firing their entire photography staffs and handing reporters the newest iPhones, doing photojournalistic work in the capacity of a professional for free directly harms the industry. If a new plumbing company opened up in your town and worked for free, other plumbers would lose jobs, even if none of the plumbers from Free Plumbing Co. knew what potable water was.
>>
>>2710171
/p/hag
>>
>>2710132

>Likes going to rallies

So you like wasting your time, do you?

Get a job. Succeed at life.
>>
>>2710216
this is /p/, not /pol/
>>
>>2710262

>Amateur journalism thread

Doesn't exactly sound like /p/ to me...
>>
>>2710266
/p/hotojournalism, I couldn't write well if I tried.

So much negativity, didn't mean to piss you guys off. Honestly, I don't have much time or many people to brag to at parties. With work and college, I can go to only a couple of places worthy of photographing every few months, and from what I've heard people don't sell their photos for much on stock image sites. I've heard only a few dollars for photo, and figured that if I'd have access to events and information (people emailing me on my off days and telling me to be at a certain places), it would be a decent exchange for access and credentials. It's mostly just an interest in learning more about the local political scene, so it's a mutual hobby benefit.

Pull your panties out of your asses.
>>
>>2710271

It's your stereotypical naïveté that's so bothersome, Anon.

>learning more about the local political scene

From rallies? Do you know who go to rallies, Anon? Stupid college kids with no life experience. The chronically unemployed. Paid union members who don't give a fuck. Fake social movements paid for by billionaires like George Soros.

Wanna ACTUALLY find something out, rather than just jerking off? Hang out with your supposed enemy. You'll gain some perspective. Also, there will be things to photograph there too.
>>
>>2710302
Sounds like you're the only one encapsulated by your own locale, your verbally voracious vapid cunt.
>>
Most events, just show up with gear and *poof* instant photojournalist. Nobody cares to stop you and it just makes them look good.

For the rest, you just have to do a little recon to figure out who issues the passes. Be not-a-jerk and maybe show some work and you're in.

Instant photojournalist pro.
>>
>>2710271
Massive faggot.
>>
>>2710171
I dont work for free, but yea... the 100k worth of equipment i have, i should use it for free? And the 12 to 24 hours of prep work it takes for a shoot, i should do that for free too? And the models, mua, designers, jewelry, stylists, assistants... all free too? The 24 hours of image selection and touch ups, i should do that for free too? Transportation and scouting? Yea... i think ill do this all for free.
>>
>>2710132
Currently a photographer for my universities newspaper. I can tell you right now, walking around with a stupid fucking press pass around your neck blows. I always take it off and put it in my pocket whenever I can although most of the time you cant because then shit head security will walk up and ask who the fuck you are and why you are taking photos.

BUT on the other hand, it is great experience and lots of fun covering events in the university as well as the nearby area including concerts and such.

I do not get paid, but that is because I'm a student and I don't think my skill level is high enough to get paid anyway. I believe I'm still in the learning stage. Plus, no one else at the paper gets paid either, all "volunteer" based.

Now, if I was to pursue photojournalism then I would defenitely not work for fucking free. You obviously are saying that because you too do not think you are good enough to get paid which is ok. Go to your local small time paper, doesn't matter how shitty as long as they give you jobs and keep taking them and learning. Then, after a while, maybe you will have enough experience and enough work to show other better paper and keep working your way up.

I don't think you will ever make a career out of this and you seem to already have a primary income from something so I'd honestly say just keep photography as a hobby unless you are dead serious about this shit.
>>
>>2711617
>100k worth of equipment
wat
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.