[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this photo bad? I took it a few months ago at J. Tree. I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Edit2.jpg (1 MB, 4608x2592) Image search: [Google]
Edit2.jpg
1 MB, 4608x2592
Is this photo bad? I took it a few months ago at J. Tree. I don't really practice but I'd like to know if I have any potential.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3100
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern790
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)33 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:11:24 02:07:46
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/18.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/18.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length22.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width4608
Image Height2592
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: Original.jpg (1 MB, 4608x3072) Image search: [Google]
Original.jpg
1 MB, 4608x3072
This is the original, before editing. I'm a bit of a film addict so I edited with the intention of a cinematic look. I've never color corrected either kind of just messed around in Photoshop. If anyone knows any good links for that would you mind sharing? Thanks!

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3100
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern790
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)33 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:11:24 02:11:48
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/18.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/18.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length22.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width4608
Image Height3072
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2709220
Why would you edit in crop bars instead of just cropping the picture?
>>
>>2709230
Idk I just like the bars. I did crop the photo to 2.35:1 and have it in a 16:9 black background. Anyways can I get some feedback on the photo? I would post more but I'm on my phone.
>>
f/18.0?

Why? Just why?

Was going to say that it doesn't look as sharp as it could be, so I was wondering why that is. Then I had a look at the EXIF.

Diffraction, anyone?

Also, the black bars suck. And don't try to be funny by making them white. They would suck even more.
>>
>>2709268
Oh... The photograph itself.

Meh. Nothing special. I don't like the cut-off in the upper right half of the frame. That blue triangle feels a little weird.
Composition isn't that good. No leading lines, nothing.
The editing on the other hand is okay.
>>
>>2709268
f/18 because I don't know what I'm doing honestly. What would have been a better aperture? I thought you use a higher aperture when there is a lot of light.
>>
>>2709271
>That blue triangle feels a little weird
.. oh /p/ ... sigh
>>
>>2709280
f/8.0 would have been better choice.

Search for "Exposure triangle", this will explain the basic principles of how to correctly expose. It's not rocket science.

And, honestly...

It's perfectly ok to be a beginner. All of us have been through this. But... You should at least know the basic principles of photography before you think of doing anything else. You can ruin a wonderful photo by not knowing what you're doing.
Taking 25+ shots while twisting those knobs and pushing those buttons until you have a more or less correct exposed photo isn't the way to go. This way, you will hinder yourself from focusing on the more important aspects of photography, like composition etc.

So. Learn how to expose correctyl. Learn what ISO, f-number and shutter speed will do.
>>
Is there anything in this image that can be salvaged? Maybe by a crop or something?
>>
>>2709419
no just let it go, take a better picture, come back
>>
compositon not so good
f18 not good at all
editig on the other hand... very good, love the colors, keep shooting kid
>>
>>2709512

Yeah, I actually really like the editing too. The black bars are alright imo.
>>
Op here. So basically there's just nothing interesting about the picture and the composition is bad? Anyone for good links for that?
>>
>>2709512
not o'pea but what's wrong with ƒ18?
>>
>>2709621

he doesn't need to stop down that far
>>
The exposure is there, it's just not a compelling photo. What are you telling me with this photo?
>>
>>2709611
wtf is the subject?

Subject of the photo is nr 1 priority mate, then composition and lighting.
>>
>>2710246
The rocks and the tree?
>>
>>2711541

When you look at a photo, your eyes should come to rest on something, not scan everywhere in boredom.
>>
>>2709220
It's just nothing. I understand that you wanted to shoot 'movie frame' and it certainly looks like proper movie frame, but as a photo it's just nothing. No subject, no atmosphere, just generic photo of rocks and tree-thing.

Next time, pick something that you want to show and try to show it so viewer won't have to constantly move around in order to find 'this thing' like on your photo.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.