[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gear Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: PentaxK3_camera_BW-0081.jpg (331 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
PentaxK3_camera_BW-0081.jpg
331 KB, 1000x1000
Gear Thread

If you have questions about a new camera, what lenses to buy and anything related to gear or wondering about getting into photography, post it in this thread.
Do not attempt to make a new thread for your new Rabal, broken glass and being new. You have been warned!
I repeat, ANYTHING GEAR RELATED goes in here!

And don't forget, be polite!

Previous thread: >>2706747

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePENTAX
Camera ModelPENTAX K-01
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.0 (Windows)
PhotographerWALLACE_KOOPMANS
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2013:11:09 08:34:42
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastHard
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeMacro
>>
>>2709182
Nikon fags on suicide watch
http://briansmith.com/worlds-first-nikon-f-auto-focus-adapter-for-sony-e-mount/

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Macintosh)
Image Created2015-11-23T16:25:37-05:00
Image Width640
Image Height300
>>
>>2709190
>suicide watch
Hardly. Mirrorless will always be sub-par to DSLRs when it comes to moving subjects. No adapter can improve that flaw.
>>
>>2709182
I know this may get asked heaps but what are your recommendations for solid entry level? Specs, features or actual products.
>>
>>2709194
It depends what you want.
Best bang for buck is Pentax with the prism viewfinders, sensor shift stabilization and weather sealing, all /p/ agrees on it. A used K-30 or K-50 is around $300.
If you have access to lenses from one brand, it is better to get an entry level from that brand, like a Canon T6s or Nikon D3300/D5500. With Nikon the D3300 is said to be a very good deal with the D5x00 series adding very little to the D3x00.
Canon has somewhat worse sensors which get exaggerated here.
Best advice is get the one you feel more comfortable to use, try some in your local shop.
If you don't have a shop nearby just get a used Pentax off ebay.
I'd recommend getting a mirrorless only if you know what you are doing. With that, as a general dicking around entry level mirrorless, a used NEX 5r is a good choice, but feels weird in the hand compared to a proper grip on a DSLR.
>>
what's the best kind of b&w film to waste on novice street shooting?

I saw some expired b&w film at the shop, the guy told me it can be used with an IR lens filter to achieve infrared photographs. how do I get one of these filters for my Pentax MX?

where do I buy a nice strap?

thanks
>>
>>2709192

How's that, Anon?
>>
File: 15448938909732.jpg (82 KB, 600x382) Image search: [Google]
15448938909732.jpg
82 KB, 600x382
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement "bottom terminal cap" (pic related) for a Pentax K-5 iis. I've looked all over the internet with no luck, the camera was bought second hand from some random cunt so I can't get the part replaced by warranty.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot G5
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.5
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015-11-24T20:59:26+10:00
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length15.81 mm
Image Width600
Image Height382
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
>>2709222
Sensor integrated microprism PDAF can't detect as small movements as a proper optics based PDAF in DSLRs. Not to mention phase detection mostly works around the center of the image (due to physics) meaning the spread out PDAF Sony uses has even less data to work with. This is why you find the AF points grouped around the center in DSLRs.
With stills the difference is small because there is time for the contrast detection to help, but as soon as the subject is in motion, the hesitation will result in a lot of blurry out of focus shots. DSLR PDAF is much faster resulting in a lot more in focus shots, from 50% to 90%, where Sony A7 line only goes up to 30% keeper rate on moving subjects.
Not to mention most of these shootings involve telephoto lens making it a lot worse for the mirrorless AF systems.
>>
>>2709228
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/215278-rubber-plug-battery-grip.html
literally 10 seconds in google
>>
>>2709231

From what I understood from what you wrote, the sensor technology of DSLRs haven't been applied to mirrorless cameras?
>>
>>2709234
No, because the optics formula involves more distance. It was developed with the mirror system, but it is very accurate. Putting a similar PDAF optics formula on the sensor, even reduced in size due to the shorter distance because of the lack of a mirror system, it would protrude so much from the focus plane it would interfere with the image, effectively putting small shadows on the surrounding pixels with size depending on the lens. It could be done with a longer flange distance and with optical limitations but it would make the camera even bigger than a DSLR.
Putting a proper separated PDAF system can be done with a mirror, like the SLT system, but Sony is already killing it because of reasons.
>>
>>2709236

So are you saying the AF on rangefinders like the Contax G1 was shit?
>>
>>2709236
Thanks for your lengthy crock of horse shit.

You are aware that sony already have pdaf right?

And you're also aware cdaf gives more accurate focusing?

And that new Sony models use a combination of both to achieve fast af with more accurate focus than any dslr?

Yes, they haven't got tracking down to the same degree as a 1dx, but to think this won't be fixed in the a7iii range is straight up naive.
>>
>>2709192
>Mirrorless will always be sub-par to DSLRs when it comes to moving subjects.
An A6000 is surprisingly close to a D4S with its PDAF already, and the newer Olympus' and Panasonics are also doing quite fine as far as I can tell.

>>2709231
> Sensor integrated microprism PDAF can't detect as small movements as a proper optics based PDAF
The remaining problem seems to be with not so sharp lenses, but otherwise it is pretty much there already. And Sony is still improving in every generation.

The D4S and 1D X remain a bit better, yes, but I see no reason to assume that's an insurmountable obstacle.

Besides most people here won't care much. If you're shooting with like a D5500 or 5D II or something -like most of /p/ does- you currently have a worse AF system anyways.
>>
>>2709194
Whatever fits your needs and budget.

Yesterday I picked up a Sony nex c3, which uses the same sensor as the pentax k5. Yes it has a couple of crutches - 200 iso is the minimum, there's no flash compensation for the Diddy little flash, no evf, the rear screen is mediocre at best and it has limited controls. But it was £20. This camera still woops every aps-c canon for image quality and fits in my pocket with a lens and flash attached! £20! I only went in the shop to buy a Sony battery for my a7, they wanted £40 for that, but the c3 came with a brand new one.
>>
File: $_57[1].jpg (353 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
$_57[1].jpg
353 KB, 1600x1066
>>2709242
How'd you get that for 20 quid mate?

I've found one on ebay for 160 aussie funbucks, pic related. What do you reckon?
>>
>>2709232
>literally 10 seconds in google
>thinks I haven't already seen this exact forum
Did you even bother checking the link posted in there, it has 404'd.
>>
>>2709231
>sony a6000 pdaf all over the frame
>nikon d3300 and canon rabal tiny pdaf
>>
>>2709242
jelly as fuck.
would have bought.
>>
>>2709242
>I only went in the shop to buy a Sony battery for my a7, they wanted £40 for that, but the c3 came with a brand new one.
Neat.

Well, if you need more batteries, just order chinese ones. ~$5 a piece, about as much as they should be.
>>
>>2709202
>what's the best kind of b&w film to waste on novice street shooting?
My favorite is Tmax, but if you're really wasting it you can get the cheap knockoff stuff (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ALZSTA) I just got a roll of that, haven't tried it yet but it's supposed to be similar. You can save some money by getting the 100' roll and spooling it yourself as long as you have a dark place and some patience.
>how do I get one of these filters for my Pentax MX?
You can find them easy on ebay or amazon, just search for ir filter. The important part is the filter thread diameter which is usually written on the front of the lens. It's probably 52mm.
>where do I buy a nice strap?
A guitar shop. Get a swivel for it.
>>
>>2709243
4 days left to bid though, it's going to go up in price by a fair bit mate.
>>
>>2709228
I would ask Ricoh/Pentax. They have a replacement part service.

http://support.us.ricoh-imaging.com/node/654
>>
>>2709243
I went in, saw the body on its own for £50, asked to have a play and I found one of the buttons didn't work, so he said I could have it as is for £20. Took it home, gave it a clean and she's golden.

This is a second body for me, I use an a7 usually but wanted something I wouldn't care about on the beach/busy streets/in rain etc.

If this will be your only camera, look at the nex 5r if there isn't a huge price jump. It's a lot better built and much nicer to use without the caveats I found with the 3 - one of the reasons the c3 works for me is that I use lenses with manual aperture rings, which removes the need for a dial on the body.

Having said that. That's a fine little starting bundle that will definitely help you learn the basics. With both lenses it's not a bad price at all! (not that they are great lenses, but they will work fine for starting out).

>>2709246
:D

>>2709257
I've had mixed luck with chinks, 4 have been put straight in the trash, 3 are alright. The white ones tend to be OK. I love a bargain but despise cheap shit, there's a fine line that China is usually the wrong side of.
>>
>>2709265
> there's a fine line that China is usually the wrong side of
Can't say I have such problems with China, and I buy hundreds of things a year.

Not too sure how you managed to get four bad batteries out of seven...

I however also only rarely buy from eBay or Amazon or such, most of it is directly from decent chinese export stores and aliexpress.
>>
>>2709264
Cheers man, I'll give this a try
>>
What medium format film camera for under 1k (body with lens) would /p/ recommend?
>>
>>2709321
So much it depends.
Pure image quality - pentax 67
Pretty, compact and high quality - hassleblad
Convenience - texas leica
>>
>>2709323
Thanks for the answer. I want to shoot some portraits and landscapes, and the biggest concern is reliability. It's like buying a rusty cold war tank from ebay.
>>
So I'm looking to buy my first camera for pretty cheap, and was thinking about getting the Canon EOS Rebel T5 with 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses, and the Yungnuo 50mm f/1.8 lens. I found the all of it on sale for about $500 total instead of $800. I'm looking for at least pretty good camera for photos and videos, that are cheap too. Would this be good?
>>
First time on this board and I would like to post my setup. But since I'd like to link my EXIF and do not know how, how would I go about doing it? Using LR6 if that helps.
>>
>>2709332
Well, it will be cheap. All the lenses as well as the body aren't that good.

Arguably, you can't really expect much more for this little. I'd personally still probably go with a Nikon D3300 and one or two better lenses rather than three pretty bad ones, though.

>>2709335
If you have EXIF information in your image it will just happen.
>>
File: DSC08367.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSC08367.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2000
So here is my Setup (please excuse the bad angle and lack of focus I am working on my technique) Any suggestions on my current setup?

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareILCE-6000 v2.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2015:11:24 09:30:03
Exposure Time1/5 sec
F-Numberf/14.0
ISO Speed Rating3200
Brightness0.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
more of a question about gear and its use

still an amateur so my question is :

a different lens, is going to change the tone of my camera?

let's say i got a sony a6000 or a pentax k-50, doesn;t really matter i guess, if a change the lens, what are the primary differences i'm going to notice?any tone differences?

different lenses, except from the focal length and the mm, what differences do they make on the camera and the photo ?

newb question, excuse my poor english. hope you got what i mean.

also, i've seen lots of lenses, i've seen 50-110mm lenses that cost 250$ and 50-110mm lenses tha cost 1.250$. why's that big difference? the previous questions i guess, will give me an answer for this question too.

thanks in advance
>>
>>2709344
It is very good already.

Couldn't hurt to have a 90mm FE macro or 85mm Batis, though. Maybe a 70-200 f/4, too.

Or some speedlight(s).

Oh, and some micro fiber cleaning towels - dust everywhere, including on your glass.
>>
Thank you for the tips and advise. I was able to get this setup for a very good price thru my job, so I'm currently saving for a the 90mm Sony macro you mentioned.
>>
>>2709288
If you've read that forum post through you would know the guy did the same, asking Pentax and had one shipped for free.
Reading comprehension much?
>>
>>2709346
> if a change the lens, what are the primary differences i'm going to notice?
Different sharpness / resolving power (most lenses actually can't resolve anywhere near 24MP), different field of view, maybe different possibilities for your depth of field.

Obviously there also can be a difference in the quantity and quality of knobs and rings on your lens. And maybe it has built-in stabilization motors, maybe less noisy / faster / (marginally) more precise autofocus motors, weather sealing, a rotate-able tripod mount, or other features.

> any tone differences?
Depends. Old lenses often have slight discoloration and cheap lenses do have some (usually correctable) chromatic aberrations.

Discoloration isn't so common with new lenses, neither are very strong flaring effects when you point them at the sun.
>>
>>2709351 (cont'd)
On Pentax's mounts and Sony's E-mount, I'd say you usually get pretty much what you paid for. I quite often buy the more expensive ones.

[There of course are the odd few lenses that may not be such a great deal anyways, and your valuation of the usefulness of the FF lenses on an A6000 may vary.]

PS: On the native lineup of brands other than Sony and Pentax, a lens hood may also be one of the commonly used accessories that is often not included with the lens. Some companies have made ripping you off for that $0.3 to produce piece of plastic part of their business plan because they know it's one of the most useful accessories (you basically never want the light that it shields, and it helps a lot with the physical protection of the lens' front glass at no cost in image quality).
>>
Whats a good economical camera for a guy looking to make a stop-motion animation?
>>
>>2709351
>>2709353
you pretty much covered any possible question i had. thanks for the fast response and your time to explain this.

for the record, i've a sony a6000 with a 16-50mm f/3.5 kit lens. it's great for my level. so i asked these questions, just in case in the future i'll need an upgrade. tho, it won't be soon.

i'm mainly interested in street and portrait photography so a lens upgrade is going to be the ideal upgrade i guess.

ps : sometimes discoloration looks really charming on a photo. hopefully i'll have the chance to get a cheap-old lens, just to mess around with ^^
>>
>>2709354
Almost anything with a flash hotshoe - maybe a D3200? [Obviously a tripod mount threading too, but you almost couldn't have found any without that].

You probably want a YN560TX on it to trigger a bunch of YN560 III / IV speedlights or something like that. Reproducible and sufficient light -off camera, too- will be a big deal. Bigger than the camera body, probably.
>>
File: DSC03210.jpg (164 KB, 612x1000) Image search: [Google]
DSC03210.jpg
164 KB, 612x1000
>>2709355
> i'm mainly interested in street and portrait photography so a lens upgrade is going to be the ideal upgrade i guess.
Yes. The a6000 is really a rather good camera anyways at this point in time.

Consider the 60mm Sigma Art f/2.8 if you want a cheap & very sharp lens for portraits. Pic related ~1:1 crop of bunny. [That lens is a really, really good deal at ~$150, despite being APS-C only, and having center-only PDAF support and no in-lens stabilization.]

> ps : sometimes discoloration looks really charming on a photo. hopefully i'll have the chance to get a cheap-old lens, just to mess around with ^^
You can trivially edit it in in post with pretty much any image editor worth considering - including multiple free open source ones.

One way to do this: Just add a layer, fill it with a single color or a gradient or whatever, blend it in the way you want with your photo, done. Wouldn't get a lens or even a color filter just for that.

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)90 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:11:01 00:38:14
Exposure Time1/750 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Brightness8.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length60.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2709350
>literally 10 seconds in google
>Reading comprehension much?
First you assume I can't do a simple google search, now apparently I'm too autistic to read through a couple responses in a forum. I saw the guys comment, the way he wrote it made it out as if it was replaced under warranty, hence why I mentioned my camera had no warranty in my original post.
>>
>>2709356
thank you
>>
>>2709366
Do you really think no warranty means nobody will sell you any replacements? How old are you, 12?
Do your own research, pick up the damn phone, write an email, stop pestering us with nonsense.
>>
>>2709368
PS: You probably also want a remote trigger so you don't always have to run back to the camera, which also helps with some of the vibrations you might get on the tripod if you trigger without delay timer.

In the case of the Nikon and other cameras with this feature, you can use an IR emitter (they cost like $2 if bought in China) as trigger.

If the camera you want doesn't have that, you probably need a sender/receiver pair that hooks up to the mic in / shutter release port, an USB port, the hotshoe, by wlan or bluetooth with your smartphone [...].

Almost any IL camera has some way to be remotely triggered (and almost any has some cheap chinese - manufactured way to do it), though. It's more a suggestion that you might just buy the required accessory right away than one to take care to buy one with remote triggering ability.
>>
>>2709370
>Do your own research, pick up the damn phone, write an email, stop pestering us with nonsense.
Oh I'm sorry, next time I have a question regarding photography gear, I won't post it in the gear thread, because this is clearly not the right place. You hear that everyone, we are no longer allowed to ask questions in the gear thread, as it is too much of a nuisance to poor old anon here. How fucking braindead are you?

It was clear that I got the answer I was looking for right here >>2709264 and was done posting, yet you still found it necessary to comment 3 hours later. Here you are complaining about being pestered, when it was you who provoked this whole argument, you fucking autist. Oh the irony.

How about instead of telling people to fuck off out of a thread intended for asking questions, you either ignore the damn question or learn to not be such a useless cunt.
>>
>>2709421
>>2709416
I literally posted you the solution, but you ignored it and started to act like a crybaby about it
>I am so stupid please help me, not you, you didn't post the exact thing I have to open link and read. Aaah please spoonfeed me I am such a useless cunt!
Fuck off.
>>
D3200 v X-A1
Pros and cons of each?
>>
>>2709434
>I literally posted you the solution
What, a forum I had already seen with a 404'd link and some guy saying Pentax sent him a replacement? I already explained to you that I thought he was covered by warranty, fucking excuse me for not knowing they might send me a replacement regardless.

>but you ignored it and started to act like a crybaby about it
Hahaha, you are on delusional cunt.

Also good job ignoring everything I mentioned in my previous post, it's clear to see how upset you are over contradicting yourself that badly.
>>
File: Voigt 40b 1.jpg (48 KB, 617x329) Image search: [Google]
Voigt 40b 1.jpg
48 KB, 617x329
I just bought a Nokton 40mm F1.4 for my future Sony A7II.

There is a fuckhuge load of adapters Leica M to NEX, but none of them seems to be priced right.
Also I saw 10€ metal adapters on Ebay, are they any good ?

I don't plan to buy other lens because I'm really poor.
So I can't afford putting more than 50€ on that dumb piece of metal.
>>
>>2709509
>really poor
>buys overpriced Leica glass and overpriced meme camera
You are lying or you're an irresponsible kid with disposable income (aka "daddy").
If you really are poor you should've got a used a6000 or NEX 6/7, then you had much more money for better adapters and lenses. Or just got a cheap Helios or Pentacon.
Or simply buy a used DSLR with a fast 35mm prime and have more money to spend on your living.
>>
Didn't realize there was a new thread. copied from the old thread :

Who grey market here? Want to get a camera, and bigtimecamera.com and americascameracompany.com have cheaper bodies. What do y'all think?
>>
>>2709516
I'm a full time student with no income, yes.
I sold my Canon gears (70D and two lens) to buy the Nokton and the A7II because they are good and really light so I can carry them everywhere.
I'm not a gearfag so I don't plan on buying other lens or camera, that's why I bought those.
>>
>>2709509
>poor
>buys expensive gear
should have went with a used eos m
>>
>>2709565
>a7ii
>light
haha.
>>
>>2709509
Unless the adapter is made of plastic I don't think there's much of a difference between them, but in the future I would look for an adapter with helicoid for close focusing.
>>
>>2709190

yeah, so now it can focus hunt with nikkor lenses
>>
This thing. Yay or nay?

>but muh R I C O H G R
the A is quite a bit cheaper here. seems like more or less the same thing as the GR?
>>
>>2709624
The GR is an APS-C point and shoot with a fast 28mm prime lens, designed for pros or those who know what they are doing, specially designed for street shooting. That Coolpix is a point and shoot designed for soccer moms, old people and those who are still using a non-camera phone.
Seriously, it is the same as your phone, don't waste your money on that shit.
>>
>>2709631
what

the coolpix is also APS-C with a fast 28mm equiv prime lens so why is one designed for soccer moms and old people and the other one not
>>
>>2709600
Hey, I'm basically looking for a best digital camera I can buy for a £500 budget. What do you guys recommend?
>>
>>2709637
used Pentax K-50 or K-5 off of ebay
>>
>>2709639
Thanks
>>
>>2709637
Without a lens? Sony a7, you won't find another modern full frame camera in your budget.
>>
Are Achiever flashes any good for film photography? I can't find info on the company...Is it an American company or a Japanese company or what?
>>
>>2709648
How do you use a camera without a lens?
>>
What brand of lens adapters do you guys use/like?
>>
Basically I own an a6000. I got a sigma 30mm prime just to start of with.

The problem is despite it being a small camera, It is still to small for me to put in my jacket/jeans pocket. This leaves me with two options.
1) Store it in a bag and take it out when I need it; I have been doing this and it is really starting to piss me of, I also miss photo opportunities by the same I have got it out the case.
2) Have it on a strap, which I find gets in the way and draws attention to me.

I know these sound like trivial problems but I am genuinly regretting my purchase, and instead are considering getting a high quality compact, such as the ricoh.

I do like the sound of the ricoh, but in all honesty, how much of an issue is the dust problem? And am I really going to sacrifice a lot of image quality by switching to the ricoh?

Advice is much appreciated
>>
>>2709673

>>
>>2709635
He's just playing ya. Still tho I'd reccomend the ricoh over the Coolpix A, even if it's just for ergonomics. It's an extremely tactile camera, your fingers rest right on the buttons and wheels. If you can try both out you'll probably find one you like the most, but I'd wager that'd be the Ricoh.

The Ricoh is also entering into 'cult camera' phase meaning you'll get some legit resale value. I bought mine when it first came out for $800 Australian buckeroos, and sold it a few days ago for $650. Pretty good if you ask me, considering I put about 15k shutter actuations on it
>>
>>2709681
thats what i mean by strap
annoying af
>>
>>2709673
so get a pancake lens for the a6000. the 16 is a little soft at the corners but the 20 isn't bad
>>
>>2709689
the pancake sucks
>>
>>2709606
This is wrong

I started the adapting craze probably five years ago
I can tell you from experience that cheap adpaters fall apart and the good ones don't. One cheap chinese adapter developed an unexplained rattle and looseness that allowed the lens to wiggle (despite being solid metal, yes.) Another $30 USA adapter is slightly looser in mounting, but it was tighter than a normal lens to start with.

This is pretty typical behavior. If you're poor, you can make do with a cheap adapter but expect some kind of wiggle or play to develop sooner or later.
>>
>>2709631
hahaha - confirmed for ricoh gearfag. anyone who thinks the Coolpix A is designed for "soccer moms" is an idiot....
>>
>>2709685
>wrist straps are annoying
>>>/out/
>>
But seriously, do you guys really put 250$ on an leica m adapter ?
It's juste a piece of metal desu...
>>
So I am just going to be an idiot messing around with a camera taking photos and then I'll considering getting a lens or two and messing around with them, is the Nikon D3300 gonna be fine for what I am talking about.

Mostly going to be photographing animals to start with.
>>
>>2709755
Yeah pretty solid foundation if you haven't got too much cash to splash about
>>
>>2709190
Probably best to wait 2-3 more gen before Sony and the 3rd party adapter makers get things working at tip top shape. So now FE-Mount as AF adapters for Canon EF, Nikon F, Contax G, and Contax N mounts. Add in close-focus M-Mount since it beats standard M-Mount any day. They really have got it to be the universal mount.
>>
>>2709673
> Have it on a strap, which I find gets in the way and draws attention to me.
And you think a Ricoh or whatever is going to be different in terms of drawing attention? No, because people spot what you have in your hands anyways, especially if it has glass on it.

You'd have to wear a camera embedded and concealed in eyewear or your bag or whatever.
>>
>>2709793
This

When people are being photographed, it is the attention, and your motion that they notice. You are a 6 foot tall mass of 180lbs. The tiny thing in your hand isn't the red flag.
>>
>>2709669
I bought a random adapter in China, Minolta -> Sony E-mount. Don't even know the brand, but it works fine.
>>
>>2709755
Yes, surely.

But of course expensive lenses and a more expensive camera body would also probably be equally better for you as they are for everyone else.

I guess just consider if you can't spend a bit extra on lenses as well as the camera body.
>>
>>2709796

I didn't think it did.

The one I ordered was a cheap OM to EF adapter.
I just didn't want to buy all these adapters and find out they were shit compared to something else.

Another question for anyone who knows:

Are there any manufacturers of medium format to full frame telecompressors?
>>
Anyone else here use the Olympus VF1 on their Ricoh GR? Got mine today for $30 aud and it's perfect
>>
>>2709624
yes. get the black one.
and it was once $300 new.
>>
>>2709656
you buy a cheapo minolta md 50 1.7 for $20 and adapt.
>>
>>2709694
the 16 is crap. you might as well use the kit 16-50 as it is sharper.
the 20mm is good. sharper than the kit.
>>
Sony e-mount user and noob here. I've been wanting to upgrade from the kit lens to a prime for some time and right now I've narrowed it down between the Sony 35mm f/1.8 and the Sigma 19mm f2.8. I saw on the Sigma's product page that the 19mm is 35mm equivalent so that's why I'm comparing the two lenses in the first place.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 35mm because it seems a lot more versatile but it's double the price of the 19mm. Would the lenses be able to produce similar results? I realize the 19mm is 2 stops higher than the 35mm so I wouldn't be able to get as much background defocus and such, but that aside, what other differences would they have? I mostly want to shoot architecture, products, and occasionally portraits. Any recs or alternatives?
>>
>>2709822
>I've narrowed it down between the Sony 35mm f/1.8 and the Sigma 19mm f2.8. I saw on the Sigma's product page that the 19mm is 35mm equivalent so that's why I'm comparing the two lenses in the first place.
Uh, yea, but the 35mm will be a 52.5mm equivalent.

Well, I'd suggest to get that or the 28mm f/2 anyways, probably. For the Sigma Art f/2.8, the 60mm is much better - the other two lenses are kinda average to bad.
>>
>>2709822
> I mostly want to shoot architecture, products, and occasionally portraits. Any recs or alternatives?
Generally speaking? 90mm FE macro. Maybe the 85mm Batis.

Oh sure, the glass is pricey, but it also works fine on an A6000, though it is a little front-heavy. Either way, ~135mm equivalent is fine for portraits (especially head&shoulder style), products and architecture.

You could maybe also use the 60mm Sigma Art f/2.8 or 55m Sonnar T* f/1.8 for a 90mm equivalent setup.

Perhaps you should get these medium telephotos first because they usually look better when you can use them, but you'll also want a wider-angle lens (maybe a 35-50mm equivalent?) of your choice. You'll probably have some buildings and people that require it.
>>
File: samyang_16_f2[1].jpg (108 KB, 1000x687) Image search: [Google]
samyang_16_f2[1].jpg
108 KB, 1000x687
so I'm looking for a wide/ultra wide lens for a crop
so far samyang/rokinon seems like the best option for me
I think I've narrowed my search down to the 10mm f/2,8 or the 16mm f/2
experiences with samyang/rokinon? am I making a huge mistake? suggestions for other sub 500€ fast wide angle lenses?
>>
New to shooting on film. Do I need a special kind of film or lens filter for shooting under indoor/tungsten lights?
>>
>>2709905
I think pretty much everything 2013 or later that they released is okay for its price.

>>2709911
Yes, you might want to use a filter each for the various lights. Can't very well adjust WB on film otherwise.
>>
>>2709905
The 14mm/2.8 has the cleanest IQ, straight rectilinear with minimal distortion and almost zero CA and coma. Specifically used as wide field astrophotography lens for getting even and clean specular highlights in the corners.
>>
>>2709347
don't get batis.
get the 90mm. sharpest lens ever made.
>>
>>2709924
Batis is better for portraits or walkaround shooting, as far as I'm concerned. Still plenty sharp, wider maximum aperture by more than one stop, less heavy, and so on.

Well, if in doubt, get both.
>>
File: 1425164392377.jpg (164 KB, 800x788) Image search: [Google]
1425164392377.jpg
164 KB, 800x788
whats the best way to transfer pictures from a D5000 to an iphone?

I'm planing on traveling light and I'm not going to take my laptop with me.

I'm torn between the wireless adapter (wu-1a) and a lightning to sd card reader.

Problem with the the wireless is that people say the app is rubbish and drains battery life.

Problem with the sd card reader is that its not really designed by Apple (the Apple one is locked to work only with the Ipad, not the Iphone) so I'd have to buy a cheap chinese third party adapter which doesn't seem to work that well desu.
>>
>>2709937
Wireless SD card. They're cheap and do the job well. The one I have just makes a wireless hotspot and you can access the photos from an app or any web browser. It's awesome and fast
>>
>>2709720
The £10 ones are fine.
My leica one has a helicoid aswell for extra close focus.
>>
>>2709939
what's the model you've got?
>>
>>2709953
I've got a Trek Flucard but I'm pretty sure they're discontinued now. Probably one of the weaker models on the market.

The EyeFi cards are the best, they have companion apps for all major systems
>>
whats a decent cheap fisheye for k mount?
>>
>>2709954
don't these EyeFi stuff require a monthly payment or something like that?
>>
>>2709966
nope. It's a small wifi router that serves the pictures to your phone etc, as well as serving as an SD card. At no point does it connect to the internet
>>
File: Screenshot 2015-11-25 10.00.18.png (1 MB, 1978x958) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2015-11-25 10.00.18.png
1 MB, 1978x958
>>2709968
I figured it would be somthing like that, yeah. But this got me confused. pic related.

Please forgive technological retardation, I'm an old man.
>>
>>2709970
Oh yeah my mistake. EyeFi has the option to upload your photos to the cloud if you want it. You can just turn it off though
>>
File: 1418050578535-0.jpg (1 MB, 2022x1503) Image search: [Google]
1418050578535-0.jpg
1 MB, 2022x1503
>>2709971
Alright. So its just like a bonus feature of some sort. They sell the sd card with the built in wifi and offer some sort of cloud service (like dropbox). If you want you can just use the eyefi as a wireless sd and ignore this cloud business, yeah?

Thanks for all the help.
>>
>>2709972
Yeah pretty much. The cloud thing just organizes your photos and uploads them to a site you can access anywhere, but it never forces you to use it (if I remember correctly it's turned off by default).

If you're not sold on this one though there are a number of other Wireless SD cards on the market. I've even had reasonable success with ebay knockoffs
>>
>decide I'm going to buy an RX100 to video overseas trip
>second hand RX100 II's all over ebay/etc
>save for a few weeks so I can get one
>literally no mark II's for sale anymore

y
>>
>>2709905

>crop

Tokina 11-16 2.8 f.a.m.

>FF

Samyang 14mm 2.8
>>
Buying my first camera and spotted a sony a5000 on special this friday. Worth it? 300USD
>>
>>2709981
yessir
>>
File: m43_vs_apsc2-700x830.jpg (163 KB, 700x830) Image search: [Google]
m43_vs_apsc2-700x830.jpg
163 KB, 700x830
Is there even any reason to have APS-C DSLRs anymore?

One of the last remaining excuses for their existence has been for wildlife and tele sports photography. But now this?

You get a half stop better ISO performance and thats it. Usually wildlife photographers are wanting more DoF, so bokeh fags need not apply.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Created2015:11:22 14:55:04
Image Width1080
Image Height1280
>>
>>2709995
>Is there even any reason to have APS-C DSLRs anymore?
Yes, because APS-C DSLRs at least have a decent AF system.
You would know the difference if you went outside for shooting at least once in your life. Why are mirrorless fags the biggest gearfags?
>>
Is there like a reversible M42 to M39 mount I can use with my rangefinder and Pentax SLR?
>>
Anyone know of any good black friday deals?

i want to pick up a more professional camera but i dont want it to cost an arm and a leg
>>
>>2709999
Because as soon as you pick up a decent mirrorless, you realise what a dumb idea the slr is.

You have a box, that takes up most of the camera, just so a mirror can flap about, jokes.
>>
>>2710003
You have zero idea what you are talking about.
It is best if you just give up photography and kill yourself.
>>
>>2710002
I would also like to know
>>
>>2709999
Its like you think that all mirrorless cameras are the EOS-M.

Have you used an Olympus, Fuji, or Sony mirrorless in the last 4 years?
>>
>>2710010
Yes. And my DSLR gives the best results, hence I keep using it.
>>
>>2710005
Please, elaborate.
>>
>>2710013
Sounds like user error to me.
>>
Just got my hands on a Fujifilm XT10

Where can i go to get cheap lenses for it?
Are there any knock off brands that sell cheap ass shit?
>>
>>2710034
no, because the lenses must have aperture rings, existing 3rd party lenses can't be re-mounted to Fuji x. Zeiss made a crappy lens line for it once
>>
>>2710034
you can use nearly any lens in the world with the addition of a $15 adapter off ebay.

Make sure the lens has a physical aperture ring, or you will need a more expensive electronic adapter.

the cheapest focal lengths to get you started will be 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 135mm, m42 and k mount will probably be the best ratio of availability and affordability, but you will also find plenty of MD (sony/minolta), FD (Old canon) and F (nikon) stuff, Nikon tends to be a bit more expensive though.
>>
>>2710002
>>2710008
I went throug the Canikon & Sony rebate lists, there's really not a whole lot of particularly good deals. Most entry levels are around $400 to $500 depending on the kit / accessories. Outside of entry level, everythings priced pretty close to what it normally is on sale. The best "deal" I know of is for the Nikon 85mm 3.5 Macro & 35mm 1.8 sold together for $500 total.

>>2710003
You can make the argument that OVF > EVF, and that's totally true when it comes to considerations like lag. But honestly, EVF's have so many advantages (I'd even argue they are in fact more precise), and the quality has finally gotten good enough imo.

>>2710017
This.
>>
>>2710034
old slr lenses.
$10 adapter.
>>
Holy.
Fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL2mfyYaYVk
>>
>>2710060

For what purpose?
>>
>>2710060
ohgod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=65&v=yQ8DHtp2FzM
>>
>>2710061
Take picture with infinite focus points.
Pick ideal focus point in post, or stack different focus points for unlimited DoF when shooting at the sharpest aperture.
>>
>>2710061

Oh, shit, I didn't see the part where it said "post focus". That's some real shit. Poor lytro.
>>
WGDIB?

Own: Nikon D90 with grip, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Nikon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6G, Nikon 55-200 f/4-5.6G, Nikon 50 f/1.8D, Nikon SB-600.

Info: I originally wanted a new body, but that would require getting a new grip too, and I don't have the funds for that right now.

Want: either a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G or 18-105 f/3.5-5.6

Actually, I think I answered my own question with the specs. A 35mm forces me to think about shots and gets me great low-light performance.
>>
>>2710069
Don't buy gear because you have money to blow

Guy gear because every person who owns a nikon camera should have the 35mm 1.8
>>
>>2709983
No, you should be able to get an a5100 for that price.
>>
>>2710069
sell the kit lens and toy zoom and get a 24 - 70 and d600.

Why the fuck would you "require" a new grip.
>>
first DLSR

should i go for it?
>>
>>2710069
I just did that with my Pentax, got the nifty 35mm. It's f/2.4 but it opened up a lot of possibilities for me. No matter what camera or body you have, you must have a fast standard prime
>>
Got myself a m42 to FX adapter and gonna go to a huge flea market on the weekend to get some lenses. Any particular brands/models I should look out for? I'd like to get something wide, maybe a Macro lens if I can find one
>>
>>2710089
You already know the answer and probably already bought it. Now wait for it impatiently and when it arrives go out shootin'!
>>
>>2710069
>remove 18-55 and 55-200
>buy 35 DX
>???
>potential profit
everything else there is gud
>>
>>2710092

haha i was going to get it when i get paid on friday morning, hopefully the sales are still going on
>>
>>2710100
Compare it to the Pentax K-50. Weather sealed, bright pentaprism, all around better bang for same(ish) buck
And get the DA 35/2.4 for it.
>>
>>2710103

I already have the Nikon Coolpix L830, which has the same MP as the k-50...

I am very new to the camera technology and im assuming there is alot more than megapixels to consider, is there other things i should be looking out for?
>>
>>2710104
Megapickles doth not the photo maketh.
Don't compare a shitty point and shit to a rugged DSLR!
Look up sensor size and exposure
Read the sticky
Read books, start with Bryan Petersons Understanding Exposure.
>>
File: 55-200mm-vr-lens-and-ring-flash.jpg (560 KB, 862x1000) Image search: [Google]
55-200mm-vr-lens-and-ring-flash.jpg
560 KB, 862x1000
Bought a Nikon D3200 two months ago. Here is the only gear I have yet.

What should my next purchase be if I want to shoot in really dark situations? A fast prime, a Speedlight, or something else?

I live in Scandinavia, we get ~5-6 hours of sunlight a day for 9 months a year... but I'm sick of shooting the same boring indoor snapshits.
>>
>>2710109
>only gear I have
...aside from the D3200 and the 18-55mm kit lens, of course.
>>
>tfw I got a 600mm f4 lens for free but have no camera for it
>>
>>2710089
shoulda gone for a mirrorless, they are much better for learning photography with.
>>
>>2710089
Yes, go for it . I bought it recently. Is awesome, especially the sensor.
>>
>>2710113
go away shill
>>
>>2710109
what is that sticker on the lens?
>>
>>2710089
Go mirrorless. E-M5, E-M5 Mark II, E-M10 Mark II, GX8.
>>
>>2710117
Looks like a note reminding him to use f/11-16 when at 200mm.
>>
>>2710117
As >>2710128 said, it's to remind me. That's the aperture range where the lens is the sharpest, apparently. It use it with my tripod (forgot mentioning I also have a very cheap one of those).
>>
>>2710137
But it's not. You're sucking up diffraction by that point. Try F8 or so. Do some experiments.
>>
>>2710113
Definitely not better for learning. Working with the numbers and learning what they do to the picture is much more conductive to learning than looking at constantly changing graphs and the live-view which is based on your current JPEG settings, not on the actual data you're capturing.

>>2710139
This makes me laugh every time. On cheap-ass lenses, the aberrations of the lens at larger apertures often have a greater effect of softening the image than the pixel-level effect of diffraction. I have an older super telephoto that's sharper at f/22 than f/8, or f/4. Actually get out and use your gear sometime.
>>
File: 51DwUc4M2GL._SL1001_.jpg (44 KB, 1001x1001) Image search: [Google]
51DwUc4M2GL._SL1001_.jpg
44 KB, 1001x1001
Question:

Doing a portrait photo shoot using speedlights (shoe mount flash), but I haven't used soft boxes before.

Will I be okay using a Neewer octagon softbox? or should I invest in a larger set up like the Cowboy Studios softbox?
>>
For 1.5k what would a good setup be for a GH4
this includes

>ND/Matte Box
>recorder
>minimal audio package
>power
>storage

I'm putting together a GH4 pre-package that would be ready for paying clients without renting a different body and other extras
>>
>>2710109
what do you want to photograph?

it it's portraits you're doing, I would suggest getting a good speedlight.

if it's nature or landscape where there is a lot of ambient lighting I would go with a lens.

alternatively, purchasing a decent speedlight and saving up for a better prime is probably what I would try doing.
>>
>>2710146
You will be fine but make it off camera and higher than the subject. Get a reflector and things will be cool
>>
>>2710156
>>2710109
For portraits, a speedlight. The 55-200 isn't a bad lens for portraits, at least for it's price.
For landscape, I would get a good tripod, not a lens. Assuming you have the kit lens.
For nature, definitely save up for a good long lens.
And for street, a fast prime lens.

Personally, I would get a sigma art 30mm 1.4 to complement the two slower zooms with good sharpness and a lot of light gathering
>>
>>2710157
thanks for the response.
>>
>>2710060
>>2710062
This begs two questions:
1) Does it work in RAW?
2) Can you combine multiple images for deep focus?
>>
>>2710139
I'm not.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_afs_dx_nikkor_55_200mm_f_4_56_g_ed_vr_ii_review/sharpness_3/
>>
>>2710163
It's in camera, the one you choose will be saved as RAW
>>
>>2710156
>>2710159
Thanks, both of you. I'm not going to do portraits outdoors in the black night, and I'm too lazy to do the whole camping out with a tripod. I like shooting hand held whenever possible.

Propably a speedlight and a prime like the sigma, then. That should keep me covered for most use s.
>>
>>2710165
If this is true, I guess I can begrudgingly add another reason why I need to get a GX8 to the list. Any info on adding multiple together?
>>
>>2710168
No idea. Did you notice how long it took to take all the shots? Any slight movement can fuck that up, just like with the pixel shift detail thing Sigma, Pentax and Oly has.
>>
>>2710172
I did notice, though with a tripod AND dual IS I don't think there's going to be too much movement at all.
>>
>>2710185
There can be subject and background movement
This is a very limited feature, only with controlled environments in studios and inanimate subjects
>>
File: 1448349846202.jpg (142 KB, 796x606) Image search: [Google]
1448349846202.jpg
142 KB, 796x606
Can you guys give me some tips on what to look for when buying a camcorder? I want it to film 1080p, have a flip out screen, decent battery life, and somewhat cheap, but am wondering if there's any details I should think about or keep in mind, or brands to avoid, etc etc. Thanks!
>>
>>2710187
I'm obviously expecting to use this in situations where focus stacking would be an option anyways. And the alternative is a process which can take many seconds up to several minutes depending on the size and closeness of the object.
>>
File: bw.jpg (27 KB, 594x600) Image search: [Google]
bw.jpg
27 KB, 594x600
Does anyone have experience with B+W filters? Are they worth the money? I am in need of a really good ND filter and I'd need/appreciate some advice.
>>
File: 141219_091836-IMG_2352R_s.jpg (102 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
141219_091836-IMG_2352R_s.jpg
102 KB, 1000x667
>>2710197
I've got a B+W 55mm 10 stop for my EOS M. No obvious vignetting or loss of sharpness and it feels solid compared to my Hoya filters (if you care about that sort of thing).

The 55mm didn't cost much but the larger sizes can get pricey.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS M
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Camera Raw 8.5 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.6
Image Created2015:01:02 11:50:20
Exposure Time6 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length14.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
how did you decide on ƒ4.6 here? it worked well but i wouldn't have known to. how do?
>>
>>2710223
is for >>2710220
>>
>>2710104
a 16MP DSLR will shit all over a 16MP compact. MUCH larger sensor on the DSLR means better image quality in ways you wouldn't believe possible. Especially when the DSLR has a good lens.
>>
File: 140809_194632-IMG_0413R_s.jpg (124 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
140809_194632-IMG_0413R_s.jpg
124 KB, 1000x667
>>2710223
>>2710224
It's f16 (look further down the exif info), the f4.6 is the lens's widest aperture at that particular focal length.

My thought process was probably something like start at f8 which is the sharpest aperture across the frame (and more than enough DOF for that scene), but to blur out the motion in the waves and get a longer shutter speed I wanted to close the aperture down a bit. f22 has too much diffraction/softness so f16 seemed like a decent balance. And ISO 100 to maximise the EOS M's shitty dynamic range.

Have another one with the 10-stopper

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS M
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Camera Raw 8.5 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Image Created2014:08:10 00:09:12
Exposure Time15 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length11.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
so im planning on getting the sony a7 next month. should I get it with the kit 28-70mm 3.5-5.6 lens or just the body with a 50mm 1.8 prime? They come out to the exact same price I just want to hear your opinions, im too indecisive.
>>
File: IMG_2611.jpg (2 MB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2611.jpg
2 MB, 1200x800
>>2710220
Sounds good to me, anon. I need a 62mm 10-stop ND so the B+W one would be around ~$100.
Are there any differences between Hoya and B+W in terms of optical quality/degradation?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Macintosh)
Image Width5616
Image Height3744
Compression SchemeUnknown
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2015:06:09 18:12:04
Color Space InformationUnknown
Image Width1200
Image Height800
>>
>>2710273
Get the 50 1.8.. that kit lens is rather mediocre and does not perform that well.
>>
>>2710146
I recently bought one of their rectangular softbox.

It works for what it's worth, but it doesn't have sticks in the softbox so it can be a bit flimsy.
>>
Thinking about purchasing a FE 90mm macro.
I have a A7 and a Nex-6, would the lens on aps-c behave like a 135mm 1.5:1 macro?

Also would a close up filter with +3 dioptre on aps-c give me 2.5:1 magnification?

Any anon here got a better idea in increasing magnification with this setup, since there are no 2x tele-converters for e-mount and bellows or extension tubes doesn't make much sens with longer macro lenses, from what I read.
>>
So for my first camera, I found a Nikon D7000 and a 16-85 mm lens, for a bargain of $250 on Craigslist. I'm super low on money at the moment, but I really want it. Should I get it?
>>
Trying to help my sister pick out a Mirrorless Camera, She has never owned a camera, and I just have 2 DSLR but don't do anything close to professional.
Because she's new we are looking at Sony. Specifically the a5100 and a6000. From what I can tell they are basically the same, excluding sports mode.
Can someone tell me the differences as to better make a choice.
>>
>>2710310
Also considering the Fuji X-T10 for a different brand at a similar price range.
>>
>>2710185
IS+tripod=feedback loop=shitty pictures
>>
>>2710325
for long exposures.. not continuous light macro
>>
>>2710326
Whatever guy.
>>
>>2710310
This is literally the only use snapsport has (and it's damn good at it)
>>
>>2710325
IS+tripod+not shitty IS system that can detect tripods=???=profit

>>2710310
a6000s are probably going to get even cheaper heading into friday. a5100s more so. just remember your sister will probably use the rear screen only in auto mode because she's a scrub.
>>
>>2710310
Honestly, biggest difference for her is the a6000 will have an EVF (electronic viewfinder), where as the with the a5100 you can only use the back screen. There are many other differences, but they honestly probably wont come up at her level.

>>2710312
More traditional SLR-like design, much better viewfinder. The Sony's are probably a tad more user friendly for beginners, as is the system as a whole (in terms of lens selection). Best thing you can do is get em in her hands and see what she likes best. People on here have so much brand loyalty and place such emphasis on negligable differences and often ignore user experience. Any entry level is capable of amazing pictures and they all have minor pros / cons, so pick the one you enjoy using the most (in terms of menus, button layout, "feel", size, etc).

>>2710360
>a6000s are probably going to get even cheaper heading into friday
1 & 2 lens kits will be the same price as they are now (can't recall if body only is getting better IR's).
>>
>>2710310
Clearly the a6000 - flash hotshoe, EVF, slightly better built-in flash, faster continuous shooting, better build quality, more controls.

The a5100 has a tiltable LCD that can go into selfie "face towards subject" mode and retarded touch screen that can be only used for focusing (lel, not even the menus), that's really the only advantage.

It's not even really a contest, a6000 hands down.
>>
>>2710310
>>2710381 (cont'd)
PS: Alternatively, you hand her your DSLR and get the a6000 for yourself...? Both get an upgrade.
>>
>>2710383
>upgrade
:^)

>>2710381
remember, the camera's for a normie, not a /p/ro
>>
>>2710385
Yes, it's almost certainly an upgrade over most DSLR he could have.

> remember, the camera's for a normie, not a /p/ro
By EXIF data you see around here, It's better than most DSLR /p/ has - because /p/ isn't usually fielding 1D X, 7D X, D4S, D810 and the like.
>>
>>2710091
Bump?
>>
>>2710305
yes.
don't ruin your image putting some chink close up filter.
you can get an extension tube with electronic connection. it will still get you closer.
>>
>>2710381
a5100.
she will be glad of the selfie mode, less weight and compact size.
put it in intelligent mode and call it a day.
>>
>>2710427
They're almost the same size and weight.

And the selfie mode does not compensate for all the pieces the camera is missing, especially not since you can take easy selfies anyways with your smartphone telling you the scene and smile detection and shit like that.

The only risk here is that the a6000 will make you more jealous than a a5100 would.
>>
>>2710436
he's buying the camera for his normie sister.
the 70g weight reduction and 5-10mm smaller size will entice the normies more than look at all the buttons that they don't know does what.

trust me, i've been down this road before.

get the a6000 if he wants to "borrow" the camera.
>>
Is there an infographic somewhere on camera buying? In prevision of black friday can I get a recap on mirrorless entry level camera? A5000-6000, ricoh gh and olympia em5-em10?
>>
>>2710512
Read the sticky.
>>
>>2710512
a6000 for serious shooter.
gr or coolpix a for serious compact.
a5000 if poor.
epl6 if really poor.
something used if hobo.
g7 if video.
>>
>>2710512
A6000 if you ask me. A7 II or EM5 II also are good, but maybe more than you wanted to spend?
>>
>>2710060
sweet jesus
>>
>>2710512
No black friday deals will be better than buying used from Amazon or ebay. Be reasonable and stay out of the mass pummelings this year, with the #BlackLivesMatress movement it will be extra dangerous with a bit lighter skin color.
>>
>>2710060
Looks fun, but I don't think I'll get on that ride until a camera can capture such a shot "instantly".
>>
>>2710089
Ignore anyone who suggest a mirror less camera. They do not have the capacity of of DSLR. The d3200 is perfect for first timers. They allow you to dip your toes in photography. The two kit lens will do you great as they cover a wide range. As a result, you probably have lots to learn and can grow in the camera and learn how the camera works and learn technique without breaking the bank. After a while you, if you do actually like photography, you can upgrade lenses because you'll eventually realize your limitations, but even then, I wouldn't spend much unless then you know that you will have no need of going full frame in the foreseeable future. Stay away from gear threads as they are full of malicious people, like the two faggots who have already replied with >le muh no mirrored photon capturer

You git gud by reading on photography and more importantly, taking pics
>>
>>2710307
Yes, absolutely. Well, assuming that they want to get rid of it at any cost - not because it doesn't work. Check it thoroughly and ask the condition of it. That's a pretty ridiculous price so I'd be skeptical. D7100 is like near the high end spectrum of DX so you learn a lot and won't need a new body for a while.
>>
I'm thinking about upgrading from my D5000 into an D7100.

Is the D7200 worth the extra bucks?
>>
>>2710564
May not be. What kind of photography do you do and what are the limitations of your camera,if any, that have brought you to decision of upgrading?
>>
>>2710547
Canada bro, no #BLN bullshit here
>>
>>2710565
I want to use old lenses and I want a built in focus motor on my camera.
>>
>>2710588
Pentax
>>
>>2710453
I wish some people on here would understand that if a user isn't going to be using a feature, that freature shouldn't even be a factor in the "what to buy" process. For normies, the EVF is about the only tangible difference between the two, outside of that, should totally get lighter / smaller.

>>2710512
Go to photo store, try them all out, pick the one you like using most. You cannot go wrong nowadays, they're all exceptional. It's like how cars have a different "feel" when driving, pick the camera you like the "feel" of most. If you really can't decide, go with the Sony, they're definitely top dogs for the mirrorless market and you'll get the most support in terms of things like accessories.

>Ignore anyone who suggest a mirror less camera.
For a newbie, there isn't anything a DSLR can do that a mirrorless can't. There are several things mirrorless can that DSLRs can't though. They are absolutely a viable option.

>>2710588
If you're set on sticking with Nikon, save the money and get an older model like a D90, original D7k, D300(s), etc. Hell, you can even get older FF models for really cheap (D3, D700, D600, D800, etc) and that at least opens up new options in terms of photography.
>>
Guys any good camera for a begginer with discount this black friday? I was thinking of a "cheap" Cannon around 500eur. Any recomendations? Thanks!
>>
FUCKING WEABOO LOSERS GO DIE.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/caradelevingneisbae

LOL none of you will do shit...

>>
>>2710632
wrong board, faggot
>>
File: 41X5KXABEML._SX425_.jpg (15 KB, 425x358) Image search: [Google]
41X5KXABEML._SX425_.jpg
15 KB, 425x358
what kind of printer do you /g/uys use?
>>
>>2710636
HP 1510 scanner/deskjet combined
I print invoices, letters and various documents.
>>
>>2710001
Bumping..
>>
File: QSS3701.jpg (918 KB, 4064x2704) Image search: [Google]
QSS3701.jpg
918 KB, 4064x2704
>>2710636
>>
>>2710651
how much you get that thing for?
can it print my emails?
>>
>>2710325
>We have the technology systems to run two stabilization systems in tandem for our benefit and people are still technologically stupid enough to think this was a problem past 2004
>>
>>2710709
Get some proper higher education so you can realize how stupid you are.
The Viking of Second Semester Physics is looking at you in disgust.
>>
>>2710713
google: adaptive feedback cancelation
yes, the same principal of audio feedback applies to electro-mechanical instruments
>oh my, the sensor wants to make sine oscillations at this one frequency, that's not very like human hands
>cuts frequency from allowed spectrum
>problem solved
>>
Black Friday "deals"
What is better.

A cannon Rebel T5 with 18-55mm lens,75-300mm lens, Delux gadget bag :^)
for 399

or

Nikon D3300 with 18-55mm lens, 55-200mm lens, Bag
for 499

Or should I look for some other deal?

Looking to buy a camera.
>>
>>2710719
Buy used, it is cheaper.
Buy Pentax, it is best bang for buck.
Buy used Pentax, it is cheap with higher tier features.
>>
What would be a good camera choice for someone who wants to take still shots of indoor grown plants? My mom grows African violets and she wants to take good quality photos of them. I was thinking a Galaxy Camera 2 or maybe a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-WX350 with a telephoto lens. Thoughts pham?
>>
>>2710719
olympus em10 dual kit lens for $500.

>>2710735
>Galaxy Camera 2
pls no.
sony rx100 or olympus epl6.

>>2710734
pentax ks2 is pretty good if he wants new.

>>2710631
sony a6000.
>>
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/bedford/nikon-em-vintage-camera/1121419533

Should I go pick this up?

Never shot on film before and I'm looking to play around. Is this worth 20 cdn?
>>
File: cv42_em5.jpg (192 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
cv42_em5.jpg
192 KB, 1000x800
Anybody have experience with the Voigtlander Nokton lenses for m43? I was thinking about picking up the 42.5mm 0.95 for my E-M5 (just like pic related) but I already have the Olympus 45mm 1.8, which I like, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to spend the extra $800.

I shoot mainly portraits and that 0.95 is mighty tempting. I already shoot manual controls and manual focus, so that's not an issue, and I actually prefer aperture rings.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-E1
Camera SoftwareDigital Camera X-E1 Ver2.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.4
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)90 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2013-09-15T10:27:04-04:00
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Brightness-4.7 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length60.00 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height800
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2710745
I should not be surprised when a local shows up on here, but still

Nscad in twenty minutes if you want an ass kicking.
>>
A5000 with SELP1650 and SEL55210BB and a case for 410$usd. Should I buy? Newbie looking for entry level mirrorless for hiking pictures
>>
>>2710761
Do it. A5000 is almost as good as the A6000.
Needs more accessories, ex. you will need an external EVF if you want to use it properly with a stable hold.
>>
>>2710766
Are the lens okay or are they cheap lens put in there too boost the price rebate?
>>
>>2710767
Usual kit lens. One is wide to standard zoom, the other is standard to tele zoom. They are good and light so it is easy for traveling. The telezoom needs f/8-f/16 on the long end, 150-200mm range.
In short, you can make stunning photos with both if you know what you are doing.
>>
>>2710767
Sigma 60mm f/2.8 - favourite of mine. Will be a 90mm equivalent.
>>
>>2710766
a5100 is almost as good as a6000. a5000 is CDAF only. pretty much a rebranded nex3.
>>
>>2710784
a5100 has no hotshoe or option for EVF
>>
>>2710635
how'd you figure that one out, genius?
>>
just bought the crumpler jackpack half photo and half photo system for 9€ each
thank you based burgers for giving us black friday
>>
Question.

I want to make PCB photos, and I need a lens with flatter angles, so any taller parts (like cartridge slots, heatsinks, etc) do not appear "angled" from the center of the image.
As I understand, higher focal length gives flatter viewing angles. My current 18-55m lens, at 55mm, is not good enough, so I need something more.

I'm looking at the 17-85mm IS USM and the 18-135mm IS, as two possible improvements, they are both just about in my budget if I get them used.

The PCBs I want to take photos of are around 28 x 25cm in size. I have a Canon EOS with an APS-C sensor (1.6x conversion factor). My stand goes up 146cm at most.

What is the maximum focal length I can use, at those dimensions?

According to the calculator here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lenses.htm

1.4 meter distance, 0.3 meter object size, APS-C camera, equals 108mm focal length.

So the 18-135mm would be a better choice, if I want to get the angle as flat as possible, given the maximum size of my stand. Is this correct?

Or is my stand just not tall enough to take advantage of focal lengths higher than 85mm (making the 17-85mm a better buy due to its price)?
>>
Whats comparable to a Yashica T4 without the hipster tax (super sharp, no vignetting, 35mm f2.8 and small)?
>>
>>2710750
If you shoot mainly portraits, you will probably really like it. It is very sharp. Have you ever used the 75 1.8?
>>
>>2710836
It does have some purple fringing wide open in high contrast areas, though. Rent first.
>>
Does anybody know Rite Aids rates for 1 hour photo? Like to get some photos developed.
>>
>>2710861
https://shop.riteaid.com/info/photo-deals
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.