[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /p/, What camera I should look for during cyber monday. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: PANO_20150819_111818.jpg (4 MB, 6346x3018) Image search: [Google]
PANO_20150819_111818.jpg
4 MB, 6346x3018
Hi /p/,
What camera I should look for during cyber monday. I am a hiker and spend alot of time in nature. Recently I started taking pictures with my phone, and I want to upgrade to using a proper camera. I am not sure if DSLR are what I should be buying, or rather a point and shot or mirrorless or whatever. Any tips to help a newby? I am really looking for something entry level that produces acceptable pictures

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera ModelNexus 5
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Created2015:08:19 11:20:34
Image Width6346
Image Height3018
Metering ModeUnknown
Image OrientationUnknown
Light SourceUnknown
>>
what is your budget? "entry level" is pretty broad.

i got into photography in the same manner as you, i loved hiking. started with a nikon coolpix s9700 which is a decent option as its capable of decent macro photography (bugs) as well as very long zoom (bears) and wide-angle shots (landscapes). the sensor is the same size as your cell phone's, however. the shots weren't of optimal quality but it was way more versatile than a cell phone.

i upgraded to a full frame Nikon D750. that's unnecessary for you. i wanted to develop my macro photography more and started a small business with it. it's a full frame DSLR but i can still comfortably hike with it.

i'd look into the fuji x100t if you can afford it, great camera. the sony a6000 is another great option and you have the option of using different lenses. also the sony rx100s are a great hiker's camera

my thinking is, as a hiker, you're looking for a camera to produce nice wide-angle landscape shots in a relatively high amount of light. if you want to do wildlife too that really changes things.
>>
>>2708479
Thanks for the info. I am a student and my budget is limited sadly. I was looking for something around the 500-600$, or for some camera names to look out for on craiglists.
>>
>>2708482
but what kind of things are you looking to shoot?

honestly for $200 this could do a lot for you:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1120489-REG/nikon_26483_coolpix_s7000_digital_camera.html

at your budget i'd ignore pretty much any interchangable lens system... there's not much point IMO. there's plenty of decent point & shoots in your budget to learn photography basics with and take hiking shots.
>>
>>2708488
Landscapes mostly. Pictures from top of mountains, sunsets, forests and the likes. No macro and maybe some wildlife.
>>
>>2708482
A6000 kit. Or maybe just a rx100 of sorts. Or a Ricoh GR.
>>
Are Coolpix camera of the P series and the L series worth it? Couple of P530 and L820 and L830 on craiglist at around 225$
>>
>>2708497 (cont'd)
... or a Nikon D3x00 or Pentax K-50 or such. Also good.

>>2708488
> there's not much point IMO
I feel there is a lot of a point, you can buy 2 lenses for the anyways better sensor / better hardware / usually better operation entry-level DSLR or MILC.

Okay for the A6000 I mentioned first the second lens would be a vintage one on an adapter... or two Sigma Art primes rather than the kit lens or whatever. But it is good anyways.
>>
>>2708498
I'd go for something like the Canon 300 series (310, 320, 330, etc. HS i thinkisbetterthannot hs). Why? Magic Lantern (a firmware hack that gives you much more functionality).
>>
>>2708508
CHDK arguably isn't too bad either.
>>
>>2708513
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Better choice for non video use too.
>>
What about DSLR vs Mirrorless?
>>
>>2709075
Main issue is AF speed and Battery life.
AF wont matter with landscapes, depending on the wildlife AF may matter.
Mirror less battery life is aids.
My 550D last well over 600 shots (rated to atleast 400+) and only cost $300 USD in good condition.

If you dont mind shit battery life then go mirrorless for weight and size.
I find the 550D is a good compromise for decent AF and greatt battery life while also being relatively light and small for DSLR
>>
>>2709098
> Main issue is AF speed and Battery life.
If you have an A6000, A7 II, A7R II, that AF is typically faster than your 550D's.

> My 550D last well over 600 shots (rated to atleast 400+)
That's also like a mirrorless. Sonys newer mirorrless cameras (a6000, a7 II, a7r II a7s, a7S II - I think) are typically rated for 350-450 shots on their small 40g batteries. Carrying a few of those or using a battery grip with 2 inside also isn't much of an issue if you need to.

YMMV on like Fuji and older Olympus (new Olympus like the EM5 II also seem quite nice now).
>>
>>2708488
>tiny sensor like your micro penis.
no.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNW5ALS/ref=s9_hps_bw_g421_i10
>>
>>2708482
Look around on ebay, craigslist and such. I picked up an almost brand new Pentax K-5iis, with two batteries, a Sigma 18-125mm F3.8-5.6 DC, a few other lenses and some other accessories for only $407. You just have to be patient and look around.
>>
>>2709118
lol then dont get the 550d like me.
I've only heard about mirrorless from DSLR biased people.
If cameras like the a6000 are better then get it.
>>
So bottom line i should buy an a6000?
>>
>>2709670
Yes.
>>
Found a ILCE5000LB (Sony A5000 from what I understand) for 400$ Canadian Pesos (300USD). Is that worth it?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.